Christoph Waltz as Blofeld - Hit or miss?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I can imagine that Pleasance was a relative disappointment to those who saw YOLT in the theatre in 1967 (irrespective of whether they had read the novels or not), especially after the buildup in FRWL & TB (including baritone voice) suggesting a bigger man and not a dimunitive figure.

Having said that, Pleasance is a very good actor. I really liked his Blofeld when younger but Austin P has killed his portrayal dead imho.
    Donald Pleasance did have some good lines of dialogues with Bond though. And what he lacked in stature he gained with his haunting eyes. He was the eyes of Blofeld. But yes overall disappointing.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Off topic here (my apologies) - just spotted Waltz in an advert for mobile game Clash Of Clans, which seemed a bit random.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :) yes spotted that the other night, out of the blue.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It only occurred to me tonight but Waltz's delivery of his lines, sounds like how
    Rob Brydon phrases his lines.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Off topic here (my apologies) - just spotted Waltz in an advert for mobile game Clash Of Clans, which seemed a bit random.

Yeah a bed time story with James Cordon. I saw it at tge cinema as part of the ads before Star Wars started.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,984
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'd say Christoph Waltz's performance as Blofeld matched Joseph Wiseman's performance as Dr No.

Not even close. There were a number of scenes that harkened back to Dr.No and some of Blofeld's character portrayals definitely paralleled Wiseman's DN but Wiseman did a whole more and was far more menacing with shorter screen time compared to what we got with Waltz.

It's interesting, because I just rewatched DN two days ago and my opinion has changed dramatically. I find Wiseman's villain better than Waltz' in almost every way. Waltz was good in the Spectre meeting but some of the later scenes (the torture scene and all of his scenes inside his helicopter) came off as very mediocre in comparison to Wiseman, who probably actually benefitted from having a limited amount of screen time, just because he made better use of his character's lack of exposition.

As you said, Dr No is more intimidating than Blofeld is when they're both in clear view. SP's Blofeld only came off as menacing when he was in the shadows. As soon as we had a clear view of his face, his menace factor started to plunge.

For the thread, I'll say Waltz is good, but not great. My previous comparison to Joseph Wiseman was more or less me underselling Wiseman.
  • OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    Well, it was just confirmed that Waltz would return for TWO more films if DC returns...which sort of crushes any hope of different actors playing ESB =/

I'm ok with Waltz as Blofeld, as i believe that we would see a more emotional Blofeld in next films which would be more interesting, but i hope that they flesh out other members of SPECTRE.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/christoph-waltz-return-two-more-7106240
    OmegaX wrote: »
    Well, it was just confirmed that Waltz would return for TWO more films if DC returns...which sort of crushes any hope of different actors playing ESB =/

I'm ok with Waltz as Blofeld, as i believe that we would see a more emotional Blofeld in next films which would be more interesting, but i hope that they flesh out other members of SPECTRE.

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/christoph-waltz-return-two-more-7106240

So far this is only a rumour. I'd be happy if it was true but I'd take any info from The Mirror with a handful of salt.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Blofeld was very much like Leiter before, being recast all the time. Personally, I think it is great that the Craig era is different.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Do this:

Film two movies at once, with Sam, release them a year apart. Release in 2017 and 2018.

Heck, they had enough footage from the SP shoot to cut it into two pictures, if they wanted to.
  • RC7RC7
    TripAces wrote: »
    Do this:

Film two movies at once, with Sam, release them a year apart. Release in 2017 and 2018.

Heck, they had enough footage from the SP shoot to cut it into two pictures, if they wanted to.

Doesn't work like that.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well, I'd rather that one actor play Blofeld for the entire length of his appearance in the new Canon, rather than have a different actor for each one. It's just regrettable that Blofeld's motivations seem more personal towards Bond than political like his former self, which makes him more of a petulant man-child than some criminal mastermind.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm sure Blofelds motivations started in Political matters but as Bond kept mucking up the works from CR on, It was becoming more and more personal and his hatred of Bond grew.
  • OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    @Ludovico Oh i see yea we all should take everything nowadays with a grain of salt, nothing short of "confirmed" too as the ball is in DC-s court now, my bad.

@TripAces Well that sounds like Infinity War from the Marvel MCU, which certainly makes for a shorter waiting time between the two movies, but i would prefer the two to be different movies too.

I agree @ForYourEyesOnly i would definitely prefer a more politically motivated Blofeld, which is why in my fanmade Bond 25 storyline i got Irma to overthrow Blofeld (now that would be new) and focus on more political matters before Bond defeats her at the end of 25 so Blofeld could continue in 26.

@Murdock That could be true, but it sounded like Blofeld created SPECTRE due to Bond, as he said Bond is "responsible".
    @Murdock That could be true, but it sounded like Blofeld created SPECTRE due to Bond, as he said Bond is "responsible".

Blofeld isn't exactly the sanest person around. Elektra killed her dad and mutilated her ear. Crazy does some weird things to people, make them say weird things. Heck we had a crazy user on this site pretending to be a break dancing CIA agent. :))
    Like I said in another thread, Blofeld said that Bond was "in a way" responsible for the path he took. In a way is vague, it's a weak claim, it's soft.
    I was disappointed. The movie I liked but Blofeld was kinda goofy and didn't have much menace. Le Chiffre, a simply henchman had more menace in his damaged bloody eye.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    On seeing Spectre again over the holidays, Waltz is amazing in the role, I really hope the reports in the UK press today that he has promised to sign a 2 picture deal if Dan will are true.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I was disappointed. The movie I liked but Blofeld was kinda goofy and didn't have much menace. Le Chiffre, a simply henchman had more menace in his damaged bloody eye.

You saw the way Blofeld glared at Bond at the end? There was plenty of menace in him. There's a difference between an amicable villain and a goofy villain.
    Hit, no doubt about it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Murdock wrote: »

Blofeld isn't exactly the sanest person around. Elektra killed her dad and mutilated her ear. Crazy does some weird things to people, make them say weird things. Heck we had a crazy user on this site pretending to be a break dancing CIA agent. :))

Must have been Felix Leiter.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,554
    RC7 wrote: »
    Do this:

Doesn't work like that.

Actually, it has in a few instances...

Zemeckis filmed BTTF 2 and 3 at the same time
    Tarantino did two Kill Bills at once
    Soderbergh did the same with Che
    And I believe the final two Twilight films were filmed together

I am mentioning this because I don't know if DC will last for two more, over six years.
  • RC7RC7
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Do this:

Doesn't work like that.

I am mentioning this because I don't know if DC will last for two more, over six years.

I'm aware of the concept of shooting movies back to back, what I was referring to was the notion of SP having enough content to split across two films.

Process aside, Bond films are reactionary in nature. The fact they primarily function as standalones, even SP, is of benefit to the producers. Tying yourself into a narrative is not, imo, the best idea. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a key factor in their decision not to do SP and B25 in tandem. It is set up as a film that can conclude his run, or push it further. The choice is theirs.
    Do this:

Doesn't work like that.

I'm aware of the concept of shooting movies back to back, what I was referring to was the notion of SP having enough content to split across two films.

Process aside, Bond films are reactionary in nature. The fact they primarily function as standalones, even SP, is of benefit to the producers. Tying yourself into a narrative is not, imo, the best idea. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a key factor in their decision not to do SP and B25 in tandem. It is set up as a film that can conclude his run, or push it further. The choice is theirs.

Gotcha.

I agree with everything you're saying, because we wouldn't want a single story arc spread across two films. That wouldn't be good. But I do think it is possible to film two completely different films on the same production schedule. But it also depends on the stories.

SP had a running time of 2:30. My guess is that Mendes left at least 30 minutes on the cutting room floor. Now, I am NOT suggesting SP could have been TWO FILMS. No way. Not at all. The story wasn't meant for that. I am merely suggesting that SP was almost long enough to be two films, albeit short QoS ones. Thus, I think they could indeed film two stand alone movies under one production schedule. But it would be a beast of a shoot.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Big mistake.

Agreed (although I'm still taking all this with a pinch of salt). I don't think there's the appetite out there for a Bond two parter. Their options seem clear to me. One more film with Craig, announced as his swan song, or a clean break launching a new actor in 2018/19.

They've been making that rumor since when? I take it with a shovel of salt.
    It would certainly make my day if it were true. :D
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    -Le Chiffre was just perfect
    -Green was ok but a boring pussy of a character.
    -Silva was too over the top for a movie like Skyfall and Bardem's acting was a tad camp and pantomime.
    -Oberhauser is overated. Telly was far superior as Blofeld and much more Flemingesque.

Craig is a brilliant Bond and I love his films. But with the exception of Mad's. The villains are a weak point of his tenure for me.