The Man With The Golden Gun-Some Thoughts

13»

Comments

• edited June 2013 Posts: 2,483
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Fleming could always come up with some interesting back stories for his villains.
    Dr No was the Eurasian son of a Chinese girl and a German missionary.

Red Grant being the product of a "quickie" between a German weight lifter and an Irish tart...

Goldfinger not actually British but a refugee from Riga and probably Jewish...

Anyone else notice how in literary Bond, the English were never the bad guys? Villains were Spanish, German, Russian, American, Blacks etc. I always found this tidbit interesting.

Fleming's villains were almost always ethnically miscegenated. Lent them a certain exoticism.

OHMSS69 wrote:
    Anyone else notice how in literary Bond, the English were never the bad guys? Villains were Spanish, German, Russian, American, Blacks etc. I always found this tidbit interesting.

Hardly a surprise really when one considers a) Bonds job is to stop people who want to destroy England and b) the inherent xenophobia and sneering superiority of the English upper classes at the time.

I think of this as a healthy survival instinct that has since atrophied.

• edited June 2013 Posts: 2,483
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Fleming could always come up with some interesting back stories for his villains.

Red Grant being the product of a "quickie" between a German weight lifter and an Irish tart...

Yes, Kingsley Amis noted this fact in his The James Bond Dossier almost fifty years ago. It goes back much further than Fleming, though. Goldfinger was British, but of Jewish descent, so therefore an immigrant foreigner.

I'm not sure Goldfinger's Jewishness was ever confirmed. Rather, Fleming leaves it as a possibility. Pretty sure he does come from Latvia, though.
  • I enjoy TMWTGG. It is a small but challenging mission, a test. Plenty of detail and sense of place and Leiter to boot. Scaramanga apparently isn't the brightest bulb in the villain department but he is plenty dangerous.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Yes, Kingsley Amis noted this fact in his The James Bond Dossier almost fifty years ago. It goes back much further than Fleming, though. Goldfinger was British, but of Jewish descent, so therefore an immigrant foreigner.

I'm not sure Goldfinger's Jewishness was ever confirmed. Rather, Fleming leaves it as a possibility. Pretty sure he does come from Latvia, though.

Yes, I think you are right, but he did have British citizenship or something if memory serves, so again not a true Britisher.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    jamez007 wrote:
    TMWTGG was a rubbish bond film

This is about the novel not the film.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Murdock wrote:
    jamez007 wrote:

Well the novel sounds good doesn't Leiter sent up Bond to kill Scaramanga?
    Murdock wrote:
    jamez007 wrote:

Well the novel sounds good doesn't Leiter sent up Bond to kill Scaramanga?

Just get it and read it and all your questions will hopefully be answered.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2013 Posts: 1,347
    45 off-topic comments removed

@TheWizardOfIce, @Dragonpol, @hullcityfan: get a private chat room somewhere :)
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,798
    45 off-topic SPAM comments removed

@TheWizardOfIce, @Dragonpol, @hullcityfan: get a private chat room somewhere :)

Sorry. I guess we just got a bit carried away there. I won't allow it to happen again.

And yes, take a photo. It lasts longer.
    Well, in the new official website of IFP (section biography of Fleming), it is written that " The Man with the Golden Gun, which was redrafted and edited by author Kingsley Amis and published posthumously in 1965".... ?
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 2,895
    Well, in the new official website of IFP (section biography of Fleming), it is written that " The Man with the Golden Gun, which was redrafted and edited by author Kingsley Amis and published posthumously in 1965".... ?

"Redrafted" is a very curious word to use, and probably an inaccurate one. Amis definitely helped edit the book, but "redrafting" implies restructuring and rewriting, and that doesn't seem to be the case. Had Amis really rewritten TMWTGG, he would have probably incorporated his idea of Scaramanga hiring Bond because of sexual attraction. And he probably wouldn't have been as harsh toward the book as he was in the Dossier and other venues.

TMWTGG stands out because it's the only Bond book that Fleming seriously considered delaying the publication of. By 1964 he had lost interest in reading or writing fiction and was determined to stop writing Bond novels. Fleming intended TMWTGG to be the finale of the series, but he confessed to editor William Plomer that he was “not yet up to correcting my stupid book” and proposed giving it “another year’s working over so that we can go out with a bang instead of a whimper.”

This plan, which Fleming favored right up to his death, was totally unprecedented. Fleming knew TMWTGG was not up to scratch and needed revisions on a scale beyond those of any other Bond novel. But the same lack of energy and elan vitale that had hampered the writing of the novel (ill health cut in half Fleming's daily writing time) bedeviled its revision. TMWTGG has an unforgettably shocking beginning and a lovely and poignant final chapter, but what's in between is the work of an author no longer able to function at full capacity.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Fleming went off the deep end when he started running out of ideas but still needed money for booze. Diamonds are Forever is still the highlight for me.
  • While the book lacks the polish and isn't as descriptive as the novels before, due to the rushed nature of it, I still like it. The plot is sound, Scaramanga is fascinating character. It is quite a short read and goes down very easily.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 2,895
    Sotheby's has just auctioned off a corrected typescript of The Man With the Golden Gun for 65,000 pounds. I hope the rich bastard who won it will donate the document to a good research library!

You can look at two sample pages here. And you damn well should, because the pages contain Fleming's own handwritten revisions to the book. We now know that Fleming added the last two lines after completing his first draft. The lines in question are: "At the same time, he knew, deep down, that love from Mary Goodnight, or from any other woman, was not enough for him. It would be like taking 'a room with a view'. For James Bond, the same view would always pall."
    They are the last lines Fleming ever wrote about James Bond. And they are clearly in Fleming's handwriting, and thus put a nail in the coffin of the idea that Kingsley Amis wrote or rewrote the book. We now have definitive proof that the Fleming had finished a complete draft and was hand-correcting it before his death.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Revelator wrote: »
    Sotheby's has just auctioned off a corrected typescript of The Man With the Golden Gun for 65,000 pounds. I hope the rich bastard who won it will donate the document to a good research library!

You can look at two sample pages here. And you damn well should, because the pages contain Fleming's own handwritten revisions to the book. We now know that Fleming added the last two lines after completing his first draft. The lines in question are: "At the same time, he knew, deep down, that love from Mary Goodnight, or from any other woman, was not enough for him. It would be like taking 'a room with a view'. For James Bond, the same view would always pall."
    They are the last lines Fleming ever wrote about James Bond. And they are clearly in Fleming's handwriting, and thus put a nail in the coffin of the idea that Kingsley Amis wrote or rewrote the book. We now have definitive proof that the Fleming had finished a complete draft and was hand-correcting it before his death.

Thankyou so much for this post .
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »

Thankyou so much for this post .

Yes, thank you very much indeed, @Revelator.