Things i would have changed in...... Thunderball

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    vzok wrote: »
    Milovy wrote: »
    There is the "3 more ticks" countdown error. I'd change that.

The bomb has a fairly obvious off switch, that Bond doesn't see.

I wouldn't say it was that obvious, plus I'd cut him some slack as Bond was rather flustered since he was seconds from being obliterated!

The Disposal member obviously knew where the switch was. It's easy if you know!

The off switch issue has always bothered me a little. What it effectively means is that Bond's contribution towards the completion of the successful mision is "turning" Pussy. After he has done that, what does he actually do re helping with the mission? Having said that, pulling a random wire from the bomb to stop it would also have seemed strange.
    patb wrote: »
    The off switch issue has always bothered me a little. What it effectively means is that Bond's contribution towards the completion of the successful mision is "turning" Pussy. After he has done that, what does he actually do re helping with the mission? Having said that, pulling a random wire from the bomb to stop it would also have seemed strange.

What does Bond do for the majority of the film,apart from sit on his arse,get 2 sisters killed etc...

Yes, fair point but it would have added to the climax IMHO if Bond had played the crucial role within the set peice rather than be a spectator.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    definitely....I mean Bond didn't know that the Delta 9 nerve gas had been switched and yet he just sits there in the lorry looking pretty much like he's not bothered,when hundreds of American troops are going to be gassed to death...
  • patb wrote: »

I'd argue that by killing Oddjob he ensures that the bomb disposal member gets to the bomb in time.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 4,602
    Surely, one of the Army guys would have just show him (Thompspon sub-machine guns)? He appears to be unarmed(apart from the hat).
    Surely, one of the Army guys would have just show him (Thompspon sub-machine guns)? He appears to be unarmed(apart from the hat).

Maybe. I'm not sure. He'd only have to protect the bomb for three more seconds.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117

Lets not forget that Bond opened the bomb casing. Even if someone takes out Oddjob from the top of the gantry while the disposal guys are running down the stairs and even if they had a key or a crowbar are they going to be able to open it up to access the switch in those few seconds remaining? Don't think so.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    definitely....I mean Bond didn't know that the Delta 9 nerve gas had been switched and yet he just sits there in the lorry looking pretty much like he's not bothered,when hundreds of American troops are going to be gassed to death...

What do you want him to do? Break down in tears?

He can't be 100% sure that the soldiers aren't dead in which case he's on his own so he has to bide his time and see how things play out. If he starts kicking off Oddjob will just kill him.
    That's what I like about GF. Although Bond is captured and seemingly powerless he still manages to foil the villains plot, albeit with help from others.

He finds out about the Fort Knox raid, he 'turns' Pussy, kills OddJob, and opens the Bomb casing. Without all this Goldfinger's plot would have succeeded.

So all this talk of Bond sitting on his harris doing nothing throughout the film is just empty criticism.

Bond makes mistakes in the film. He underestimates Golfinger's vengefulness and Jill Masterson is killed and he inadvertently causes her sister's death as well. But that's what makes it such a cool film. Bond isn't perfect but 'slays the Dragon' at the end.

The best, most influential and most iconic Bond film of the lot.

Lets not forget that Bond opened the bomb casing. Even if someone takes out Oddjob from the top of the gantry while the disposal guys are running down the stairs and even if they had a key or a crowbar are they going to be able to open it up to access the switch in those few seconds remaining? Don't think so.

What an image that evokes. Sean Connery sitting in the back of the lorry blubbing!
    I'm tempted to say all the soldiers falling over needed reshooting as its far from convincing but then they are actually acting because they are just putting it on so its actually a clue to the audience that something is amiss and not sloppy direction.

Why are you tempted then? If the falling over was 'convincing', that would in fact be bad acting. They portrayed expertly people instructed to fall over.

I'm tempted because it is done so laughably. The plain flies over and a second later everyone falls down. How is the gas diffusing down that quickly?

They are lucky the Flying Circus pilots are total bimbos (albeit ones with pilot's licences) as one look at this pantomime would tell them something is awry.

You must remember that they are supposed to be soldiers, briefed a few hours earlier to fall over when the light aircraft flyover. They're not professional actors with several days/weeks of rehearsals. Probably didn't even get a rehearsal. I think it was perfect.

• edited September 2016 Posts: 338

He's a highly trained serviceman/agent/spy, with a mission. He's not going to get all emotional mid-mission. And we don't know that Pussy didn't agree with him to tell the authorities

I wouldn't say it was that obvious, plus I'd cut him some slack as Bond was rather flustered since he was seconds from being obliterated!

Bond should be cool under pressure. Roger Moore always knew how to do it, even when dressed as a clown.

He can't be 100% sure that the soldiers aren't dead in which case he's on his own so he has to bide his time and see how things play out. If he starts kicking off Oddjob will just kill him.

@TheWizardOfIce is completely correct.

Bond should be cool under pressure. Roger Moore always knew how to do it, even when dressed as a clown.

That is a very good comparison, given that it is a very similar situation. Tips to Rog then.
  • I would change the grappling gun effect at the beginning, its pretty lame. thats about it...
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'd have to give my alternate a bit of thought but I would do something different with Goldfinger's demise.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Mmmm it seems like from Connery 's tenure this is the one everyone wants to chsnge the most hehe.
    Its still a great film, but you guys have been definitely more inspired to change this one than the previous two.

I see you guys so inspired with this one that it will stay till next week when another almost perfect come in
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Szonana wrote: »
    Mmmm it seems like from Connery 's tenure this is the one everyone wants to chsnge the most hehe.

Well we haven't got started on TB yet have we.

• Szonana wrote: »

Well we haven't got started on TB yet have we.

Or YOLT. Or even DAF.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 19,339
    DUPE

I think it's cooler if Bond doesn't know everything...

He should know the basics. On. Off.

Plus that expert was miles away with seconds to go.
  • I have things to change about TB which I will go into detail later, mainly concerning the incompetence of Largo & how I would change the plot when he gets to the Bahamas

Yeah, I don't think the scene would have had quite the same effect if Bond had got the casing open and just 'switched it off'....

In Octopussy Bond had the advantage of having a nuclear device that looked less complicated than a clock radio...
    In TB get rid of

The jetpack scene is seriously naff. And ruins a really good PTS.

Fiona Volpe driving the car really fast with Bond in it. Pointless scene.

The whole parade chase and accidental shooting of Volpe bores me to tears.

The stupid giant backpack Bond wears in the underwater battle (looks like he has a fridge/freezer on his back)

I'm sure there are more but I will have to watch the film again. It's just so bloody slow
    If we are going to get really picky, the bomb disposal guy could have just shouted "the big switch on

Yeah, I don't think the scene would have had quite the same effect if Bond had got the casing open and just 'switched it off'....

In Octopussy Bond had the advantage of having a nuclear device that looked less complicated than a clock radio...
    How about an explosion meaning the expert cant get to Bond's level. The expert has to shout instructions including removing a detotator without touching another component. Its been done since but surely an inprovement?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TB is a firm #2 film for me, so very little changes on my end. I have no problem with the jetpack and love the Mustang ride with Fiona (a classic part of that film imho).

---
    I would have advised Connery to be a little more composed when on the 'rack'

I would have got rid of the speeding up of the Disco Volante (it has dated horribly).

I would have had more of the finale on land and less in the water (just because it goes on for a while without any talking and is difficult to follow in places)
    ---

That's it really. A near perfect Bond film for me.
    In TB get rid of

The jetpack scene is seriously naff. And ruins a really good PTS.

Fiona Volpe driving the car really fast with Bond in it. Pointless scene.

I also immediately thought of the rocket-pack scene. It's far too gimmicky. HOWEVER, we'd probably lose one of the best bits of art-work if that was taken out so no.

Ditto with Volpe's driving scene and Connery's "some men don't like to be taken for a ride" line.

My change would be to have more scenes with Paula. As it is we barely know her.
    The jetpack is one of those "cart pushing the horse" Bond moments where they just decided to include the hardware and wrote the script around it. Just does not work for me.