felix leiter spin-off

edited November 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 12,837
Since he's most likely not going to be featured in skyfall, I was just thinking how much sense it would make for felix lieter to get a spin-off movie (or movies). It would make sense. Having an american agent would be a great way to appeal to the US market. And some people have been saying its time for a black bond, others say why don't they make a new secret agent, well why not give lieter a spin-off series with the actor who played him in CR and QOS. If done right he could basically be bonds american equivalent (no jason bourne is not bonds american equivalent they are 2 very different characters, niether is ethan hunt from mission impossible).

I say give lieter a spin-off movie, then if it does well maybe make more films. Cmon, if EON were willing to make a spin off movie about jinx of all people, then they should definetly be up for making one about one of bonds best allies.

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    It'd be awesome if they continued to use Wright as Lieter, and include references to him working with MI6. I'd definitely see it.
    Problem is Wright isn't very physical, and Leiter never really has been either. CIA operates mainly through intelligence. They don't have agents quite like Bond. They have agents that gather intel, can get out of minor scuffles, but ultimately don't act the way 00's do. The CIA usually operates with field agents like Leiter, but strike with teams, usually Navy Seal teams. It'd be intersting to see how true a Leiter film would stick to this.

But yes, I'm all for it, as long as its not a photocopy of Bond.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,924
    Okay, how about a tv action/drama called 'The Leiter Side of Life', where Felix always disagrees with Beam's methods, therefore going about missions his own way to get them done efficiently. In season 2, Leiter is suddenly section chief, allowing viewers to assume the new season's events now take place after QoS.
    I think the title is cheesy, but I'd go for it.
  • No. Spinoffs. Ever.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited November 2011 Posts: 11,139
    I stopped reading after, "appeal to the US Market." What appeal?? There are countless action movies with heroes of all shapes, sizes and ages that appeal to the US Market. John McLane, Jack Bauer, Ethan Hunt, Jack Ryan, Jason Bourne... need I say more? Felix Leiter doesn't need a spin off movie, he's a secondary character and should remain so.
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,924
    How about a spin-off for Quarrel? Throughout the whole movie he just sits in his boat, and bores whatever poor chap unfortunate enough to accompany him with fishing stories and tales of fire-breathing dragons that leave trails no local could ever mistake for tyre tracks. I smell a summer blockbuster!
  • Quantum of Quarrel
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,924
    And if Crab Key- The Fisherman Who Loved, er, Fish is a success, they could follow it up with a couple of sequels:

Crab Key II- Fish Hard or Die Tryin' and Crab Key III- Fish Hard with a Vengeance, where Quarrel sets off on a fishin' mission to catch the notorious 'Hildy', a rare giant squirrel fish which has eluded fisherman since it was spotted a decade ago.
  • Fishin' Impossible
    Nice one :-D
    No. Spinoffs. Ever.
    This.

• doubleoego wrote:
    I stopped reading after, "appeal to the US Market." What appeal?? There are countless action movies with heroes of all shapes, sizes and ages that appeal to the US Market. John McLane, Jack Bauer, Ethan Hunt, Jack Ryan, Jason Bourne... need I say more?

but these are all american. So i thought giving lieter, an american agent, a spin-off would be a good way to introduce younger americans to the bond universe.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's Felix Leiter, not Lieter.

And no, we don't want a spin-off for the Bondiverse. They will give Leiter something to do when he has something to do. I don't think Leiter as a focal point for the Bond films is such a good idea anyway.
    NO SPINOFFS THANKS. This was talked about with first Wai Lin in TND and Jinx in DAD. Notrhing ever came of ot and rightly so. Let's keep spinoffs to the superhero genre etc. They dont belong in the Bondiverse.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,924
    James Bond Origins: Vesper Lynd.

Anyone?
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    It's Felix Leiter, not Lieter.

And no, we don't want a spin-off for the Bondiverse. They will give Leiter something to do when he has something to do. I don't think Leiter as a focal point for the Bond films is such a good idea anyway.
    Yeah, seriously, fix the title please.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    NO.
  • Only if its set in 1989 with Leiter, Sharkey and Pam Bouvier.
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Only if its set in 1989 with Leiter, Sharkey and Pam Bouvier.

Have I found another person who enjoys licence to kill as much as i do???
  • Yes! It's my fave Bond ever and It's good to see so much respect for it here on MI6. Even my profile pic is Truman Lodge in a Bond tux. "Bless your Heart"
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 23,536
    I took care of the title but other members seem to have grown accustomed to the misspelling... :O
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Only if its set in 1989 with Leiter, Sharkey and Pam Bouvier.

I agree with Leiter and Sharkey. I didn't care too much for Pam, but Leiter, Sharkey and Bond had great chemistry.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I could agree with some spin-offs, even more agreed if Bond shows up in some scenes at some of the films.
    samainsy wrote:
    Thanks,John Terry is a crap Leiter who agrees?

I agree and I think everybody does. I haven't seen anybody on here say anybody else was a worse Leiter.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2013 Posts: 13,894
    Terry was a poor Leiter, but I think Burton & Linder were actually worse. Burton's Leiter looked more like a middle aged used car dealer.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If Terry was given a little more to do like Burton and Linder and kept him for Licence to Kill, I think he would have been a great Felix.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I'm kinda against it.

It would have to remain in keeping with the style and tone of the Craig era and Jeffery Wright would need to play the part in order for it to fit into the reboot timeline. Now, whilst Wright is a pretty decent actor, I don't really think he's got "leading man" written all over him. He's got acting chops, sure, but I don't think he's really got the looks or physique to play an action hero.

But Felix isn't really an action hero anyway. So, any spin-off would have to be a film that was more about espionage and intrigue - a thriller more than anything else, and I don't know if that would work in the context of the new Bond universe that's been established. The audience will be expecting a Bond-style action movie, and what they would get is something a little more cerebral.

It might have worked if Wright had established a character that was a little closer to Fleming's happy-go-lucky Texan, who always had a joke, a positive outlook and a love of gambling and fast cars, just like Bond. But Wright's Leiter is a fairly miserable sourpuss. He's rubbish at gambling and when his boss agrees to kill his buddy as a deal sweetener, all he does is look like he swallowed a bee. If Wright had established a better camaraderie with Bond (or, dare I say it, they had a more photogenic actor in the role), then it might have been possible for a spin-off.

As it is, I wouldn't want to sit in a cinema for an hour and a half watching Jeffery Wright look like he's sucking lemons, when I know I could be watching Daniel Craig blow stuff up and say "thank you" a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of Wright's Leiter either. He just bores me and for all the talk of this great chemistry with Craig I don't see it. I still think Hedison is the best.

Craig era wise, I preferred Mathis. He was brilliant, shame they killed him off.
    Felix Leiter is good when he travels in 007's companionship otherwise his antics do not interest me at all.