Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

191012141542

Comments

  • Posts: 802
    pjv wrote: »
    Can someone answer a question I have.
    Why have the publishers changed with each new continuation novel.
    I've noticed:
    Devil May Care - Penguin 007
    Carte Blanche - H&S
    Solo - J.Cape
    New Novel - Orion

    I wish they would stay the same.

    They change because every author has their own separate publishing deal and they go with the author's publisher.
    The exception was William Boyd who's normal publisher is Bloomsbury. SOLO was published by Jonathan Cape which is today a Random House imprint - the same parent company that has the UK rights for Fleming's Bond. In this case they probably got lucky. Maybe Boyd was between contracts or Bloomsbury gave him a day pass to do Bond. Either way, it didn't help the content!
    It certainly creates an inconsistency of look but there again, consistency isn't an IFP strong point!
  • pjvpjv Australia
    Posts: 15
    Thanks Villiers53!
    That's really interesting. Your right about the consistency - definitely lacking from IFP.
  • Posts: 802

    Mrcoggins wrote: »

    Given that Horowitz is slated to be reading an extract from his new Bond novel at the evening with Trevor McDonald and the end of April, it will be interesting to see if IFP allow the release of the title on that date?

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,420
    I hope it is called HELL ON WHEELS.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,103
    I hope it is called HELL ON WHEELS.

    I doubt it very much as they've already ruled out Murder on Wheels as the title.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,420
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I hope it is called HELL ON WHEELS.

    I doubt it very much as they've already ruled out Murder on Wheels as the title.

    How about MEALS ON WHEELS then?
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,103
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I hope it is called HELL ON WHEELS.

    I doubt it very much as they've already ruled out Murder on Wheels as the title.

    How about MEALS ON WHEELS then?

    Yes, it's very Flemingesque, that.
  • Posts: 5,745
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    The Iron Race
    The Stirling Ring ('Ring' like racetrack, 'Stirling' Moss is the driver)
    Cars Of Conquest
    The Red Racer (for the Soviet agent/race driver)
    A Murderous Motorsport
    The Apex Of Mortality
    Gentleman Driver
    The Hairpin Homicide
    Lap Of Honor
    Operation Scattershield (Racing term for material that protects the driver; could reference Bond)


    These are a stretch..

    Finish First Or Die (Don't like this one, but there's potential)
    Formula Gun (Like formula 1..)
    To The Victor Goes The Turmoil
    Codename: Zero Car or just Zero Car (The car in rally that leads the racers around the course)

    I'm really starting to like
    The Stirling Ring
    Gentleman Driver
    and
    To The Victor Goes The Turmoil
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    I quite like Gentleman Driver. I don't know what it is about that title, but it sounds pretty good to me.
  • Posts: 802
    Despite my preference for my own suggestion, 'Pole Position' — purely for double entendre opportunities - I'm starting to like 'Operation Scattershield' albeit my preference for one word titles makes it 'SCATTERSHIELD'.
    As for the rest, sorry aficionados, but they all sound like bad episodes of 'Murder She Wrote' or even worse, titles for Benson novels!
    Beyond the title, if any of you Bondologists are going to the Horowitz/McDonald gig - here is a non exhaustive list of questions for the great man:
    1) Which year is the novel set in?
    2) Does it reference/draw on previous Bond assignments.
    3) Do the usual suspects appear - M, Tanner, Monneypenny, May , etc.
    4) Aside from Germany, which countries is it set in.
    5) Will Bond be driving a Bentley.
    6) Are we getting a great Bond villain?
    7) Is it going to have a great Choppinesque dust jacket?
    8) Are amy special first editions planned?
    What other questions would we like to ask?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,420
    Ask him if he will do more Bond novels.
  • Posts: 802
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me at all.

    What doesn't bother you @Birdleson?
    Feel free to express yourself. I'll keep the Stasi at bay.

  • pjvpjv Australia
    Posts: 15
    I also don't mind 'Murder On Wheels' - it's Fleming, and it's different.
    When you consider some of Fleming's draft titles - its not too bad.
    MR draft titles:
    • 'Mondays are Hell'
    • 'The Infernal Machine'
    • 'The Inhuman Element'
    • 'Wide of the Mark'
    • 'Hell is Here'
    OHMSS draft title:
    • 'Hell's Belles'
    GF draft title:
    • 'The Richest Man in the World'

    I also really liked the Gardner draft title of 'Blondes Prefer Gentlemen' and 'Meltdown'.

    I think it would be amazing if the same artist who did 'Solo' returned to do the cover, or we got another "Chopping" styled cover.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    Pole Position

    please this one. Perfect for a automotive setting.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 5,745
    Sark wrote: »
    Pole Position

    please this one. Perfect for a automotive setting.

    Pole Position
    and Gentleman Driver are my two top picks. The Stirling Ring also fits the plot in many ways.

    Do we think S.P.E.C.T.R.E. could be incorporated somehow? A mix of the original treatment with something new to preview this year's film? Some rogue Russian S.P.E.C.T.R.E. baddies?

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Pole Position

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Gentleman Driver

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    The Stirling Ring


    Which fits best?
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Posts: 805
    I hope it is called HELL ON WHEELS.

    Back on page 7, I suggested DEATH ON WHEELS but actually think I prefer your HELL. Sounds very Fleming. Like @Villiers53's POLE POSITION too. As for a one-worder, SHATTERSHIELD could work, still quite like CHICANE though, think that could look cool in a nice font on the cover.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Posts: 893
    pjv wrote: »

    I think it would be amazing if the same artist who did 'Solo' returned to do the cover, or we got another "Chopping" styled cover.

    That would be Suzanne Dean from Random House. There's an interview with her over at literary007.com
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Posts: 45,420
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »
    Pole Position

    please this one. Perfect for a automotive setting.

    Pole Position
    and Gentleman Driver are my two top picks. The Stirling Ring also fits the plot in many ways.

    Do we think S.P.E.C.T.R.E. could be incorporated somehow? A mix of the original treatment with something new to preview this year's film? Some rogue Russian S.P.E.C.T.R.E. baddies?

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Pole Position

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Gentleman Driver

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    The Stirling Ring


    Which fits best?

    The Stirling Ring.
  • How about "Formula Done"?
  • Posts: 267
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Sark wrote: »
    Pole Position

    please this one. Perfect for a automotive setting.

    Pole Position
    and Gentleman Driver are my two top picks. The Stirling Ring also fits the plot in many ways.

    Do we think S.P.E.C.T.R.E. could be incorporated somehow? A mix of the original treatment with something new to preview this year's film? Some rogue Russian S.P.E.C.T.R.E. baddies?

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Pole Position

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    Gentleman Driver

    Casino Royale
    Live And Let Die
    Moonraker
    Diamonds Are Forever
    From Russia With Love
    Dr. No
    Goldfinger
    For Your Eyes Only
    Thunderball
    The Spy Who Loved Me
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    You Only Live Twice
    The Man With The Golden Gun
    Octopussy and The Living Daylights
    The Stirling Ring


    Which fits best?

    I think 'Pole Position', 'The Silver Ring' & 'Shattershield' hold the most potential.
    'Gentleman Driver' is too Sherlockian for me. This is Bond not Poirot!
    Regarding SPECTRE, given that IF created the concept in THUNDERBALL , I don't see how he'd do it and my money would be on a heavy SMERSH contingent and given the antics of Putin - very relevant too. What goes around, comes around!

  • Posts: 1,552
    Anthony Horowitz Presents
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007
    in
    Death Race 1950
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Posts: 13,384
    Chance in hell ? :)
  • Posts: 7,653
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Chance in hell ? :)

    Anthony Horowitz Presents
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007
    in
    Snowballs chance :D
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    That's not half bad either.
  • pjvpjv Australia
    Posts: 15
    I like 'Chance in Hell'!
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Posts: 4,012
    I finished reading Horowitz's The House of Silk a few days ago and if that is any indication of how good the man is, then he's brilliant. It got me terribly excited for reading the Bond continuation he's writing, whatever it's called.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 16,103
    Sandy wrote: »
    I finished reading Horowitz's The House of Silk a few days ago and if that is any indication of how good the man is, then he's brilliant. It got me terribly excited for reading the Bond continuation he's writing, whatever it's called.

    Yes, I think Mr Horowitz will do us literary Bond fans proud. He was my personal choice for the next Bond continuation author. :)
  • Posts: 4,622
    Sandy wrote: »
    I finished reading Horowitz's The House of Silk a few days ago and if that is any indication of how good the man is, then he's brilliant. It got me terribly excited for reading the Bond continuation he's writing, whatever it's called.
    This is good to know!
    Holds out hope, that we might finally get a real good book!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Posts: 893
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

    Given that Horowitz is slated to be reading an extract from his new Bond novel at the evening with Trevor McDonald and the end of April, it will be interesting to see if IFP allow the release of the title on that date?

    5321872bd8d32f740639bc3e8c07fa00.jpg

  • Posts: 2,559
    Well, I hope something in May will happen. May is also when the new 'Faith No More' album will be released. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.