Which Bond novel are you currently reading?

Comments

• DariusDarius UK
    Being a dyed-in-the-wool Fleming aficionado, I've always tread warily through the legacy novels after having been shocked at the poor writing of Raymond Benson -- after putting down one of his novels, I just didn't want to pick it up again. Ditto Sebastian Faulks -- Devil May Care wasn't particularly badly written, but judging from Faulks' other books, you can easily see he was on autopilot while writing this. However, I took a risk with Trigger Mortis a few months back. I read it on a rather long train journey and if I'd been wearing a hat, then I'd have thrown it high in the air.

After this, I decided to venture backwards in the canon and have a go at Jeffrey Deaver's Carte Blanche, which is the novel I'm reading now. I've barely got past the first few pages, and although I'm hoping to throw my hat in the air for real this time (I bought one specially for the occasion ;) ), I'm not holding high hopes.

But you know the old adage: If you hope for nothing, you'll never be disappointed.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Darius wrote: »
    Being a dyed-in-the-wool Fleming aficionado, I've always tread warily through the legacy novels after having been shocked at the poor writing of Raymond Benson -- after putting down one of his novels, I just didn't want to pick it up again. Ditto Sebastian Faulks -- Devil May Care wasn't particularly badly written, but judging from Faulks' other books, you can easily see he was on autopilot while writing this. However, I took a risk with Trigger Mortis a few months back. I read it on a rather long train journey and if I'd been wearing a hat, then I'd have thrown it high in the air.

After this, I decided to venture backwards in the canon and have a go at Jeffrey Deaver's Carte Blanche, which is the novel I'm reading now. I've barely got past the first few pages, and although I'm hoping to throw my hat in the air for real this time (I bought one specially for the occasion ;) ), I'm not holding high hopes.

But you know the old adage: If you hope for nothing, you'll never be disappointed.

Think you'll be eating your hat by the end of Carte Blanche!
  • Of all the post-Benson continuations I've read I think TM is the most successful, with Devil also worthy. I haven't read Deaver's, but it's on my Kindle waiting (four quid summat). I've actually stayed away from it because it's a 'modern Bond', and I expect it'll be like the movies. I think literary Bond works best for me when it's set in Fleming's world.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    I was disappointed with Trigger Mortis, feel like I was probably the only one, but it was hard to rate it so I wanted to compare it to another debut-novel. I picked Licence Renewed, thought it should give me a pretty fair comparison, and I just recently finished it (for the fourth time I might add).

I can immediately say that I find Licence Renewed to be a much better book. The story is better structured, well thought out and develops more interesting than Trigger Mortis. It also feels more classic, with its basic plot and straightforward sequence of events which makes the story move swiftly along. Licence Renewed has roughly the same lenght as Trigger Mortis, but I get much more engaged in it and it's often a real page-turner for me, even though it's the fourth time I'm reading it.

Horowitz has a writing that is closer to Fleming, but that isn't quite enough for me. Gardner has a writing that feels more "for real", he's writing the book from his persepective, while Horowitz is trying to emulate Fleming. Because of it parts of Trigger Mortis almost seem like fan fiction to me.

Gardner does his own thing, which I can understand annoy some fans, but for me that's the only way to do it. You can rarely imitate another author and make it convincing, the best way is always to write from your own perspective. That is probably why I have a soft spot for Garderns novels, they just feel so "genuine". It's not Fleming, he's not even trying to. It's just his own way of writing, and I like it!

Licence Renewed also has some really great characters. To me both Anton Murik and Lavender is classic and memorable characters, much more so than Jason Sin and Jeopardy Lane. Gardner takes much more time to let us get to know his characters, I never felt that in Trigger Mortis.

Licence Renewed is a solid Bond novel, and competes with some of Flemings books as well.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Still on Moonraker for the /th time, but first time I noticed that Marihuana is a drug that gets injected, really Mr Fleming? With your friends, I thought you knew better.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Still on Moonraker for the /th time, but first time I noticed that Marihuana is a drug that gets injected, really Mr Fleming? With your friends, I thought you knew better.

You don't inject your marijuanas?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You and me both do, but normal people eat it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's why we're the best and brightest of the bunch!

That's why we're the best and brightest of the bunch!

Yes that goes without saying. There, I said it.

I only smoke bananas.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Kronsteen wrote: »
    I was disappointed with Trigger Mortis, feel like I was probably the only one, but it was hard to rate it so I wanted to compare it to another debut-novel. I picked Licence Renewed, thought it should give me a pretty fair comparison, and I just recently finished it (for the fourth time I might add).

I can immediately say that I find Licence Renewed to be a much better book. The story is better structured, well thought out and develops more interesting than Trigger Mortis. It also feels more classic, with its basic plot and straightforward sequence of events which makes the story move swiftly along. Licence Renewed has roughly the same lenght as Trigger Mortis, but I get much more engaged in it and it's often a real page-turner for me, even though it's the fourth time I'm reading it.

Horowitz has a writing that is closer to Fleming, but that isn't quite enough for me. Gardner has a writing that feels more "for real", he's writing the book from his persepective, while Horowitz is trying to emulate Fleming. Because of it parts of Trigger Mortis almost seem like fan fiction to me.

Gardner does his own thing, which I can understand annoy some fans, but for me that's the only way to do it. You can rarely imitate another author and make it convincing, the best way is always to write from your own perspective. That is probably why I have a soft spot for Garderns novels, they just feel so "genuine". It's not Fleming, he's not even trying to. It's just his own way of writing, and I like it!

Licence Renewed also has some really great characters. To me both Anton Murik and Lavender is classic and memorable characters, much more so than Jason Sin and Jeopardy Lane. Gardner takes much more time to let us get to know his characters, I never felt that in Trigger Mortis.

Licence Renewed is a solid Bond novel, and competes with some of Flemings books as well.

I can relate to much of this. Gardners books are very well done. He put his own stamp on them without going off reservation.
    TM is a good read. I am enjoying, but I do find there is maybe a little too much effort to mimic Fleming. I appreciate the effort, but it is a hard trick to pull off. I think the key is to get the character right (which is no small task) as well as the basic background,factual context and continuity, and then put your own stamp on it.
    Still, unlike Faulks and Deaver, I would like to see Horowitz continue. He's doing a worthy job IMO. I haven't completely written off Boyd either. His effort was adequate, but Horowitz writes with a little more flair.
    I think the danger some of these writers fall into though, is to unwittingly incorporate cinema Bond elements.
    They should really just read all of Fleming ,plus Amis and Pearson and then dive write in.
    Purge the films from memory banks.
    Maybe read Gardner too, if author is writing Bond in the now, just to get a sense of how to write beyond the Fleming timeline.
  • DariusDarius UK
    timmer wrote: »
    I can relate to much of this. Gardners books are very well done. He put his own stamp on them without going off reservation.
    TM is a good read. I am enjoying, but I do find there is maybe a little too much effort to mimic Fleming. I appreciate the effort, but it is a hard trick to pull off. I think the key is to get the character right (which is no small task) as well as the basic background,factual context and continuity, and then put your own stamp on it.
    Still, unlike Faulks and Deaver, I would like to see Horowitz continue. He's doing a worthy job IMO. I haven't completely written off Boyd either. His effort was adequate, but Horowitz writes with a little more flair.
    I think the danger some of these writers fall into though, is to unwittingly incorporate cinema Bond elements.
    They should really just read all of Fleming ,plus Amis and Pearson and then dive write in.
    Purge the films from memory banks.
    Maybe read Gardner too, if author is writing Bond in the now, just to get a sense of how to write beyond the Fleming timeline.

I second this view that it would be good to see Horowitz continue, because I found Trigger Mortis to be the most engaging post-Fleming novel so far. It would be a shame for this book to be a one-hit wonder.

Also seconded is the notion of putting aside the movies. Let the movies stay where they are. This is the literary 007 here, so let's keep him just that.

My view is that mixing the movie Bond and the literary Bond is a bit like mixing orange juice with milk. They're both delicious on their own, but when you mix them, they are just an awful curdled mess.

I suppose many writers know that only a small portion of movie-goers will bother to read the books, so they incorporate movie elements to gain wider appeal. However, this move just alienates the literary 007 fans and the appeal is actually lessened as a result.
  • RC7RC7
    Finished Trigger Mortis about a week ago, squeezed in TMWTGG in the last week and now onto this...

12132765_1626801010915317_304483751_n.jpg

I feel slightly bad about buying these stories for the umpteenth time, but I'm a bit of a sucker for collecting various editions of the novels.
  • DariusDarius UK
    After reading Trigger Mortis, I decided to look backwards and give the last two Bond novels the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I'm about eighty pages into Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver and whilst it isn't badly written, it still hasn't moved into second gear, which is not a good sign. So far, I've encountered some fairly colourful characters, but sadly none of those are Bond. Our hero at this point seems to be all but desk-bound.

Still, I guess I'll extend that benefit just a little further...
    So I'm revisiting ThunderBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... b-(

It's one of my top 3 novels in the series: it's quite humorous and shows us interesting details about SPECTRE.

DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

I love the opening sequence with the scorpion and the beetle. On this litterary Bondathon, I have rediscovered how great all of these books are. It has been many years since I last read them.

They kept a lot from this book for the screen treatment. In terms of scenes, not characterization. More than for the previous three for sure.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I recommend SOLO, somewhat, but skip DEVIL MAY CARE. I may try CARTE BLANCHE.

I had a bad experience with Devil May Care a few years ago when it came out. My father bought a copy and regretted it. I borrowed said copy and regretted it too. Carte Blanche, however, is not shaping up too badly, although I'm going to reserve judgement on these boards until I've finished it.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,157
    I've started reading Colonel Sun. The plot is definitely gripping, and the writing style reminds me a lot of Fleming's.
    I don't know why Amis didn't write more Bond novels, but his book is certainly the only one which deserves to stand adjacent to Fleming's books.
    They should have made a movie based on it as well. I know they used some parts of it for TWINE and DAD, but a full movie adaptation is due.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Just rereading OHMSS again.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Just started Carte Blanche. I got it as a christmas present when it came out but somehow it got buried into my bookshelf. Thanks to Spectre I started to organise my Bond collection the other day and Carte Blanche just popped out.

Thanks to EON I´m reading it now.
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

That Donovan Grant aka Krassno Granitski is one bad card.
    FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

That Donovan Grant aka Krassno Granitski is one bad card.

He's almost monster-like in the novel. Robert Shaw, in comparison, is a lot more down-to-earth.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    JNO wrote: »
    Just started Carte Blanche. I got it as a christmas present when it came out but somehow it got buried into my bookshelf. Thanks to Spectre I started to organise my Bond collection the other day and Carte Blanche just popped out.

Thanks to EON I´m reading it now.

Can't say I enjoyed it. Prefer my literary Bond to fall within the Fleming time-line. Also not a fan of Deaver's. Readable, flawed and basically not one I'd keep in my collection. But that's just my opinion :-)
  • DariusDarius UK
    The fact that I'm still reading Carte Blanche after nearly three weeks since my last post should speak for itself. So far, the novel is well-written (from a prose point of view) and characterises Bond well, but at nearly five hundred pages long is far too lengthy and loses pace and sufficient focus as a result. Many incidents could easily be edited out or down without the plot losing anything. As a result, I'm less likely to pick it up once put down, which is one of the reasons the book is taking so long to read.

Anyway, soldier on!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I'm currently re-reading Octopussy and The Living Daylights. A rather strange title for a short story collection - definitely the strangest of Fleming's titles (which I generally appreciate). I'm up to "The Property of a Lady", which is a fine read from what I remember. Just read "The Living Daylights" three days ago and I loved the different take on Bond in that one. A pretty much perfect rendition of the assassin-sniping scene from the film. It makes me wish there was a short story detailing Bond's actions when an ally (ie. Saunders) gets killed ala TLD the film.
  • I've just read John Gardner's For Special Services
    one of my favorite
    DR. NO

A favourite. Strangways returns for a brief moment until those pesky chigroes turn up. Major Boothroyd makes his entrance, but is nothing like Q of course. Bond has to give up his Beretta after 15 years, and goes on a vacation-like mission to Jamaica, just like Fleming himself.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    From Russia With Love

Just started it, in fact I'm the chapter entitled The Wizard of Ice. It takes real balls from Mr. Fleming to dispense with his main character for about a third-ish of the novel. Each chapter one can feel the tension almost ratcheting up. Fleming serves up the best ensemble villains in the series.
  • RC7RC7
    royale65 wrote: »
    From Russia With Love

Just started it, in fact I'm the chapter entitled The Wizard of Ice. It takes real balls from Mr. Fleming to dispense with his main character for about a third-ish of the novel. Each chapter one can feel the tension almost ratcheting up. Fleming serves up the best ensemble villains in the series.

Saw someone reading FRWL on the tube last night. Wasn't you was it?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Nope. Haven't been to London in ages.
    I made it a goal this year to read all of Ian Flemings Bond novels, as I've never read them before and all I can say is wow! It was quite an experience reading them chronologically and seeing Fleming's writing develop. I think Live and Let Die stood out for me next to You Only Live Twice. They were good. I'm now on the short stories.