Which unused Fleming Bond villains would you like to see featured next?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2015 Posts: 16,330
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Only one director could get away with his film being titled 007 in New York and that is Chris Nolan

I hope that buffoon gets no where near this franchise. Cheese city.
    I agree with you there @Birdleson.

I can see it now. The typical Hans Zimmer electronic loop plays thoughout the whole movie while Bond is constantly depressed and crying at random moments. M give him a mission then goes into a big speech how Bond is the most dedicated Agent in the entire MI6 and congratulates him on putting up with Judi's trust issues. Only to ask if he can trust Bond. Kincade comes back and gets killed by the Villain played by Tom Hardy. Michael Caine is Andrew Bond's ghost. Let's bring Felix Leiter back too played by Leo Dicaprio. Anne Hathaway will be Ester Lynd because why not. Bond and Ester will have no chemistry at all, no sex. It will just be awkward. A Bond movie grounded in reality and with the life sucked out of it. A masterpiece. Obvious sarcasm is sarcasm.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2021 Posts: 17,782
    Perdogg wrote: »
    Why Not Piotr Malinowski?

Yes, though we sort of had him as Prince Kamal Khan in Octopussy in the Sotheby's auction scene. That's the only literary basis for the Khan character in fact, the rest being the inventions of the three screenwriters of the film - George MacDonald Fraser, Michael G. Wilson and Richard Maibaum respectively. Well, apart from Khan's line about spending the money quickly that's taken from Sir Hugo Drax in the Moonraker novel.
    Perdogg wrote: »
    Why Not Piotr Malinowski?

The name could be used. But there's not much left apart from the name.
    @dragonpol From Thunderball - "..'bad fall' had probably been when he had to jump from the Arlberg Express and Heinkel and his friends had caught up with him around the time of the Hungarian uprising in 1956." (Cape, 1961- page 22)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Damian Lewis IS Drax. Hell, just call the movie Drax.
    echo wrote: »
    Damian Lewis IS Drax. Hell, just call the movie Drax.

Not nearly ugly enough. Drax has been used though, heck, his features and background were basically recycled for AVTAK, GE, DAD and SF and that's at the top of my head.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Spangs.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    The Spangs.
    Seconded. :-bd
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Spangs.
    Seconded. :-bd

You should listen to the radio play of DAF on the BBC then.
    007 In New York as a title doesn't work....theres no glamour or intrigue. 'Risico', 'The Hildebrand Rairity' (although named after a fish), or 'The Property Of a Lady' all work though....

Risico will be used as a title one day, I think EON are saving it for now.
    Can we keep the discussion on the unused villains please?
    Somewhere It went from unused Fleming villains to titles. :))
    Somewhere It went from unused Fleming villains to titles. :))

Yes, that's Strange and Bizarre.
  • Sprang and this be in Bond 25 as a stand alone film and take a break from Spectre and then Bond 26 bring back Blofeld
  • DariusDarius UK
    edited October 2015 Posts: 354
    How about Slugsy and Horror from The Spy Who Loved Me. Okay, so Horror was re-packaged as Jaws for TSWLM and MR, but a reinvention wouldn't hurt.

Or there's Herr von Hammerstein, a former Gestapo officer who is now the chief of counter-intelligence for the Cuban Secret Service from "For Your Eyes Only".

Maria Freudenstein is the British Secret Service double agent in "Property of a Lady".
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Spang brothers would be good, but they'd have to change them a little, ( as
    They did with Scaramanga ) for the film.
    Slugsy and Horror could be the Spang Brother's henchmen. Boy that's a Bond movie I want to see.
    It does sound good. ;)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,984
    The Hildebrand Rarity, The Property of a Lady and Risico need films, IMO. 007 in New York just doesn't sound like a Bond movie and isn't convertible to a blockbuster film.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Slugsy and Horror could be the Spang Brothers' henchmen. Boy that's a Bond movie I want to see.

Now we're motoring.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Kananga wrote: »
    Risico will be used as a title one day, I think EON are saving it for now.

I just recently found out that Risico was planned to be the title of the next Activition video game. It was supposed to be a very close adaption of the short story and a sequel to Bloodstone. It got pretty far in development but ultimately got scraped, not sure why, and the bond licence is no longer with activition (fortunately). I would not mind to see a video game adaption of risico if its done with the highest production value and treated like a movie. No cashgrabs
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Birdleson wrote: »
    007 IN NEW YORK is a great title. Powerful.

Please don't think I'm singling you out Birdleson because you're far from alone but are you people who think 007 in New York is a good title stark raving mad?

It's an utterly awful title. How is it powerful? There's no mystery, no romance. It just states a fact. In this film Bond goes to New York. That's not a title that's a press release. It sounds more like one of those shitty translations you get on a Japanese poster for a Bond film because the original title doesn't translate.

Just because it's an original title by Fleming doesn't mean it should be used. God knows I don't have that much faith in EON given the way they've cocked up the gunbarrels over the Craig era but on this one I have 100% faith that Babs and MGW will ever sign off on this disgrace of a title. If we are so desperate for a Fleming title then we can plunder the hundreds of the wonderful chapter titles before we need to resort to this.

Some other 'great and powerful' Bond titles we could have had :

DN - 007 in Jamaica
    FRWL - 007 in Istanbul & Venice
    GF - 007 in Switzerland (but no snow) & Kentucky
    TB - 007 in the Bahamas
    YOLT - 007 in Japan
    OHMSS - 007 in Portugal & Switzerland (with snow this time)
    DAF - 007 in Amsterdam & Las Vegas
    LALD - 007 in New York, Jamaica (but it's called San Monique) & Louisiana
    TMWTGG - 007 in Beirut, Hong Kong, Macau, Bangkok and James Bond island
    TSWLM - 007 in Austria (Well actually it's Canada), Egypt & Sardinia
    MR - 007 in California (well France), Venice (again), Rio, the Amazon & Space (well Pinewood. Oops no most of it was Epernay come to think of it)
    FYEO - 007 in a gasworks near Beckton, the countryside near Madrid (actually Greece), Cortina, Greece
    OP - 007 in Possibly Cuba (it's never made clear), India, Germany (although most of it was filmed in England)
    AVTAK - 007 in Siberia (Iceland), France & California
    TLD - 007 in Gibraltar, Bratislava (Austria), Austria, Morocco, Afghanistan(Morocco) & New York (we'll be honest here no one actually went to Carnegie Hall it's just a set)
    LTK - 007 in Florida & Mexico (meant to be some place we made up called Isthmus)
    GE - 007 in Russia (Switzerland), Monaco, Russia, Cuba (Puerta Rico)
    TND - 007 up the Khyber, Oxford, Germany & Vietnam (actually Thailand)
    TWINE - 007 in Bilbao, London (yes we know he's London in every film but we spent a shitload on the boat chase so it's worth a special mention this time), Scotland, Azerbaijan (partly the Alps) & Istanbul (again)
    DAD - 007 in North Korea (Hawaii and the Pinewood backlot), South Korea (probably Pinewood again), Hong Kong (clearly faked on a set), Cuba (Cadiz. Now the yanks have relaxed their embargo maybe we can film here for real next time for a change?), Iceland, back to North Korea
    CR - 007 in Prague, Uganda (good old Pinewood again), Madagascar (the Bahamas), the Bahamas, Miami (mostly England I think. Was any of that actially Miami?), Karlovy Vary, Venice (yet again), Lake Como
    QOS - 007 in Italy (and more specifically Siena), Panama (supposed to be both Hatiti and Bolivia we'll assume nobody will know the difference), Austria & Chile
    SF - 007 in Istanbul (again), London, Shanghai (well let's be honest here there are about two establishing shots and then the rest is blatantly on sets because our budget was hacked to buggery) & Scotland (but most of that was actually England)
    SP - 007 in Mexico City, Rome, Austria & Morocco

For those of you worried my life is an empty void that I could be bothered to sit here and type that excerise in pointlessness, well yes you're probably correct. However at least it's on work's time and the only alternative was watching the rugby on telly.

And it's wasn't totally pointless - I hope at least that it illustrates what a monumentally shit title 007 in New York really is. Fine for a short story (well let's be honest it's not much more than a magazine article) but hardly viable for a 21st century, box office leviathan like Bond 25 will be.

Anyway terribly sorry for that little digression. Back on topic - the Spangs are Fleming's worst villains by a fair distance. If we have them we might as well work our way through all the rest of Fleming's comic book gangsters from Goldfinger and Scaramanga's hoods conventions.

Actually thinking of TMWTGG Mr Hendricks springs to mind. Some sort of Eurovillain played by say Stellan Skasgaard? Not blowing me away to be honest but why not?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Anything that has a reference to "007" or "James Bond" in the actual wording of the title should be an automatic "no" in my view.
    The original title for '007 in New York' was 'Reflections in a Carey Cadillac'. It shouldn't really be considered seriously at all as a possible future Bond film title as it was only ever intended as an addendum by Fleming to his chapter on New York in Thrilling Cities (1963). Fleming was rather harsh about said city and wanted to make amends by having Bond (as a sop to the American reading audience) wax lyrical about New York instead! So that is the historical context of that title for anyone out there who cares!
    I love the Fleming titles that take an every day phrase and give it a twist.
    The hard part is thinking of a phrase. :D
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Anything that has a reference to "007" or "James Bond" in the actual wording of the title should be an automatic "no" in my view.

Quite. McClory's 'James Bond of the Secret Service'? No doubt the pro '007 in New York' brigade would think this is a cracking title when the truth is that it is quite plainly bollocks.

James Bond in the Secret Service is SLIGHTLY better - but still a no. Sounds more like the title of a documentary on the "real" 007.
    There are probably some cretins out there who think 'Birds of the West Indies' would be a winner.

I'd half expect a David Attenborough cameo in that film.
  • DariusDarius UK
    @The WizardOfIce

I nearly fell off my chair with laughter reading your earlier posts, so as far as I'm concerned you didn't go to all that trouble in vain.

I think it's possible that @Birdleson was being ironic about "007 in New York" being a powerful title for a movie. No doubt he will enlighten us when he returns from his temporary self-imposed exile.