Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

I do not mind Craig coming back but Mendes would be a disaster. We kow need an actioner and no more navelgazing shite and it is very clear that a big boom is Mendes idea of an action scene.
    Getafix wrote: »
    He gave a very frank interview recently where he basically said there was a disagreement about the portrayal of his character. He was very honest in admitting he didn't nail it. The impression he gave was of someone who didn't particualrly enjoy the experience and felt they had not been allowed to give their all. Someone will be able to find it. It was posted on here very recently.

I've been away for long, like @Major_Boothroyd I didn't know there was any bad blood between the two. I don't think Waltz quite nailed it but then I never thought Blofeld was nailed by any actor so far. I think his performance would improve in a second movie in the role.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Savalas is the best Blofeld. However, none has really nailed Flemings Character.
    Bring back Dalton!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Bring back Dalton!

DALTON RULEZ™
  • GBFGBF
    Who would Dalton play? Maybe Blofeld's uncle who is out there for revenge because Mr. Oberhauser liked Bond more than his own brother.
    I think Dalton's version of Bond was way ahead of the general cinema going audience. These days people demand a gritter style. I would say IF Dalton did do GE it would have been in the way of TLD rather than LTK. Purely because of the bad reaction to it.
    It would have been interesting to see Dalton's version of GE. I could see Dalton driving the tank. It's a bit like when George Lazenby had followed up with DAF rather then leaving the door open for Connery to return, it would have been interesting to see the different take on it with Lazenby.

• rog008 wrote: »
    I think Dalton's version of Bond was way ahead of the general cinema going audience. These days people demand a gritter style. I would say IF Dalton did do GE it would have been in the way of TLD rather than LTK. Purely because of the bad reaction to it.
    It would have been interesting to see Dalton's version of GE. I could see Dalton driving the tank. It's a bit like when George Lazenby had followed up with DAF rather then leaving the door open for Connery to return, it would have been interesting to see the different take on it with Lazenby.
    Dalton & Lazenby both absolutely should have had a few more rounds.

Just imagine: if Lazenby had hung around until he was as old as Moore in his last movie, he would have been in freaking GOLDENEYE @-)
    rog008 wrote: »
    Dalton & Lazenby both absolutely should have had a few more rounds.

Just imagine: if Lazenby had hung around until he was as old as Moore in his last movie, he would have been in freaking GOLDENEYE @-)

and would have starred in 12 Bond films.
    No chance of that..Lazenby's lack of presence and acting would have been found out after he did OHMSS,DAF,and LALD....
    barryt007 wrote: »
    No chance of that..Lazenby's lack of presence and acting would have been found out after he did OHMSS,DAF,and LALD....

Your probably right. But he does a great job in OHMSS and I'd have loved to see him in a proper revenge DAF
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In my view, Laz in OHMSS benefited from much the same elements that Broz did in GE, but only more so. The cast & story were top notch, but in addition he had wonderful cinematography, an impeccable score & a faithful Fleming adaptation anchoring the whole thing. Like Brosnan's first outing, it was essentially lightning in a bottle. I'm certain that his limitations would have been laid bare if he had an opportunity to continue.
    Lazenby's strength is his relative lack of self awareness and therefore the freshness he brings to the screen. He would have lost this rapidly but would still have liked to see him in DAF.

GE 'lighting in a bottle'?! More like a can of Special Brew regurgitated into the gutter on a Friday night.
    Lazenby's strength is his relative lack of self awareness and therefore the freshness he brings to the screen. He would have lost this rapidly but would still have liked to see him in DAF.

GE 'lighting in a bottle'?! More like a can of Special Brew regurgitated into the gutter on a Friday night.

You mistake GE with Skyfall

I am no fan of SF, but GE is immeasurably worse on every single count.

I am no fan of SF, but GE is immeasurably worse on every single count.

every single point?
    Gun-barrel?
    Maybe not the gunbarrel. I will give you that one!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    What about leading lady? I'll take Scorupco any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Dench.
    I was never a fan of Scorupco. I really can't stand that movie.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »
    Yes, Craig lost brownie points with me as well after the faux suicidal ideations he made.

Very much agreed. I was also rather confused by the lengths that some were willing to go to in order to defend Craig for those comments, while outright slamming Brosnan for having the slightest critique of SPECTRE while having nothing but praise for Craig's work in the film.

The fact of the matter is that Craig is not the first actor to attempt a serious portrayal of Bond, yet it would seem that the media would like to crown him as such, or at least the first to attempt it since Sean Connery. While it would be nice if Dalton would get the credit that he clearly deserves, if for nothing else but attempting to bring the franchise back to something both closer to the novels as well as more in line with the tone of the original films as opposed to the camp of Diamonds are Forever onward, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. Still, hopefully Craig's films have caused a few people to go back and give Dalton another look, and see that he was ahead of his time rather than the failure that many people perceive him to be.

My opinion of Dalton has swayed back and forth ..thanks to a few here that have encouraged me to reevaluate Dalton I am back on board.

I was a fan of Dalton during his tenure as Bond but I felt alone ...

I have been critical of Dalton here but that's changing. I was too harsh...

My gripe against the Dalton films still remains to be Glen. I really wish another director had helmed Dalton's outings.

Sorry ...the acting in those two especially LTK just ruins what should have been classic outings.

Sorry I had to vent.

May be if we can convince you to reassess Dalton then we can also get you to reevaluate the criminally under appreciated John Glen as well. The man gave cinema some of the most iconic action sequences ever committed to celluloid and (IMO) five of the most consistently entertaining entries in the whole series. Even his less good films as Bond director have a lot going for them.

His action sequences for LTK have been referenced and ripped off by so many other films and yet people make out that he's a director of no consequence.

I appreciate that but I'm sorry I really am not a Glen fan.

But yes I do agree that Glen did give us some iconic and often copied action sequences.

And whomever mentioned the "chase bomb" sequence in OP is right. I love that part of the movie. OP is one of my favorites.

Truly respect your opinion though.

So OP is one of your favourites but you don't rate Glen...?

I'll try and work that one out later.

OP is top ten material for me. Possibly Moore's best.

Yup I like OP ...nope not a Glen fan. Glen got worse each film after OP and ignoring the Tarzan yell and tennis sound effects OP is his best.
    Yes, Craig lost brownie points with me as well after the faux suicidal ideations he made.

Very much agreed. I was also rather confused by the lengths that some were willing to go to in order to defend Craig for those comments, while outright slamming Brosnan for having the slightest critique of SPECTRE while having nothing but praise for Craig's work in the film.

The fact of the matter is that Craig is not the first actor to attempt a serious portrayal of Bond, yet it would seem that the media would like to crown him as such, or at least the first to attempt it since Sean Connery. While it would be nice if Dalton would get the credit that he clearly deserves, if for nothing else but attempting to bring the franchise back to something both closer to the novels as well as more in line with the tone of the original films as opposed to the camp of Diamonds are Forever onward, I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. Still, hopefully Craig's films have caused a few people to go back and give Dalton another look, and see that he was ahead of his time rather than the failure that many people perceive him to be.

My opinion of Dalton has swayed back and forth ..thanks to a few here that have encouraged me to reevaluate Dalton I am back on board.

My gripe against the Dalton films still remains to be Glen. I really wish another director had helmed Dalton's outings.

Sorry ...the acting in those two especially LTK just ruins what should have been classic outings.

Sorry I had to vent.

May be if we can convince you to reassess Dalton then we can also get you to reevaluate the criminally under appreciated John Glen as well. The man gave cinema some of the most iconic action sequences ever committed to celluloid and (IMO) five of the most consistently entertaining entries in the whole series. Even his less good films as Bond director have a lot going for them.

His action sequences for LTK have been referenced and ripped off by so many other films and yet people make out that he's a director of no consequence.

But yes I do agree that Glen did give us some iconic and often copied action sequences.

And whomever mentioned the "chase bomb" sequence in OP is right. I love that part of the movie. OP is one of my favorites.

Yup I like OP ...nope not a Glen fan. Glen got worse each film after OP and ignoring the Tarzan yell and tennis sound effects OP is his best.

Pretty sure he only made one more Bond film after OP
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Scorupco is hands down Brosnan's best Bond girl and dare I say it a far better actress than many of her predecessors. She gets a few dodgy moments, but for the most part I think she's believable, vulnerable and funny in the role.

One of my favourite Bond girls undoubtedly.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Scorupco is hands down Brosnan's best Bond girl and dare I say it a far better actress than many of her predecessors. She gets a few dodgy moments, but for the most part I think she's believable, vulnerable and funny in the role.

No argument there as far as Brosnan leading Bond Girls go. After GE came the MGM trend of hiring A list stars for those parts. Downhill from there, IMO.
    Scorupco was perfect as Natalya and I wouldn't even think of anyone else in that role.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

Sorry I had to vent.

Pretty sure he only made one more Bond film after OP

Isn't he talking about John Glen? In which case he made three more Bond films after OP.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    BAIN123 wrote: »

She's one of the underrated Bond girls. She's self-reliant, smart, principled and she influences the plot significantly. Doing things that bond can't and making an impact on the climax by outsmarting Boris. She's the one who is doing heroic, last minute things on the train where bond is the one who wants to get out of there. All in all I think she is the best Bond girl easily in Brosnan era.

Getafix, John Glen did both of Daltons films!
    OP is Rogers best Bond, but Glen did do better work with Daltons two!
    Its not saying much that Scorupco was the only decent Bond girl in the Brossa era!
    Look what came after, the anonymous Michelle Yeoh, dopey Denise Richards and the annoying Halle Berry! Not much competition!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Not only is she better than Brosnan's future Bond girls but Natalya is also better than the puppy-like Kara and the cliché-US-TV-tough-talking-gal Pam Bouvier.
    Famke Jansen was also brilliant in GoldenEye.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    One of the best casts in the series. Natalya is great. I just don't like her hairstyle /:)

Sorry I had to vent.

I know where you're coming from. 80's are my favourite decade, but his films have a cheap made-for-tv look about them.
    w2bond wrote: »
    One of the best casts in the series. Natalya is great. I just don't like her hairstyle /:)

Sorry I had to vent.

I know where you're coming from. 80's are my favourite decade, but his films have a cheap made-for-tv look about them.

The Living Daylights has some great cinematography.