Fixing Die Another Day (with Brosnan still as Bond) - comment on how you'd fix certain bond films

The idea of Bond being betrayed and then imprisoned and tortured is really compelling. During the torture have it so he gains the cheek scar and hand scars he has in the books. Keep it surrounding North Korea and all the cast and characters who appear in that pre-title sequence (don't alter the pre-title sequence). Keep the Kleinman title sequence (minus madonna) and all the following scenes leading up to Bond doing that heart-beat trick (have him escape differently).Keep him disheveled and brooding for longer. Then just have the film follow a rouge Bond trying to find out who betrayed him and is in cahoots with Colonel Moon, and also trying to capture zao who he was traded for. Keep the ice and fire motifs. Find some way to re-incorporate a fencing fight at Blades. Have Toby Stephen's Gustav Graves be a seperate villainous side character not Moon. Keep Halle Berry and Rosamund Pike, but change the personalities and dialogues of their characters slightly. Efface any far fetched Sci-Fi elements (invisible car, virtual reality, electric suit, genetic stuff etc.). Keep all of the amazing David Arnold score. Feature Cuba (where Bond finds Zao), Iceland (Grave's hotel) and Hong Kong (Mi6 detainment facility) still as countries Bond visits alongside others mentioned. Have Bond be haunted by memories of Trevelyan, Paris and Elektra during torture. Expand on Miranda Frost relationship, have her be Bond's former recruit who is sent by M to bring 007 back in, still have the twist of her being the betrayer though. She's disillusioned with the west and wants to help Moon (who she dated at Uni) in his war against the south. Still have General Moon be anti- South war and thus be murdered by his son in a coup during the film's final act. Graves is just assisting Moon for profit, his assistance is paying for the missiles Moon is going to bomb the south with. Jinx will only feature during the Cuba part as she is on a mission to get Zao too. Only difference in pre-title sequence is that Moon once going off the cliff survives but opts to fake out that he's died, hoping it will prompt his father to become violently anti-west and anti-South Korea. Give Samantha Bond's Moneypenny some proper stuff to do, and don't degrade her character like the film does. Could write more but post would be too long. What do you guys think, what would you change in this film or another Bond film to salvage it.

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Don't take this personal, your initial idea is great, but this site really has enough Brosnan threads, furthermore it will be turned into yet another Brosnan bashing thread in no time with the usual suspects.
  • I didn't want it just to be a Brosnan thread just wanted people to comment on how they'd salvage some of the more flawed movies in the series. Was gonna do Quantum but thourght I'd use DAD to get it started. Fairly new to the site, why does evryone hate Bros so much. Cheers for the headsup btw!
    No problem. DAD actually is a fine example for a movie that would need fixing.
    If not so much as most here would want to make us believe.

The first hour is more or less bloody perfect.
    The problems start as soon as they go to Iceland.
    Some stuff seems in retrospect just too much Sci-fi and OTT.
    Omit the vanishing car, the iceberg crashing and water surfing and some dialogue of Jinx and you pretty much have a quite decent Bond movie.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Some people hate Brosnan because they think it's fashionable

Omit the vanishing car, the iceberg crashing and water surfing and some dialogue of Jinx and you pretty much have a quite decent Bond movie.

I agree.........whatever your opinion of Brosnan is, i always felt it was a shame for him, that there was a decent script written for his latter Bond films.

When watching DAD, on first viewing i thought like mostly everyone else, that the tone of the film was a bit more serious........ie the torture stuff, and the fencing fight was great fun too................but then, as others have pointed out, we went into Alice in Wonderland mode, for the second half of the film.............ice palace indeed ( i believe that was Babs's idea). To be honest, the second half was enjoyable in a silly way........though i would have taken away, that invisible feature of the Aston............i would of done away with the Robocop suit that Graves wore as well................but mostly i would of removed the Bond surfing on a lolly stick sequence (god that was awful).
    I can't believe the writers, couldn't of thought up a better second half to the film.....i mean they had 3 years to do so!

mepal1 wrote: »

I agree.........whatever your opinion of Brosnan is, i always felt it was a shame for him, that there was a decent script written for his latter Bond films.

When watching DAD, on first viewing i thought like mostly everyone else, that the tone of the film was a bit more serious........ie the torture stuff, and the fencing fight was great fun too................but then, as others have pointed out, we went into Alice in Wonderland mode, for the second half of the film.............ice palace indeed ( i believe that was Babs's idea). To be honest, the second half was enjoyable in a silly way........though i would have taken away, that invisible feature of the Aston............i would of done away with the Robocop suit that Graves wore as well................but mostly i would of removed the Bond surfing on a lolly stick sequence (god that was awful).
    I can't believe the writers, couldn't of thought up a better second half to the film.....i mean they had 3 years to do so!

Those exact same writers even had 4 years after QOS and provided us with the worst script to a Bond movie ever.

• -Do not turn Moon into Gustav Graves. Have Moon survive at the beginning, but instead he's just the guy who finances Graves and makes him the public face of Icarus. Only on the plane at the end do we find Moon is still alive.

-Drop Jinx entirely. Bad, cheesy character. Have Miranda Frost as the main Bond girl, and Bond only finds out she's a traitor on the plane at the end. Introduce a new secondary Bond girl, played by (Cuban) Eva Mendes. She would be the daughter of the original sleeper agent who had died long ago and she's taken over his interests. She can be Bond's ally at the clinic and he sleeps with her and then moves on.

-Needless to say, lose the ice-surfing sequence. Just have Bond escape in his car and go straight to the car chase/battle. No invisibility feature, just have Bond win through superior driving - Zao skids off into an ice lake or whatever.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    -Do not turn Moon into Gustav Graves. Have Moon survive at the beginning, but instead he's just the guy who finances Graves and makes him the public face of Icarus. Only on the plane at the end do we find Moon is still alive.

-Drop Jinx entirely. Bad, cheesy character. Have Miranda Frost as the main Bond girl, and Bond only finds out she's a traitor on the plane at the end. Introduce a new secondary Bond girl, played by (Cuban) Eva Mendes. She would be the daughter of the original sleeper agent who had died long ago and she's taken over his interests. She can be Bond's ally at the clinic and he sleeps with her and then moves on.

-Needless to say, lose the ice-surfing sequence. Just have Bond escape in his car and go straight to the car chase/battle. No invisibility feature, just have Bond win through superior driving - Zao skids off into an ice lake or whatever.

=D>

and again

=D>

you should have replaced P+W for Heaven's sake :))

bloody great ideas!
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Sometimes I wonder why Eon doesn't hire some of the members here as ghost writers to polish up the weaker aspects of their scripts. dinovelvet's suggestions are pretty much spot on. Also cut out the worst puns (which would be gone since Jinx is) and getting rid of the stupid invisible car. It serves no god damn purpose and is just stupid.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Don't hire Joel Schumacher to ghost direct this movie
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Just axe the wind surfing scene and please replace Halle Berry.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    and again

=D>

you should have replaced P+W for Heaven's sake :))

bloody great ideas!

i would actually love to read P&W's original script for DAD - before Tamahori and his wife got their claws into it chopped it apart with an axe.... because according to the scribes themselves, a lot of what was in the final version of the film - was not what they wrote.... i am intrigued to know just how much was different.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    firstly.. i would not have Colonel Moon magically transform himself into a white British guy.. i would've kept him alive (and since the movie was so into paying homage to the past).. i would've had Gustav Graves as a fictional front - someone who is believed to be a real person, but someone that has never been seen publicly - kind of a play on the Willard Whyte thing from DAF.. that way when Bond goes to confront him, a scarred and deformed looking Moon is revealed as the real mastermind..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    HASEROT wrote: »
    firstly.. i would not have Colonel Moon magically transform himself into a white British guy.. i would've kept him alive (and since the movie was so into paying homage to the past).. i would've had Gustav Graves as a fictional front - someone who is believed to be a real person, but someone that has never been seen publicly - kind of a play on the Willard Whyte thing from DAF.. that way when Bond goes to confront him, a scarred and deformed looking Moon is revealed as the real mastermind..
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    First and foremost, replace the title sequence, Madonna, and have Bond escape the North Korean prison, with the title sequence itself showing a very dark and sadistic side of Bond as he slaughters the North Korean prison guards with a knife as he stealthily moves.

I would change and add stealth elements in the Ice Palace sequence, tone down the car chase, jettison the abnormally beating techno sounds from the soundtrack, hire someone competent and dedicated in the editing department and the visual effects.

And, of course, drop the mechasuit that Gustav Graves puts in use at the climactic finale of the film.

Also, give Bond a Catwoman-like (Michelle Pfeiffer style) Bond girl played by either Kelly Brook or Elizabeth Hurley (heck, has anyone seen The World of 007 documentary about GoldenEye?).
  • I would take this out of the series the way doctors would severe a limb with gangrene!!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,399
    First and foremost, replace the title sequence, Madonna, and have Bond escape the North Korean prison

it's funny how easily he escapes MI6 custody, yet he can't escape from a North Korean prison in the year and a half he was held captive...

"Well... Bond got away really fast didn't he?"
    "It is what he's trained to do."

what a load of bulls***
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The easiest film to fix and make it into a great Bond would be Octopussy. It's nearly there but just take out some of the sillier moments, snake charmer Bond theme, tennis double-taking crowd, Tarzan yell, sit!, gorilla costume and quick change. I'd keep the clown outfit (even though I HATE clowns) as it is a good disguise to use in a circus (hate them too!).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @DennisThatcher

Please search through the existing threads before you open another one!
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/9992/fixing-die-another-day
This discussion has been closed.