Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• Interesting article in today's UK Sunday Times.

Evidently UK sales from IFP's recent celebrity strategy were as follows:

DMC = 300,000
    CB = 90,000
    SOLO = 100,000

A 66% reduction post DMC is clearly something of a disaster but I continue to think that Horowitz will turn things around.

I'm re-reading 'Goldfinger' as an appetiser and I'm racing to finish it before tomorrow night so I can dive straight into 'Trigger Mortis'.

I would guess because devil may care was so crappy that Carte Blanche suffered

As I have said before Carte Blanche is my favorite of the three of the guest writer books.

Ranking for me
    1. Carte Blanche: intriguing but some what bland I enjoyed it but felt annoyed for some reason I can't remember I need to reread it
    2. Devil May Care : I hated bond getting high with opium and the fake twin 006 (or was it 009) garbage was well annoying
    3. Solo oh dear god boring annoying and stupid

Trigger Morris I think might be second in the list as there is some intriguing action I read but we will see
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree, I hated Solo so boring.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I agree, I hated Solo so boring.

Solo absolutely had its moments but as a grand total it lacked the story or intensity that makes the Fleming novels different from the average spy thriller. While the story about 007 being a puppet for the UK big companies in a post colonial Africa was actually quite an interesting concept it was not fulfilled by the story.
    The way the book opens with bond frittering away his birthday again for a short story cool that is fine but to start a complete book like that are you kidding me?

Like I said in spite of Anthony's recent comments about the Craig era I will read the book (when I have the money to buy it) with fresh eyes and give it a chance
    So far I'm about a third of the way through Trigger Mortis
    and am very pleased so far.
    I'll have to wait until my birthday.
  • Although a little superficial, Ben William's review for this site is positive and he rates it as the best continuation novel since 'Colonel Sun'.
    No mention of the late great Gardner in his comparison ?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,727
    Although a little superficial, Ben William's review for this site is positive and he rates it as the best continuation novel since 'Colonel Sun'.
    No mention of the late great Gardner in his comparison ?

Shamefully John Gardner is mentioned all too rarely perhaps not to embarrass the "celebrity trilogy" authors...it's been proven few could match his success and dedication when it came to writing mere James Bond continuations. Gardner made it look easy (as a seasoned and well-loved thriller writer and novelist) to follow in Fleming's footsteps but it's certainly not easy...I wish Anthony Horowitz every success in this venture. Amis aside, we seem to have returned to the notion that only thriller writers can truly write spy thrillers. What a revelation! ;)
    I highly rate the first six or so Gardner novels.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I would guess because devil may care was so crappy that Carte Blanche suffered

As I have said before Carte Blanche is my favorite of the three of the guest writer books.

Ranking for me
    1. Carte Blanche: intriguing but some what bland I enjoyed it but felt annoyed for some reason I can't remember I need to reread it
    2. Devil May Care : I hated bond getting high with opium and the fake twin 006 (or was it 009) garbage was well annoying
    3. Solo oh dear god boring annoying and stupid

Trigger Morris I think might be second in the list as there is some intriguing action I read but we will see
    Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Carte Blanche.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    For me, Pussy never went out of fashion. ;) :D

Blimey, can he say that here?....can he?.....yes, apparently he can.

In which case I quite agree. >:)
  • Walecs wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Carte Blanche.

You were one of two!

Antony Horowitz is being interviewed on " Front Row" BBC radio four Now !
    Although it should be available on the BBC radio player. ;)
    Antony Horowitz is being interviewed on " Front Row" BBC radio four Now !
    Although it should be available on the BBC radio player. ;)

Thanks! Listening now! :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2015 Posts: 5,921
    I highly rate the first six or so Gardner novels.

It's been decades since I read them, but I agree. Isn't the sixth book the operation Cream Cake one? The falloff after that one is pretty large.
    Agreed, the quality does fall, infact I was really bored reading
    Death is Forever. If I remember correctly there's a briefing that
    must go on for at least three chapters. ;)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,594
    Well, the day has finally arrived! Will we get the SPECTRE song announcement today too? Sam Smith and Ellie Goulding?

I think the majority of Mi6 users haven't read Gardner's 007 books or at the very least, one or two. The first half are wonderful but many here just don't seem to like them or the one or two they have read, for some reason... :) I enjoy all of Gardner's Bond books but the last half of them certainly aren't up there with the first half.

I'm hoping Trigger will outrank Colonel Sun. CS is okay but it just doesn't tickle my fancy the way it does with many other Bond fans. I prefer Gardner's early novels to CS.

Nice:

http://www.thebookbond.com/2015/09/anthony-horowitz-arrives-in-bonds.html#comment-form

Damn, it's just so absurd to imagine a spy cruising around London in this car. LOL. Gotta love the world of Bond!

I need to transfer money from my account in Shanghai to my account in my home country before I can even use my visa card to buy this book otherwise I'll start incurring interest. It's obviously wise to pay off your c/c card as soon as you have used it. I haven't been able to get a Chinese credit card.

• Well the moment has finally arrived and a great night was had by all at last night's launch - Waterstone's did a great job hosting it.
    The store looked amazing with a fabulous window display aithough the event that was supposed to transport us all back to the '50s was a little complicated and difficult to move people through. Probably something best visited during the week at a quite time of day.
    After arriving in a fabulous Bentley, Anthony read a short passage and then there was a great Q&A mediated by the delictible Mishal Hussain. A lady who was very knowledgable about Horowitz's work and whom had actually read the book - something of a rarity at these events!
    Here are a sample:
    I asked; " Why didn't Stirling Moss make it into the book?" Anthony's response was that he didn't feel that he wanted to deal with real characters and that historically Fleming hadn't either. An elegant answer but not completely convincing as it was Fleming himself who had incorporated Moss into 'Murder On Wheels'. Personally I think they have missed a huge PR opportunity by not carrying through with Moss. How could having the greatest driver that ever was promoting your book be a bad thing?
    Hussain asked if he would do another and happily the answer was; "If asked by the estate - yes". He claimed that he'd
  • Well the moment has finally arrived and a great night was had by all at last night's launch -I went along with the great Villieurs53 and his good friend Bentley and we had a fine time. Waterstone's did a great job hosting it.
    The store looked amazing with a fabulous window display although the event that was supposed to transport us all back to the '50s was a little complicated and difficult to move people through. Probably something best visited during the week at a quite time of day.
    After arriving in a fabulous Bentley, Anthony read a short passage and then there was a great Q&A mediated by the delectable Mishal Hussain. A lady who was very knowledgable about Horowitz's work and whom had actually read the book - something of a rarity at these events!
    Here are a sample:
    I asked; " Why didn't Stirling Moss make it into the book?" Anthony's response was that he didn't feel that he wanted to deal with real characters and that historically Fleming hadn't either. An elegant answer but not completely convincing as it was Fleming himself who had incorporated Moss into 'Murder On Wheels'. Personally I think they have missed a huge PR opportunity by not carrying through with Moss. How could having the greatest driver that ever was promoting your book be a bad thing?
    Hussain asked if he would do another and happily the answer was; "If asked by the estate - yes". He claimed that he'd had more fun doing this that just about anything else he'd written.
    Other questions involved his decision to have a female racing driving instructor, the importance of first sentences in Bond books, his predecessors and the hoary old political correctness issue.
    As for the book itself? It's early days and I'll report back with a full, spoiler free review, but, so fare, WOW!
    Villieurs53 behaved himself throughout but when I looked at the dedication he had Anthony put in his signed copy it read; " For .... Pussy Galore's most ardent fan".
    What can I say, you can't keep a good man down!
    @TriggerMortis

Thanks for that! So, he's keen then. Let's see how sales go and then what the Fleming estate do.

Hussain was there? I always like seeing her on BBC World. :)

How does your last sentence end? "He claimed that he'd..."
    "Writings on the wall". The next Bond song by Sam Smith. So glad this news is finally out of the way! :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Bounine wrote: »
    @TriggerMortis

Thanks for that! So, he's keen then. Let's see how sales go and then what the Fleming estate do.

Hussain was there? I always like seeing her on BBC World. :)

How does your last sentence end? "He claimed that he'd..."

i wish the estate would let a writer continue on with at least a 2nd book - i hate this new writer every book / jump rope timeline we are getting... pick a time (past or present) and stay there.. i would love to see some consistency again with the stories..

i can't remember if Faulkes or Boyd ever said they'd come back to do another book - but i know Deaver said he'd be all for it... which i wouldn't mind - i enjoyed Carte Blanche.. glad to see it's getting a little more love around here lol.
    In terms of CB, I thought the story was quite enjoyable but I would hate to see Deaver return because he changed the character into someone who was barely recognisable. Deaver's Bond is not Bond! Gardner was an author who updated the character for the 1980's with success.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I can't wait to read this. Unfortunately I won't be getting my copy from Amazon until tomorrow.
    I got a copy of the first edition of Trigger Mortis in Tesco today - £9.00 offer price. After that I had a look in Waterstones and they just had a table with the paperback - no sign of the hardback at all!
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator

I asked; " Why didn't Stirling Moss make it into the book?" Anthony's response was that he didn't feel that he wanted to deal with real characters and that historically Fleming hadn't either.

Thought that might have been you.
    Got my email that it is shipping now! 140 pages of Goldfiner to go and I'll be ready!
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Looking at the waterstones website they seem to have a black cover version of the book with extra material. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Still, if it's £9 in tescos I'll go ahead and buy that one. I'll pop around tonight.
  • Chevron wrote: »
    Looking at the waterstones website they seem to have a black cover version of the book with extra material. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Still, if it's £9 in tescos I'll go ahead and buy that one. I'll pop around tonight.

Black is their special edition. If you are a collector this could be the one for you as it includes exclusive Fleming material.
    If not ....£9 sounds like a deal but beware their dodgy accounting practices!