References to other Bond films in SPECTRE? (Possible Spoilers)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sam Mendes honoured John Glen by doing Glen's signature in Spectre:

Birds flying out of a room in Mr. White's house startling James Bond.

Glen did this in his Bond movies as his signature.

Good catch. If Craig had acted more startled, I would have picked up on this right away. He was a little cool......Dalton did animal startled best imho.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,312
    The physics behind Mr. Hinx' terminal ejection from the train resembles the way Xenia Onatopp was lifted off Bond's chest and also the way Dalton-Bond escapes the falling Land Rover in the TLD pre-titles sequence. I would say Bond has that trick pretty much internalized. Do they teach that at Spy school?
  • This might be a bit of a stretch but:

Blofeld crawling out of the destroyed helicopter exactly the same way as Dalton crawling out the destroyed gasoline truck.

I thot it was Franz (!) Sanchez who crawled.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The physics behind Mr. Hinx' terminal ejection from the train resembles the way Xenia Onatopp was lifted off Bond's chest and also the way Dalton-Bond escapes the falling Land Rover in the TLD pre-titles sequence. I would say Bond has that trick pretty much internalized. Do they teach that at Spy school?
    I was also reminded of the fight between John McClane and Karl in Die Hard.
    From an article in the Guardian:

“Isthmus City” is the name of the fictional metropolis in Timothy Dalton’s second and final outing as 007 – and El Presidente, the hotel in which Bond exercises his licence alongside Carey Lowell’s Pam Bouvier, is the splendid, Tiffany-ceilinged, art nouveau Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de Mexico. It was built in 1899, just off the Zócalo, as a shopping mall – one of the few beautiful historic buildings to have started life as retail instead of ending up that way. You can still see the CM (Centro Mercantil) lettering on the ceiling, and ride the same elevator 007 does. In a clever wink, the Gran Hotel also pops up in Spectre – apparently the only time a building has appeared in two different Bond movies.
    TSWLM - Bond & Madeline make love for the first time right after defeating a henchman on a train. Similar to Bond & Anya.

QOS- Bond destroys an Aston Martin in a car chase in Italy.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    The entire scene with Bond and Mr. White is reminiscent to Octopussy when she gives Bond some exposition on how Bond confronted her father Major Dexter Smythe which ended with him killing himself.

This brings up the point, that if the Moore Era, the Craig Era and Fleming's Bond all existed in the same universe, Octopussy's father actually murdered Blofeld's father. If you're up on your Fleming that will all fit together nicely for you.
    This would also make Dexter Smythe and Blofeld the same person as they both murderedHannes

Bond firing at Blofeld behind glass near end of SP either intentionally or coincidentally homages classic scene in Man From Uncle pilot episode in which villains shoot at Solo only to discover he is behind glass.

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    @haserot, DMC and CB? Sorry if my nerdiness is at a low this morning, but what does that stand for?
    Devil May Care by Faulks and Carte Blanche by Deaver.
    In spectre a few things I noticed in terms of Fleming and post Fleming nods.

1. Blofeld has a very Similar Back story to Le Gerant in Never Dream of Dying both were related to a father figure in bond's life (Draco or Hannes Oberhauser) and Both involve bond falling in love with a crime bosses daughter.

2. Mr. White and Madeline Swann are Essentially an updated Draco and Tracy Bond

3. the meeting in Rome is similar to the meeting described in The Fact of Death from the organization in that book (name escapes me)

4. the use of terrorist attacks to propel some geopolitical change is ALSO in that book and in Doubleshot.

that is about it
    Q mentioning all that was left of DB5 from SF was not much more than a steering wheel, is I think a reference to raging fan web discussions over SF DB5 steering wheel being on wrong side.
    Zillions of pages on this forum alone.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I think there are a few subtle references to other Bond films but I think most of the ones posted here are just some similarities. Most of the references were the locations and then the obvious one with Bloefeld's scar in YOLT.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Bond landing on the couch is right.out of YOLT
    Mendes loves to homage LALD. He does it very smoothly, unlike say Fields covered in oil.
    Most of Mendes references are for hardcore fans, who can readily recall all scenes from all films.
    There are quite a few of these scenes in SP, most of which, if not all have been spotted by now and listed, and there is also the very obvious Uncle reference, and the Avengers nod at the end with Bond and Swann driving off.
    You can practically hear the Avengers theme-music kicking in.
    YOLT does seem to have been singled out for special attention in SP, but that's not surprising as it's also the film in the original continuity, where Bond is first introduced to Blofeld.
    I do like this tendency of Mendes. He seems to enjoy it.

• cwl007cwl007 England
    The first shirtless shot of Daniel in the title sequence is very, very similar to the early posters of Lazenby when his face was in darkness and he was surrounded by girls.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Now that you mention it, yes indeed.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    People seem to have already caught up on the obvious, so here are some of the less obvious ones.

The three minutes timer thing is a reference to GoldenEye's three-minute timer in the PTS, no? Also, the lift in the PTS is the exact same as the one in Licence to Kill.
  • RC7RC7
    Forgive me if this has already been posted, but did anyone else notice a potential tip of the hat in the despatching of Hinx? Given he is potentially the 'Jaws' of the Craig era, I find it interesting that he is taken out by a bunch of roped up barrels, similar to the finale of... Yes, Jaws.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1
    I am a huge fan of 007 clothing that's why I absolutely loved the references Daniel Craig's Bond given to his predecessors. Timothy Dalton is one of my best Bond actor, in Spectre has been given a tribute by Daniel Craig through wearing a similar looking brown outfit 007 carried when he visited last time in Morocco/Tangier. But being a huge fan of Sean Connery I really loved seeing [url="http://www.jbsuits.com/products/Sean-Connery-Goldfinger-White-Tuxedo.html
    "]James Bond white tux jacket[/url] again after more than thirty years of absence.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Indiana Jones also wore one of those.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond shooting at Blofeld behind the glass reminded me of when Bond was shooting at Renard behind glass. Even had a Bullet Hole as a visual significance.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 157
    The car chase in Rome, aside its similarities with The Living Daylights, is also an homage to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, don't you think?
    Skyfall was supposed to have an Indiana Jones homage too...
    Spectre Explained on my Vodcast.
    If you need help understanding it all or need to explain to a friend
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817
    References for each film (maybe help out guys):

DN: Telling Blofeld people like him are in asylums. Bond and Madeleine's capture and treatment.
    FRWL: Chessboard. Train fight.
    GF: Ejector seat. Rolls-Royce.
    TB: SPECTRE meeting. SPECTRE Octopus ring.
    YOLT: Crater base. Blofeld's scar.
    OHMSS: Mountain clinic.
    DAF: Talking to a mouse.
    LALD: PTS Mask. Wingless plane.
    TMWTGG: Vehicular barrel roll through the air. (MI6 Building shtick being a reference to the funhouse is contentious).
    TSWLM: Apart from the train fight, I can't think of any...
    MR: Cable-car. Computer room.
    FYEO: Helicopter in the PTS.
    OP: STAY, but I can't find anything else, is that it?.
    AVTAK: Only one: Main villain watches to see a building explode from above in an aircraft. But it does seem like a reference to me. But maybe someone has a better one.
    TLD: Same outfit in same location (Tangiers) But that's it?
    LTK: The exact same elevator.
    GE: Timer set to three minutes.
    TND: I can't think of one...
    TWINE: Boat chase down the Thames. Shooting at a villain who taunts Bond whilst blocked by bulletproof glass.
    DAD: Jaguar chasing an Aston Martin.
    CR: 'I know where you keep your gun'.
    QOS: Main villain's base explodes in the desert.
    SF: The painting.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    GE
    Tank chase
    SP
    Plane chase
    Practically the whole sequence, so many similarities
  • GE
    Tank chase
    SP
    Plane chase
    Practically the whole sequence, so many similarities

Mmmm if you'd explain that? I really don't see it. The tank didn't break apart at the end or anything...
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm at work but I will explain later.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Madeline lowering the blinds in her office is an obvious refrence to
    Stromberg raising his paintings in TSWLM. :D
  • Madeline lowering the blinds in her office is an obvious refrence to
    Stromberg raising his paintings in TSWLM. :D

And now that I think of it, it also echoes 'close shutters' from YOLT.