Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    The Living Daylights
    Still fantastic. Just to put me in the mood, I re-read Flemings short story! They really captured that well in the opening sequence! Brilliant Bond movie, Dalton is superb! Havent watched it for a long while! It really holds up well.

One of my most watched Bond films, @Mathis1

Will always be in my top 5.

Pure Fleming in so many scenes and Dalton just nails it beautifully.

Everything works so well. The script, music, performances and action are all top notch. When this was released it was the best Bond film since the 60's.

Probably why I was so disappointed with LTK.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    MR

Still upset they missed the opportunity for Bond to use the line "He needed some space." after killing Drax. What a shame.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    MR

Still upset they missed the opportunity for Bond to use the line "He needed some space." after killing Drax. What a shame.

I would have had him say it directly to him, as he opens the airlock.

"Some space is what you need."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Time to join the Final Frontier Mr. Drax.
    Room to breathe, to call your own.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I always prefer a silent kill by Bond. No quip.

"You won t be able to hear my jokes in space, Drax."
    Certainly TLD does slow down in the Afghanistan scenes, but what Bond movie doesn't have a slow section. I don't mind it mainly because Dalton is so compelling, and it certainly picks up pace when the battle at the airport starts! (I love the part where Bond and Kara in the plane, take off just as the other plane comes into land! Handled much better here than a similar scene in TND pre-titles! My only reservation is it should have been Koskovs death scene. He shouldn't have survived the crash, and it would have been a spectacular finish for him!)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I always prefer a silent kill by Bond. No quip.
    "You won t be able to hear my jokes in space, Drax."

Very pithy @Thunderfinger

Not even "She had her kicks" or "Positively shocking", @Birdleson?
    Seannery was a master at those
  • GBFGBF
    Certainly TLD does slow down in the Afghanistan scenes, but what Bond movie doesn't have a slow section. I don't mind it mainly because Dalton is so compelling, and it certainly picks up pace when the battle at the airport starts! (I love the part where Bond and Kara in the plane, take off just as the other plane comes into land! Handled much better here than a similar scene in TND pre-titles! My only reservation is it should have been Koskovs death scene. He shouldn't have survived the crash, and it would have been a spectacular finish for him!)

I also enjoyed the Afghanistan scenes. I think it is a kind of a tribute to Indiana Jones but I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. The scenes in the Russian military base (the prison escape) are allright and the battle later on is also great stuff, especially the figth between Necros and Bond in that cargo plane. The scene in the Mujahideen village is probably a bit unnecessary but I don't mind it so very much, even though it seems strange from todays point of view that James Bond cooparates with the Mujahideen :-)
    Something we agree on ,Birdleson. the puns were never a vital part of the Bond movie canon for me!
    The Afghan scenes are ok but the film's first half and the whole plane sequence are where its at its strongest.
    GBF wrote: »

I also enjoyed the Afghanistan scenes. I think it is a kind of a tribute to Indiana Jones but I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. The scenes in the Russian military base (the prison escape) are allright and the battle later on is also great stuff, especially the figth between Necros and Bond in that cargo plane. The scene in the Mujahideen village is probably a bit unnecessary but I don't mind it so very much, even though it seems strange from todays point of view that James Bond cooparates with the Mujahideen :-)

The only thing that has changed since then is that it is now more hidden from the public.
    I have decided to go on a mini Bondathon. I’m going to watch the fourth film of each relative actor, starting with Spectre and concluding with Thunderball. (Mainly because each of the movies are big, epic and slightly overblown.)

It feels as if I haven’t watched a Bond film in ages, but in fact, I last watched a Bond in early June. It’s all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Let me tell you a little story. When the trailer for Spectre dropped I was excited, but a little hesitant. Why? Because this line - “I’m the author of all your pain”. We didn’t know that Oberhauser was in fact Blofeld. (I thought they wouldn’t be so obvious to go that route. Or to blow their load on the Blofeld reveal. Silly me.)

Anyway, I’ve digressed. I had the sneaky suspicion that Oberhauser would be behind the death of Bond’s parents. When I saw the movie, and it turned out that Oberhauser was merely Blofeld, well, it didn’t register at first, as I was so relieved that it was not that thing that I was afraid of. (I would have walked out of the cinema if that was the case. Actually I wouldn’t as I’m a cheap b******. Almost as cheap as the script writing process for Spectre appeared to be)

Apart from the issue with Blofeld, I yet again found myself enjoying Spectre. Especially Dan’s performance, being self assured, even cocky. Before Spectre I was asking for a performance to have the Joie de vivre and the gentlemanly conduct that I thought was lacking in the Craig era thus far. And boy did he deliver. I have several issues pertaining to Spectre – calling Newman! - but Craig’s portrayal isn’t one of them. Like Sean Connery in Thunderball, I can let go most of the film’s issues, being riveted by the lead men.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    FRWL, my Bond/Fleming comfort blanket. :)
    And what a comfort blanket it is!
    Indeed. IMHO, Connery's best Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MR and DAD.

Splendid. I started with 2 hours of Sir Rog travelling 'round the world (and in outer space) to thwart the exermination of mankind while visibly enjoying himself, wise cracking a lot of jokes and seducing many women. All that with gorgeous cinematography, stunning locations and lush soundtrack from Barry. Ending with 2 hours of a badass Brosnan as his most assured, non-stop action, and a kickass soundtrack from Arnold.
  • edited August 2016 Posts: 140
    wrong thread -can't delete sorry.
  • Awwww the quips are a big part of the Bond fun factor for me. "She always did enjoy a good squeeze" is a classic.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Awwww the quips are a big part of the Bond fun factor for me. "She always did enjoy a good squeeze" is a classic.

One of my favorites.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,690
    YOLT and TND.

2 thrilling adventures where Bond most stop WW3 before it starts. YOLT is as big as they come, the soundtrack is fantastic, the sets are off the charts, the locations are gorgeous. The first hour totally flies by, so much stuff happening. The pace dies down a bit in the 2nd half, but it is always a pleasure watching Connery not giving any damns about bullsh*t happening around him. The climax is spectacular, people from both sides flying around with explosions all over the place.

As for TND, one of my favorites. Brosnan is a pure badass here, he brings a huge level of destruction everywhere he goes, while not forgetting to have fun and wise crack jokes. The soundtrack is awesome, with the Bond theme played full blast almost every 5 minutes. The pace of the film is tremendous, not more than 8 minutes of 'calm' between each action scenes. Jonathan Pryce is a joy to see, chewing the scenery and hamming it up at every chance he gets.
    edited August 2016 Posts: 15,690
    QOS and TMWTGG (in that order).

Now that awesome. 2 of my favorite outings. I am always sold on QOS from the get-go with that ballsy and intense car chase. All those chase scenes are fantastic. Killer soundtrack from Arnold, lush cinematography, gorgeous locations, a pure badass performance from Craig. This films still continues to fly by faster and faster with each viewing.

As for TMWTGG, everyone knows it's my #1 Bond and it did not disappoint tonight. Moore is a total badass here, Lee as Scaramanga is one of my favorite villains, as is Nic Nac. Love the cinematography, as @bondjames would say you can almost smell the various Asian locations. Great action scenes too - I'm not ashamed to say I love the car chase (Pepper is my favorite character in the franchise outside of Bond himself), and even the Kung Fu school fight is so weird and OTT that I can't help to get a big kick out of it. The soundtrack is also very good, considering Barry only had a few weeks to compose it.
    Since I got it on Blu-ray, I've watched it a few times! Must admit I wouldn't have been watching it much before, and i have memories of coming out of the cinema being bitterly disappointed! But you're right, there is some good stuff in there, most of all Connery!
    And I always fancied Barbara Carrera, and she's great in it!
    Bond fans that, for whatever reason, won't watch NEVER SAY NEVER AGIAN (1983) are denying themselves a fun, solid Bond film (ignore the score and Basinger).

I have a lot of love for NSNA as unofficial as it is, though I'll admit a lot is due to nostalgia. With both Bonds out that year, I became hooked on 007 and ended up seeking out the other films.
    A lot of the flaws that are found in this film can easily be applied to later entries. Lack of the opening gunbarrel, and Bond theme, over lengthy run time, limp climax, arguably TV movie production values, etc, in my opinion, should never be given a free pass in an Eon film. Yet on several occasions, Eon has deliberately made choices that produced these results. With NSNA, most of it was out of their hands.
    Considering the legal complications and production troubles that surrounded NSNA it came out far better than it should have. It is reasonably solid, and as inappropriate as Legrand's score is, it doesn't piss me off the way that Newman's copy/paste from SF score in SP did.
    Which leads to my most recent watched 007 adventure........
    SPECTRE
    I popped in the DVD yesterday after lamenting how the post Cubby films aren't quite as re-watchable. I must say, I had a blast with it this time. The first half is old school, and fun. Craig looks great IMO, far better here than in SF. I really do hope he comes back. The Smith song and the titles have grown on me since last November.
    I still feel 20 minutes should have been trimmed (cut the foster brother dialogue bit and improve the film immensely!).
    In fact, that torture sequence goes on forever as does the London scenes following. I'll take the Afghanistan section in TLD over this anyday. The overall ending is easily as disappointing as NSNA's.
    As for Waltz as Blofeld? I had been hoping, and anticipating a faithful Fleming-esque Blofeld. This is the Craig era and a reboot after all. Perfect opportunity to attempt to accurately bring Fleming's villain to the screen. What we got, was kind of like putting the slide whistle over the spiral jump. Words fail me. Oh well.
    At least the gunbarrel is back and the blood is red.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited August 2016 Posts: 7,314
    It has been five months since I last sat down to watch a Bond movie (from start to finish- not counting little snippets here and there) but my Bondathon finally resumed with You Only Live Twice. Overall, it's still a fun piece of escapism but the criticisms of it being a shallow travelogue sometimes ring true.

It struck me how uncool Connery (the king of cool) looks in this at times. Not just the Japanese disguise, but also that silly helmet he wears while flying Little Nellie and the strange, blue ninja suction cup getup. Add this to the fact that he seems disengaged at times and the whole thing comes off as a bizarre little Japanese B-movie.

Not that I'm complaining. It's just "different" than what came before. Like Peking duck, I suppose. Oh, and an obvious shout out to the excellent cinematography and score. Perhaps it's best enjoyed with a glass (or two) of champagne. After all, Osato did say that it adds a sparkle to the day.
    Regards Connery wearing the silly helmet, apparently the guy who owns and did the actual flying in 'Little Nellie', refused to fly without one!
    The last time i watched YOLT, i found it, after a brisk first half, to be a bit of a slog, until the final battle in the volcano!
    The Living Daylights
    Still fantastic. Just to put me in the mood, I re-read Flemings short story! They really captured that well in the opening sequence! Brilliant Bond movie, Dalton is superb! Havent watched it for a long while! It really holds up well.

One of my most watched Bond films, @Mathis1

Will always be in my top 5.

Pure Fleming in so many scenes and Dalton just nails it beautifully.

Everything works so well. The script, music, performances and action are all top notch. When this was released it was the best Bond film since the 60's.

I love most of it, too. Especially the Pre-Title, the scenes out of Fleming and Necros v Green 4. But am I the only one that thinks it tanks once they land in Afghanistan?

Not for me @Birdleson, I really like the Afghanistan scenes. The photography and music in these scenes are top notch.

I really enjoy the escape from the airbase and the battle around Bond stealing the Hercules.

Also in my opinion TLD has one of the best Bond climaxes. Amazing stuntwork.
    Bond fans that, for whatever reason, won't watch NEVER SAY NEVER AGIAN (1983) are denying themselves a fun, solid Bond film (ignore the score and Basinger).

Agree @Birdleson

Can never understand the derision for this film. I think it works well because it's not made by EON.

It's not a masterpiece but it's a solid Bond film with little silliness and some really great performances.

The action is down to earth with some memorable moments and the script is constantly witty.

It looks great on Bluray!
    NSNA for me ,is watchable for sure...the 'Eliminator' game that Bond plays against Largo is a brilliant scene,and Barbara Carrera steals the film for me...