James Suzuki

So, surprised to find out the only thing ever done (come on, they made fanfics out of way dumber shit than that) with James's child with Suzuki is that short story published in Playboy (he would want it that way), I've been kinda wondering...

Do you think something could/should be done with the idea of James Bond having a son?

And I don't mean like him passing the mantle or shit like that, I mean literally anything, no matter how small or a big of a deal it would be.

Comments

• Type 'James Bond Jr.' into YouTube. That's your saturday night.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,895
    I don't think it would provide much material--part of Bond's appeal is that he's entirely free of family ties. I don't even a single child appears in the novels.

That said, Bond's child is a fascinating topic, and many have speculated on what might have happened. Here's my version:

Kissy gave birth to a boy who enjoyed a happy childhood among the Ama, though he must have missed his father--described by Kissy as a brave foreign policeman who killed the wickedest foreign dragon in Japan and converted the garden of death into an eden. Eventually the boy--named Taro after his father--left his hometown and, propelled by an innate sense of justice, became a local policeman. Despite the community's initial unease at his mixed-race status, the young man became accepted and well-liked, and though his district was small and provincial he occasionally handled an interesting case.
    The most exciting one involved the capture of a foreign criminal, and Taro's department was helped by a foreign policeman sent from England. The gray-haired but still handsome foreigner told Taro that he was semi-retired but employed by his country on occasional special missions, especially since he liked to travel. He and Taro worked together for only a day, but they hit it off. To celebrate the end of the case, they had dinner and sake. As he got up to leave, the foreigner explained that he wanted to travel south to see the Ama girls. Taro thought the foreigner was joking and didn't bother saying his mother had once been an Ama girl, though she'd retired to Tokyo several years before. The two men shook hands, said goodbye, and never saw each other again. Had James Bond known he'd left Kissy with child, he might have put two and two together. Had Taro Suzuki known his father's real name, he might have done likewise. But all these things were, in Tiger Tanaka's phrase, of as little account as sparrow's tears...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would love to see that aspect of the novels work it's way into the film incarnation. But not in any conventional way. Maybe the kid could be retarded or something, and Bond still has to bring him along on an intense mission because he can't find anyone to watch the young (I'm trying to find the acceptable PC phrase, but it's just not coming!). That would be fricking hilarious. That is the direction I want this series to take post-Craig. A completely different vibe, lasting for maybe three or four films. Then we can get all dour again.
    LMFAO!

This Summer...

Rob Schneider as James Bond....

and starring..

Rob Schneider as the retarded son of James Bond...

PUSSYBLASTER. Rated PG-13. In cinemas soon.

On topic: Hmm...I thought the idea of Bond having a son was kinda dumb. I am glad it's kinda a forgotten thing about Bond.

But.....seeing everything that happened in the novels...I wouldn't be surprised if some author brings his son in some future novel as a person that works with the Triad or whatever.

I mean..it would be.....ok I guess twist if that character appeared in a future movie to establish yet another bond (heh) between the old movies and the new to say that Bond had a kid in YOLT, but to the casual fan it will seem like something that was created just for the movie and as such he would deem it retarded...and..well I guess it's totally unneeded to bring him back I guess.

Didn't Blofeld had a daughter in some of the Benson novels ? That wasn't the greatest idea as well..but I guess it was alright in comparison with Bond having a son.

Bottom line: Eh, it depends on how they'll handle it.
    That was only in one Gardner nove, "For Special Services". Nena Bismaquer, IIRC.

And Bond's son has been mentioned before Benson, by John Pearson in "James Bond : The Authorized Biography". And both were aware of each other's existence.
    Gerard wrote: »
    And Bond's son has been mentioned before Benson, by John Pearson in "James Bond : The Authorized Biography". And both were aware of each other's existence.

True, but Pearson has an alternate continuity from Fleming. And it's more realistic for Bond and his son not be aware of each other's existence. IIRC, Kissy did not know Bond's real name, and even if she did, she would have had no way of contacting him (neither Tiger nor Dikko would have volunteered confidential info like Bond's address, especially after they realized she duped them into thinking Bond was dead). In all likelihood, Kissy would have known only that her husband Taro vanished into Russia.

As for Bond, I think his memories of life with Kissy were wiped out after he recovered from amnesia. Even if they weren't, if memory serves, Kissy was secretive about her pregnancy. Bond is not the type to revisit old girlfriends, and Kissy was in a remote area. He might have decided to see her again if he returned to Japan, but he equally might have let the past be past, especially if his memories of were reduced post-amnesia. Bond does not even give Kissy a thought in TMWTGG.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would love to see that aspect of the novels work it's way into the film incarnation. But not in any conventional way. Maybe the kid could be retarded or something, and Bond still has to bring him along on an intense mission because he can't find anyone to watch the young (I'm trying to find the acceptable PC phrase, but it's just not coming!). That would be fricking hilarious. That is the direction I want this series to take post-Craig. A completely different vibe, lasting for maybe three or four films. Then we can get all dour again.
    LMFAO!

This Summer...

Rob Schneider as James Bond....

and starring..

Rob Schneider as the retarded son of James Bond...

PUSSYBLASTER. Rated PG-13. In cinemas soon.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 5,767
    In the end all this kid stuff comes down to soap opera stuff hampering the plot.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Revelator wrote: »
    I don't think it would provide much material--part of Bond's appeal is that he's entirely free of family ties. I don't even a single child appears in the novels.

That said, Bond's child is a fascinating topic, and many have speculated on what might have happened. Here's my version:

Kissy gave birth to a boy who enjoyed a happy childhood among the Ama, though he must have missed his father--described by Kissy as a brave foreign policeman who killed the wickedest foreign dragon in Japan and converted the garden of death into an eden. Eventually the boy--named Taro after his father--left his hometown and, propelled by an innate sense of justice, became a local policeman. Despite the community's initial unease at his mixed-race status, the young man became accepted and well-liked, and though his district was small and provincial he occasionally handled an interesting case.
    The most exciting one involved the capture of a foreign criminal, and Taro's department was helped by a foreign policeman sent from England. The gray-haired but still handsome foreigner told Taro that he was semi-retired but employed by his country on occasional special missions, especially since he liked to travel. He and Taro worked together for only a day, but they hit it off. To celebrate the end of the case, they had dinner and sake. As he got up to leave, the foreigner explained that he wanted to travel south to see the Ama girls. Taro thought the foreigner was joking and didn't bother saying his mother had once been an Ama girl, though she'd retired to Tokyo several years before. The two men shook hands, said goodbye, and never saw each other again. Had James Bond known he'd left Kissy with child, he might have put two and two together. Had Taro Suzuki known his father's real name, he might have done likewise. But all these things were, in Tiger Tanaka's phrase, of as little account as sparrow's tears...

A very good story outline. B-)

Why don't you develop it into a fanfic?
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    boldfinger wrote: »
    In the end all this kid stuff comes down to soap opera stuff hampering the plot.

True to a degree, but Bond having a son would provide some jeopardy if Blofeld kidnapped him or something.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dear God no.

We have already delved far too much into Bond's past/family with SF and the Oberhauser thing.