Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    This would be my ranking re: Glen's:

1. The Living Daylights
    2. License To Kill
    3. Octopussy
    4. For Your Eyes Only
    5. A View To A Kill
    @Birdleson you and I don't seem to see eye to eye at all when it comes to Mr. Glen, haha. Almost exact opposite lists we've got.
    Watched Moonraker today.Pure fun from start to finish.Is it extremely silly? Definetly.Is it outrageously entertaining? Oh yes.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 7,500
    I can never seem to resist a ranking opportunity whenever I see one...

1. Licence to Kill
    2. The Living Daylights
    3. For Your Eyes Only
    4. Octopussy
    5. A View to a Kill

But I consider all of them, bar AVTAK, to be very strong Bond films. And I do enjoy AVTAK quite a bit as well...
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I might as well join in on this too...

1. The Living Daylights
    2. License to Kill
    3. Octopussy
    4. A View to a Kill
    5. For Your Eyes Only

The last two I just can't seem to enjoy no matter how many times I watch them.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    Watched Moonraker today.Pure fun from start to finish.Is it extremely silly? Definetly.Is it outrageously entertaining? Oh yes.

MR ranks at the bottom for me. I can get silly or campy (as in DAF, LTK, and TMWTGG) but it needs to be established and deeply (and expertly) woven into the film. And it doesn't happen for me in MR. The film starts out very strong (with the exception of Jaws falling into a circus tent). The entire first act, at the Drax estate is excellent. The scene where Corinne is run down by dogs is well-conceived and the photography is beautiful, and Barry's score in that scene is haunting--one of his very best tracks ever.

And then I find it all going horribly wrong. Too bad, too, because another great scene in MR is when Jaws is dressed as a carnivale clown, and he walks down a narrow alley, looking for Bond. No music. Just sounds of the carnivale in the bg. It's creepy as heck.

I have tried to forgive MR for the gondola and the pidgeon, and the bad SFX, and the Close Encounters tune, and the Amazon women, and the laser beam fight. But the kicker is the damn country music as Bond is riding a horse, wearing a pancho. My gawd...

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The Magnificent Seven Theme? I actually don't mind that part too much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    John Barry's arrangement of The Magnificent Seven Theme was awesome! I loved it. I wish there was a full version of it out there. Slow and Majestic.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554
    pachazo wrote: »
    The Magnificent Seven Theme? I actually don't mind that part too much.

Yes, that's right. It is.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I found it tacky. t's a great theme, one of the best in cinema, but I feel that the Bond franchise sinks low when it plops in classic soundtrack music (from better movies, no less).

I agree. Some fans like the juxtaposition of the serious and the tacky; for me, MR could have been a really good, a terrific companion piece to TSWLM. But for whatever reason, Lewis Gilbert didn't seem to know what kind of film he wanted to make.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I followed up TB with YOLT. :) not my favourite Bond film but it looks amazing on
    Bluray.
    It was yet aother way of copying The Spy Who Loved Me formula, wasn't it? "Lawrence of Arabia" in Spy, "Magnificent Seven" in Moonraker. I don't care much for it in either istance. I don't see the humor in it, and it is slightly embarrassing... Although it is far from my biggest issue with Moonraker, not even musically. The big travesty is the raping of Tchaikowsky. Dear god! X_X Its a paradox. Such a great score overall, and then there are moments like that?! %-(
    If I ever hear that cue from Tchaikovsky I always think of MR.

A similar thing happens whenever I hear the original SOS ABBA song in that I keep seeing Pierce Brosnan singing in my head.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The Loque death is a high point of Moores tenure. Contrary to popular belief, Moore is a good actor, he just makes it 'look' effortless.
    Murdock wrote: »
    John Barry's arrangement of The Magnificent Seven Theme was awesome! I loved it. I wish there was a full version of it out there. Slow and Majestic.

A shame it ruined the scene in MR though......far to comediac.

Birdleson wrote: »
    I found it tacky. t's a great theme, one of the best in cinema, but I feel that the Bond franchise sinks low when it plops in classic soundtrack music (from better movies, no less).

I liked the use of the Lawrence of Arabia theme in TSWLM and the shots of Moore casually slinging his jacket over his shoulder as he and Anya walk through the desert.

However to me the Magnificent Seven theme is less effective. Mainly because Moore is wearing that silly-looking outfit as he rides the horse.
    Yes, that is very true.

I thought that was a very fetching outfit, :)
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    TripAces wrote: »
    I agree. Some fans like the juxtaposition of the serious and the tacky; for me, MR could have been a really good, a terrific companion piece to TSWLM. But for whatever reason, Lewis Gilbert didn't seem to know what kind of film he wanted to make.

Once again, regardless of what you think of MR, it is not tonally inconsistent. It is fantastical, spectacular escapism throughout and never once sells itself off as a serious movie.

Gilbert knew exactly what film he was making (he effectively made it twice prior in the form of YOLT and TSWLM). Except, in 1979, he crafted the purest form of the three, eschewing all remote ties to realism or grounded action (literally) in favor of pure blockbuster scope and spectacle.

Whether or not the film entertains you, or you find any merit in it, is entirely your prerogative. The "juxtaposition of serious and tacky" you're speaking of is present, by and large, in TSWLM, not MR. I'm not saying this dictates which film is better, and my preference still lies with the former. Say whatever you'd like about MR, but conflicted it is not.

Once again, regardless of what you think of MR, it is not tonally inconsistent. It is fantastical, spectacular escapism throughout and never once sells itself off as a serious movie.

Gilbert knew exactly what film he was making (he effectively made it twice prior in the form of YOLT and TSWLM). Except, in 1979, he crafted the purest form of the three, eschewing all remote ties to realism or grounded action (literally) in favor of pure blockbuster scope and spectacle.

Whether or not the film entertains you, or you find any merit in it, is entirely your prerogative. The "juxtaposition of serious and tacky" you're speaking of is present, by and large, in TSWLM, not MR. I'm not saying this dictates which film is better, and my preference still lies with the former. Say whatever you'd like about MR, but conflicted it is not.

I wouldn't say that TSWLM is a tonally serious film. But aside from a few Bond-like elements, it is far more consistent, and Jaws is better utilized as a henchman.

I disagree in that MR takes the lighter elements found in TSWLM and YOLT and stretches them beyond belief, and yet it in some places it is still "trying" to be a serious film. But that is certainly just my take.
    I wouldn't say that TSWLM is a tonally serious film. But aside from a few Bond-like elements, it is far more consistent, and Jaws is better utilized as a henchman.

I agree that Jaws is better utilized, but he is also used much more seriously at times and then played for comedy at others - i.e. "juxtaposition of tacky and serious"

I don't think TSWLM is serious either, which is exactly the point I'm making. How can you say that MR is making attempts at being a serious film while claiming TSWLM, a considerably more grounded movie (relatively speaking, of course) isn't?
    I disagree in that MR takes the lighter elements found in TSWLM and YOLT and stretches them beyond belief, and yet it in some places it is still "trying" to be a serious film. But that is certainly just my take.

I suppose where we disagree is that I see a tonally consistent film with very few moments of true seriousness. Bond's first line is an outlandish double entrendre, followed by a skydive sequence culminating in Jaws flapping his arms like a flailing chicken. Corinne's death is the only one that comes to mind (a stunning sequence, if I do say so myself). Every other scene is dialed up so blatantly to 11. Are there moments of suspense? Certainly, but I don't think "suspenseful" is synonymous with "serious."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I agree that Jaws is better utilized, but he is also used much more seriously at times and then played for comedy at others - i.e. "juxtaposition of tacky and serious"

I don't think TSWLM is serious either, which is exactly the point I'm making. How can you say that MR is making attempts at being a serious film while claiming TSWLM, a considerably more grounded movie (relatively speaking, of course) isn't?

I suppose where we disagree is that I see a tonally consistent film with very few moments of true seriousness. Bond's first line is an outlandish double entrendre, followed by a skydive sequence culminating in Jaws flapping his arms like a flailing chicken. Corinne's death is the only one that comes to mind (a stunning sequence, if I do say so myself). Every other scene is dialed up so blatantly to 11. Are there moments of suspense? Certainly, but I don't think "suspenseful" is synonymous with "serious."

I think MR is just a slightly more exaggerated version of TSWLM.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 8,110
    After having such a blast with DN earlier, I've put on FRWL. Much to my amazement, DN is now very close to the greatness of FRWL. While the film itself is better, thanks a lot to a wonderful plot and Barry's immense contribution, Connery has already lost a (little) bit of his magic and sheer badassery of DN. By no means is this a complaint, but he made such a commanding performance in DN that isn't totally replicated here. The entire sequence on the Orient Express is getting better each time I watch it. The confrontation with Grant is just 2 absolute legends coming face to face with a battle of pure wits, and ends with the best fist fight, bar none, of the entire franchise.

@DaltonCraig007, Maybe you can help me. I'm trying to remember a certain bond film and I think Connery was in it. I Haven't seen some of his films in years so my memory is fuzzy.

From what I remember Bond arrives at his mission and while exiting the airport some mysterious character is watching him closely. Then, when bond meets his contact and they both drive off, the other character also gets into a vehicle and tails bond. That's about all I can remember, any ideas which film this is from? Thanks!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Dr No @Mendes4Lyfe
    royale65 wrote: »

Ahh! Yes, I remember now! It's a traditional for them to follow each other around. Thanks.

Ahh! Yes, I remember now! It's a traditional for them to follow each other around. Thanks.

That sounds more like From Russia With Love. The British intelligence section and the Serbs following each other in Istanbul. "Its like a common understanding we have".

Could that might be it?
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Both similar. But FRWL is more hospitable, should we say ;-)
    jobo wrote: »

That sounds more like From Russia With Love. The British intelligence section and the Serbs following each other in Istanbul. "Its like a common understanding we have".

Could that might be it?

Hmm, I think so. Doesn't he end up fighting the driver?
    jobo wrote: »

Could that might be it?

Hmm, I think so. Doesn't he end up fighting the driver?

No, that is Dr No ;) I'm getting confused now... :))

You should realy watch those films again, mate! Classic stuff!
    Ending up fighting the driver ? Sounds like the average taxi ride round here. :D
    I still don't know. When bond arrives at his hotel he checks his room for bugs and give the hotel man a tip. Does that make things any clearer?