Another Bond "Rule"

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
We all know of the "Rule of Three" third time out results in a classic film. I have one for you:
The "final" Film of actors with more than three result in forgettable movies. And like fleming said in "Goldfinger"
"Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence ; third time is Enemy Action"
With three actors having done 3 or more films they seem to have fallen into the pattern of "final film really stinks"
Connery DAF during an earlier post this film seemed to receive the most votes for one to "forget"
Moore AVTAK I actually liked this film but most Bond fans seem to boo it so I nominate it as following the pattern
Brosnan DAD nuff said.

Your thoughts or feelings. If Skyfall is Craig's last then what?

Comments

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    he's signed through Bond 24... it wont be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2011 Posts: 28,694
    It is a true "rule".

My Bond emotions:

DAF-
    :| :-S :-<
    AVTAK-
    :-q :-t
    DAD-
    ^#(^ X_X ~X( [-( :-w
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hmmm, it seems to be the pattern. However, I wouldn't say their final outings stink- they're just weak in comparison.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    We all know of the "Rule of Three" third time out results in a classic film. I have one for you:
    The "final" Film of actors with more than three result in forgettable movies. And like fleming said in "Goldfinger"
    "Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence ; third time is Enemy Action"
    With three actors having done 3 or more films they seem to have fallen into the pattern of "final film really stinks"
    Connery DAF during an earlier post this film seemed to receive the most votes for one to "forget"
    Moore AVTAK I actually liked this film but most Bond fans seem to boo it so I nominate it as following the pattern
    Brosnan DAD nuff said.

Your thoughts or feelings. If Skyfall is Craig's last then what?
    *facepalm*

Just because something happened one way, it does not mean that it will always happen that way.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,894
    ^ True. QoS may very well be (and I hope) Craig's weakest out of the 6 or 7 he does. ( [-O< )
    I think the last film has never been the best because the circumstances have never been certain, it has never been known that the actor would definitley be finishing until the films were completed. I think they have missed a trick as they could have given each actor a big send off which surely would help box office?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    First: there aint no rule of three. Goldfinger is one of Connery's weaker films, TWINE isn't Brosnan's best and I think LALD is Moore's best.

And considering your new 'rule': AVTAK rocks, DAF is indeed bad and DAD even worse, but why should you compare the last films of only the actors who did 3 or more? I think LTK is the weakest of Dalton's films.
    So only Moore doesn't comply to your new rule, whilst neither he, Connery nor Brosnan do to the rule of three.
    If it had to be true about Craig, what would you rather?

2 'alright' Bond movies, or 1 amazing movie, and then 'another'...
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    So TWINE was a "classic" film? I don't agree there, sorry.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If it had to be true about Craig, what would you rather?

2 'alright' Bond movies, or 1 amazing movie, and then 'another'...

I think they have all been great and I'm sure Skyfall will not our socks off and get pushovers to like Craig.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,341
    First: there aint no rule of three. Goldfinger is one of Connery's weaker films, TWINE isn't Brosnan's best and I think LALD is Moore's best.

And considering your new 'rule': AVTAK rocks, DAF is indeed bad and DAD even worse, but why should you compare the last films of only the actors who did 3 or more? I think LTK is the weakest of Dalton's films.
    So only Moore doesn't comply to your new rule, whilst neither he, Connery nor Brosnan do to the rule of three.

Goldfinger one of Connery's weakest? . I suppose it is okay to disagree but how can you say that about Goldfinger? This is the quintessential Bond movie. It established the "formula" that has worked so beautifully...and it had sean Connery at the top of his game.

Never said TWINE was Brosnan's best. Brosnan proved the exception to the rule of three.

AVTAK : I liked the movie but it does not stand up to some of Moore's other films.
    LTK does not enter the discussion since this rule applies to actors with 3 or more films. As for LTK being weak: :-)) :-)) :-))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Who COULD say that TWINE was his best film?
  • AVTAK was way, way better than Moonraker... Just my opinion.
  • Was Diamonds Connery's worst for me?, yes, I do think so, he only came back in 1971 because he was offered an astronomical sum to appear for a sixth time after leaving the franchise or deciding it was enough during You Only Live Twice

View To A Kill was Moore's nadir as 007, should of left before then and it was all a bit farcicle

Brosnan also did himself no favors in his last appearance in DAD, his third effort will always be his finest for me

Craigs third next year is slowly building up to what could well be the best of all that he is involved in without waiting to see what happens with subsequent appearances

Aaaaargh wrote:
    AVTAK was way, way better than Moonraker... Just my opinion.

No it was not, just my opinion. :D
    SaintMark wrote:
    Aaaaargh wrote:
    AVTAK was way, way better than Moonraker... Just my opinion.

No it was not, just my opinion. :D

In many ways it was, my opinion. Bond will always be "sci-fi" because of the gadgets, but that was just pushing it.

Though, interestingly, Nazi-ism is involved in both. Drax is attempting to make a "space master race", and Max Zorin was a Nazi experiment.

Now that I think of it, "Master Race in Space" sounds better, because it sounds like a really stupid ice skating play.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Goldfinger one of Connery's weakest? . I suppose it is okay to disagree but how can you say that about Goldfinger? This is the quintessential Bond movie. It established the "formula" that has worked so beautifully...and it had sean Connery at the top of his game.

Well, by saying it was one of his weaker films. It wasn't his worst, mind you, but I think the overall feel of FRWL, Dr. No and TB make for far superior films. Goldfinger has loads of errors and irredeamable plotholes. Why would Goldfinger tell the hoodlums what he's planning to do if he isn't going to let them in on the game? Only to tell James Bond? What use is that? Why would Pussy now suddenly turn to the side of righteous (indeed, why, Fiona Volpe? ;) )?
    Moreover I think the formuleastic approach has been part of why we got so many mediocre Bond-films. Bond-films that were so far away from Fleming.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:

Well, by saying it was one of his weaker films. It wasn't his worst, mind you, but I think the overall feel of FRWL, Dr. No and TB make for far superior films. Goldfinger has loads of errors and irredeamable plotholes. Why would Goldfinger tell the hoodlums what he's planning to do if he isn't going to let them in on the game? Only to tell James Bond? What use is that? Why would Pussy now suddenly turn to the side of righteous (indeed, why, Fiona Volpe? ;) )?
    1. Goldfinger is an arrogant gloating psychopath.
    2. Goldfinger is an arrogant, gloating psychopath. Plus Bond would find out anyway by the time he gets chained to a bomb in Fort Knox, old Auric's just having some fun.
    3. He's James Bond. It would defeat the point of Bond being a suave ladies man if every pretty girl he met said 'nah, no thanks.'

Those weren't plot holes, they were decisions made by characters and are in no way 'irredeamable'.

If you want a plot hole...try Jinx's stomach miraculously healing at the end of DAD, or Bond saying 'M and I were in Tokyo once' when in YOLT he says he's never been there.