David Arnold's availability was never a factor in choosing a composer for 'Skyfall'

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited January 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 677
In an interview with <a href = "" target = "_blank">Cultbox.co.uk</a>, wherein the composer primarily discusses his work on BBC's "Sherlock", David Arnold revealed that he was not made unavailable for the 23rd James Bond adventure, "<a href = "../sections/bond23/index.php">Skyfall</a>", because of prior commitments to the Olympics.

When asked if he was disappointed because of these factors the composer revealed: "My availability wasn’t an issue. [The film's director] Sam Mendes wanted to continue his working relationship with Thomas Newman."

"I would hate to be a composer foisted upon a director if the director would rather have someone else and I have been lucky that the five directors who I've worked with on the Bond movies chose to work with me."

In the same interview Arnold asserted his confidence in Newman as the man behind the sound of "Skyfall" and said that he was open and willing to return to the James Bond franchise at any point.

<a href = "http://www.cultbox.co.uk/interviews/exclusives/2777-david-arnold-a-michael-price-sherlock-interview-part-2"; target = "_blank">Read the complete interview over at cultbox.co.uk</a>

Comments

• no,no,no... no more david arNOld
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    As we already knew. Glad he's spreading the word though on what is really going on.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,441
    The Chronicles of Narnia 4 (2014) & 5 (2015) can be intresting next projects for him. In specialy Narnia 5 is mabey again directed by Michael Apted. Then for Bond 25 (2016 or 2017) he mabey can return.

If Newman is good, i like to see he doing Bond 24 too.

I believe the producers whant something dfrent for a change and for one time it be easyer to have another composer for Skyfall then for Bond 24. Bond 24 is linked to CR and QOS (possible return of Camile & Mr White) and then i expect David Arnold more.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I don't see another The Chronicles of Narnia in 2014, nothing can be done with the rights until then anyway, so 2016 at the earliest I would say and that's if anyone wants it...
    I wish David Arnold was still doing this one, he did a great job on the last few.
    Is Narnia still going to cinema?

At any rate there's no reason why Arnold shouldn't be back for the next Bond, also not too far away.
    edited January 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Kennon wrote:
    Is Narnia still going to cinema?

Another film, you mean? I would guess so but who knows. It's all up for grabs in 2014, anyone could take it.
    Kennon wrote:
    At any rate there's no reason why Arnold shouldn't be back for the next Bond, also not too far away.

Unless Mendes decides to return. He may well do, which would be nice.
    Read this before regarding Mendes and his choice for the musical score. Glad that it has been dealt with in a friendly grown up way.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Kennon wrote:

Unless Mendes decides to return. He may well do, which would be nice.

If rumours are to be believed they've asked every director back since DAD, even Forster. So they might well ask Mendes, too. Would depend on Mendes's experiences during shooting SF and if he's up for another helping of that meal. Could be he's the one wanting a bit of a break this time. But if it was fun work and he's happy with the outcome, why ever not?

Newman will be good for Skyfall and i would like to see him return for bond 24. Arnold needs a break from Bond QoS was his worst 007 score! Arnold should return for Bond 25 this will give him some time to think of new ways to rearrange the Bond music again.
    David is a classy guy. That's good to see these days
    I'd be more than happy to see DA return in the future, but right now i'm very happy that we'll hear something new and refreshing - it might even make DA up his game if/when he returns.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 192
    I must say I'm not convinced about Newman. I've listened to some of his previous works and find his usual style much too playful for Bond.
    Arnold did a great job especially on CR, where he had to find a new theme, as the signature 007 theme was to be spared until the very end. He did this just fantastically, featuring this theme in Cornell's title song as well and making it sound absolutely Bond! SF seems to go back to the roots in many respects from what you hear. So I'm hoping for a score that sounds genuinly Bond as well. With Arnold in charge I wouldn't worry 'bout that, but I'm not sure if Newman can find the right tone that makes a score sound Bond.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 3,168
    I'm not convinced either.

Newman has done a lot of soundtracks to movies which I have all watched. To be honest, I can't remember a single piece of music from these movies. That's usually not a good sign.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2012 Posts: 4,399
    Newman can pull off the dramatic... but the question mark is, can he properly score a big action set piece... we shall see - I am confident he can come up with something, he is professional after all lol.
  • Good riddance, Mr. Arnold! Some of the best Bond news I've heard in ages!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What I'm interesting in is whether or not Arnold will return for Bond 24. Is this a one time thing only, like Barry's occasional absence between '73 and '81, or has Arnold's 007 adventure hit its last note?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I very much doubt that Arnold will be back. Good riddance, I say.
    I'd like him to come back in the future.
    Not sure about Newman. Prefer Arnold.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Arnold all the way. He knows how to score a movie, and put his own modern spin on it while maintaining a lot of Barry's style. The only score I wasn't entirely happy with was DAD, which was ruined in parts by an overuse of electronics.
    .....Arnold gets on very well with BB, and is part of the Bond Makeup!! He is also involved with the Celebrations for later this year, Manly of course with the proposed Concert and Bond Night at the Royal Albert Hall!! Like it or not, He will be Back! :-B
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Arnold is just a mediocre composer... he is by-the-numbers and 'safe' to the extreme... maybe he knows the Bond sound, but he simply is a mediocre composer....

I don't understand why some people don't like Brosnan because he was a 'safe choice', while at the same time liking a safe choice composer like Arnold.......
    Arnold's earlier scores (ID4 and Godzilla) were superior but there's nothing mediocre about his Bond music, DAD aside. He's a better composer for action adventure films than the majority of composers available today.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    What I'm interesting in is whether or not Arnold will return for Bond 24. Is this a one time thing only, like Barry's occasional absence between '73 and '81, or has Arnold's 007 adventure hit its last note?

Should Mendes return, Newman will. If not and the next Bond director approves of Arnold, he'll return. He's working on the 50th anniversary and still seems to be the regular 007 composer. That's my view anyway.
    David Arnold never came close to any of the previous Bond composers... Every other composer had an identity which Arnold never had. It's all a bunch of mediocre loose ends from Arnold.
    I thought Arnold did a reasonable job overall. Particularly with the last two films. I think You Know My Name was solid and Arnold made good use of it during the film itself, which made the overall score feel more coherent. I don't mind if he makes a return in the future.
  • I've always enjoyed David Arnold's Bond scores. I remember back in 1997 when I listened to the TND soundtrack I was blown away by how it sounded compared to the dreadful score (in my opinion) of GOLDENEYE. The worst score in the history of Bond. I remember someone saying in an interview that the GOLDENEYE score sounded like someone throwing trashcans down a very long elevator shaft! I would have to agree. So I would be very happy to see Arnold return, and if Newman does a classical Bond score in the style of Barry I would be more than happy for him to return aswell. I think Bond films should have the Bond sound. Anything else for me just isn't right.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I've always enjoyed David Arnold's Bond scores. I remember back in 1997 when I listened to the TND soundtrack I was blown away by how it sounded compared to the dreadful score (in my opinion) of GOLDENEYE. The worst score in the history of Bond. I remember someone saying in an interview that the GOLDENEYE score sounded like someone throwing trashcans down a very long elevator shaft! I would have to agree. So I would be very happy to see Arnold return, and if Newman does a classical Bond score in the style of Barry I would be more than happy for him to return as well. I think Bond films should have the Bond sound. Anything else for me just isn't right.

Been saying all of this this since 1997. A Bond movie needs to sound like a Bond movie, there needs to be some sort of identifiable homage to what Barry created. At least Turner/Bono/Edge managed to get it right as far as the title tune. If Serra had incorporated it, it would have made the soundtrack a lot better and much more memorable.

Best post I've read today ^:)^ =D>

Goldeneye would be a great score for any other action adventure with a Cold War/Russian theme. But agreed, it lacks the classic conventions that will make it compete with Arnold and especially Barry. On the other hand, Arnold used too much techno in Die Another Day.