Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Okay, I'm going to say it. This film looks like a perfect warmup to "SPECTRE".

So far "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" has a good RottenTomatoes-rating of 90% ("Ghost Protocol" settled at 93%. Perhaps the "Goldfinger" of the franchise?). The film has a slightly slower 3rd act as compared to "Ghost Protocol", but who cares :-D! Finally a film with real stunts and no 3D-glasses! Classic spy/action......that once started with agent 007:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_rogue_nation/

Ooowh, and since "M:I" is in cinema's this week, RottenTomatoes posted a nice feature about "The Most Destructive Movie Spies", to let us indulge in the spy craze a bit more :-P:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/gallery/24-most-destructive-spies/
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,081
    @Creasy47, he doesn't do it "solely" or even mainly for the fans, but for himself. That is to say he wants to push himself and wants the experience. Nothing wrong in that, just saying... :) The same with other actors who insist on doing stuff they are not required to do, basically pushing stunt men out of the way. Cruise might be more extreme (more crazy? more addicted to it?) than many others, in what he wants to do, but he can also do more stunts than many others, because if he's a producer as well and all that, he can't be simply told to sit back for insurance reasons like many others would be.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I wasn't a big fan of Cruise during the early years, but I have warmed to him over time, especially because of the effort and dedication he puts into his work at this late stage of his career for his fans.

I think he knows that this is really what keeps him bankable (I can't really see him settling into, or necessarily being accepted in purely more dramatic roles as he ages, but then again, I'd never bet against him).

He is the last of the long running great movie stars, which Hollywood just doesn't make any more.

^:)^
    Remember that time that Tom Cruise phoned in a performance? No, neither can I!
    I think its easy to under estimate him. Jerry Maguire was a very touching, funny movie with no hint of the action hero. With a career break, good script and direction, I can imagine him doing great family drama roles. He works very well with kids and a middle aged Dad would work for him I think.
    patb wrote: »
    I think its easy to under estimate him. Jerry Maguire was a very touching, funny movie with no hint of the action hero. With a career break, good script and direction, I can imagine him doing great family drama roles. He works very well with kids and a middle aged Dad would work for him I think.

Tom Cruise is an underestimated actor. And solely because in real-life he's a bit of a Scientology-weirdo. It's not fair.

Tom Cruise was marvellous in Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia", which gave him a Golden Globe. And although not that good as a film, in Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" he acted marvelously.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 203
    MI6 will have Tom Cruise out in space without a space suite! that is the only logical option. Hope he runs out of air and dies! Tom Cruise is an idiot ... hope this movie buries this stupid franchise! he is trying to outdo bond!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2015 Posts: 40,459
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @Creasy47, he doesn't do it "solely" or even mainly for the fans, but for himself. That is to say he wants to push himself and wants the experience. Nothing wrong in that, just saying... :) The same with other actors who insist on doing stuff they are not required to do, basically pushing stunt men out of the way. Cruise might be more extreme (more crazy? more addicted to it?) than many others, in what he wants to do, but he can also do more stunts than many others, because if he's a producer as well and all that, he can't be simply told to sit back for insurance reasons like many others would be.

That's not what he said when he appeared on Jimmy Fallon's show.
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 2,081
    patb wrote: »

Tom Cruise is an underestimated actor. And solely because in real-life he's a bit of a Scientology-weirdo. It's not fair.

Tom Cruise was marvellous in Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia", which gave him a Golden Globe. And although not that good as a film, in Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" he acted marvelously.

I agree with you both, he is a better actor than he is often given credit for.

I don't agree he would be underestimated because of Scientology, though. Whatever anyone thinks of that I think most people really aren't that silly. They may like him less as a person because of it, and so on, but obviously it doesn't affect his acting talents either way.

I think it comes mostly from what he actually does in movies. Most roles he is known for nowadays are action roles. Not just any action roles, but he's the lead in action movies, the hero, who kinda looks like Tom Cruise, regardless if it's Ethan Hunt or Jack Reacher, etc. In most roles, action or otherwise, he looks more or less the same. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are more rare, and usually less well known, and usually smaller roles, too, not leads (such as... Tropic Thunder ;) ). The combination of people basically seeing Tom Cruise in movies looking the same he looks in many other movies and the way he looks outside of movies, plus the large amount of certain types of roles (more or less action star, plus a hero) gives the impression that oh, he's just doing certain types of roles, he's always the same, can't act much. The impression is that there's not much variety.

When actors get enough name, get big enough break, they can choose which way they want to go. Something similar? Something very different? And so on. Nobody can do absolutely anything, there are some limits, but some have far more choices available at various points than most actors ever do. Cruise chose to do what he's doing, presumably because that's what he enjoys most. Fair enough. He likes it and he gets paid well. (Not that he needs the money by now I presume.) He likes doing the hero roles, the action roles, the stunts. I suppose he also wants to be a movie star (some actors do, some don't).

He's probably where he wants to be, doing what he wants to do. If he wants to do shoestring budget drama with no stunts, he can do that, too.

I'd love to see him do more stuff like, for instance, his excellent Magnolia role.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »

That's not what he said when he appeared on Jimmy Fallon's show.

Sure. :P
  • edited July 2015 Posts: 12,837
    Not a big fan of Cruise but his dedication to doing his own stunts is really impressive. He's done some insane stuff and the fact that he does it for his fans is even cooler.

That said I think if I was a stuntman I'd be annoyed. Because people like Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise, even Colin Firth now, get credit for doing all their own stunts, but stuntmen do stunts like this all the time and they get no recognition at all (the fact that there's an Oscar for visual effects, which has basically become people sitting at a computer, and not for the men and women who do these death defying stunts for our entertainment, is shocking). Tom Cruise still has a stuntman, who's probably done equally impressive stunts in plenty of other films too, but nobody is singing his praises. Stuntmen are really taken for granted imo. When an actor does his own stunts he gets lavished with praise and attention but there are stuntmen who do stuff like this all the time, in several films, and get next to no recognition.
    edited July 2015 Posts: 40,459
    @Tuulia, but he didn't. I'm just going off of what he said.

EDIT: Won't be seeing it today, as my friend bailed on plans (the day of) like he always does. Looking forward to the reviews of everyone that does catch it this evening, though!

EDIT: Won't be seeing it today, as my friend bailed on plans (the day of) like he always does. Looking forward to the reviews of everyone that does catch it this evening, though!

I would go with you Creasy. I too have a collection of bailers for friends.
    Not a big fan of Cruise but his dedication to doing his own stunts is really impressive. He's done some insane stuff and the fact that he does it for his fans is even cooler.

That said I think if I was a stuntman I'd be annoyed. Because people like Daniel Craig, Tom Cruise, even Colin Firth now, get credit for doing all their own stunts, but stuntmen do stunts like this all the time and they get no recognition at all (the fact that there's an Oscar for visual effects, which has basically become people sitting at a computer, and not for the men and women who do these death defying stunts for our entertainment, is shocking). Tom Cruise still has a stuntman, who's probably done equally impressive stunts in plenty of other films too, but nobody is singing his praises. Stuntmen are really taken for granted imo. When an actor does his own stunts he gets lavished with praise and attention but there are stuntmen who do stuff like this all the time, in several films, and get next to no recognition.

True.

Yes, I get that's what he said. It's sort of nice bs salesman talk from him, then. If he didn't get a kick out of doing it he wouldn't be doing it - fans be damned. ;) He's probably more celebrated nowadays for doing stunts than for acting, which is kinda sad, IMO.

What does it matter if your friend isn't going? Why couldn't you go by yourself if you were planning to go anyway? I would have. I often go to the movies by myself anyway, since, well, I go there to watch a movie, so it doesn't matter if I'm alone or with someone...

Because I, for one, am not a bailer, and wouldn't do that to a friend. I probably should, but I won't. Not sure why it surprises me anymore, but it still really pisses me off. It's just the principle of it, the fact that hours before the movie starts, I get a cancellation notice. Not yesterday or the day before, but today.
    really looking forward to this film
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mnhettia wrote: »
    MI6 will have Tom Cruise out in space without a space suite! that is the only logical option. Hope he runs out of air and dies! Tom Cruise is an idiot ... hope this movie buries this stupid franchise! he is trying to outdo bond!

@mnhettia

Please refrain from such comments in the future. Hyperbole or not; a death wish is in poor taste.

True Bond fans don't talk the way you do. Really a bloody shame how disrespectful you are.

True Bond fans don't talk the way you do. Really a bloody shame how disrespectful you are.

I agree, Gustav! This is the kind of trolling you're more likely to see on the IMDB.

The countdown is on for me - 4 more hours until I see it in the theater tonight! I'll post a quickie (non-spoiler) review tomorrow, if anyone is interested.
    @PDJamesBond, as long as it doesn't contain any spoilers, I'll be more than happy to read it!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm surprised no-one has given an actual review of MI:5 RN.
    Well I will then.
    I loved the opening stunt, which reminded me of the epic cargo net fight of TLD. However the stunt was over very quickly. I didn't expect the signature stunt to be the opening. I guess they were going with the TSWLM type wow factor to open the film.
    It still worked.
    I must say I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol and thought it would be a hard film to top. However it appears Christopher McQuarrie may have done so. The film has a good pace, never leaving the viewer bored, the story is well thought out, and nothing happens that makes you wonder why or how. It has reason and purpose.
    I love the way we're always guessing who the villain is, with a few key characters potentially set up to be in cahoots with the villain.
    I noticed a few nods to the Bond films along the way, but after all these years, that's to be expected. The action set pieces were again thrilling and done for real. But also integrated into the story, rather than having a set piece stunt for the sake of it.
    The locations are well shot and beautiful, and the cast is one of the best of the MI series that I can recall. Rebecca Ferguson is a standout. Very beautiful, decent actress and capable. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of her in the future. Tom Cruise is starting to look his age at times, though he's still got another one of these in him. Ethan Hunt still has purpose, and the IMF will be required again.
    The supporting cast of Renner, Pegg, Rhames and Alec Baldwin are brilliant. I really enjoyed the back and forth between Renner and Baldwin, but the end scene when Alec Baldwins character shows his true colours is great.
    Really enjoyed this film. Little long perhaps, but easily one of the better MI films.
    The release date and track list for the OST have been released (contains mild spoilers):

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/KingPatel/news/?a=123407
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Having just come back from watching it, I thought it was bloody excellent.

Seems to share a lot with Spectre though (locations, similar plot lines).

Chris McQuarrie should really do a Bond film.
    Screw it, I'm going to see it tonight.
    First samples of Joe Kraemer's score for "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation". It's pleasant to hear a more 'grown-up', more coherent score as compared to Michael Giacchino. Wonderfully rich orchestrated pieces that ooze "classic spy drama":

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Impossible-Nation-Motion-Picture/dp/B012JMAN4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438293140&sr=8-1&keywords=mission:+impossible+joe+kraemer
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    First samples of Joe Kraemer's score for "Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation". It's pleasant to hear a more 'grown-up', more coherent score as compared to Michael Giacchino. Wonderfully rich orchestrated pieces that ooze "classic spy drama":

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Impossible-Nation-Motion-Picture/dp/B012JMAN4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438293140&sr=8-1&keywords=mission:+impossible+joe+kraemer

Now this sounds like a spy score. Love what I'm hearing from those samples and looking forward to seeing the film this weekend.
    Because I, for one, am not a bailer, and wouldn't do that to a friend. I probably should, but I won't. Not sure why it surprises me anymore, but it still really pisses me off. It's just the principle of it, the fact that hours before the movie starts, I get a cancellation notice. Not yesterday or the day before, but today.

Yes, I get all that, and I can understand you'd be pissed off about it, and rightfully so. It's a shitty, disrespectful thing to do on short notice (unless your friend has a really good reason like having suddenly fallen ill or something). I just don't get why you wouldn't go alone then. You wouldn't be letting him down since he already cancelled. And you had already planned to go, so...
    Screw it, I'm going to see it tonight.

That's more like it! \m/
    Finished work and on a whim just decided to rock up to my local Vue. Great movie and I'm in love with Rebecca Ferguson (well until Lea hits the screens) anyway. Thoroughly recommend it.
    Just got back and really enjoyed it! I'll post my full thoughts on it tomorrow, I have a massive headache and I need darkness and rest.
    It was great! These keep getting better and better. The score was terrific.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Did they show the SP trailer in front of MI?