Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SJK91 wrote: »
    Tom Hardy is too short to be James Bond.

Didn't we say that of Daniel Craig as well :-)?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Tom Hardy is too short to be James Bond.

Your sir are obviously a heightist! ;)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hardy could be ok, and may in fact be a front runner as he can carry on Craig's McQueenish tough guy legacy, but I'd personally prefer someone with a little more refinement next time around, just to mix it up a bit.

Cavill is done. I don't see him being Bond.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd like Tom Hiddleston as Bond. He'd really mix it up and would get him out of villain typcasting. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd like Tom Hiddleston as Bond. He'd really mix it up and would get him out of villain typcasting. ;)

100% agree. Refinement and definite acting chops, with edge.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    He

He seems to have such a childish face to me though. Dunno, could be just me.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that that ginger from homeland was the betting favorite?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Sark wrote: »
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that that ginger from homeland was the betting favorite?

He apparently is still tied for best odds.

Idris Elba and Damian Lewis = 3/1
    Tom Hardy and Henry Cavill = 4/1

I don't see it being any of these four people.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Haha none of them have a chance. =))
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Can we bet against these clowns or only for them? We could all be making a killing.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    I still think Charlie Hunnam (35). He is the natural successor in my opinion. I think he would give the current time line some continuity. He's English, has a good look. Has that underlying psycho thing Craig has. If I was a casting director he is who I think I would be going for. I don't want another complete reboot. Each time you do that you water down the brand. Look at Spiderman its becoming ridiculous, I think continuity is key going forward.

2hcq9ed.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I like Hunnam but my problem with him is his accent is all over the place. It's terrible. His natural voice just sounds so messed up now. He's a northerner but now naturally sounds like a South African with a coke habit.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,756
    Whoever the successor is, I hope we keep the Steve McQueen Bond style. Or something similar to Eastwood's Dollar trilogy character.
    Haha none of them have a chance. =))

I don't see how Cavill can be written off. As others have said EON have a habit of going back to get their man.

I'm not saying its what I want. Just that you can't say for sure. I agree Lewis and Elba are highly unlike though.

I don't think EON would necessarily see Cavill's perceived failures as batman and Solo as necessarily an issue either. They know Bond is big enough to make a real star of almost anyone.

There is no way Craig would ever have achieved this kind of success without Bond.

Cavill could become huge as Bond.
  • Well to these guys:
    All I can say is NO. Henry Cavill would have been great I think but he won't get the role. And the others do definitely not fit! If one of them gets the role I'll stop watching Bond. Ok, not realistic ;) but anyway that's not gonna happen so...
    I'm asking myself who will get the role because I have not found one guy who could be Bond imo. All these ideas how Bond (or the actor who plays him) should be make it very difficult to find someone...
    Well to these guys:
    All I can say is NO. Henry Cavill would have been great I think but he won't get the role. And the others do definitely not fit! If one of them gets the role I'll stop watching Bond. Ok, not realistic ;) but anyway that's not gonna happen so...
    I'm asking myself who will get the role because I have not found one guy who could be Bond imo. All these ideas how Bond (or the actor who plays him) should be make it very difficult to find someone...

One problem with Cavill is he Can't act, wooden and out of his depth on Superman. The days of hiring an actor to be bond based upon looks are gone. We need a fine actor.
    Well to these guys:

One problem with Cavill is he Can't act, wooden and out of his depth on Superman. The days of hiring an actor to be bond based upon looks are gone. We need a fine actor.

I would like to believe that you're right, but I also think it's entirely possible that EON will feel after Craig that it's time to do things differently and go back to more of a Brosnan approach.

They are masters at changing tack when required. And it's naive to think that just carrying on with the Craig approach indefinitely is going to continue to excite audiences.

By 2018 the prospect of a lightweight OTT Bond movie with Cavill might be just what the popcorn munchers are looking for.
  • The days of hiring an actor to be bond based upon looks are gone. We need a fine actor.
    Yes that's right! But we need a fine actor with good looks! ;)
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    I would like to believe that you're right, but I also think it's entirely possible that EON will feel after Craig that it's time to do things differently and go back to more of a Brosnan approach.

By 2018 the prospect of a lightweight OTT Bond movie with Cavill might be just what the popcorn munchers are looking for.

I have a feeling you could be right, and a lighter approach, rather than a more gritty one, is on its way post-Craig. Having said that, I think EON have learnt from past mistakes, and will cast an actor who can convincingly and consistently portray James Bond's key attributes on screen, even if he does not follow the Craig mould.
    The days of hiring an actor to be bond based upon looks are gone. We need a fine actor.

I would prefer this myself, but if I was forced to choose between the two, I'd rather an actor with the skills for the job rather than a matinee idol.
    The days of hiring an actor to be bond based upon looks are gone. We need a fine actor.

4 options in my eyes
    1. Continuation hire an actor on same timeline for continuity
    2. Hire a black actor and go full reboot for something different Problem so much has been made of Idris thing that it would be a positive discrimination move, and just doing it for the sake of doing it.
    3. A retro Reboot take Bond back to 50's / 60's readapting Flemings novels (some more to the word of the book than the changes made in the earlier films) Problem would upset a lot of fans, never a good idea to rework classics.
    4. Modern Reboot, Younger actor, new time line again tell the story from the start again (Problem this will follow on straight after from Mendes telling the origin story)

That's why I said earlier continuity and attempt at seamless change over seems the less risky.

4 options in my eyes
    2. Hire a black actor and go full reboot for something different Problem so much has been made of Idris thing that it would be a positive discrimination move, and just doing it for the sake of doing it.
    3. A retro Reboot take Bond back to 50's / 60's readapting Flemings novels (some more to the word of the book than the changes made in the earlier films) Problem would upset a lot of fans, never a good idea to rework classics.
    4. Modern Reboot, Younger actor, new time line again tell the story from the start again (Problem this will follow on straight after from Mendes telling the origin story)

That's why I said earlier continuity and attempt at seamless change over seems the less risky.

I think 1. is most likely, but with an actor who is more in keeping with the traditional cinematic view of Bond, James Bond. Meaning, likely tall, dark and with more of a refined air.

Craig was out of the box thinking and casting in order to tell the origin story convincingly.

The next actor most likely will be asked to continue the timeline but will need to dominate the screen without having the benefit of all the angst arc that Craig has had. Very difficult job to do. We are basically calling for the next Connery.

Ironically, Elba is the best suited for it, but unfortunately, he is too old, and his skin colour will not be sellable globally as Bond (imho) to the level required to hit the box office numbers they likely want.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »

4 options in my eyes

I think 1. is most likely, but with an actor who is more in keeping with the traditional cinematic view of Bond, James Bond. Meaning, likely tall, dark and with more of a refined air.

Craig was out of the box thinking and casting in order to tell the origin story convincingly.

The next actor most likely will be asked to continue the timeline but will need to dominate the screen without having the benefit of all the angst arc that Craig has had. Very difficult job to do. We are basically calling for the next Connery.

Ironically, Elba is the best suited for it, but unfortunately, he is too old, and his skin colour will not be sellable globally as Bond (imho) to the level required to hit the box office numbers they likely want.

next Connery - Emun Elliot still only 32. Was in Prometheus and Exodus: Gods and Kings - he is half Scottish/half Swiss (Remind you of someone?)

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

4 options in my eyes

next Connery - Emun Elliot still only 32. Was in Prometheus and Exodus: Gods and Kings - he is half Scottish/half Swiss (Remind you of someone?)

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

Best casting choice in this entire thread.

Looks great, is a very good actor and he'll be 32 in November but has that mature look to him that Connery had when he was 32.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425

4 options in my eyes

There is a lot of fun to be had with changing Bond's race. If handled properly (without kid gloves) it could be really entertaining. There is a lot of fun to be had with playing on stereotypes of Britishness etc. Obviously the novelty factor would wear off after a couple of films.

I think Film Bond is there to be played around with a bit (a lot?). I'd rather have ten years of a black Bond shaking things up than a return to the safety and boredom of the Brosnan era. There was a time when the idea of casting an Irishman as Bond would have been as shocking/unacceptable to some viewers as casting a black actor. We thankfully moved beyond the first prejudice and doubtless there will come a time when EON feel ready to cast a black Bond as well.

The only context in which I wouldn't want a black Bond would be if they ever started doing period Bond movies - then it would seem anachronistic and out of place.

For those who say Bond needs to be set in the present day and kept contemporary, I say look at the ranks of today's MI6, who have been actively recruiting non-white staff since 2001, when they realised they needed people of varied and different backgrounds to understand and challenge new global threats. It is entirely feasible that Bond today would be black.
  • SirGodfreySirGodfrey France
    @SirHilaryBray I think this is an excellent choice !
    doubleoego wrote: »

4 options in my eyes

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

Looks great, is a very good actor and he'll be 32 in November but has that mature look to him that Connery had when he was 32.

A look like he had a tough paper round growing up :P

4 options in my eyes

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

A look like he had a tough paper round growing up :P

A curiously withered and yet youthful look. He could work, but I know nothing about him.

@Getafix, I'm not all that against a black Bond (well maybe a little) but I don't think it will be sellable globally, even if it is in the UK and/or US. Other nationalities and nations have their points of view, and they are increasingly getting more box office clout. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know - I suspect it's bad.

Where I think a black Bond could encounter issues in the UK/US is if he was portrayed with a little more machismo (something I would like), particularly towards women. That may hit a nerve with some even in the Western markets, subconsciously, due to ill founded stereotypes. So if they ever go black, he may sadly have to be a more watered down and PC character.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

4 options in my eyes

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

I want a Brosnan/Connery approach and I also support this guy. I haven't seen him act but looks wise seems like the perfect choice especially In the first Picture

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico

4 options in my eyes

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

I want a Brosnan/Connery approach and I also support this guy. I haven't seen him act but looks wise seems like the perfect choice especially In the first Picture

Szonana wrote: »

4 options in my eyes

2dtdao5.jpg

nx9f6c.jpg

I found their approaches quite different to be honest, so I'm not quite sure which your preference is. They were both reasonably tall and had black hair, but from my point of view, the similarities sort of ended there.

I've always felt that Lazenby, Dalton, and even Craig have more similarities with Connery than Brosnan did.