The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Szonana wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

If @Szonana has some sort of mental disibility then I apologise but I don't believe that to be the case.

Whilst rudeness in and of itself is not against forum policy, your condescending attitude and ad hominem arguments do nothing to make you popular amongst the members of this community, the moderators, or the administration.

I'm sure you'll counter this with how you're entitled to your opinion and that you're not here to win a popularity contest, but I personally don't care. Try to be less rude.

Ok i guess we got too much into the heat of this topic taking it too far, we why just don't try to forget about it. Really to get along better and i think this was just a mistep we took way too far
    i think so i apologize if i made some asumtions look like facts.

Everything was going right till i started my insistence on Cavill.also i apologize if i finished with your patience.
    Cavill is becoming a hot topic and i guess you are all right that there are no chances left. Now So im just gonna say that id like someone in his style for the next Bond actor.

Craig still has two more films in his contract many actors will come after that so here is still plenty of time to find someone and we will forget some of us insisted on Henry Cavill.

Ive seen many of my posts and i didn't have problems with anyone till this came up.

We started this with the left foot and i take my part of blame for it

I didn't want to be condescending or anything similar

I don't think you're the one @Doubleonothing is aiming at here. Though some people may not like the way you promote Cavill, there's nothing wrong with that, so don't worry. @GustavGraves can be upsettingly positive, but that's also not condescending towards anyone. Just not everybody's cup of tea.

Don't worry. I know people get irritated by me sometimes. Ehh, many times. "Upsettingly positive" describes it very well...
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

If @Szonana has some sort of mental disibility then I apologise but I don't believe that to be the case.

Whilst rudeness in and of itself is not against forum policy, your condescending attitude and ad hominem arguments do nothing to make you popular amongst the members of this community, the moderators, or the administration.

I'm sure you'll counter this with how you're entitled to your opinion and that you're not here to win a popularity contest, but I personally don't care. Try to be less rude.

Ok i guess we got too much into the heat of this topic taking it too far, we why just don't try to forget about it. Really to get along better and i think this was just a mistep we took way too far

Everything was going right till i started my insistence on Cavill.also i apologize if i finished with your patience.
    Cavill is becoming a hot topic and i guess you are all right that there are no chances left. Now So im just gonna say that id like someone in his style for the next Bond actor.

Craig still has two more films in his contract many actors will come after that so here is still plenty of time to find someone and we will forget some of us insisted on Henry Cavill.

Ive seen many of my posts and i didn't have problems with anyone till this came up.

I don't think you're the one @Doubleonothing is aiming at here. Though some people may not like the way you promote Cavill, there's nothing wrong with that, so don't worry. @GustavGraves can be upsettingly positive, but that's also not condescending towards anyone. Just not everybody's cup of tea.

Don't worry. I know people get irritated by me sometimes. Ehh, many times. "Upsettingly positive" describes it very well...

Who knows but still I think that maybe I came off too many assumptions or too stuburon so still I feel like maybe I took things too far

Who knows but still I think that maybe I came off too many assumptions or too stuburon so still I feel like maybe I took things too far

I can only this @Szonana: This is a forum. We don't see each other. People would react so differently to one another if we saw each other....via Skype or Facebook. I don't have many Bond-fans as friends, so it's one of the reasons I once started this topic:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10087/care-to-discuss-via-facebook-or-skype#latest

But not many seem to be interested in that :-).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Gustav_Graves

I'll go to the original thread and give my answer.
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 591
    Just saw it in cinemas today. Loved it. Non-stop fun with good acting and humorous sequences. I think one of my favourite aspects was Alicia Vikander as Gaby, who was absolutely wonderful. Loved her little dance scene. The soundtrack was perfect and I'll definitely be getting my hands on it :)

Definitely have to put in how both female roles in the film were pulled off. None of them felt like they'd been poorly written and respect Ritchie for that greatly. If this was done in the 60's both those roles would have been done very differently and am glad this film managed to do and do well the idea of a badass female main villain. Really hope they do a sequel.

I noticed a nice little nod to Thunderball in there (at least I think it was).
    One of the minor characters being called Count Lippe
    Just saw it in cinemas today. Loved it. Non-stop fun with good acting and humorous sequences. I think one of my favourite aspects was Alicia Vikander as Gaby, who was absolutely wonderful. Loved her little dance scene. The soundtrack was perfect and I'll definitely be getting my hands on it :)

Definitely have to put in how both female roles in the film were pulled off. None of them felt like they'd been poorly written and respect Ritchie for that greatly. If this was done in the 60's both those roles would have been done very differently and am glad this film managed to do and do well the idea of a badass female main villain. Really hope they do a sequel.

I noticed a nice little nod to Thunderball in there (at least I think it was).
    One of the minor characters being called Count Lippe

One other "Thunderball" reference. Solo's hotel suit in Rome has got nr. 304. Same number as James Bond got for his hotelroom in "Thunderball" ;-)
    bondsum wrote: »
    One thing I'm not sure about and I'm willing to be corrected on is the invention of the caged four-wheeled ATVs used in this movie. As far as I know they weren't seen or invented until Suzuki produced one in 1984. In other words, Guy Richie was really taking liberties with 1963 technology in this movie. Of course there were Beach Buggies in the 60's but they were made of fiberglass and were neither robust or looked anything like the ATVs used in UNCLE. Just saying.
    I'm not entirely sure, but they looked like the private tinkering experiment of a rich person. Then the military came and confiscated his stuff. Which means they keep new stuff under wraps for 20 years, and then let part of the idea slip to some industrial company. Common practice;-).

If the previews are any indication, the chemistry between Solo and his Russian partner is zero.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico

I can only this @Szonana: This is a forum. We don't see each other. People would react so differently to one another if we saw each other....via Skype or Facebook. I don't have many Bond-fans as friends, so it's one of the reasons I once started this topic:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10087/care-to-discuss-via-facebook-or-skype#latest

I guess you are right, people sometimes react differently when they talk in person.
    Forums make us react differently and maybe we feel more freed being kind of anonymus.
    But still i always try to be as nice and respectful as i can including forums but sometimes writen messages can get misunderstood.

Here's a very nice review:

http://www.maxallancollins.com/blog/2015/08/18/cry-u-n-c-l-e/
    Cry U.N.C.L.E.

I was a junior and then senior in high school in 1964, when Beatlemania hit, and I was as caught up in it as anybody. The recent anniversary of their Shea Stadium concert got a lot of nostalgic talk going, particularly on oldies radio. (Not that someone as hip and culturally relevant as me listens to such a thing.) What hardly anybody discusses, though, is where the concurrent spy craze fit in.
    August 18th, 2015 by Max Allan Collins
    Of course, James Bond – his anti-Beatles remark in the otherwise great GOLDFINGER a rare tin-ear moment from the filmmakers – was a big part of the British invasion. The success of the first few Bond films meant imitations were inevitable, and lots of spy stuff hit the screens, some of it more straight like THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD and THE IPCRESS FILE, but a lot of it crapola like the Dean Martin “Matt Helm” abominations.

A ton of the imitations came out of Europe, particularly Italy, and those mostly terrible movies – for which I have an inexplicable fondness – are now lumped together as the Euro-Spy genre. The two OSS 117 parodies of recent years were takes on Bond, yes, but also on the straight OSS 117 movies from the ‘60s based on a long-running novel series that actually pre-dated James Bond. Some of these are among the best Bond imitations – SHADOW OF EVIL, MISSION FOR A KILLER, PANIC IN BANGKOK. (These are either unavailable in the USA or available only gray-market and/or pan-and-scan form. Check out Amazon France for better copies, most of which have English subtitles.)

But in Iowa in 1964, only the really mainstream spy movies made it here (again, the Dean Martin junk, and the very good Harry Palmers with Michael Caine) and that was true for a lot of the country. Buffs for this stuff wouldn’t see the Euro-spy movies until they hit TV a decade or two later in butchered, horrendously dubbed format, or in the last few years as DVDs and Blu-rays, often with wide-screen images intact and English subtitles. I particularly like the Joe Walker/KOMMISAR X series from Italy, but there’s no excuse for it.

Meanwhile, back in ‘64, television stepped in to feed a spy craze that couldn’t breathe on one Bond film a year and occasional double-feature double-oh-seven re-releases. So a number of spy series hit the small screen, most prominently THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (co-created by Ian Fleming, a fairly little known fact) and I SPY. I’ve revisited both series in the last several years, and neither holds up very well. Of course, I SPY is now on the pop-cultural scrap heap, thanks to Bill Cosby’s little hobby.

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. was always spotty. A few years ago, working my way through the show in a spy’s briefcase, I knew I was in trouble when late in the first season – generally considered to be the best – an episode written by the great Robert Towne blew chunks. But at the time, the show was a very big deal. The first episode was expanded, shown in color (the pilot had been shot that way but the first season was otherwise in black-and-white, and the pilot aired that way), and some new violent, sexy scenes were inserted. Also a big scene with David McCullum, who was a non-entity in the pilot but had Spock-like popularity with viewers that got him the second lead, very quickly. This cunning patchwork was titled TO TRAP A SPY and was released theatrically to some success. There were seven more of these recycled MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. movies, mostly utilizing TV two-parters, although only the first two did well, and several went overseas with no stateside theatrical release. They are available as a set on DVD from Warner Archive.

Though Bond was obviously immune, the spy craze died quickly, particularly on TV. THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., in its third season, went campy, following the lead of the new craze, the Adam West/Burt Ward BATMAN. Everybody hated this version of U.N.C.L.E., and the next half-season (they were cancelled midway) went back to more straight fare, too late. I SPY lasted three seasons. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, thanks to great music and a cool premise, out-lived every other espionage show of the era.

What most Baby Boomers remember about THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (and U.N.C.L.E. was not Uncle Sam, but an organization that seemed vaguely tied to the U.N. for worldwide law-enforcement) (no, I won’t spell out the acronym) are Robert Vaughn as Napoleon Solo (a name Fleming contributed) and David McCallum as Illya Kuryakin. The latter with his Beatle-esque haircut and understated Russian accent was a big pop-cultural deal. Vaughn, smooth and unruffled and impeccably attired, was arguably the best secret agent of the craze but for Bond himself.

So you’re waiting for me to slam the new movie, I suppose. Well, I’m not going to because it’s terrific. Director-co-writer Guy Ritchie has made a sly, darkly funny film that invokes not just the series but Bond and the entire spy craze era, with the look of the film drawing heavily upon the Harry Palmer trio. The twisty script is sexy and clever and occasionally scary. The music is witty and mixes zither exoticism out of FUNERAL IN BERLIN with Ennio Morricone cues, during which the direction takes an overtly Serio Leone take. The leads are fine, Armie Hammer redeeming his LONE RANGER travesty with a Kuryakin reworked into a volatile near psychotic, while Henry Clavill channels Robert Vaughn. It was this near impression – revealing the actor had really studied the series – that won me over early on. Clavill has Vaughn’s cadence and cool, as well as the dimple in his chin.

It’s an origin story, and U.N.C.L.E. itself is barely introduced at the end, though charmingly so, Hugh Grant nailing the spy agency’s boss, Alexander Waverly (the great Leo G. Carroll on the TV series). It sets up a series of films that probably won’t happen. Unfortunately.

Something this smart and witty may not work on the current generation, who won’t get the references and will wonder why every scene isn’t an action one, like the latest video game or the new MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. Now I liked the Tom Cruise film, found it great fun, but it’s just one Cruise action set piece after another linked by clumsy expository scenes and winning comedy relief from Simon Pegg. THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. won’t be everybody’s cup of spy, but it’s my favorite film of the summer.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    If the previews are any indication, the chemistry between Solo and his Russian partner is zero.
    Then I wouldn't trust the previews a bit if I were you.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I guess you are right, people sometimes react differently when they talk in person.
    Forums make us react differently and maybe we feel more freed being kind of anonymus.
    But still i always try to be as nice and respectful as i can including forums but sometimes writen messages can get misunderstood.

@Gustav, you don't have to excuse yourself for beeing who you are. As long as you're friendly to others, you're free to state any opniion about Bond or other films as you please, and others are free to think differently, or find you overly positive. But that's fine, nobody has to read your posts if they don't want to, this place isn't a popuarity contest, as many long-standing members can attest to.
    @Szonana, for you as well. Things may not always come over as you intended, but please, don't let that stop you, just enjoy the forums!
  • If people had the exact same opinions, it'd be so boring. They'd be no discussion.

Just a question for you...and everyone else. Did anyone in here actually.....SEE the old TV-Series? I mean the wonderful charisma -or 'lack of charisma' that some people think is the cae- that Kuryakin and Solo had, reminded me a lot of the old TV-Series.

• CrabKey wrote: »

Just a question for you...and everyone else. Did anyone in here actually.....SEE the old TV-Series? I mean the wonderful charisma -or 'lack of charisma' that some people think is the cae- that Kuryakin and Solo had, reminded me a lot of the old TV-Series.

I haven't watched the TV series but I watched all the extended episode films and feel they pulled off the chemistry perfectly especially considering they're doing an origin story about how they met.

I haven't watched the TV series but I watched all the extended episode films and feel they pulled off the chemistry perfectly especially considering they're doing an origin story about how they met.

Exactly. Isn't there supposed to be some believable lack of chemistry at the start, BECAUSE they are constantly 'fighting' each other and aren't buddies just yet ;-)? Well, even in those circumstances I found them charismatic...
    Has anybody mentioned the Will Smith WILD WILD WEST movie in connection with this yet? Because all of this origins stuff really makes me flash back on having to see that thing (on account of my then-job) and how annoyed I was that they felt the need to set all this up with endless backstory instead of just delivering a an exciting romp.

TWWW series (they had to leave THE out of the title for the movie, why, were they going to be in competition with FIGHT CLUB?) was hit&miss, but the ones I liked best decades back STILL play just fine, like the search for President Grant's horse with Frank Silvera as a Mexican bandit, and the Pernell Roberts one with all the dynamite and that great piece of music they use throughout it, which I've been humming while driving off&on since 1978. And the sci-fi ones, like Loveless making paintings that you could enter and live in, were pretty innovative too.

I haven't been in a movie theater in a year or so, and except for one of his movies from 10 years back that had Mark Strong kill some people in an impressive way near the end I haven't gotten all the way through ANY Ritichie movie, but I may just see UNCLE this week because I'm really intrigued to see just how unsuccessful it is. I've been trying to watch old UNCLEs on TV a lot in the last year or so, and haven't made it through a whole episode, though when I was 5 I loved it (even had a jigsaw puzzle of it, I think Solo down in the sewer), probably because I looked a LOT like Vaughan as a kid (could kill with my then-chin.) But except for the charm of guest stars like George Sanders and Victor Buono, haven't had a lot of joy revisting it, so makes me wonder just what to expect with the movie (though the one music cue I've heard sounds really good.)
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2015 Posts: 10,512
    trevanian wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned the Will Smith WILD WILD WEST movie in connection with this yet? Because all of this origins stuff really makes me flash back on having to see that thing (on account of my then-job) and how annoyed I was that they felt the need to set all this up with endless backstory instead of just delivering a an exciting romp.

I can't comment specifically on UNCLE, as I've yet to see it, but you touch on a really good point that is symptomatic of modern Hollywood. They're obsessed with 'origin'. I get the impression FF tries a similar thing and to an extent Mendes has mentioned the word 'origin' in relation to SPECTRE. Origin doesn't equal 'character' and I actually find it tedious having to map out and specify why and how a character becomes the person they do. There are cleverer ways to deliver exposition than merely charting it chronologically. I can see the Han 'Solo' (no pun intended) film falling into a similar trap.
    RC7, that is what mired the SW prequels too ... getting to see Vader go from lil kid to bratty apprentice to Lava guy is just ticking off boxes to me, not of any real interest. The Abrams trek did something similar to Kirk, turning the Kobayashi Maru test mentioned in 1982's WRATH OF KHAN and exploiting it in the wrong direction to give this alt-universe's Kirk some kind of forced Campbellian Hero's journey arc. (one of the big probs with AbramsTrek is the guy didn't understand or care about TREK having creating its own unique hero mythology based on the triad of main characters, and instead trying to shoehorn the thing into a more traditional mythology.)

Fleming knew how to just tease about this stuff, like the FROM A VIEW TO A KILL recollection of Bond losing his pocketbook and virginity simultaneously. But you don't get pedantic about it.

As much as I'd like to blame producers for dumbing down scripts and having them rewritten into too-easily-digestible mush, it is really the paying audience that keeps this stuff alive & flourishing, because it seems way too often (probably since the 89 BATMAN) that the masses are easy marks for a certain size and style of marketing campaign, regardless of the quality of the blockbuster.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7, that is what mired the SW prequels too ... getting to see Vader go from lil kid to bratty apprentice to Lava guy is just ticking off boxes to me, not of any real interest.

Couldn't agree more. The finale in EP:III exemplifies it - The Anakin/Obi-Wan fight was the stuff of Legend. Something that gestated in the minds of millions of fans over several decades. You cannot possibly visualise a sequence that betters that of the collective imagination, so why bother?

I never saw any of the old tv series. I found the film not at all lacking in charisma. It had a certain kind of flatness to it, which reminded me of tv series in general. That didn't bother me, because the film as such did work for me. In fact, I liked this one better than Richie's Holmes films.

boldfinger wrote: »

I never saw any of the old tv series. I found the film not at all lacking in charisma. It had a certain kind of flatness to it, which reminded me of tv series in general. That didn't bother me, because the film as such did work for me. In fact, I liked this one better than Richie's Holmes films.

I can tell you this @Boldfinger: I will buy this film on bluray, with a beautiful steelbook casing. I'm going to make a "2015 year of the spy" collection, and this one suits in there perfectly. I liked the film :-).
    You better leave out the steelbook, @Gustav, unless you want your films to rust on you. Get a decent blue plastic cover, and it'll last forever :D .

I haven't been in a movie theater in a year or so, and except for one of his movies from 10 years back that had Mark Strong kill some people in an impressive way near the end I haven't gotten all the way through ANY Ritichie movie, but I may just see UNCLE this week because I'm really intrigued to see just how unsuccessful it is.
    May I ask what exactly your definition of cinema and its purpose is?

RC7, that is what mired the SW prequels too ... getting to see Vader go from lil kid to bratty apprentice to Lava guy is just ticking off boxes to me, not of any real interest. The Abrams trek did something similar to Kirk, turning the Kobayashi Maru test mentioned in 1982's WRATH OF KHAN and exploiting it in the wrong direction to give this alt-universe's Kirk some kind of forced Campbellian Hero's journey arc. (one of the big probs with AbramsTrek is the guy didn't understand or care about TREK having creating its own unique hero mythology based on the triad of main characters, and instead trying to shoehorn the thing into a more traditional mythology.)

Fleming knew how to just tease about this stuff, like the FROM A VIEW TO A KILL recollection of Bond losing his pocketbook and virginity simultaneously. But you don't get pedantic about it.

As much as I'd like to blame producers for dumbing down scripts and having them rewritten into too-easily-digestible mush, it is really the paying audience that keeps this stuff alive & flourishing, because it seems way too often (probably since the 89 BATMAN) that the masses are easy marks for a certain size and style of marketing campaign, regardless of the quality of the blockbuster.
    I agree with the failures you mention above, @Trevanian, but for some reason I've been having visions of origin stories that work great. Dashiell Hammett wrote a number of stories where the reader over the course of the action slowly gets a bigger picture, until in the end he knows what it all was about. That is how origin stories should be. Milking well-known myths, e.g. the Kobayashi Maru Test, is as timid as again and again bringing back the AM to Bond - a gross display of lack of confidence.

I think UNBREAKABLE is an awesome origins story, but without acts 2 and 3 ever getting made (which in my mind is called SECURITYMAN VS MR GLASS), it kinda leaves you hanging, especially with that terrible tacked on title explaining what happened after, which was NOT in the screenplay.

I think BATMAN BEGINS was a great origins story too, considering you're retelling something that stretches credibility to begin with so you're going into battle with the arrow already partly inside your head.

Definition and purpose of cinema? That's kinda broad. What kind of cinema?
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I was shocked to find out Henry Cavill has had no formal acting training. He went from school straight into pro acting:
    Movie industry discovered Henry Cavill at 17, when the casting group for the 2002 film The Count of Monte Cristo, a screen adaptation of the classic by Alexander Dumas, came to Stowe. They visited to all the English boarding schools, because the role was the son of a count. “I got really lucky that a casting director went to Stowe and got me in The Count of Monte Cristo. I was in the right place at the right time. I happened to look right, had a bit of acting experience and the director liked me, so it was wham bam, thank you ma’am!” Henry recalls. He said farewell to his textbooks and left Stowe without completing A levels in history, English and theatre studies.

If anyone doesn't know - you're supposed to do a three years acting degree at a drama school. It is very expensive, though. Roger Moore went to the most famous acting school - RADA.

I know George Lazenby never did acting before OHMSS and I guess that fact was used against him but Cavill is no different in the sense he's never had any formal pro acting training. It's not the way actors are meant to be. You're supposed to learn your craft, not just get it by sheer luck cos a casting director goes to your school.

I'm amazed by this.

Is it any wonder some think Cavill is a wooden, poor actor? No surprise given his total lack of acting training!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Why are you amazed?

It's pretty common for many people who don't have any formal training or secured a degree in the craft to go on and establish careers in acting.
    Is it common? Daniel Craig did formal acting training.
    At the age of 16, Craig was admitted to the National Youth Theatre, so he left school and moved to London, where he worked part-time in restaurants to finance his training there.[10]
    [20] Later on, after multiple attempts at auditioning for drama schools, he was accepted to attend the Guildhall School of Music and Drama at the
    Barbican, where he graduated in 1991 after three years of study under Colin McCormack.

Three years training. Cavill has had zero years training. Most actors are supposed to train. With respect, i think you are wrong to assume actors just get roles without any training. It's very hard to secure employment on tv/in theatre and in films without recognized acting qualifications. Not impossible but very very hard. Casting directors/agents want people with acting degrees - it is a sign they have learned their craft.

I'm not saying a three year course is right or wrong - it sure is outrageously expensive! - but you're supposed to train to some level. Cavill has had none and I don't see why that should make him an automatic candidate for James Bond. And yes, I know Lazenby didn't have any formal training but that was then and this is now! I can't imagine Eon wanting to hire some guy with zero acting training so I have no idea why Cavill was second in the list behind Craig.

I dunno, I'd rather have the next Bond actor with some level of formal training. A few months, a six months course, some course to hone his craft. I don't think this is an unreasonable expectation. Anyway, it's no surprise Cavil is so wooden with some of his delivery. Some training wold have helped, Henry!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ideally, particularly when it comes to films, TV or characters we love, we want to be convinced by the actor's portrayal and being formally trained gives the actor an edge and legitimacy to get jobs but for many decades now, there are people with no formal training who do go on to act. The landscape and avenues of being an actor is far more dynamic and flexible than how it used to be. Did Sean Connery have any formal training?
    I don't think so. No mention of formal training on his Wikipedia page. Connery wouldn't have been able to afford to go to RADA or a similar school as he came from a poor background. Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig had formal training.

Cavill was cast in his first film role because he came from a rich boarding school, Stowe. The casting director came to his school (can't imagine he'd come to the local comp! :D ) and liked Cavill's look.

Fees per term - Stowe School
    Boarding £11,100

Not cheap! Had Cavill's family not been wealthy Cavill may not have become an actor. It would be harder to secure big roles without some financial help from family.

My point is as much to do with credibility as anything else. Sean Connery was a competent actor by the time he was cast as James Bond. Did Connery need years of training? No. But Cavill might have benefited from some. I feel his lack of training shows whereas Connery was the finished article by the time he played Bond in Dr. No.