PREMIUM BOND with Bond fan Mark Gatiss

CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
in Bond Movies Posts: 292
For those that haven't caught it yet fellow Bond fan (and CATCHING BULLETS contributor) Mr Mark Gatiss has shared a Vesper or two with Dr Matthew Sweet for PREMIUM BOND - a cracking and non-sheep following discussion of all the Bond actors and films. It is available for a short while longer on BBC iPlayer :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02stxym/premium-bond-with-mark-gatiss-and-matthew-sweet

It is strongly recommended.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, watched this when it was on, very good Mark Gatiss is a big Bond fan.
    I would recommend it too. :)
    Gatiss really knows about movies, always worth watching, thanks for link
    Absolutely recommended. Great discussion with the emphasis on the actors - basically it boils down to 'Who's the best Bond?' but there are some wonderful observations (how to check into a hotel!) - I wonder if there is a longer edit of this as they skip some of the films?

Just type 'Premium Bond' into the i-player and you'll find it. I've watched it twice now very good.
    Caught it on BBCi was a good watch.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Excellent, I'll have to take a look at this tonight when I get home from work.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm very glad to hear that Mark Gatiss is a Bond fan - I hoped he would be. I'll have to give this a listen. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm not in the UK so I'm told I can't watch it. /:)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It was good, but full of clichéd opinions about Bond films and actors. Hoping for some original insight, but some of the comments about Connery, Lazenby and others seemed to be band wagon jumping to say the least.

Having said that, a celebrity superfan like Gatiss is a great thing to have.
    I bet that Mark Gatiss could write a good James Bond film too given the chance.
  • RC7RC7
    NicNac wrote: »
    It was good, but full of clichéd opinions about Bond films and actors. Hoping for some original insight, but some of the comments about Connery, Lazenby and others seemed to be band wagon jumping to say the least.

Agree with you @NicNac. I was well aware that Gatiss was a big Bond fan so I was expecting a bit more of an idiosyncratic take on the canon.

On a side note, has anyone read his Lucifer Box trilogy? I hadn't realised he'd written it until I spotted this cover in a book shop and had to buy it.

517XRzXq0TL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    edited July 2015 Posts: 17,727
    RC7 wrote: »

Agree with you @NicNac. I was well aware that Gatiss was a big Bond fan so I was expecting a bit more of an idiosyncratic take on the canon.

On a side note, has anyone read his Lucifer Box trilogy? I hadn't realised he'd written it until I spotted this cover in a book shop and had to buy it.

517XRzXq0TL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Yes, that reminds me about Lucifer Fox. I also bought the first one and I really need to get the rest. I love the wood crate covers - all very Richard Chopping.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Read the first two Lucifer Box books - The Vesuvius Club and The Devil in Amber - but haven't got round to this one yet. Really good fun, Gatiss definitely has an eye for the different periods the books take place in.

Someone should have a word with IFP about using whoever it was who did that cover, a brilliant bit of Chopping that.
    They look very interesting and definitely books that I'll look at buying. I really like Gatiss and he is passionate about the things he enjoys, whether it be Bond or Doctor Who.

On another note - please may I ask what "wood crate covers" are/means? Apologies if this is obvious.
  • RC7RC7
    On another note - please may I ask what "wood crate covers" are/means? Apologies if this is obvious.

@Dragonpol is referring to the cover on the right.

14748573788_88303a6945_c.jpg
    Ah, I see. Thank you, I didn't get that from the other picture. Pretty obvious really then?
  • RC7RC7
    Ah, I see. Thank you, I didn't get that from the other picture. Pretty obvious really then?

Just different versions. The Pan style one I posted above is the paperback, the Chopping style is the hardback.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Is there any way to view this outside the UK? I tried a UK VPN but doesn't work

Just different versions. The Pan style one I posted above is the paperback, the Chopping style is the hardback.

Both excellent covers.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Gatis is a genius, he did the writting on Sherlock and a few Dr Who episodes. He is also one thee leading experts on British horror. he could do a great Bond script.
    He came to prominence as one of The League Of Gentlemen on TV and radio along with Reece Sheersmith, Steve Pemberton and Jeremy Dyson. All have moved on to great acclaim elsewhere, but a LOG reunion is surely on the cards one day, Monty Python style?
  • RC7RC7
    He came to prominence as one of The League Of Gentlemen on TV and radio along with Reece Sheersmith, Steve Pemberton and Jeremy Dyson. All have moved on to great acclaim elsewhere, but a LOG reunion is surely on the cards one day, Monty Python style?

This where I originally know him from. Never suspected he'd be doing what he is now with Sherlock etc. Used to love his Les McQueen character (Guitarist in 'Creme Brûlée'). Awesome stuff.
    Les McQueen was a classic. Funny and tragic at the same time
  • RC7RC7
    Les McQueen was a classic. Funny and tragic at the same time

Absolutely. TLOG were fantastic at injecting pathos in to what would otherwise appear to be quite twisted scenarios. Nothing quite like it out there these days.
    Well that's don't it for me - time to dig the box set out. A bit of Papa Lazarou and Pauline's pens never goes amiss ;-)

This where I originally know him from. Never suspected he'd be doing what he is now with Sherlock etc. Used to love his Les McQueen character (Guitarist in 'Creme Brûlée'). Awesome stuff.

I have t shirt of Les McQueen that says "it's a sh*t Business!"
    Its all about Mark Pemberton's Pop charachter for me "444-4244" "You are no longer my sons"
    edited July 2015 Posts: 7,567
    yes, thinking about the Pop character makes me realise how Mark Gatiss completely nails those semi-tragic individuals who never get the breaks - Pop's son and Les McQueen amongst them.