SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I just left the theater. Three words....

Bloody fucking fantastic! !!!!!!!

\m/
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm really pleased with the reception in the fan community. I wish I could say the same for the general public.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I just left the theater. Three words....

Bloody fucking fantastic! !!!!!!!

I'm counting down until I see it again

Agreed... total awesome experience
    Brilliant review @DoctorNo. You echo my thoughts and sentiments exactly. There was definately an old school vibe to SP and Craig's laid back performance was very reminiscent of Connery's Thunderball Bond. This is Craig's best 007 after CR by far.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,598
    suavejmf wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    My biggest problem with it is that fact that it tries to embrace all the DC Bond films. For me making CR, and to some extent, QoS, relevant to SPECTRE seems to be stretching things a bit, I would rather have had it as a stand alone film, it's a great Bond film that would work on it's own and setting up future films feature the organisation of SPECTRE.
    Still an entertaining two-and-a-half hours that just fly by.

Barbara Broccoli suggests that the unnamed organisation we are aware of by the end of CR has SPECTRE written all over it. I agree with her and their decision to run with it once the rights issue was sorted.

Is Quantum a sub section of SPECTRE??? This is never explained.

You mean that this was never explained in the movie? What a disappointment and if so, how the hell does this film tie the previous entries together then? Don't answer that. It's just a rhetorical question. ;) The first question can be explained though if anyone so desires.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Finally saw it tonight. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I haven't felt this conflicted about a Bond film in a long time. So much to enjoy and so much to be disappointed in at the same time! I can't wait to finally get to read the five million posts in the spoiler review thread. I'm a wreck right now guys.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    I'm a tough critic and am very opinionated about my James Bond. I saw the movie this afternoon and was expecting the worse... All those reviews and comments... it ruined the reboot, it's ham fisted, it's too light, it's too dark, cast is wasted, too James Bond (wtf)...

Thank God, I ended up loving it. It's not perfect but I put it second behind CR for Craig's films, easily, no contest.

Summarizes perfectly the best of both sides of the SP reviews. Concluded in another thread that people who like SP are judging it on a different basis. Does the movie succeed in what it attempts to do…rather than some objective standard (like in your first paragraph).

Great breakdown @DoctorNo
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 7,500
    Watched it for the second time last night. And now I am really starting to love this film! It is actually so brilliantly made from start to finish. If there are any problems with it its solely to do with writing, not the execution which is damn perfect. The acting, the direction, the cinematography is all so great! And really I don't care about the at times incomplete writing when the overall experience is so fun.

My only proper complaint is that it might be too much. There are so many ideas, so many heavy scenes, the film has practically three different potential endings. Its a lot to take in. Almost overkill...

Right now its a sure top five for me, possibly top three. Its that good! But I obviously need many more viewings of it. Which I am most definitely looking forward to! :D
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Bounine wrote: »
    My biggest problem with it is that fact that it tries to embrace all the DC Bond films. For me making CR, and to some extent, QoS, relevant to SPECTRE seems to be stretching things a bit, I would rather have had it as a stand alone film, it's a great Bond film that would work on it's own and setting up future films feature the organisation of SPECTRE.

Barbara Broccoli suggests that the unnamed organisation we are aware of by the end of CR has SPECTRE written all over it. I agree with her and their decision to run with it once the rights issue was sorted.

You mean that this was never explained in the movie? What a disappointment and if so, how the hell does this film tie the previous entries together then? Don't answer that. It's just a rhetorical question. ;) The first question can be explained though if anyone so desires.

How much explanation does that require? For me it was quite clear.
    Sandy wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »

How much explanation does that require? For me it was quite clear.

So is it clear in the film that Quantum was some sort of cover name for the real name of the organisation? If you want to answer in spoiler tags then this would be cool. :)

You know, I think I'll watch DAD before I see this film. Then, I'm bound to appreciate some of it. ;)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Quantum wasn't a cover name, it was an ancillary company.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree that the London showdown was the weakest part, and a bit into superhero comics territory.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    doubleoego wrote: »

That's it, but I think it was quite clear, wasn't it?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sandy wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

That's it, but I think it was quite clear, wasn't it?

I thought so. I don't know how anyone was able to miss it as I thought it was conveyed well but apparently not everyone caught on.
  • I thought it was pretty clear that Quantum was part of SPECTRE, the words weren't actually said but it seemed pretty clear to me.

Anyway, overall I was slightly disappointed for two major reasons -

1. Some of the action was pretty average/almost boring (eg. the car chase)

2. I've had it with Mendes' "tributes" to other Bond films throughout his films. It was a fair enough little quirk of SF being the 50th anniversary but to do it again right through SPECTRE was very irritating.

Pros -

The opening sequence
    Craig
    Wishaw
    Fiennes
    Bautista as Hinx
    Waltz
    Good strong Bond Girl character
    Fight on the train
    Oberhauser's 3 minute challenge

Cons-

Terrible theme song
    Car chase (aside from humorous bit in the middle)
    Poor actress playing the strong Bond girl
    The one liners or lack of them
    All that snow and no Bond ski action
    Craig's Bond falling for the Bond girl..... again!!
    Too much scene stealing from other films of the series

I felt it was a mixed bag but still enjoyable. It wouldn't quite make my top 10 films on first watch though, I have SF and CR 5th and 6th overall. I still hope it grows on me with further viewing.
  • EDDIEVH wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear that Quantum was part of SPECTRE, the words weren't actually said but it seemed pretty clear to me.

2. I've had it with Mendes' "tributes" to other Bond films throughout his films. It was a fair enough little quirk of SF being the 50th anniversary but to do it again right through SPECTRE was very irritating.

Pros -

The opening sequence
    Craig
    Wishaw
    Fiennes
    Bautista as Hinx
    Waltz
    Fight on the train

Cons-

Terrible theme song

I felt it was a mixed bag but still enjoyable. It wouldn't quite make my top 10 films on first watch though, I have SF and CR 5th and 6th overall. I still hope it grows on me with further viewing.

What??? Lea Seydoux did what she could in the role she was given, she is an amazing actress!! Maybe it was just poor choice of words, if the writers had given her more to chew on, this might have changed your opinion but Lea is a proven actress.

Sorry I just wanted to give my two cents lol
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,314
    Bloefeld mentioned quantum by name.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    EDDIEVH wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty clear that Quantum was part of SPECTRE, the words weren't actually said but it seemed pretty clear to me.

Pros -

The opening sequence
    Craig
    Wishaw
    Fiennes
    Bautista as Hinx
    Waltz
    Fight on the train

Cons-

Terrible theme song

What??? Lea Seydoux did what she could in the role she was given, she is an amazing actress!! Maybe it was just poor choice of words, if the writers had given her more to chew on, this might have changed your opinion but Lea is a proven actress.

Sorry I just wanted to give my two cents lol

...well add another quarter. I think Seydoux did fine regardless of how you judge the material.
    ;)
    Lea Seydoux is spectacular and it's probably one of the best Bond girl performances ever if not the best. Only Eva Green probably was better.
    Her acting is nuanced to the smallest level possible, her gestures, facial expression, voice, body language. Also her dialogue is well though out.
  • I felt Seydoux was fairly wooden overall, I wouldn't want to criticize her other work so maybe it was the script. The character was strong but I didn't think she was great or strong in the role.

Best Bond girls in no order -

Claudine Auger
    Luciana Paluzzi
    Diana Rigg
    Jane Seymour
    Carole Bouquet
    Carey Lowell
    Sophie Marceau
    Eva Green

Seydoux was far from Denise Richards but never amongst the best.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I agree, she was a little wooden, but I blame it on the script. She, along with all the other actors, elevated the script they were given.

What the film lacks though,. imho.. is the 'spark' that characterizes the best of them.

That sense of playfulness/twinkle from the supporting cast is missing. Only DC showcases it, and he, imho, saves SP as a result.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree, she was a little wooden

No bondjames she was golden :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree, she was a little wooden

No bondjames she was golden :))

As was everything in the film I noticed..... I think it was to cover up the CGI (not sure) but it was pretty evident throughout.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I agree, she was a little wooden, but I blame it on the script. She, along with all the other actors, elevated the script they were given.

What the film lacks though,. imho.. is the 'spark' that characterizes the best of them.

That sense of playfulness/twinkle from the supporting cast is missing. Only DC showcases it, and he, imho, saves SP as a result.

Yeah I agree with that. I thought Waltz & Seydoux did what they could with characters in Oberhouser & Swann that had very thin motivation for the actions they took in the film.

In regard to the whole Quantum/SPECTRE thing. I think it's fairly obvious that after getting the rights back to SPECTRE they just decided to ret-con SPECTRE into the events that Quantum was responsible for and didn't really bother to explain much of a link between them. As a fan who wanted to see a conclusion of the Quantum storyline I guess I'm happy that they gave it a mention, but in the end they didn't really bother to flesh out that aspect of the storyline. Less of a plot hole, and more of them just kind of expecting fans to go along with it one way or another.

• DariusDarius UK

Very true.

I once saw an interview with Brent Spiner (Data on ST) and he said: "A good actor can elevate a bad script slightly, but a good script he can fly with."

Such is true here. I have no doubts about Léa Seydoux as an actress, but in SP, she wasn't given a great deal of good material to work with. On the other hand, Eva Green absolutely flew with the CR material (if you forget the "little finger" scene).
    I love the film, and I cant wait to watch it again tonight, for the third time..
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Thought it was a fantastic film. Looking forward to future viewings!
    So, reading everyone's comments, it basically comes down to the fact that the script was the weak point in the film.................so do members here think it is time EON go and find some different writers to give a new outlook to Bond?............i mean Purvis and Wade have had a good run at Bond now!
    SPECTRE has many great moments, the beginning and final (before tha last) scene are masterpieces and classic Bondian with great Newman's music. The greatest SP advantage is that during watching, it doesn't feel like it is the longest Bond movie.

Music in the first scene sounds like in Dr. No' opening title :). But SP has too many references to earlier Bonds and SP music has too many references to SF music (in the key moments !?). I don't understand why, there is no anniversary. Why we didn't even learn what means the SPECTRE acronym? Also imo SP is the most emotionally uneven Bond movie, e.g. during car race Bond shouldn't be so relaxed.

Character played by Lea Seydoux sometimes remind me Irma Bunt.
  • RC7RC7
    I think I'd describe SP as 'the Bond film I didn't know I wanted'. Which is infinitely better than getting the one you want.