Christoph Waltz as Blofeld - Hit or miss?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    But it's not silly, it's appalling IMO. Just my opinion and exactly what I'd say if we were enjoying a pint down the pub. I don't hate someone for their opinion, but I don't see the point in treading on egg shells. Apologies if it is a little blunt, picture me saying it jovially.
    Miss.

I miss him, already :D
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,437
    The best moments Of Waltz be when we don't see how he look like before there runed with new footage.

Parts i dislike the moost are stephbrother moment and Blofeld moment.
    I stil haven't like stepbrother thing, but have les of problem with it if there not connect it with Blofeld. I expext more from Denbigh.

Whyle i have problems with actualy having him in movie again. I possible think about another/better idea to bring back Blofeld. I have les problems with cats and hint next time he going to be in wheelchair. Only show those two things be enough. I stil not stop for me for see QOS elements back in future like return of Camile, Felix
    and Dominic Green
    , Bullici and connection with real story of Daniel Craig era. What i always see as Blofeld / Eliot Carver moment. The thing with needle is example of that.

As Oberhouser/Hugo Drax he was a hit.
    Waltz underplays the part, which is a good thing - the best Bond villains are often the most composed. Michael Lonsdale, Gert Fröbe, Curt Jurgens, Joseph Wiseman ... all did the same. I do find he makes too much of an effort to play it very cool from the very beginning. The gradation was better delivered in "Inglorious Bastards".

Scriptwise, I found the Waltz-character less and less intimidating as the movie progresses. The family connection for me thickens the plot too much, because it leaves me wondering: did Bond accidentally get in the way of Spectre's schemes, or did Blofeld deliberatedly involve Bond in all the previous schemes? I haven't seen Spectre that much, but that remains unclear to me.

With the family connection and the torture with which Blofeld seeks his final revenge for the wrongs done to him as a boy, the character suddenly became at bit "Cuckoo" to me, to quote Mr Blofeld himself. And therefore less threatening. We should return to villains who have some good old material motiviations (global meltdown, world power ...).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Waltz obviously is great as Blofeld.

But it was clear from the beginning that a certain amount of people wouldn't like him.

Blofeld has been missing so long it was impossible to present a version of him that would satisfy everyone.

Personally I think they found the perfect actor for Blofeld and I hope he will return for Bond 25.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,786
    The thread author seems to have forgotten the all-important "MAYBE" option! :D

For me Waltz was a HIT as Blofeld, especially when he briefly became Colonel Sun Liang-tan. ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Waltz was ok. Nothing fantastic....but that was the script rather than him.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    The thread author seems to have forgotten the all-important "MAYBE" option! :D

For me Waltz was a HIT as Blofeld, especially when he briefly became Colonel Sun Liang-tan. ;)

I agree.

Take out the torture scene and he's struggling.

I'd probably rate the Blofeld's like this:

FRWL/TB
    OHMSS
    YOLT
    SP
    DAF
    FYEO

Remove the torture scene and Charles Gray's humourous banter is enough probably not to overtake Waltz but certainly to make it a close fight.

But to echo @suavejmf there's nothing wrong with Waltz; it's the substandard script. Particularly the third act in which most of his scenes occur.
    For me the answer is simple. Did Waltz leave me wanting to see him again? No!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Christoph Waltz is a rock n roll Blofeld !

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Considering Hans Landa and what Waltz could have delivered with a decent script he was a complete let down

Also I hate the cuckoo line and his delivery and that lame ass " goodbye James Bond"

The return of Blofeld was not exploited very well at all, do I want him back again? On the strength SPECTRE I couldn't care less.

If he can return never reference the whole Oberhauser nonsense ever again, then maybe I'd welcome him back to take on Craig's Bond for 1 or 2 more times again.

Although I'm not convinced they wouldn't want exploit this relationship some more as EON clearly thought the whole brother thing was a good idea.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Considering Hans Landa and what Waltz could have delivered with a decent script he was a complete let down

Also I hate the cuckoo line and his delivery and that lame ass " goodbye James Bond"

The return of Blofeld was not exploited very well at all, do I want him back again? On the strength SPECTRE I couldn't care less.

If he can return never reference the whole Oberhauser nonsense ever again, then maybe I'd welcome him back to take on Craig's Bond for 1 or 2 more times again.

Although I'm not convinced they wouldn't want exploit this relationship some more as EON clearly thought the whole brother thing was a good idea.

I agree, although I'd expect that if EON were to bring Blofeld back against Craig's Bond, they'd probably have to keep the brother angle, as bad as it is.

Ultimately, I thought that Waltz's Blofeld was just a watered-down version of his Hans Landa character. They seemed a bit too similar for me, and given how iconic Blofeld is, I would have rather had something different than a riff on a different character.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    "Goodbye, James Bond." may be my favorite moment in the film. It's the jealous boy that's been beneath everything he's done.
    @Birdleson, isn't that a riff on the legendary "Goodbye.......Mr. BOND!" from YOLT? That's how I've always viewed it.
    People are spoiled.
    Waltz is great as Blofeld. Blofeld in Spectre is great.
    What do you people want?
    Another YOLT or DAF scenario??

Only OHMSS had a Blofeld that was as good or better.

The Rome meeting even is the best Blofeld scene ever in the franchise.
    The meteor room scene belongs to the most creepy and memorable scenes in the franchise.

Instead of being thankful to EON they got the best actor for the role, everybody is whining about it.
    But I guess doing Blofeld again was a lose-lose situation anyway for EON concerning satisfying most of the older Bond fans.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    People are spoiled.
    What do you people want?

The meteor room scene belongs to the most creepy and memorable scenes in the franchise.

Instead of being thankful to EON they got the best actor for the role, everybody is whining about it.
    But I guess doing Blofeld again was a lose-lose situation anyway for EON concerning satisfying most of the older Bond fans.

Kudos to EON for hiring the best actor for the role but it's ultimately pointless to hire A list talent in every other department if you continue to hire Z list scriptwriters.

I would've loved Waltz's Blofeld to be something but I have to agree with @Shardlake and @Dalton; he's a missed opportunity but the real problem is where do we go now as can they really just ignore the brother angle without the audience scratching their heads? More of the same seems inevitable.
    People are spoiled.
    What do you people want?

Kudos to EON for hiring the best actor for the role but it's ultimately pointless to hire A list talent in every other department if you continue to hire Z list scriptwriters.

Exactly. All the A-list talent in the world doesn't matter if the story is garbage.

It's not a case of being "spoiled" for one to not like Waltz's Blofeld. It's highly insulting to say that someone's opinion comes from a place of being "spoiled" simply because they do not agree with you. I wanted to like Spectre and the return of Blofeld. It just didn't happen.
    dalton wrote: »

Exactly. All the A-list talent in the world doesn't matter if the story is garbage.

That even more applies to Skyfall.

Waltz did a good job. If you think not, it's your prerogative. But I think the criticism against Waltz is really exaggerated.
    dalton wrote: »

That even more applies to Skyfall.

Waltz did a good job. If you think not, it's your prerogative. But I think the criticism against Waltz is really exaggerated.

It applies much more to Spectre than to Skyfall. At least SF's story can stand on its own. SP's story is extremely flimsy and needs the previous three films to prop it up to give it any amount of emotional depth, what little of that it has anyway. Neither film is perfect, but SF, at least for me, manages to rise above some of its problems whereas SP collapses under the weight of the problems that it has working against it.

Likewise, its your prerogative to like Waltz in Spectre, but it doesn't make it right to cast aspersions on those that don't agree. I'm more than happy to debate the merits or otherwise of Spectre, but that becomes difficult when those that disagree with a viewpoint are being labeled things like "spoiled" for simply disagreeing.

@dalton

I would agree on SF's story standing on its own wouldn't it be a bad rip-off from TWINE.

As for Blofeld, what exactly would you have wanted? All the Blofeld's in the past were more or less a joke (imho) or some "invisible" force, expect for OHMSS.
    What I'd would have wanted out of Blofeld in Spectre would have been, minus the obvious in wanting him not to be "related" in some way to Bond, would have been for him to have had some menace about him, first and foremost.

Waltz is a good actor, I won't deny him that, and he certainly could have been better served by the material, but at the same time, I didn't feel as though he brought as much to it as he could have. Blofeld, as portrayed by Waltz, feels a bit too quirky, lacking a certain aura of menace that the head of a major worldwide criminal organization like SPECTRE should have going for him. I get the feeling that EON hired him for his performance as Hans Landa and simply wanted some version of that put on screen to be called Blofeld, because that's about what we got. The problem there, even, is that I felt like we really only got the quirky side of Waltz's Landa performance infused into his Blofeld, but very little of the menace.

For instance, the bit with him in the SPECTRE meeting, where he and his entourage are fiddling with the microphone on the table in front of him and then whispering to the people standing on either side of him. I imagine that this is supposed to come off as intimidating, but for me it comes across as mildly amusing. I'd argue that about the only time that he really shows any menace in the entire film is when he's delivering the "It was me, James," line.
    I think he loves it so much because it was the most Brosnan entry of the Craig era and for the record @BondJasonBond006 I didn't want SPECTRE to be just like Skyfall.

Infact I wanted it to be very different, not need to rely on it or have to dig even further into Bond's past.

I want a fun entry, no more DB5, fine tie all the entries together but not in the half assed way P&W did it.

What I wanted from Blofeld was a sinister take on the character, a worthy adversary for Bond. Not some spoilt brat with daddy issues.

Blofeld apart from OHMSS and the faceless versions in FRWL & TB has been a joke but even Charles Gray's camp effort was more memorable than twice Oscar winning Waltz's efforts.

When he was cast it was pretty obvious who he'd turn out to be and that was exciting but he just did vanilla villain nothing very threatening, something right out of Pierce era.

Le Chiffre (still my favourite), Greene & Silva were so much more memorable.

I think the reason I criticise it so much is because I was a huge fan of the Craig era to this point. I thought I'd lost Bond when the Brosnan era disappointed me so much but then DC appeared and all that changed.

Then four films in they revert to PB era shenanigans and take Bond's most iconic adversary and instead of paying respect to literary creation turn him into a character that has made Bond fans (you not included) and people outside the fanbase slap their heads with disbelief.

No and I don't buy SF was a TWINE rip off. That film is one of the worst of the series with wildly jarring tone and wholly unconvincing storyline.

SF for all it's plotholes and 50th tributes, had suspense and danger, I didn't at one point fear for Bond in SP, he just looked like he'd breeze through it all.

Now this might have worked for some in Clothes Peg Bond era but we expect more from Craig Bond and it just robbed him of all that made him own his Bond as opposed to the previous Bond's greatest hits show.

No I don't like Brosnan never have never will, its no vendetta like you keep saying that it is some kind of witch hunt, some of us just didn't shoot our load when transatlantic Bond took the baton, I just didn't see Bond anymore I saw a surrogate even if you saw different.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm actually quite done with Waltz. I think he has been so iconic in his two roles with Tarantino (especially Inglorious Basterds) that he will always be Hans Landa to me, and anything less than that (in terms of menace or threat) will be a failure in my eyes. Especially since Tarantino gave him such incredible dialogue to work with, which took expectations way up.

To some extent that impacted my view of his Blofeld in SP and I recognize that. The bar was set too high.

Next time I hope they go with relative unknowns like Mikkelson, Almaric or even Bardem (who I had only seen before in his relatively 'low talk' role in No Country for Old Men). It's much easier to buy them 'in character' than a more known actor imho.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Depends. I think everyone bought Lee as Scaramanga.
    Depends. I think everyone bought Lee as Scaramanga.
    This is very true.
    Very well said, @Shardlake.
    I'm not the biggest fan of MWTGG but Lee is so iconic in that role that he elevates that film.

Waltz was nowhere that level or will be remembered that memorably.

Despite BJB006 dislike of Silva and I prefer Mads personally in Craig's era but Bardem will be the iconic villain of DC's time, it's a foregone conclusion.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Bardem will be the iconic villain of DC's time, it's a foregone conclusion.
    I think you're right. From the start upon SF's release, Bardem was seen as iconic and a return to the 'larger than life' eccentric villains of the past so associated with Bond by the casual fans.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/04/weve-been-expecting-you-the-top-41-james-bond-villains-from-worst-to-best-4972989/

Silva is No 19 right after Bambi & Thumper
    "Mommy was very bad.’ It never struck me that M might stand for Mom until Silva came along in Skyfall.
    His introduction, teasing out 007’s gay side, is fantastic, so it’s a bit of a shame that his subsequent masterplan is a rehash of the one in The World Is Not Enough and the Joker’s in The Dark Knight. And he falls for the Home Alone ending."

So much for iconic.
    Mr. White is No 14. He is iconic.
    This survey seems just slightly off to me, but what do I know.
    bondjames wrote: »
    This survey seems just slightly off to me, but what do I know.

The top 10 seems spot-on imho