How seriously should we take Bond?

I ask the question because Spectre seems to have divided opinion. Some wishing that it had stayed closer to the darker, gritty seriousness of DC's previous films, and others praising it for going back to the Bond template including the more lighter touch - possibly straying on the Roger Moore-esque.

So, how serious or humourous do we want Bond films to be. Personally I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this. I love the serious gritty Bond. My favourite Bond films are FRWL, OHMSS, FYEO, LTK, TLD, CR and SP. But I also love Bond films that have the more fantastical elements to them - GF, TB, Spectre, TSWLM etc.

Whilst I probably edge to the darker Bond - I like the way CR dealt in some degree with Bond and the affect on him of the type of job he does, his relationship with Vesper etc. But I think I've really enjoyed Spectre just because it is offering up a bit of variety.

What do people think?

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    We all take Bond seriously here :)

What you want to know is if we like our Bond serious or humorous. I personally like a balance of both. A reasonably serious movie with a side of humorous.

Regardless of my personal thoughts on Spectre, I thought that balance was done quite well. Some people don't like TLD because of the OTT elements, I like it more because of them
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Agreed. The Brosnan era has the right balance. Laughs and suspension, this is how we like Bond.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Agreed. The Brosnan era has the right balance. Laughs and suspension, this is how we like Bond.

Fixed. ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Agreed. SPECTRE has the right balance. Laughs and suspension, this is how we like Bond.

Fixed. ;)

How dare you? See above for the correct quote.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well obviously I take it very seriously but real life is important too. There's a balance to be had. ;)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    We shouldn't take it seriously, that's the idea, I go to see a new Bond or watch an old one on TV to escape for a few precious hours with family & friends to forget what a sh*tty world we live in.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,090
    humorous. Tomorrow Never Dies has the perfect tone for Bond. Arnold's score is also bombastic and playful.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,691
    FRWL is about as stripped down in terms of OTT-ness as it gets, and whilst I consider it a masterpiece, I *generally* like a balance a bit more in my Bonds, hence the reason TLD, LTK, TND, SP & DN are my current top 5...
  • As long as a given Bond film has a genuine Bond "feel" (and much of that is achieved through aesthetics), I really don't have a strong preference one way or the other. But, of course, Bond films can veer too far in either direction. Hence, I don't want to feel vague depression after watching a Bond film--QOS, I'm looking at you!--but neither do I want to feel like I'm watching a comedy aimed at 12-year-old boys (MR flirted with this on occasion).
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Everyone likes something different. The great thing about this series is that it appeals to different classes, ages, tones, etc. If you didn't like the latest entry, maybe the next one will be closer to your cup of tea. Or not. In that case there's 7 Roger Moore films to choose from. I prefer serious Bond, but it's all escapism. TSWLM is #3 for me.
  • Everyone likes something different. The great thing about this series is that it appeals to different classes, ages, tones, etc. If you didn't like the latest entry, maybe the next one will be closer to your cup of tea. Or not. In that case there's 7 Roger Moore films to choose from. I prefer serious Bond, but it's all escapism. TSWLM is #3 for me.

Perfectly put, I prefer the more lightearted Bond myself, but the right way to do it is to find the proper balance, of course the series keeps changing constantly and going back and forth as well, which works out nicely for everyone, if it's too serious for you currently then just wait 2 or 3 more movies and we are back to more "comedic" tones. The series would be a LOT different if every movie was like FRWLM or CR or MR, I think that's why I can endlessly rewatch these movies and go through bondathon after bonathon, the switching back and forth between "serious" and "silly" keeps things fresh. I can have my serious Bond when Im in the mood for it and my comedic one when I'm in the mood for that. There's something for every kind of a mood I might be in, if they ALL had exactly the same tone, the series probably wouldn't appeal to me as much.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Everyone likes something different. The great thing about this series is that it appeals to different classes, ages, tones, etc. If you didn't like the latest entry, maybe the next one will be closer to your cup of tea. Or not. In that case there's 7 Roger Moore films to choose from. I prefer serious Bond, but it's all escapism. TSWLM is #3 for me.

Perfectly put, I prefer the more lightearted Bond myself, but the right way to do it is to find the proper balance, of course the series keeps changing constantly and going back and forth as well, which works out nicely for everyone, if it's too serious for you currently then just wait 2 or 3 more movies and we are back to more "comedic" tones. The series would be a LOT different if every movie was like FRWLM or CR or MR, I think that's why I can endlessly rewatch these movies and go through bondathon after bonathon, the switching back and forth between "serious" and "silly" keeps things fresh. I can have my serious Bond when Im in the mood for it and my comedic one when I'm in the mood for that. There's something for every kind of a mood I might be in, if they ALL had exactly the same tone, the series probably wouldn't appeal to me as much.

Yep. Being a Bond fan, one has to grow accustomed to change and learn to endure plot holes and shifts in tone. Otherwise, find another series. For there is truly no other series like James Bond.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I've had Bond all my life. Raised on Bond. Named after Connery (so glad Lazenby not cast yet at the time. ...blah blah of the jungle. :( ...)

Last movie I saw in the cinema with my Dad was QS.

Yes it's just a series but still important.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I don't mind OTT, and I don't mind stripped down serious. As with most things in life, I focus on the execution. If it's executed well, I don't care what tone it has. Just make sure it's consistent, all fits together holistically and is balanced.

My top 5 Bond list has a bit of all, because I think these films are beautifully balanced even if some are a little more jokey and some are a little more dark/serious. Execution...although I probably lean more to the serious side.

1. FRWL
    2. TB
    3. CR
    4. TSWLM
    5. DN
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't mind OTT, and I don't mind stripped down serious. As with most things in life, I focus on the execution. If it's executed well, I don't care what tone it has. Just make sure it's consistent, all fits together holistically and is balanced.

My top 5 Bond list has a bit of all, because I think these films are beautifully balanced even if some are a little more jokey and some are a little more dark/serious. Execution...although I probably lean more to the serious side.

1. FRWL
    2. TB
    3. CR
    4. TSWLM
    5. DN

We share a number one.

(yes, Blofeld reference there too)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    tigers99 wrote:
    I ask the question because Spectre seems to have divided opinion. Some wishing that it had stayed closer to the darker, gritty seriousness of DC's previous films, and others praising it for going back to the Bond template including the more lighter touch - possibly straying on the Roger Moore-esque.

So, how serious or humourous do we want Bond films to be. Personally I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this. I love the serious gritty Bond. My favourite Bond films are FRWL, OHMSS, FYEO, LTK, TLD, CR and SP. But I also love Bond films that have the more fantastical elements to them - GF, TB, Spectre, TSWLM etc.

Whilst I probably edge to the darker Bond - I like the way CR dealt in some degree with Bond and the affect on him of the type of job he does, his relationship with Vesper etc. But I think I've really enjoyed Spectre just because it is offering up a bit of variety.

What do people think?

I agree with everything you have said here, you have taste. I dislike really over the top elements of some of the films though...e.g. Dolly and Jaws in MR.
    For me nothing sums up the RM series like the PTS in FYEO. With so many unforgivable moments during RM's tenure, this one is the most egregious. Having watched the film again recently, I continue to be appalled by the attempt to link that outrageously ill-conceived, preposterously inept sequence not fit for a Pink Panther film to OHMSS.

For anyone thinking the new Bond films are a bit too dark and lacking humor,
    revisit the films in which Bond has become a caricature of Bond and no gag or line is too cheesy. When the goal is to become funnier, this is what happens.

Bond humor works best when delivered with a sense of irony, or as comic relief in response to a sustained sequence of intensity. Too often Bond humor has reflected an adolescent sensibility rather than an adult sensibility informed by wit and intellect.

Humor poorly written or used in the wrong place can derail the tension of a scene.
    Without that tension, Bond cracks wise, he is not threatened, he really isn't in danger, and we don't believe for one minute anything going on is serious.

• RC7RC7
    CrabKey wrote: »
    For me nothing sums up the RM series like the PTS in FYEO. With so many unforgivable moments during RM's tenure, this one is the most egregious. Having watched the film again recently, I continue to be appalled by the attempt to link that outrageously ill-conceived, preposterously inept sequence not fit for a Pink Panther film to OHMSS.

For anyone thinking the new Bond films are a bit too dark and lacking humor,
    revisit the films in which Bond has become a caricature of Bond and no gag or line is too cheesy. When the goal is to become funnier, this is what happens.

Bond humor works best when delivered with a sense of irony, or as comic relief in response to a sustained sequence of intensity. Too often Bond humor has reflected an adolescent sensibility rather than an adult sensibility informed by wit and intellect.

Humor poorly written or used in the wrong place can derail the tension of a scene.
    Without that tension, Bond cracks wise, he is not threatened, he really isn't in danger, and we don't believe for one minute anything going on is serious.

Where you see an attempt at comedy I see entertainment. Variety is the spice of life. Give me OHMSS back to back with MR and I'll have a riot with both.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm very pleased how things progressed over the 53 years.

Movies like DAF, MR, LTK and DAD or SF were absolutely necessary for the evolution of Bond.

SP is the best example for this. The Craig era needed an OTT fun Bond movie, otherwise this era would have been viewed upon as missing something. EON knew that, Mendes too.
    Now all 5 actors had their "special" movie.
    Connery DAF
    Moore MR
    Dalton LTK
    Brosnan DAD
    Craig SP
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    LTK????
    To take the early Bonds (after FRWL) would not be "playing the game." From GF thru DAD (the exception being OHMSS of course) the movies are not to be taken seriously. Especially MR, TSWLM, and OP.
    Craig changed all of that with films. Yes, I take all of his seriously indeed.
  • I'm very pleased how things progressed over the 53 years.

Movies like DAF, MR, LTK and DAD or SF were absolutely necessary for the evolution of Bond.

SP is the best example for this. The Craig era needed an OTT fun Bond movie, otherwise this era would have been viewed upon as missing something. EON knew that, Mendes too.
    Connery DAF
    Moore MR
    Dalton LTK
    Brosnan DAD
    Craig SP

Connery DAF
    Moore MR
    Dalton LTK
    Brosnan DAD
    Craig SP

This is an excellent point. It's part of the overall evolution.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260
    tigers99 wrote:

About as seriously as one should take ANY action/thriller....which is to say not at all. Whether dark or humorous, its all just fiction.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 582
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote:

About as seriously as one should take ANY action/thriller....which is to say not at all. Whether dark or humorous, its all just fiction.

Yes it is fiction, but drama can be serious, humourous or mix between. For instance Shakespeare wrote tragedies which are supposed to be taken seriously, they aren't on the whole played for laughs, so the acting for instance is all quite straight. Whereas the comedies are played for laughs.

So, Sicario is a thriller that has recently been released in cinemas. Overall it is not a comedy. It has a tense, thrilling narrative.

Austin Powers is a comedy and is played for laughs.

When I say take them seriously I don't mean treat them as if they are the most important thing in the world, not that kind of taking it serious. But to what degree we like to have the action/drama played straight or played for comedic/fantastical effect. It's a question of genre at the end of the day. The Bond books and to a greater degree the films have tended to swing the pendulum back and forth on this account. For example Moonraker is very light - eg. the scene with Jaws and Dolly with the Romeo and Juliet music in the background isn't the serious drama that we see between Bond and Vesper as they sit in the shower and she feels that she has blood on her hands - that scene is played very seriously - i.e. you are not meant to laugh at it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    tigers99 wrote: »
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    So, Sicario is a thriller that has recently been released in cinemas. Overall it is not a comedy. It has a tense, thrilling narrative.
    Sicario is brilliant. I'd love a Bond film with that tone....it won't do anything for the box office but it would be amazing to see nonetheless.
    I like the fun Bonds as much as the dour ones - OP and QOS are both in my top five for instance - and only ever wish for either style of film to be done credibly.
    It's pure escapism full stop!
    tigers99 wrote:

What do people think?

I disagree that films like OHMSS and SP are not fantastical. The great thing about Fleming's books and many of the best films is the way they mix realism with the fantastical. Infact there's not necessarily a contradiction. Fantastical can be done deadly realisitcally. Or it can be done in a completely OTT or humorous way.

Personally I prefer it when Bondia played reasons ku straight and then all the craziness happens around or to him. Connery was great at this, particularly in the early films.
  • TigerTanakaTigerTanaka Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond

Connery DAF
    Moore MR
    Dalton LTK
    Brosnan DAD
    Craig SP

Interesting list. For me, Connery's would be YOLT.

Yes, YOLT is the obvious contender for Connery. Not sure Dalton ever got his OTT movie.