Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 3,333
    It's an interesting debate, but in all seriousness I doubt Dalton would've done the same BO numbers Stateside as Brosnan, not even close. Though Dalton was popular with UK audiences at the time, the same really couldn't be said of the US. Maybe the Canadians liked him as much as the Brits? I honestly couldn't tell you. Would GE have been a better Bond movie with Dalton is an entirely different question, and one that can only be answered from an individual fondnes for either actor. Some of you were clearly too young to remember what it was like being a Bond fan and waiting to hear and see news of Brosnan's new take on 007. I can tell you that there was a certain electricity in the air and hunger to find out whether he was good or bad, despite the press at the time printing story after story about whether Bond was relevant today and was there still the same appetite for his movies anymore. Strangely the very same questions and topics that Mendes likes to pepper his Bond plots with today. One thing I do remember is the huge marketing blitz for GE - it was everwhere. In fact, I think GE's marketing might have been the most dense and widespread campaign I've ever seen for a Bond film since the early days of Roger Moore.

It's strange when I think back to that early press screening of GE and can recall being a bit undecided, possibly even underwhelmed, on whether I thought it good or bad and how the critics would react to this new Bond. Despite my own reservations, the UK critics loved it and lavished praise on it. One critic, Geoff Brown of The Times even said '...Bond gets to work in his tailored clothing, you feel Schwarzenegger and Stallone shrivelling...He is undoubtedly the best Bond since Sean Connery". Yep, those best since Connery qoutes DID exist about Brosnan back then. One hugely influential and respected critic by the name of Alexander Walker even went so far as to claim Brosnan had ripped the lid off Bond's coffin and revived its corpse!

I also agree with @Getafix on GE being chock-full of British TV talent, just as much as LTK is with American TV talent. Despite what some people say here, it was just as notable for UK audiences that the pool of acting talent came from TVland as maybe it was for the Americans previously. The argument can't be used against LTK and not GE without, in all honesty, sounding either disingenuous or uninformed.
    @bondsum.

Good post @bondsum. I suppose Im just so used to seeing the likes of Judi Dench, Robbie Coltrane and Sean Bean in major films. The cast of GE obviously made the transition from small screen to big screen much more successfully than that of LTK. Other than obviously Benico Del Toro I haven't seen the rest of the cast in that many films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    "Whoever she was I must have scared the living daylights out of her".

That's a great moment from Dalton.

Still don't like "better make that two" or some of the Q and MP stuff though.

When I saw TLD on the big screen back in july, the "Salt corrosion" line got the biggest laugh. "The better make that two" got a few laughs. None of them fell flat.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    As I recall TLD got more laughs in American cinema even more than SP. SP scored chuckles but everyone on screen mumbled too much ...not as easy to understand what was said.

GE got laughs too though. Anyway I maybe wrong.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,243
    If anyone honestly looks more like they should be in a drama on television it's Dalton.

I'm not saying Dalts is a bad film actor but you line him up alongside Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Craig and even Lazenby he has the look of a serous tv actor rather than a big screen actor.

I'm not saying Brosnan was always the most convincing actor, but I genuinely believe he has more of a screen presence than Dalton.

I'd also say Laz has more screen presence than Dalton.

Dalton is an actor. There is no such thing as film actor, tv actor or theatre actor. An actor gets work where they can. British actors are a different breed to American movie stars.

Have you seen Dalton in Jane Eyre or Framed? He has incredible presence. Most famous actors agree that he is a fine actor.

True some actors are more famous than others. But popularity does not equal quality. Vin DIesel anyone.

Dalton is a niche actor. He does not bend over for a mainstream audience. Dalton is more like Rules restaurant in London than Mc Donalds, which the latter must be better as it is so much more popular wink wink

Dalton is a theater actor and a respectable one but he was too stiff and theatrical in his Bond.

Someone once said and I think it was Connery that said you can't act Bond, you have to be Bond.

I don't the TV history is the thing. Dalton's style didn't appeal to many audiences. I really do appreciate and enjoy Dalton despite being in my opinion the least successful Bond to date.

Lazenby just tried his best to be Connery not so much Bond. But he still wasn't stiff.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Dalton is a theater actor and a respectable one but he was too stiff and theatrical in his Bond.

Someone once said and I think it was Connery that said you can't act Bond, you have to be Bond.

I don't the TV history is the thing. Dalton's style didn't appeal to many audiences. I really do appreciate and enjoy Dalton despite being in my opinion the least successful Bond to date.

Lazenby just tried his best to be Connery not so much Bond. But he still wasn't stiff.

Dalton was playing the Bond of the novels. He is in the books the more acid variety as opposed to be sugary.

Dalton is an actor which requires an audience to look beneath the surface. Some can do that and get it. I give him credit for bringing something new and fresh to the role, knowing that it was going to receive criticism. That takes cajones!

The Bond franchise needs to take risks to remain relevant. The cliches are exactly what will put the nails in the coffin eventually. Nothing is worse than copying the past or what came before. Dalton created a question mark and arguably is the most controversial actor. Ironically, he has created a sub-genre of the character and he is more appreciated now than almost thirty years ago.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    acoppola wrote: »
    If anyone honestly looks more like they should be in a drama on television it's Dalton.

I'm not saying Dalts is a bad film actor but you line him up alongside Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Craig and even Lazenby he has the look of a serous tv actor rather than a big screen actor.

I'm not saying Brosnan was always the most convincing actor, but I genuinely believe he has more of a screen presence than Dalton.

Dalton is an actor. There is no such thing as film actor, tv actor or theatre actor. An actor gets work where they can. British actors are a different breed to American movie stars.

Have you seen Dalton in Jane Eyre or Framed? He has incredible presence. Most famous actors agree that he is a fine actor.

True some actors are more famous than others. But popularity does not equal quality. Vin DIesel anyone.

Dalton is a niche actor. He does not bend over for a mainstream audience. Dalton is more like Rules restaurant in London than Mc Donalds, which the latter must be better as it is so much more popular wink wink

Well said.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Well said.

Thank you sir. Those who denigrate Dalton for being too serious, praise Craig for similar qualities. Craig is a mixture of Connery and Dalton.

Exactly and the 'reason' he is so good in the role. I love DC, but it makes me laugh when people say he invented a harder edged yet 'touchable' Bond. That's what Dalton did.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Exactly and the 'reason' he is so good in the role. I love DC, but it makes me laugh when people say he invented a harder edged yet 'touchable' Bond. That's what Dalton did.

Dalton did gritty first and was ahead of his time. He played Bond as an acting role at a time when audiences wanted the Moore/Brosnan variety. The eighties was a decade not yet ready for a harsher reality 007. Dalton was seen as crazy for not playing the easy going playboy of the decade of excess!

After 9/11 and the popularity of the Bourne films, the cultural climate changed to accept Craig's brutal interpretation. Craig too would have been hated had he took over from Roger Moore in 1987!

edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Dalton's goal was a literary interpretation of Bond which he probably achieved. In my opinion though his execution of that interpretation fell flat.

Had that interpretation worked we may have grasped a grittier Bond. In fact the rest of our heroes were so no I think we would or could have been ready given the right execution and charisma.

Craig on the other hand is also a more serious Bond but beyond CR I'm not sure how much of Fleming's Bond is on actually on screen.

Dalton's goal was a literary interpretation of Bond which he probably achieved. In my opinion though his execution of that interpretation fell flat.

Had that interpretation worked we may have grasped a grittier Bond. In fact the rest of our heroes were so no I think we would or could have been ready given the right execution and charisma.

Craig on the other hand is also a more serious Bond but beyond CR I'm not sure how much of Fleming's Bond is on actually on screen.

Dalton played Bond very close to the Fleming incarnation. Dalton gave a splendid execution of the character. There are experts who agree on that. Even GQ Magazine gives Dalton the credit for totally changing the perception of Bond.

You cannot tell me the audience who lapped up the Brosnan era were looking for serious/realistic Bond. Up until the Bourne films, the general public wanted.a surface level Bond who was a more comedic character.

Read the Fleming novels and then tell me where Dalton fell flat. Raymond Benson the Bond novelist said Dalton was closest tio Fleming.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think we saw Fleming s Bond on the screen in DN, FRWL and OHMSS. And to a lesser extent in GF. That s it, really.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    That is a very fair statement and I concur. If Connery said that, he is right.

I've always believed that one has to inhabit the Bond persona on film. That is unique to each actor and it must be an extension of the actor's personality in my view. You can't really act it, unless you are exceptional, or some (like myself) will pick up on it.

I commend Dalton for bringing his unique interpretation to the role that was an extension of himself. It's when he tried to go outside that and more towards the formulaic 'Bond film persona' that I didn't feel all that comfortable with his portrayal.

I feel the same was about Craig and what he tried to do in SP to a degree. He is acting formula Bond and it fell relatively flat to me in places (although still good enough). Same for Brosnan for the most part.

Strangely, I never felt that way about Lazenby, which surprises me because he had no real acting training. Connery/Moore were just an extension of themselves and it was very natural on screen.

Dalton was playing the Bond of the novels. He is in the books the more acid variety as opposed to be sugary.

Dalton is an actor which requires an audience to look beneath the surface. Some can do that and get it. I give him credit for bringing something new and fresh to the role, knowing that it was going to receive criticism. That takes cajones!

The Bond franchise needs to take risks to remain relevant. The cliches are exactly what will put the nails in the coffin eventually. Nothing is worse than copying the past or what came before. Dalton created a question mark and arguably is the most controversial actor. Ironically, he has created a sub-genre of the character and he is more appreciated now than almost thirty years ago.

There is definitely growing appreciation for Dalton as Bond now.

But people actually exaggerate his lack of popularity in the 80s. If you read the reviews from the time they were actually really quite positive. TLD was very well received by critics, and LTK got some excellent reviews, even in the US. Even if reviewers weren't keen on the films, they were often very positive about Dalton's performance.

The Dalton films were also fairly decent commercial performers. EON and the studio made good money on both of them and LTK did decent BO outside of the U.S.

I think the fact that LTK was a much grittier and darker Bond movie and that it ended up being Dalton's last has just overshadowed his legacy. It was a 15 in the UK, which means there was a whole group of kids who never got to see it in the cinema. EON knew that was a mistake. Dalton, who had virtually no creative control whatsoever, made it clear that he wanted his third film to be a lot more lifhthearted.

Had Dalton done even one more Bond film, that was more in line with TLD or just a bit lighter, then I think his immediate legacy would have been very different.

I also think there is an extent to which people conflate the darkness of LTK, the poor BO in the US and the six year delay, and sort of think this was all due to Dalton. The fact is that apart (perhaps) from the U.S. box office, none of this had anything to with Dalton and was just bad timing.
    Getafix wrote: »

But people actually exaggerate his lack of popularity in the 80s. If you read the reviews from the time they were actually really quite positive. TLD was very well received by critics, and LTK got some excellent reviews, even in the US. Even if reviewers weren't keen on the films, they were often very positive about Dalton's performance.

The Dalton films were also fairly decent commercial performers. EON and the studio made good money on both of them and LTK did decent BO outside of the U.S.

I think the fact that LTK was a much grittier and darker Bond movie and that it ended up being Dalton's last has just overshadowed his legacy. It was a 15 in the UK, which means there was a whole group of kids who never got to see it in the cinema. EON knew that was a mistake. Dalton, who had virtually no creative control whatsoever, made it clear that he wanted his third film to be a lot more lifhthearted.

Had Dalton done even one more Bond film, that was more in line with TLD or just a bit lighter, then I think his immediate legacy would have been very different.

I also think there is an extent to which people conflate the darkness of LTK, the poor BO in the US and the six year delay, and sort of think this was all due to Dalton. The fact is that apart (perhaps) from the U.S. box office, none of this had anything to with Dalton and was just bad timing.

I agree with you 100% Dalton got blamed by the general media for the six year gap. You @getafix know your history well. Craig was panned for QOS and then the studio bankrupcy cancelled his third film temporarily. An almost parallel situation. Luckily for Craig the production of his third film was ignited again.

My point is that had Craig finished with QOS, a film that has been unfairly maligned, he would be in the same position as Dalton.

For the record, I believe QOS was his best film. It was a great story and has none of the tick boxing elements that his two subsequent films have.

The minute I saw Craig adjusting his cufflinks in the pts of SF, I knew we were in trouble. QOS was a take no prisoners performance by him, which I put way above SF and SP.

I thought that in QOS, he was in his own universe, without that distracting Aston DB5 to remind people it still is a Bond film. SF to me was another reboot, to apologise for QOS which was a mistake. They had the perfect tone for Craig in QOS. No looking back, but, moving forward.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425

I agree with you 100% Dalton got blamed by the general media for the six year gap. You @getafix know your history well. Craig was panned for QOS and then the studio bankrupcy cancelled his third film temporarily. An almost parallel situation. Luckily for Craig the production of his third film was ignited again.

My point is that had Craig finished with QOS, a film that has been unfairly maligned, he would be in the same position as Dalton.

For the record, I believe QOS was hist best film. It was a great story and has none of the tick boxing elements that his two subsequent films have.

Very good point. Yes, Craig could easily have fallen into a similar trap, especially if he'd been a few years older when he was originally cast. By SF EON and the studio might have been looking at a recast.

I am also a big fan of QOS and really enjoyed the lack of box ticking. Makes for a very fresh feeling Bond movie.

I did enjoy SP a lot though, even though it does rely on a lot of rather lazy cliches and is almost completely backward looking.

Going back to your original point though, it is also interesting to think what Moore's reputation would have been if he'd only done LALD and GG. Not great I suspect. It's amazing what Laz gave us with one film and Dalton with two - they both deserve a lot of respect and appreciation for what they did.

The only actors whose reputations might have benefitted from doing fewer films are actually Connery and Brosnan. I personally quite like Connery's performance in DAF but would have loved a proper Lazenby revenge follow up to OHMSS.

And you probably know my views on Brosnan - less would definitely have been more in his case. The fewer Brosnan Bond movies the better as far as I'm concerned. Had he only done GE his reputation might be quite high, although I could never understand the love that dreary little film gets.
    Dalton was stiff and misdirected and saddled with subpar films.

But that's my opinion. True the Brosnan films were popular but that's because he was at least entertaining to watch and besides Bond hadn't pushed his limits yet until CR.

I appreciate fans of Dalton. I do like him. I do wish he had had better to work with and oddly enough he might have done well in GE.

Audiences though would have stayed away in droves.

For the record, I believe QOS was hist best film. It was a great story and has none of the tick boxing elements that his two subsequent films have.

Very good point. Yes, Craig could easily have fallen into a similar trap, especially if he'd been a few years older when he was originally cast. By SF EON and the studio might have been looking at a recast.

I am also a big fan of QOS and really enjoyed the lack of box ticking. Makes for a very fresh feeling Bond movie.

I did enjoy SP a lot though, even though it does rely on a lot of rather lazy cliches and is almost completely backward looking.

Going back to your original point though, it is also interesting to think what Moore's reputation would have been if he'd only done LALD and GG. Not great I suspect. It's amazing what Laz gave us with one film and Dalton with two - they both deserve a lot of respect and appreciation for what they did.

The only actors whose reputations might have benefitted from doing fewer films are actually Connery and Brosnan. I personally quite like Connery's performance in DAF but would have loved a proper Lazenby revenge follow up to OHMSS.

And you probably know my views on Brosnan - less would definitely have been more in his case. The fewer Brosnan Bond movies the better as far as I'm concerned. Had he only done GE his reputation might be quite high, although I could never understand the love that dreary little film gets.

Agreed sir! With Bond sometimes less is Moore. But, apparently some fans judge on quantity of films done than actual quality. Sir Christopher Lee said you cannot dismiss an actor's contribution ; just because they did one or two films. He was referring that both Lazenby and Dalton contributed to the series. Being Ian Fleming's cousin, I think he was in a position to comment. Sir Christopher Lee is that all too rare face of intelligence and objectivity.

I tried to enjoy SF after my initial enthusiasm died a death. But, it is a less satisfying experience than QOS. Craig was in his element and a shame that critics like Mark Kermode of the BBC by misunderstanding QOS, changed EON's direction once again. Marc Forster deserves an apology!

edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Craig was panned for QOS and then the studio bankrupcy cancelled his third film temporarily. An almost parallel situation. Luckily for Craig the production of his third film was ignited again.

For the record, I believe QOS was his best film. It was a great story and has none of the tick boxing elements that his two subsequent films have.
    I don't recall Craig being panned for QoS. I think most reviews said he was the only thing really holding it together. There may have been some benefit of the doubt on account of CR's brilliance. I personally also feel that QoS was his last incredible performance as James Bond. I found his work in SF to be average with flashes of brilliance. The jury is still out for me on SP.

Regarding Dalton, I am not old enough to recall the reviews for LTK at the time of its release, but I don't think he set the world on fire with TLD to begin with. It was seen as serviceable from what I've read after the fact, and perhaps on par with SP in the way it was being looked at. Namely, decent, somewhat formulaic, but not earth shaking. Craig did have the benefit of CR to ride him through.

I think it is Dalton's first outing that should have been stronger commercially. It was one of the weaker showings stateside anyway for a Bond actor's first film. There are many reasons for that, including a changing film landscape in the US, but still, EON didn't catch the wave properly with TLD which had one eye on the past......that is not Dalton's fault. They did a far better job with CR and Craig benefited from that, and I believe that helped him to ride out QoS, while Dalton was not forgiven so easily for LTK. Keep in mind, I personally think both are excellent work.....I'm referring to mass appeal.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Regarding Dalton, I am not old enough to recall the reviews for LTK at the time of its release, but I don't think he set the world on fire with TLD to begin with.

I think other than the famous "juries still out" from Barry Norman I recall Dalton being warmly received for TLD and a sigh of relief from some fans that we didn't get more of the same in Brosnan.

The audience and anticipation for LTK seemed to evaporate though. There were too many other big franchise films out to devote any column space to Bond. As Dalton himself said LTK was a leap in a different direction. A great film but too much too soon for the audience.
    Cowley wrote: »
    As Dalton himself said LTK was a leap in a different direction. A great film but too much too soon for the audience.
    Yes, I recall seeing a video of the American premiere posted here somewhere and EON was actually marketing it as a different direction even then. I do remember that year being so saturated with massive blockbusters that were far more anticipated than Bond (Indy 3, Bat etc. etc.)
    IMO it wouldn't have been.
    I think we saw Fleming s Bond on the screen in DN, FRWL and OHMSS. And to a lesser extent in GF. That s it, really.

TB, LTK, TLD, and CR (minus the blonde hair) too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig was panned for QOS and then the studio bankrupcy cancelled his third film temporarily. An almost parallel situation. Luckily for Craig the production of his third film was ignited again.

I don't recall Craig being panned for QoS. I think most reviews said he was the only thing really holding it together. There may have been some benefit of the doubt on account of CR's brilliance. I personally also feel that QoS was his last incredible performance as James Bond. I found his work in SF to be average with flashes of brilliance. The jury is still out for me on SP.

Regarding Dalton, I am not old enough to recall the reviews for LTK at the time of its release, but I don't think he set the world on fire with TLD to begin with. It was seen as serviceable from what I've read after the fact, and perhaps on par with SP in the way it was being looked at. Namely, decent, somewhat formulaic, but not earth shaking. Craig did have the benefit of CR to ride him through.

I think it is Dalton's first outing that should have been stronger commercially. It was one of the weaker showings stateside anyway for a Bond actor's first film. There are many reasons for that, including a changing film landscape in the US, but still, EON didn't catch the wave properly with TLD which had one eye on the past......that is not Dalton's fault. They did a far better job with CR and Craig benefited from that, and I believe that helped him to ride out QoS, while Dalton was not forgiven so easily for LTK. Keep in mind, I personally think both are excellent work.....I'm referring to mass appeal.

There was a general consensus that Craig was too serious. One reviewer equalled his performance in QOS "as miserable as Dalton".

Our most famous BBC critic Mark Kermode thought it was a Jason Statham film and had no plot.

It is no secret that the Dalton era was badly marketed. Bond had been going for twenty five years and had been taken for granted. The decline had slowly begun in the 1980's before Dalton took over. The American media wanted Brosnan and that informed the public of their attitude to Dalton. In the 80's the American media were far more influential than today. People believed what they were told just like "The weapons of mass destruction" that Iraq had.

But TLD in the UK and Europe did very well. Dalton was hailed as the new Connery in some circles.
    And to take over after 12 years of the Moore era was a tough petition for a new Bond embarking on a completely different and uncharted style.

The big gaps work better in introducing a new Bond. Brosnan 6 years after Dalton and Craig 4 years after Brosnan.

The irony of the Bond franchise is that the closer you are to the creation of Fleming's books, the more you are hated. Eventually the steam will run out as you can only use a cliche so much.

Case in point, some scenes in SP could easily have had Brosnan in the part. What was the point in rebooting to come back to what we have already had before? Now Bond stopped bleeding after a severe beating on the train. A big misstep after the excellent stairwell fight in CR. Shame really, because the Quantum story arc was excellent as an idea, which disappeared in SF.

As Mark Gatiss put it, Dalton is the connoisseurs Bond. You have to know the roots of the character to fully appreciate his work. But we are less well read as a society. There are many ways to playing Bond, yet we are still straight-jacketed to the formula of old and that has finite sustainability in a fast changing culture of now.

edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    No you dont. Dalton tried but too stiff.

You can be a student of Fleming and not like Dalton.

Way too simplistic view of the American audience.
    I think Brits know more about 'our' character than Americans though. No offence, but Dalton has a very 'brit' style unlike say the successful (but not great) mid Atlantic style Brosnan.....that many Americans loved.
    [qu
    No you dont. Dalton tried but too stiff.

You can be a student of Fleming and not like Dalton.

Way too simplistic view of the American audience.

No you don't what? Your answer is no answer. Too stiff? What does that mean???

My view of America I admit is not the highest. I won't even comment on their foreign policy or this continuing idea that American box office is more important than the rest of the world.

You are from Texas? I am sure the Mexicans would love that back!

edited November 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Dalton was intense' not stiff. Anyway....Bond is 'a stiff ass brit' as one American said in GE....so he played it well either way! The American box office doesn't equate to quality.....Jurassic World and Avatar were both average....yet they are smashes!!!! Laughable.