If (SPECTRE SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!)... THEN WHY NOT...?

I am just curious. If Blofeld can come back in this new Bond world, why can't other old Bond villains make an appearance in modern times in new versions of their characters? I would love to see Scaramanga back!

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I used to hate the idea, but have changed my mind, as there are many good actors out there that could put in some brilliant performances, and after all many actors have played Hamlet or Macbeth, so why not. :)
  • In theory, they could. I don't see any reason they can't. Although that can be a slippery slope. Not sure I'd want to see that. They would be veering dangerously close to remake territory.
    I agree with No remakes, but using characters in a contemporary story could be interesting.
    Yes I realise ESB saw a few DrWho reincarnations but surely that'd be too weird without the screen presence of Christopher Lee and you'd be messing with established Bond that is revered and should best be left untouched? Interesting idea though. Are we going to have Oddjob and Jaws together as the two servants to Stromberg in a new TSWLM?
  • Lol yeah I know it's definitely dangerous territory especially with someone like Scaramanga, because the whole plot revolves around chasing him down. But I definitely think there is room to do something with older characters, in new modern setting, with a different plot. They managed with Blofeld, even tho some may not like the plot or how he was used, but they did. Or maybe pull some more characters from the original books if any are left to use.
    With SF, we had elements of the story of TMWTGG. Bond sent on a make or break
    Mission, to bring down an equally skilled opponent ? Could Silva have been a modern
    Interpretation of Scaramanga ?
  • DrGorner wrote: »
    With SF, we had elements of the story of TMWTGG. Bond sent on a make or break
    Mission, to bring down an equally skilled opponent ? Could Silva have been a modern
    Interpretation of Scaramanga ?

You know I never thought about it like that. You might be right! He might be closest thing to Scaramanga we got. If you take out the whole story with M's past and everything and just leave it between Bond chasing down a skilled ex-agent, that would definitely be extremely close to TMWTGG!! If the case is that that was their version of Scaramanga, I am not disappointed.
    There is a difference though: most Bond villains have not been massacred the way Blofeld has been. Scaramanga is a tough cookie, because although Christopher Lee was magnificent in a rather bad movie, he was very different from the novel's Scaramanga.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Sean bean can come back and die again
    :)) Yep ! Poor Sean always dies.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 39
    Ludovico wrote: »
    There is a difference though: most Bond villains have not been massacred the way Blofeld has been. Scaramanga is a tough cookie, because although Christopher Lee was magnificent in a rather bad movie, he was very different from the novel's Scaramanga.

I have yet to watch the movie, but I read all the spoilers just so I can be prepare myself and know what to expect so Idk how I feel about how they handled Blofeld. I'll be able to tell when I see it in perspective of sitting there and watching it.

But I haven't read the novels either so I am not sure how and what the differences are between the character of Scaramanga in the novel and in the movie. I thought he was amazingly creepy and threatening in the movie, shame the movie was a suck fest for the most part. But they could definitely make him more like the novel if it helps make him useful for a future role. I can't think of another character they could do so much with. I thought of Grant, but I'm not sure. It'd be cool if they ever did use Grant again that they left the audience in suspense and then all of a sudden you see a wire being pulled from his watch while getting ready to strangle someone, that would be an AWESOME reveal, well... for Bond fans anyway.
    :)) Yep ! Poor Sean always dies.
    He doesn't die in The Martian!!!
    For his small little role LMFAO...
    The Scaramanga of the book is basically a thug, not the suave intelligent Villain that
    The wonderful Christopher Lee gave us.
    The Scaramanga of the book is basically a thug, not the suave intelligent Villain that

Oh. That would be a step in the wrong direction and ultimately taint the awesome villain we once had.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't want to see any old villains brought back for the sake of "It's rebooted." Blofeld is the exception because he was screwed up mainly in DAF and just underused in YOLT. It's practically remake territory. I don't want EON remaking their old classics because it would cheapen the Bond brand. 007 Legends comes to mind as it tried remaking some of the Films in modern ways and just plain sucked. Eon needs to stay fresh and original, there are plenty of unused Fleming villains left. I want to see the Spang Brothers. I don't want to see Dr. No, Goldfinger or Scaramanga again because they were already played perfectly already. Bond has survived because kept moving on and not relying on bringing back old foes. Plus it's cliche now since all reboots are using iconic villains from times past for better or worse, mainly worse.
    No I don't want other villains coming back. I agree Blofeld is the exception, because he is supposed to be Bond's arch-enemy and was sorely underused in that way in the films. He just fizzled out in DAF and then they couldn't use him again because of Kevin McClory.
    DrGorner wrote: »

Yes and an ugly, vulgar, repulsive thug.
    I just want Blofeld to return in B25 and continue the story arc!
    Does anyone think Blofeld will not return ? I can't see them not using Waltz again.
    It only a question of How, they continue his story.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I just want Blofeld to return in B25 and continue the story arc!

I think that is inevitable. Given how much of the same cast would be returning I would like to see Irma Bunt back to freshen things up a bit. Not really sure who would be best to play her yet (people bandying about Tilda Swinton's name and certainly I think she would be the front runner).

As with Blofeld, Bunt is unfinished business and given she is part of Blofeld's world it makes sense and would not be precisely the same as rebooting Jaws or Oddjob.

Also am I the only one who wants a proper SPECTRE scheme next time round? Ok I know we are in the realistic Craig era but bugger it - the CNS thing just wasnt high stakes enough. Lets give Dan one countdown to Armageddon in his tenure.

PS- Does anyone know if Waltz has already been signed for another film? We dont really want to be going down the Pleasance/Savalas/Gray merry go round route again.
    If any other villain needs to be back it's definitely Irma Bunt. And I'd add Buonaparte Ignace Gallia to the mix for the same reasons: his movie version was very different.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    If any other villain needs to be back it's definitely Irma Bunt. And I'd add Buonaparte Ignace Gallia to the mix for the same reasons: his movie version was very different.

Please dont - it will only set the tedious Idris Elba bandwagon rolling again. Although if we have to have him this wouldnt be a bad part for him. Although the tabloids would say its racist making him the villain not Bond so probably not.
  • DariusDarius UK
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Does anyone think Blofeld will not return ? I can't see them not using Waltz again.
    It only a question of How, they continue his story.

It's also a question of whether Waltz either wants the part or is available to do it.
  • Blofield will....! return, if it's Waltz good (With a better written script.), if not it doesn't matter as throughout the series he is always changing his face so they can work round it.

Please dont - it will only set the tedious Idris Elba bandwagon rolling again. Although if we have to have him this wouldnt be a bad part for him. Although the tabloids would say its racist making him the villain not Bond so probably not.

Elba would have been the ideal candidate for Big if he hadn't behaved like such an arrogant tw*t. I used to admire him as an actor if not a person. Not so much now.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't want to see any old villains brought back for the sake of "It's rebooted." Blofeld is the exception because he was screwed up mainly in DAF and just underused in YOLT. It's practically remake territory. I don't want EON remaking their old classics because it would cheapen the Bond brand. 007 Legends comes to mind as it tried remaking some of the Films in modern ways and just plain sucked. Eon needs to stay fresh and original, there are plenty of unused Fleming villains left. I want to see the Spang Brothers. I don't want to see Dr. No, Goldfinger or Scaramanga again because they were already played perfectly already. Bond has survived because kept moving on and not relying on bringing back old foes. Plus it's cliche now since all reboots are using iconic villains from times past for better or worse, mainly worse.

Well said. I agree vehemently with this.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    +1
  • I agree with Irma Bunt, I definitely think she has potential to come back. I also believe Tilda Swinton, not just in the role of Irma, but in general, she would be an amazing villainess, sub-villain, or henchwoman.
  • DariusDarius UK
    If she does come back, Irma Bunt will be the last of the Fleming-created villains, and now we have Blofeld back, there's no reason not to bring her back too. However, I rather hope this won't create an avalanche of previous villains, all eager to have their first re-booted crack at 007.

Tilde Swinton would make a good choice to play Bunt, but I would rather prefer an actress more like Fleming's description of her, which would mean a fuller-figured woman:

"She looked like a very sunburned female wardress, She had a square, brutal face with hard yellow eyes. Her smile was an oblong hole without humour or welcome, and there were sunburn blisters at the left corner of her mouth which she licked from time to time with the tip of a pale tongue. Wisps of brownish grey hair, with a tight neat bun at the back showed from under a skiing hat with a yellow talc visor that had straps which met under her chin. Her strong, short body was dressed in unbecomingly tight vorlage trousers topped by a grey wind-jacket..." from On Her Majesty's Secret Service ch. 9.
    Where do you draw the line? Jaws?