My thoughts on Spectre *Spoilers*

*This is a SPOILER filled "review" of spectre, and it is also my first time writing something like this. I wanted to get my thoughts out to someone who actually cares, and not pester my friends who arent as big a fan of James Bond as I am.
* English is not my first language so bare with me.

I went into the theatre having only seen 2 seconds of one of the trailers, 2 posters and a picture. I had also managed to stop myself from reading the plot. All I knew was that there would be a "cryptic message" and that James Bond would end up in the alps somewhere.
The movie starts off so promising, with the day of the dead parade. I actually anticipated this after seeing the poster with the masked man behind Daniel Craig. The poster made me think about Daniel Craig having said that his favorite Bond movie was Live and let die, and I also think its Sam Mendes' favorite Bond film. Also the fact that the movie was released on Halloween was a clue. Thank god the gun barrel is back at the start of the movie, me and my friends turned to eachother and smiled when it came on. The directing in the start was so well done, with the parade going one way and Bond and one of the villains going the other way. I thought the camera work was fantastic in this scene. As soon as Bond is up on the roof, you can tell Sam Mendes is back with his CGI, which I think most people find subtle, but personally it takes me out of the movie. It looks like a really good Xbox game at certain points. When the house collapses and Bond falls into a couch, I was thinking that Daniel Craig's facial expression and acting really saved what would have been a quite out of place moment if another actor had the role. The whole sequence ends with a fist fight inside an helicopter, that was clearly not done in an helicopter, and took me out of the movie again.

I hadn't heard the title song before watching the movie, and I think that the credit sequence really saves it. It is definetly not a song I'll be walking around listening to on spotify on my phone. Seeing James Bonds appartment, Moneypenny's appartment and generally everyones appartment is not something I want in a James Bond movie, but I really try to let things slide.
Im tired of writing now, but I just want to say there are 3 issues I have with this movie:
1. Blofeld is James Bond's step brother? Why would they write that? Why? So stupid. My heart actually sank
2. The ending makes it seem like James Bond chooses the girl over Mi6? A girl by the way, who he had no chemistry with whatsoever. Monica Bellucci's character seemed much more interesting, and a better match for Daniel Craigs older Bond. Is this possibly Craigs last bond?
3. Bond and the blonde girl with no emotions take an empty train to tangiere? I have to say this is where one of the best fights in Bond history takes place, but I dont understand why Blofeld would send a car to pick them up.. Maybe because he had them under surveillance? I dont know. Hopefully someone can clear this one up for me.
All in all I really dont know what to think of this movie right now. I'm going to watch it many more times I'm sure, but right now I'm kind of dissapointed. Blofeld is his step brother?? I dont know if I'll ever get over that one.
I asked one of my friends right after the movie, if he could remember anything from it. He said no. And so did I. I had to sit down and reflect on what I had experienced to remember anything. I don't know what that says.

Comments

• O6GO6G
    Darius wrote: »
    Thank you! I cant seem to delete this thread though
    ESB isn't a step brother though - there's no bloodline connection whatsoever. Bond was basically 'babysat' for two years by a surrogate father figure who took to Bond at the expense of his own son - or at least, this is how the situation is described through the eyes of the 'unloved' son - his take which may not in actual fact be what did happen.

I cannot believe you cannot recall anything from the film having just sat and watched it - that's a bit harsh. It's sad you didn't like it. Others on the thread directed above for you have suggested SP is a 'grower' and does get better after repeat viewings. I found it blew me away from the off and is astounding. Guess that's why we're all different.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Don't worry, a mod will do it for you.
  • O6GO6G
    andmcit wrote: »
    ESB isn't a step brother though - there's no bloodline connection whatsoever. Bond was basically 'babysat' for two years by a surrogate father figure who took to Bond at the expense of his own son - or at least, this is how the situation is described through the eyes of the 'unloved' son - his take which may not in actual fact be what did happen.

I cannot believe you cannot recall anything from the film having just sat and watched it - that's a bit harsh. It's sad you didn't like it. Others on the thread directed above for you have suggested SP is a 'grower' and does get better after repeat viewings. I found it blew me away from the off and is astounding. Guess that's why we're all different.

Regardless. James Bond and Blofeld growing up together is such a stupid concept to me. It sounds like fan fiction. And I bet the movie will grow on me, but I dont think the third act ever will. The ending was in my opinion terrible.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Shouldn't this be in the review thread? We all want our name in lights I suppose.
  • O6GO6G
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the review thread? We all want our name in lights I suppose.
    Why is everyone so unpleasant on this forum?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No harm done O6G, just continue in the linked thread.
This discussion has been closed.