SS-GB (BBC TV series 2017) From the team behind SKYFALL

DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
edited March 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 805
Not sure if anyone's already mentioned this but just came across an article on TV Wise website about new BBC shows for 2015 and saw this ...

SS-GB

Based on the novel by Len Deighton, SS-GB is an alternate take on history set in the 1940s after the Germans won the Battle Of Britain, with London now under Nazi occupation. It follows Scotland Yard detective Archer who must decide whether to join the resistance movement or effectively collaborate with the SS.

The adaptation has received an order for five episodes and is being penned by Skyfall scribes Robert Wade and Neal Purvis, who described SS-GB as “a brilliant tale of espionage that dares to think the unthinkable”. Sid Gentle Films is producing, with Lucy Richer, Sally Woodward Gentle and Lee Morris serving as executive producer.

Interesting. Anyone on here read the book?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have but it was years ago. I do remember the ending but I won't
    Give that away. Britain under Nazi rule was a fantastic idea.
    I looked into this when the series was first announced a few months ago. Looks interesting - I haven't read the book, but have been tempted.

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-GB
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Always loved that type of 'what if' story. Reminds me a bit of The Man In The High Castle by Philip K Dick. May have to check it out. Has there been any casting news?
    Nothing on IMDb, and looking on the Google news search, nothing much since the November announcement.
    Is their a release date?
  • This is excellent news!
    For those of you that haven't read the book, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    It is a great alternative history thriller that paints a chilling picture of what it would have been like if GB had lost the battle of Britain. Furthermore, it is the book in Deighton's canon that merges his skills as a historical and espionage writer.
    Blistering stuff and I understand that Sam Riley (Control) is in talks over the lead. He is a great actor who would also make a superb Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    1407347154730_wps_14_FILM_BRIGHTON_ROCK_2011_S.jpg
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 5,772
    It_Happened_Here.png

Similar theme. And, frankly, quite chilling. Thank Heavens for Winston.
    Amazon prime also have the man in the high castle, about America
    under Nazi rule.
    Gerard wrote: »
    It_Happened_Here.png

Similar theme. And, frankly, quite chilling. Thank Heavens for Winston.

You beat me to it, that is what I first thought of, well before SS-GB, which honestly didn't grab me. The book about making IT HAPPENED is one of the most inspiring tomes an aspiring filmmaker can read.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    1407347154730_wps_14_FILM_BRIGHTON_ROCK_2011_S.jpg

Great visual.
    I hope he gets the Archer role in SS:GB and doesn't he just ooze Fleming's Bond?

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I really hope that this comes to fruition.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I thought I would give this thread a bump, seeing as we are now four episodes with the last one coming up this Sunday.

I am really enjoying it. A slow burn detective serial with multiple threads and characters whose allegiance isn't always clear.

The only real issue I have is that it is clearly done on a budget, hence the focus on a slower pace and lots of discussion in rooms. You don't see that much of London under occupation, save for the very first scene in the series when the spitfire flies over London (very reminiscent of Skyfall I thought).

The cast is quite good, as is the music and general production values. Its a shame it will all be over after 5 episodes, but for what it is, its quite good.

And I do like the title sequence as well.
    Mallory wrote: »
    I thought I would give this thread a bump, seeing as we are now four episodes with the last one coming up this Sunday.

I am really enjoying it. A slow burn detective serial with multiple threads and characters whose allegiance isn't always clear.

The only real issue I have is that it is clearly done on a budget, hence the focus on a slower pace and lots of discussion in rooms. You don't see that much of London under occupation, save for the very first scene in the series when the spitfire flies over London (very reminiscent of Skyfall I thought).

The cast is quite good, as is the music and general production values. Its a shame it will all be over after 5 episodes, but for what it is, its quite good.

And I do like the title sequence as well.

Episode 3 in the London Underground and knowing Purvis and Wade are behind it gave me a bit of a Skyfall reminiscence. It's been okay without being great. Little tension in it.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm enjoying it very much. I can also see a hat purchase in my near future.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Watched the first 2 episodes last night and enjoyed it, nothing earth shattering but entertaining and it looks quite stylish.

Was expecting loads of problems as many of my fellow country persons have moaned about not being able to understand the dialogue as the sound was so bad but I'm not sure was their problem it sounds fine to me.
    I remember reading the book, years ago, and I'm really enjoying this adaptation.