References to other Bond films in SPECTRE? (Possible Spoilers)

First, I apologize if there is another topic similar to this already. I searched and couldn't find one.

My question to fellow Bond fanatics is this: do you think there is a reference to every other Bond film, either directly or in spirit, in Spectre? I think we could probably find a reference to everything up through TSWLM, maybe MR and FYEO, but what about beyond? Anyone want to see what we can come up with?

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    Sure, why not. Obviously we don't need to discuss CR, QOS, and SF since they're directly referenced.

Spectre meeting = Thunderball
    Alps clinic = OHMSS
    Train fight = FRWL
    Blofeld's appearance = YOLT
    Helicopter PTS = FYEO
    Gadget car/ejector seat = GF
    Skeleton costume/day of the dead motif = LALD
    PTS when Bond says Bottoms up - TMWTGG
    Morocco lair - Dr No
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    TWINE - pretitles scene was reportedly the best action sequence there too
    DAD - nothing, thankfully
    CR - revealing train conversation with girl worth leaving the service for
    QoS - exploding lair (with one gunshot this time rather than a Range Rover)
    SF - villain's parental/surrogate parent issues causing long term grudge against MI6 member (...cough)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    bondjames wrote: »
    TWINE - pretitles scene was reportedly the best action sequence there too
    DAD - nothing, thankfully

The fact that there are references to past Bond movies is itself a reference to DAD :)

Also, OHMSS - shots of past Bond movies and characters during the opening credits

YOLT - Bond falls/slides, and lands on a conveniently positioned couch!
    The train fight and ensuing scene could also be echoing the one in TSWLM!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Grab overhead support and kick opponent with both feet was pure Moore.
  • I realize the torture scene was taken from Colonel Sun, but I thought it had a bit of a TWINE vibe too. Not sure if that was intentional.
  • JET007 wrote: »

Yes, but I thought FRWL, first.

The Dia de Los Muertos parade reminded me of the Carnaval parade in Moonraker (fave scene in both films!)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 582
    Some people are claiming that the Austria action scene with Bond in a plane is a homage to the tank chase in GE.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    JET007 wrote: »

I got that vibe too. When Hinx picked up Bond with one hand covering his face.

Yeah everyone keeps saying that's like FRWL, but to me it's Moore like the one in TSWLM, but does have some of the violence maybe in FRWL.

The way that Bond and Madeleine are met with friendly smiles and pleasantries at the Morocco lair reminded me of Sister Lily and Sister Rose in Dr. No, as well as being put in separate rooms.
    I took the Meteor bit, with the off-screen voice of the main villain interjecting, to be an intentional nod to DR. NO with the fish tank.

The offscreen voice and drak lighting here also reminded me of the scene with Dent when he picks up the tarantula in its cage.

Mod edit: four posts merged into 1!
  • You guys are bringing up some really good stuff! I agree that the separate rooms at Blofeld's lair must be a direct reference to Dr. No.
  • In DAD and SP, a normal looking villain becomes scarred after a bomb from Bond blows up in their face
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The entire scene with Bond and Mr. White is reminiscent to Octopussy when she gives Bond some exposition on how Bond confronted her father Major Dexter Smythe which ended with him killing himself.
  • Not a film reference, but the safehouse was named Hildebrand, after the legendary un-titleable "The Hildebrand Rarity."
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »
    The entire scene with Bond and Mr. White is reminiscent to Octopussy when she gives Bond some exposition on how Bond confronted her father Major Dexter Smythe which ended with him killing himself.

This brings up the point, that if the Moore Era, the Craig Era and Fleming's Bond all existed in the same universe, Octopussy's father actually murdered Blofeld's father. If you're up on your Fleming that will all fit together nicely for you.

Very interesting stuff. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read all the novels. But I plan on getting on it soon.
    Not a film reference, but the safehouse was named Hildebrand, after the legendary un-titleable "The Hildebrand Rarity."

I think I was the only one in my cinema that caught that reference.
    Also how what you mean by "legendary un-titleable" ?
  • dragonsky wrote: »
    Not a film reference, but the safehouse was named Hildebrand, after the legendary un-titleable "The Hildebrand Rarity."

I think I was the only one in my cinema that caught that reference.
    Also how what you mean by "legendary un-titleable" ?

I mean that "The Hildebrand Rarity" would make an utterly awful title, so it's never been used.

@Birdleson, did it really? I missed that bit.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    :)

VDfhoWE.jpg
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 87
    DN - music in the first scene and music in DN opening credits,
    TMWTGG - MI6 HQ in the final scene referes to Scaramanga's Funhouse,
    TLD - radio music, turbocharging and fire (car race),
    DAD - Bond torture chair scene to Jinx torture chair scene,
    SF - music: Grand Bazaar, the moors, second half of Deep Water
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @tigers99
    Please avoid multiple posts by using the edit button.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    The spiral car/helicopter (too similar not to be intentional) - THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

Definitely intentional. There's even a little ascending pan-pipe type note played over it that apes the much-maligned slide whistle

And I thought I was the only one to notice it.

I think SP has many references from the books: some of its story is taken from the short story Octopussy, there are of course some elements from TB and OHMSS, but also from DAF (the climax with the helicopter), MR (again) and DN.
    The SPECTRE meet in Rome was a direct reference to the QUANTUM meet in Austria in QoS (with Bond having infiltrated and viewing the proceedings from afar, until he is found out and has to make a run for it).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020
    "Hello, Pussy"
  • I don't remember precisely, but in the car when Moneypenny tells Bond about Mr.White, doesn't he say "Of course...QUANTUM!" which if I'm accurate, echoes Connery in FRWL saying "Of course...SPECTRE!"
  • The dialogue from Waltz prior to the
    torture scene
    can be found in the Colonel Sun book, almost word for word. I checked today, it's pretty much a direct lift.
    Bond plowing through the building in the plane reminded me of Kriegler plowing through the shed on the bike in FYEO (perhaps because of the snow)
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    All the references you all listed in SPECTRE. I already took noticed of that and and thank all of you for spotting that. I spotted most of them, but still thanks. :)
  • I think people are mostly seeing homages where there are just similarities.
  • Here's a few I noticed:

FYEO- opening helicopter sequence & death themes
    TSWLM- Madeleine and Anya wear very similar white dresses (probably just a coincidence, but it's immediately what I thought of)
    CR- The scene between Denbigh and M mirrored the PTS (was anyone else expecting M to say "I know where you keep your gun"?)

(I excluded OHMSS above because there's too many to count!)