Pre-Internet/Early Internet Rumours about the James Bond Films?

2»

Comments

• RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I recall something about the next Bond film being called "Equator" and then something about "Warhead 2000". None of those happened. I believe it was around 97' or something when those rumours reached me.

I believe that was McClory trying to get a rival Bond series going again - I remember Liam Neeson being rumoured to play Bond in it.

I'm pretty sure it was intended to be a Connery vehicle again. There's a shot of Connery on location in NYC in 'The Battle for Bond', from memory it involved robotic explosive sharks that entered NYC via the sewers and iirc there was to be a shot of Bond parachuting past the Statue of Liberty.

Yes Warhead 2000 was, but I don't think that was the only attempt made to get a rival Bond, I remember Neeson being linked in the late 1990s

I don't remember that.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I recall something about the next Bond film being called "Equator" and then something about "Warhead 2000". None of those happened. I believe it was around 97' or something when those rumours reached me.

I believe that was McClory trying to get a rival Bond series going again - I remember Liam Neeson being rumoured to play Bond in it.

I'm pretty sure it was intended to be a Connery vehicle again. There's a shot of Connery on location in NYC in 'The Battle for Bond', from memory it involved robotic explosive sharks that entered NYC via the sewers and iirc there was to be a shot of Bond parachuting past the Statue of Liberty.

Yes Warhead 2000 was, but I don't think that was the only attempt made to get a rival Bond, I remember Neeson being linked in the late 1990s

I don't remember that.

I read it in an article in The Sunday Times Culture - which incidentally had The Living Daylights in it in 1962.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    There was also a rumour that all the Bond girls would have cameos in TWINE.

I remember that one. I'm amazed that they didn't pull it off.
    :))
    The idea didn't go away completely though judging by the references and homages to previous Bond films in DAD.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »

The idea didn't go away completely though judging by the references and homages to previous Bond films in DAD.

Bond accidentally takes a psychedelic drug, and has a horribly introspective nightmare where all of the previous Bond girls he dumped return to him, chasing him with knives and cleavers as he attempts to escape the equivalent of hell.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Yes, it would have fitted in better with "the all things to all fans" that was DAD.

Well if Bond was eagle eyed enough he'd be able to see Octopussy hanging out in San Francisco, or is that Andrea Anders?
  • michaelclarkemichaelclarke Onchan, Isle of Man
    Well if Bond was eagle eyed enough he'd be able to see Octopussy hanging out in San Francisco, or is that Andrea Anders?

Poor old Andrea had popped her clogs by 1985!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I believe that Hopkins was considered for the vilalin role (Harmsway/Elliot Carver?) in Tomorrow Never Dies before Jonathan Pryce eventually got that acting gig.

Hopkins was also up for Trevelyan. He is a better age for that role than Bean was.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Here's a rumor that will blow minds. It's also great comedy gold. :))
    I remember in 1993 as Bond 17 was finally on the horizon- Timothy was still negotiating, there were rumors of Mel Gibson and Eddie Murphy being considered for Bond.
    Angelina Jolie was rumoured for Vesper Lynd.

For some reason I wouldn't have minded that