Please help with Moonraker trivia

Ok so what is up with this scene from Moonraker? Jaws meets pretty St.Pauli girl and reluctantly smiles at her-she smiles back with a big set of her own braces-the rest is history-only now on a Youtube clip her braces are gone.
Sorry if this has been posted before.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Some creative editing / rendering? Surely there's nothing special to it. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    This has come up before on another thread where we all remembered Dolly as having wearing braces when we saw the film on TV and VHS in the 80s but ever since the fIlm came out on DVD all of a sudden she doesn't.

Surely we can't all be remembering wrong? I think this might warrant further investigation. I'm not suggesting it's a conspiracy on a par with Nikkigate but it certainly is extremely odd.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Anybody got their old VHS copy?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I taped MR in 1995 and remember very well the braces. And now they are gone. Maybe EON wants to Lucas this thing out by one day releasing the Braces Cut of Moonraker on DVD and BR. :-)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Can we get EON to remove the slide whistle from TMWTGG?
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't want anything retroactively changed or tampered with, unless it's straight restoration. Let history remain as is for all to see. Move forward.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I don't think that the braces were ever there to start with and I don't think that Eon would waste time and money to have them removed either. I imagine it's just another example of what they nowadays call the Mandela Effect:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/mandela-effect?utm_term=.sckNaemVL#.yn8WK79Vv

As an aside I always thought that Dolly was rather hot. :)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Strange, I did a quick google search, and found the mandela effects when I typed in "Dolly Moonraker braces".
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    royale65 wrote: »
    Strange, I did a quick google search, and found the mandela effects when I typed in "Dolly Moonraker braces".

Well there you are then. It's the primary example of this phenomenon in the film world at least. I think because Jaws has metal teeth we think Dolly should have braces to match and it does say on some online character dossiers that Dolly had braces. I need to dig out my old Moonraker VHS to fully lay this one to rest.

• edited June 2016 Posts: 1,469
    Here's to French actress Blanche Ravalec! who's now only 61 or 62 and still a real looker. From my VHS tape which I believe was made in 1996, where she meets Jaws after the cable car fight...
    IMG_4503_zpso9klxrnz.jpg
    IMG_4510_zps5ctcydzc.jpg
    And later on the space station, where it's also apparently a little cold...
    IMG_4515_zpsjaxy9f1b.jpg
    I thought Lois Chiles looked damn good in her space suit too.
    It would have been a nice touch if she had braces. It could have a cute little counterpoint to Jaws' metal teeth.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would have been cute. :)
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The kid who grins at Solange on her horse is the cutest thing ever. But in general I agree with you.
    Perhaps you could send me a list of words that don't annoy you
    @Birdleson. I'm sure sanctimonious wouldn't be there.
    Neither can I.
    We were all imagining Dolly in braces......and then we all woke up. How bizarre.
    Nothing can remove the memory of Sean in Braces in NSNA. ;) ( Bib & Braces )
    Nothing can remove the memory of Sean in Braces in NSNA. ;) ( Bib & Braces )

Let's hope they don't digitally remove those braces.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TR007 wrote: »
    It would have been a nice touch if she had braces. It could have a cute little counterpoint to Jaws' metal teeth.

Or it might paint Jaws as a pervert.
  • The Mandela Effect is interesting. It's happened to me with DAD. Back when it was first released I saw the film three times on the big screen. The first couple times I saw the film I could have sworn that Graves says to Bond "Say hello to destiny" followed by the "Say Hello to Gravity", only for it to change to "Time to face Destiny" and "Time to face gravity". For some reason I could have sworn he said "say hello" and even vaguely remember seeing it quoted somewhere also or it could just be hazy memory. But yeah there could be something to that whole Mandela Effect.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Much better than the streisand effect.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Thrasos wrote: »
    Here's to French actress Blanche Ravalec! who's now only 61 or 62 and still a real looker. From my VHS tape which I believe was made in 1996, where she meets Jaws after the cable car fight...
    IMG_4503_zpso9klxrnz.jpg
    IMG_4510_zps5ctcydzc.jpg
    And later on the space station, where it's also apparently a little cold...
    IMG_4515_zpsjaxy9f1b.jpg
    I thought Lois Chiles looked damn good in her space suit too.

1996 a bit late to convince me. I think Bracesgate, where EON digitally removed the braces (although as we are pre CGI in those days it probably means someone painted Blanche's teeth with tippex on the negative), had already happened by then.

Anyone have VHS from the early 80s when the film was on ITV on Boxing Day?

This whole thing just goes to show witness testimony in court is utterly worthless.

Oh God, it's Virginia Hey's breasts all over again ! Someone, close this thread quickly, Please ! =))
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 1
    <Deleted>
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    What I want to know is who is @MrMike ? One post, 3 visits in the first 24 hours? Then 'pooof', he's gone. And he leaves behind one of Bond World's greatest and most enduring mysteries.

I too remember the 'joke' as being Jaws smiles at Dolly, Dolly smiles at Jaws and she exposes a set of braces which immediately bonds them.

Or is it one of those moments when the joke is so obvious that no one realises that the script writer didn't see it themselves.

To me it seemed strange that when Bond parachutes to the ground in Spectre after crashing his car he turns to the man on the pavement and nonchalantly says 'Good evening' when for all the world you imagine he would say 'Buona notte'. I know in 20 years time I will have convinced myself that he did in fact say 'buona notte' and I will be digging old copies of the film out to prove my point.
    How odd this braces thing is. I taped it off ITV in 1999, have the Special Edition DVD and the Blu Ray and I've always thought she's had braces.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2016 Posts: 7,567
    And you can google it forever and a day, and find no trace of braces. I even googled trading cards from 1979. No braces.
    In fact I've got Film Review magazine from 1979 featuring Moonraker, at home. Time to dig that bad boy out.
    Those three versions are literally the only versions of Moonraker I've seen. Unfortunately I've now taped over the ITV version. so I can't revisit that one.
    This a bigger conspiracy than the moon landings and the grassy knoll!

How can it be that pretty much all of us agree on this unilaterally? Can we really all be so mistaken?

It's when some of us start dying in mysterious circumstances we really know we are on to something and have them rattled!
    I have MR taped from ITV 13th Feb 1988 (which I believe was it's 4th UK broadcast) - no braces.