Will Harry Saltzman be the forgotten man on the 50th anniversary of 007?

2»

Comments

I still think that while what Saltzman did was important, it was not actually "producing". He was adding to what already existed, rather than building something from scratch.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 2,115
    At some point, Broccoli and Saltzman alternated producing responsibility. Live and Die was Saltzman's, The Man With The Golden Gun was Broccoli's. Each film listed both men. They worked more closely together in the early films. I don't know how how you can say Saltzman wasn't an actual producer.

You're also answering a question that wasn't asked. Nobody asked if Broccoli or Saltzman did more. But Broccoli didn't "make" Dr. No on his own. But as observed elsewhere on this thread, you get kicked out of the family, you don't get Christmas cards anymore.
    I would hope that Salzman is not overlooked during the 50 anniversary. He may have been a colorful character but he did bring a lot to the early films. I agree with @shark as the films did seem more like Hollywood after 1974 (maybe this was the fact the the big studio had half the ownership of the franchise.) something was lacking and the films began to recycle earlier material.
    John Barry bemoaned how difficult it was to work with Salzman and Connery really hated him too. But then Connery was not one to sing Cubby Brocholi's praises either.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I think one should watch Battle Of Britain to understand what Harry was capable of, and what he contributed to Bond. Harry was most definately the showman. So it would hve been natural for Bond-films to lose a bit of the glamour and style which must have been Harry's speciality. More-over, I think BOB has a perfect balance between action, music and drama. A cocktail that's also well balanced in the earlier Bond-films, but later loses that balance.
    Harry Who? ;)
  • SharkShark Banned
    Virage wrote:
    Harry Who? ;)

I'm fine. Thanks for asking.