The Next American President Thread (2016)

Comments

The wall would be a mess, there's no doubt about that. If he were actually serious about building some kind of a border barrier, he wouldn't be going on about this wall he's hoping to build, but would rather look at something like what Israel has built on their borders. As with all of Trump's plans, the wall is too simplistic, even if you subscribe to the idea that something needs to be built at the border to prevent or discourage illegal immigration.

I don't really have an opinion about what should be done at the border. I leave that to the experts. I would, however, actually like to see Congress have a substantive debate on the matter rather than doing the usual partisan nonsense that leads to absolutely no results. If they get a group of experts on the matter together and everyone comes back with a plan to build something, then so be it, but there needs to be some kind of conversation about what's going to actually happen at the border. It is, however, fairly obvious that Trump's proposal is neither cost effective nor necessary, at least in its current form.
    In all honesty @Dalton? I am prone to mental depressions. I have Borderline, Asperger too. But the day Trump wins, will be one of the worst news items in my lifetime. All the hope for a better, humane, harmonious and open society dies with the victory of Trump. That's how I sincerely feel about it. And it depresses me. It depresses me even more that I realize it could happen.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Piece in Time mag. about taking a stand. Staying silent is not acceptable.
    http://time.com/4463366/jorge-ramos-donald-trump/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Everybody's got problems, and the world's a mess; those are two absolutes that don't have a chance of going away, as they never have. We just have to face the oncoming storm and bare it the best we can, all in the knowledge that life can be a losing game more often than not, and that no victories are to be had in a world of fleeting triumphs and moral and ethical grays where rules can be bent with ease. All we can do is what we feel is right, and hope that our pursuits outweigh the actions of those we feel are in the wrong.

As the beautiful Irish would say:

"Life is sad, life is a bust, all you can do, is do what you must."
    Looks like that effort to reach out to the community may need a re-boot.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think I puked a little.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 4,622
    In all honesty @Dalton? I am prone to mental depressions. I have Borderline, Asperger too. But the day Trump wins, will be one of the worst news items in my lifetime. All the hope for a better, humane, harmonious and open society dies with the victory of Trump. That's how I sincerely feel about it. And it depresses me. It depresses me even more that I realize it could happen.
    Relax, those of us on the conservative side of the fence, survived liberal worst-case nightmare Obama for 8 years.
    I still made a living, paid my bills, and managed to waste as much time indulging my varied leisure pursuits as I did pre-Obama.
    No stress here, either Trump or Hillary is big improvement from where I sit.
    I'm more worried about the liberal we have here on Parliament Hill. His tax-grab carbon pricing scheming is scaring me .Scary to my wallet and retirement planning.

@OBrady's posting is appropos. Take a pill.

............. All we can do is what we feel is right, and hope that our pursuits outweigh the actions of those we feel are in the wrong.
    As the beautiful Irish would say:
    "Life is sad, life is a bust, all you can do, is do what you must."

We will get thru this. I'm still appreciative of Obama, just to put my opinion here on his presidency.
    We will get thru this. I'm still appreciative of Obama, just to put my opinion here on his presidency.

What I love about Obama is his tact, and his communication skills. He truly is the 'Democrat's Reagan'. And if you look at the approval ratings, Obama could become way more popular after his presidency than Bush Jr.

Good morning campers. What's better than this?

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    FLeiter wrote: »
    Good morning campers. What's better than this?

My favourite part of these videos is always the woman who consoles the crying woman.

What I love about Obama is his tact, and his communication skills. He truly is the 'Democrat's Reagan'. And if you look at the approval ratings, Obama could become way more popular after his presidency than Bush Jr.

Gert--Pres. Obama will always be more popular than Bush Lite. Dubya is so hated by his own GOP he did not attend the last 2(2012 and 2016) Presidential Conventions. He lives in an almost self-imposed exile in Dallas. A sad end.

Ann Coulter on her support of Donald Trump:
    My worship for him [Trump] is like the people of North Korea worship Dear Leader — blind loyalty. Once he gave that Mexican rapist speech, I’ll walk across glass for him. That’s basically it. Unlike the crazy Cruz supporters, I’ll criticize him, and I have, but it’s all minor stylistic stuff. We all want to shoot him at various times.

Yes, you hear it very well. This is how more 'established' conservatives think of Donald Trump. But in all honesty. Coulter's remark has nothing to do with conservatism. It's fairly obvious that she's quite the fascist when she talks about Trump.

Perhaps not the 'ordinary people' are dangerous, but these reckless fanatics who -as she says- prefers to blindly follow Trump.
    And then there's Julian Assange. Man, this guy truly is a villain. This is what he said to Fox News:
    I have some unexpected angles regarding Clinton's campaign. I think it’s significant. You know, it depends on how it catches fire in the public and in the media. I don’t want to give the game away, but it’s a variety of documents from different types of institutions that are associated with the election campaign, some quite unexpected angles, some quite interesting, some even entertaining.

As opposed to Judicial Watch, who's entirely legal in researching Clinton's emails, Assange's latest threat is nothing short of being true crime.
    That wall would take so goddamn long to build, it's amazing he is still going on about it. I'm sure that every night before he goes to bed he gets off at the thought of taking his orange arse down to the border and laying the very first brick of the structure down.

I wonder how much immigration would increase leading up to the beginning of the wall, since people intending to flee to the US would make one last mad dash for it, all at once. There'd be nothing to stop them either, and Trump and co. could never build the wall quick enough to do anything about the mass immigration happening on all points across the border. This mess would only jolt the immigration numbers sky high.

I feel like an imbecile even entertaining this cartoon notion of a wall.

Maybe Donald's Trump wall is like the Emperor's new clothes: it's invisible only to idiots, incompetents and crooks.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2016 Posts: 4,043
    What is this rubbish about Drumpf being anti establishment?

Seriously are you really buying this crap? If he gets into the White House he'll end up as being a corrupt as the worst Presidents the U.S has had, Nixon mark 2. Doesn't his business practices and lack of transparency tell us as much as we need to know?

Donald will be as manipulated by big business as the rest, the difference is he has no experience of political office and also he has no talent for diplomacy. POTUS would need thicker skin that he has, he'd just be slagging off anyone that disagrees with him, not exactly the behavoiur of a Commanding Chief. It's like watching a cowardly bully in the playground when he gets started.

Nigel Farage makes my skin crawl so it comes as no surprise he's endorsing Drumpf.
    Another person that hides behind speaking for the people when he's a racist bigot that doesn't care about the average person. Just out for himself, it's no wonder he associates himself with Trump.
    Oh yes, Nigel Farage endorsing Trump. That is plain embarrassing. Seriously, that's the best the GOP could come up with?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Oh yes, Nigel Farage endorsing Trump. That is plain embarrassing. Seriously, that's the best the GOP could come up with?

The GOP had better options, the voters just didn't go with them. The GOP voters were angry (some for legitimate reasons, some based on unjust or "misguided" reasons) and went with the guy who was speaking that anger towards the "establishment", which just happened to be 14 of the other 16 who were running against him.

Really, if any of the 14 politicians running for the GOP had gotten the nod, we'd have been better off. None of them were perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but they wouldn't have been out there doing the kind of damage that Trump is doing on a near daily basis. And, honestly, Kasich should have taken one for the team when he was offered control of both foreign and domestic policy by Trump. It would have been Trump getting the credit, but Kasich actually pulling the strings, which would have been much better for the country and possibly avoided what we all fear might be the worst case scenario under a Trump presidency.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Go go my girl! Hillary's speech is quite different from her previous ones. When Hillary's angry...she's at her best. Just have a listen:

We cannot be complacent, but I do not believe the American people will vote Trump into office.
    We cannot be complacent, but I do not believe the American people will vote Trump into office.

Still, Hillary's message above sadly is necessary. I prefer that Hillary sells her ideas and solutions. She has a couple of them that are very good.

But a speech like that above is necessary. It is important to remind people about certain ethics, morales and values. Trump doesn't talk about the success of the Olympics?! You know why, IF HE USES THOSE GREAT EXAMPLES HE IS AT THE SAME TIME KILLING OFF HIS ENTIRE CAMPAIGN! :-).

• edited August 2016 Posts: 4,622
    "IF HE USES THOSE GREAT EXAMPLES HE IS AT THE SAME TIME KILLING OFF HIS ENTIRE CAMPAIGN! ."
    I realize this isn't exactly a serious political discussion thread but still,
    what the heck might the above utterance mean :-O Actually I don't want to know. Please spare the explanation.
    But seriously, you actually sat through 33 min of Hillary drivel!!! There isn't a politician alive or dead, of any stripe, that I would listen to speech for more than 10 min and that's pushing it. Oi veh.
    That's 33 min of your life you will never get back. You could have watched a quarter of a Bond film...
    btw I'm razzing you...I am now off to your Bond top ten thread, to post my Connery-Moore heavy listings.....
    edited August 2016 Posts: 12,459
  • I don't often ask questions that I don't want to hear the answers to. I wonder what kind of mentality it takes to do that? No, don't answer... Thanks for stopping by long enough to piss on our parade, @timmer. And btw, I've listened to all sorts of political speeches, from right, left and center, in my lifetime and I don't count that as time wasted. How much time do you spend on video games? Never mind, I don't really want to know...
    And white supremists seem to love Trump no matter what. Anything he says that goes against what they want to have happen or believe in, they seem to think he is only saying those things for political reasons. They hope and believe if he is president he would follow through on laws and actions that would make them happy.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nigel, Nigel, Nigel... what are you doing? You get us excited to leave the Europrison Union, then you run off and endorse Trump.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 11,119

Nigel, Nigel, Nigel... what are you doing? You get us excited to leave the Europrison Union, then you run off and endorse Trump.

Didn't you know? How populism, bigotry, neo-fascism and ultra-nationalism are on the rise in many countries in the Northern Hemisphere?

United States of America:
    --> Donald Trump (Also Tea Party's Sarah Palin, and David Duke)

United Kingdom:
    --> Nigel Farage

The Netherlands:
    --> Geert Wilders (preceded by Pim Fortuyn †)

Belgium:
    --> Tom van Grieken (preceded by Filip DeWinter)

France:
    --> Marine Le Pen

Germany:
    --> Frauke Petry (also supported by Pegida, chaired by Lutz Bachmann)

Austria:
    --> Heinz-Christian Strache (preceded by Jörg Haider †)

Denmark:
    --> Kristian Thulesen Dahl (preceded by Pia Kjærsgaard)

Cyprus:
    --> Christos Christou

Greece:
    --> Panos Kammenos (from Independent Greeks) and also supported by Nikolaos Michaloliakos (from the ruthless, neo-fascist Golden Dawn Party)

Italy:
    --> Beppe Grillo (MoVimento 5 Stelle) and Matteo Salvini (Lega Nord). And don't forget their predecessors, the populist Berlusconi.

Poland:
    --> Michał Marusik (Congress of the New Right), Jarosław Kaczyński (PIS) and current PM Beata Szydło (female equivalent of Berlusconi, although more of a puppet of Kaczyński)

Hungary:
    --> Viktor Orbán (current PM)

Finland:
    --> Timo Soini

Slovakia:
    --> Andrej Danko, current PM Robert Fico

Australia:
    --> Pauline Hanson (from One Nation Party)

Switzerland:
    --> Albert Rösti (Swiss People's Party)

Ukraine:
    --> Oleh Tyahnybok (Svoboda)

Sweden:
    --> Jimmie Åkesson

Norway:
    --> Siv Jensen

In some countries populism is less dominant than others. But on the whole right-wing populism is firmly on the rise in most Western nations. Sometimes they are more socially accepted, like in Denmark, other times they are really fascist and racist in nature (Greece).

But regarding Nigel Farage endorsing Donald Trump? It's entirely logical. Geert Wilders already did the same. The above people on the whole support economic protectionism, ultra-nationalism. Real rascists usually vote for such people.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2016 Posts: 13,894
    I know that to some people saying i'm not a racist automatically makes me a racist, but i'm not a racist, and I voted to leave the Europrison Union. If a second referendum is held, I would do so again. For the record, I am not part of the BNP or Stormfornt or any of those groups. So no, not all of the people who voted to leave (and by extension, voted for Farage) are racists. Some might be, but you would have to confront them.

As for Trump, I don't think he is going to do half of the things he says he will. I think it's all a lot of hot air and nothing else.
    I know that to some people saying i'm not a racist automatically makes me a racist, but i'm not a racist, and I voted to leave the Europrison Union. If a second referendum is held, I would do so again. For the record, I am not part of the BNP or Stormfornt or any of those groups. So no, not all of the people who voted to leave (and by extension, voted for Farage) are racists. Some might be, but you would have to confront them.

I was talking about the current wave of right-wing populism that's having the West in a tight grip. And Nigel Farage isn't BY FAR the next David Duke.

And you are right that not all people who voted for Brexit are racists. BUT, all racists DID vote for Brexit, will vote for Trump and all other people from the list I have mentioned. It's not you who is dangerous. You are a respected forummember. But it are the uneducated bigots and racists who frighten me and to whom people like Trump make an appeal to.

I think people should realize that. Many people wave it off. Even in here. But once we start being silent about this, we do have a problem:

This discussion has been closed.