Problem with Dave Bautista (Mr. Hinx) in SPECTRE **minor spoiler**

mrchopsticks3mrchopsticks3 California
in SPECTRE Posts: 4
I loved SPECTRE and thought Dave Bautista was perfect as the killer henchman, I just wish that they had given him some sort of gimmick, like Jaws with the metal teeth or Oddjob throwing his hat. Just making him a big, evil henchman that doesn't talk seemed a bit lazy to me. Give him a metal spike for a finger or metal plate in his head or something original. His character could have been so much more, but yet it seemed they kind of dropped the ball with him.

**minor spoiler below**

I also hope he didn't die when he got pulled out of the train. Maybe they can give him some gimmick based on whatever injured he might have sustained, like a robotic eye or a cyborg arm or something. I'd like to see that character make a comeback, like Jaws in both movies he was in.

Anybody agree? Any ideas on how they could have spiced up Mr. Hinx?

Comments

• JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I thought he was pretty much spot on as a henchman. A henchman in the classic mould.

Also -
    Did you see the thumbnails?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Hinx had metal finger nails.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2015 Posts: 11,139
    I loved SPECTRE and thought Dave Bautista was perfect as the killer henchman, I just wish that they had given him some sort of gimmick, like Jaws with the metal teeth or Oddjob throwing his hat. Just making him a big, evil henchman that doesn't talk seemed a bit lazy to me. Give him a metal spike for a finger or metal plate in his head or something original. His character could have been so much more, but yet it seemed they kind of dropped the ball with him.

**minor spoiler below**

I also hope he didn't die when he got pulled out of the train. Maybe they can give him some gimmick based on whatever injured he might have sustained, like a robotic eye or a cyborg arm or something. I'd like to see that character make a comeback, like Jaws in both movies he was in.

Anybody agree? Any ideas on how they could have spiced up Mr. Hinx?

Uh are you for real? Did you not see the piercing metal thumbnails he had?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,151
    I thought Hinx had metal caps over his thumbs, you can see them in the film, when he gouges out that fella's eyes in the Spectre boardroom.

I did think it was wrong to make Hinx a virtual mute in the film, and why didnt anyone at Spectre acknowledge him. Strange.........it could of been so much more interesting if Hinx had been given some dialogue.
    I have a question did he say oh shit or oh shoot cause I swear I heard shoot
  • Merde.
  • mrchopsticks3mrchopsticks3 California
    OK, metal thumbnails? Come on, what kind of a gimmick is that?

Umm.....good point, but i think he says shit, it just sounds like he said it as 'sheet'.

• One of the big disappointments for the film for me was Baustista. Not due to his performance; he's great as the hulking henchman (and arguably looks better than Craig in a suit). It's just I wished there was more for him to do!!!

I also wish they spent more time building up his 'gimmick', it's literally seen in one shot of the film, and that's it! I would have loved to have seen him return for the third act (in true Bond henchman style!). Bond should have seen him just before MI6 blew up and he is chasing after Madeline for one final fight. Hinx could have been killed off in the collapsing MI6 HQ.

On another note, the train fight is fantastic as it's not only brutal but also a little cartoony. It reminded a lot of the sequences that Spielberg would create for the Indiana Jones films where the hero is clearly overpowered whilst fighting a huge brute. It's very entertaining and also bat-shit crazy.
    I thought he was decent. I wanted him to come back at the end though. No Henchman ever dies from falling off a train...
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

They are a total nonevent in the film. I doubt even 1% of the general public were aware he had them, much like Stromberg's webbed fingers. Why bother giving a character a thing if they aren't going to make anything out of it or even make it obvious?
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

They are a total nonevent in the film. I doubt even 1% of the general public were aware he had them, much like Stromberg's webbed fingers. Why bother giving a character a thing if they aren't going to make anything out of it or even make it obvious?

Weren't they a bit girly? I think Hinx would just crack skulls.
    I had no problem with Hinx. I thought he was scary and imposing and that train fight was great. Hated to see him go. I liked him.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    I had no problem with Hinx. I thought he was scary and imposing and that train fight was great. Hated to see him go. I liked him.

He will be back in Bond 25, with ESB?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    mepal1 wrote: »
    He will be back in Bond 25, with ESB?
    I think both have to come back. Hinx can't die from falling out of a train (what an anticlimax), and Blofeld's look to Bond/Swann at the end suggests he will be back.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would have given him a bit more dialog to show than he's more than a well dressed brute.
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    mepal1 wrote: »

Umm.....good point, but i think he says shit, it just sounds like he said it as 'sheet'.

I thought he said "shoot". Well, maybe that's why in Polish cinemas they translated it into f-word.

I heard "shoot"
    I legit didn't notice his thumbnails...this is the first time I hear about them..

btw he said "shit"

dragonsky wrote: »
    I legit didn't notice his thumbnails...this is the first time I hear about them..

btw he said "shit"
    How can we trust you powers of observation if you didn't even notice the thumbnails! ;)

I'd be happy for Hinx to return. He had presence and a bit of menace. And the train fight was good. Awful name though!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'd be happy for Hinx to return. He had presence and a bit of menace. And the train fight was good. Awful name though!

At least it wasn't said on film. Gives them a chance to change it. :P
    He was short changed time wise in the movie and I honestly though he was going to show up again toward the end. Monica also was short changed in the same way.
This discussion has been closed.