Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Right, the Blofeld scene was destroyed by the famous line "I'll bye you a delicatessen...in stainless steel" and the music . Then, we have the Bibi scenes as well. And i think that Moore looks much older than Moonraker, like maybe 10 years have passed since (not to mention the awful hair-dye).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »

I find TND's second half entertaining, even the machine gun climax, but I definitely understand that it is the weaker half of the film. I do admire that Spottiswoode was committed to just delivering an action packed adventure film with a no-nonsense attitude, regardless of a few falters here and there.

I find all of that non-stop, pointless, shooting from the Brosnan era the low point in the series. Worse than the pigeon or the Tarzan yell. It's not the classic Bond battles of yore (ala YOLT and TSWLM), it is Bond as Rambo, invincible, yet single-handedly knocking off dozens. It devolves the Bond films into just another cartoon action romp, like twenty other films coming out around the same time. There was nothing special about a Bond film from that era except that "James Bond" was a character in them.

Isnt that a fair desciption of Craigs Bond? That of an unstoppable killing machine? For example in SF he gets shot twice, falls off a speeding train into a river and survives! In CR he wipes out a small army in Venice and pulls out a big fucking nail out of his back Rambo like, and in QOS he is at his most Terminatorish, killing everything in sight!

I can see where you can draw the comparison, but I think there are some key differences. Small army for Craig is four or five guys, for Brosnan it's usually in the 20s, no exaggeration. Craig gets hurt, badly. The surviving doesn't bother me, that's Bond. He fares worse in the books. At the end of the novel YOLT he gets shrapnel in the head while fleeing an exploding castle by helium balloon, falls from a great height (if he's above the castle I assume it is a greater distance than he fell in SF), lands in the ocean, unconscious, and is fished out by Kissy. My problem with Brosnan is that he wades through actual hordes of men firing automatic weapons at him and never gets clipped, it loses any semblance of tension. And with the Brosnan shoot outs I never feel any emotional link, as I do with the Craig fights (saving Vesper, repelling Silva's men from Skyfall, etc). I think that there is a big difference.

The image of Bond '' wading his way through '' tons of baddies is pretty much standard action hero fare which was popularised by Bond since the begining and copied by the likes of Stallone and Arnie.Its what makes the character look so cool.

However, i often hear of Craigs Bond being praised for being more '' vulnerable '' and dont think its deserved.Brosnans Bond does get injured badly in TWINE and is actually a key factor in the plot later on.Craigs Bond survives a high altitude fall from a plane opening his parachute literally TWO SECONDS before hitting the ground in QOS! He falls from a considerable height during the crane chase in CR after landing on a metal sheet on his BACK ( etc ).

I know its Bond and its only a movie but if they are making a more gritty and realistic set of films then it loses crediblity when Craigs Bond has wolverine like healing powers!
    From Russia With Love

Still one of the best. A classic. Everything is on point here.
    Octopussy

I can't remember it being so bad and uneventful. Roger Moore looks especially old for some reason. Did they use more make-up as time went on in his Bond run? Or did he get some minor surgery?

There are also what seems to be all these random ''action'' scenes that occur for no reason what so ever and they don't really help in moving the story forward.

I'm not mad at the movie or anything (and I'm not an angry person, trust me :)>- ), but it's a fun frolic and nothing too serious overall. It's one I definitely won't be revisiting anytime soon though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    From Russia With Love

Still one of the best. A classic. Everything is on point here.

True true true.
    Die Another Day

My position on this one hasn't changed. For those unaware of my position: although I certainly don't consider it one of the better entries of the series (or even near the top half), I'd probably be considered a defender simply because I wouldn't call it the worst of the bunch.

I maintain that the first hour (up until Mr. Kil says his first line, if you want an exact moment) is really quite good. Berry's dialogue, and the sex scene between the two, are the only moments before that mark that rankle. The rest is inventive action, Brosnan at his best in the role, and several moments of Bondian coolness. Even the references in this first half are better (I love seeing Brosnan snatch the grape at the Cuba clinic) than in the second. Some of the action, like the hovercraft chase and the sword fight, are refreshing divergences from the machine gun fire the Brosnan films occasionally fell in love with.

Everyone knows the problems of the second half, so I'll just say that I agree - what's bad in this movie is REALLY BAD. However, Rosamund Pike is superb as Miranda Frost, i like the ice car chase, and I like the final fight between Miranda and jinx. The rest consists of varying degrees of poor quality.

However, the movie has energy, moves at a nice clip, and is focused entirely on pure extravaganza and entertainment. It misses its mark, a lot, but it never gets too bogged down by its poor script like its predecessor, which attempted to sell itself as a "serious" movie, highlighting the abysmal dialogue much more. Brosnan's performance is perhaps his best, taking all the ridiculousness in stride.

Won't be including Craig's movies in this ranking (waiting to see those until Spectre's release nears).

1. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    2. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    3. DIE ANOTHER DAY
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What is the worst of the bunch, then?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    TWINE, as of six months ago. My personal humble opinion, obviously.
    Good choice. No better than DAD, objectively.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I must be good for the execution squad, I quite like both MR and DAD. :-??
    What does your doctor say about bullets entering your body?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    What does your doctor say about bullets entering your body?

"Speak now or forever hold your piece."

What kind of doctor is that? One with metal hands?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Lead poisoning ? ;)
    What kind of doctor is that? One with metal hands?

One that shows me FRWL and OHMSS every day to cure me, but I still remain entertained by DAD.

READY...AIM...
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,310
    For some reason I have been in the mood for mediocre Bond films. So...

A View to a Kill
    A couple of zingers, and I've always liked Walken, but the movie is nearly totally flat and unmemorable. Tanya Roberts is quite bad. A special mention needs to be said of that scene with Zorin machine-gunning his miners. It's like for a moment the movie decided to ascend beyond the blah-ness with this very disturbing scene, but then immediately falls back into tedium. Not sure where this scene comes from, but oh well. 5.5/10

The World Is Not Enough
    Lots of box-ticking. Still a fan of the extended pre-titles sequence, but that is by far the best action scene in the film. (Para-hawks? Helicopters with saws? Yikes.) Denise Richards is a bad actor. Robert Carlyle is a good actor but wasted, and that's a shame. Valentine is one of Bond's best allies and lifts the scenes he is in. I wish Bond's final fight with Renard was more intense. They had a lot of opportunity to show Bond wailing on a nearly unaffected Renard as hard as a PG-13 rating would allow, but they blew it. AND THAT FINAL LINE - UGH. 6/10

Quantum of Solace
    This movie needs to slow the hell down. 6/10
    One laaahst *constipation face* shcrewwww
    Spectre 2015.

Teaser trailer! ;) ;))
    In the 90s, the filmmakers watched AVTAK, and thought
    "Wouldn t it be cool if it wasn t the villain, but Bond himself who mowed down hundreds of guys with a machine gun. Maybe have him laugh hysterically as well. Although we could drop that bit."
    @Thunderfinger They did, however, add a female villain orgasming while machine gunning people.
    She was a pretty bad girl...
    LTK--improves with each viewing. Without question, Sanchez is the most vicious villain in the Bond series.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, One of my favourites too. :)
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 1,263
    I find all of that non-stop, pointless, shooting from the Brosnan era the low point in the series. Worse than the pigeon or the Tarzan yell. It's not the classic Bond battles of yore (ala YOLT and TSWLM), it is Bond as Rambo, invincible, yet single-handedly knocking off dozens. It devolves the Bond films into just another cartoon action romp, like twenty other films coming out around the same time. There was nothing special about a Bond film from that era except that "James Bond" was a character in them.
    I have the complete opposite perspective and it can likely be attributed to a generation gap. It probably comes from growing up in a relatively peaceful time where the biggest dangers come from non-state entities that can be acting alone or as part of an organization. To have a character who can combat such villains and their organizations through his own force alone is not only comforting, but empowering. There is a place for that sort of action in a Bond film because it emphasizes that one person who has the right wits and ability can make a difference against all odds. This may be a bit of a reach, but I think it's not without reason to credit such heroes in our contemporary popular culture to the people who thwart terror plots by notifying law enforcement if they see something amiss. And those sorts of events do happen.

Conversely, I find the old battles where Connery's and Moore's Bonds go in with an army to take on an army of henchmen in brightly colored apparel comical. Part of the reason why I rank From Russia With Love and Goldfinger in my top five is because they lack those types of sequences. In From Russia With Love, he is caught in a shootout where Bond appears vulnerable and indeed needs to be saved by Grant to carry out the plan. And in the final act, he escapes all of the SPECTRE goons in the boat chase by igniting all of the displaced fuel tanks. In Goldfinger, he is in the custody of Goldfinger and occupied with Odd Job when the final battle is occurring around them. The whole idea that Bond needs to join a military unit to accomplish his mission seems like pageantry worthy of Fleming's fantasies during WWII than the 21st century silver screen. Especially after what the history lessons taught us about teaming up with certain military forces, such as the Red Army in WWII or the Taliban in Afghanistan. It's clear that every force in the world has their own motives for their actions. For a character in the position of James Bond, who is entrusted to keep secrets and legally permitted to kill the opposition, is best positioned to maintain a level of distance from any military force. I'm sure no one could have imaged Felix Leiter's CIA attempting to shoot up Bond the way they did in Quantum Of Solace back in the 1960s.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,595
    @Thunderfinger They did, however, add a female villain orgasming while machine gunning people.

And, as my user name would suggest, I love every second of it.

Watched For Your Eyes Only yesterday. Similar thoughts. The script is a little shaky (really wants to be a Fleming/Terence Young continuation, but misses the mark too often), and Glen hasn't quite figured out the proper balance of tone yet, making it a little too jarring for me at times. However, it has some of the best action in the series, Moore giving another great performance, and Topol as Colombo is perhaps my favorite ally. It has such momentum (its greatest strength) that the underwater stuff, particularly the "sub fight," really hurt it because it relies on its thrilling momentum and action. Alan Hume's cinematography here isn't terribly impressive either. Far cry from Jean Tournier's lush work for MR.

Oh, and I dig Conti's time capsule of a film score. Super fun and energetic.

Current rankings:

1. FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
    2. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
    3. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
    4. DIE ANOTHER DAY

• AVBAVB
    Last Bond movie watched was QoS, last night.

I believe the fans who hate this movie have gotten it completely wrong with Solace. It is the best out of Craig's era in my opinion - better than CR - and I think the reason for it is that Forster is such a superior director to Campbell. Had Forster directed CR I'm sure we would have had a much more nuanced, interesting and intelligent movie.

QoS does remain a little opaque for those expecting a Bondian film, or even a sequel to the laborious CR(which had it's great moments, but simply put Campbell is a dullard of a director with zero flair). In many ways, QoS was the film CR should have been; a tight, fast thriller - daring and mould breaking. It has amazing cinematography, and the locations were fascinating. It also had one of the best scenes ever created in bond film(Tosca). As for action it was largely great and understated. I'm not particularly a fan of the shaky cam in Siena chase, but that was not present throughout the rest of the film.

Top Bond film imo!
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Yet another example of why QOS is far from "under rated" by these boards.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 1,394
    Skyfall.

I decided to give this one another chance despite me not liking this film at all.After yesterdays viewing, i will say this in its favor...it does look great and the PTS is one of the best in the series ( Up until the utterly ridiculous '' bloody shot '' which Bond survives due to his as yet unrevealed mutant healing factor! )

Severine is a very interesting Bond girl, well played Berenice Marhloe, such a shame that she exits the movie too soon and it would have been a better film had she been the main Bond girl instead of....M.

However, what has not changed is how silly this film is despite obviously wanting to be seen as a '' serious '' Bond movie.There are many instances which just make you go '' Oh COME ON! '' which are too numerous to mention here but Silvas plan in particular makes no sense at all and its amazing that he got as far as he did with it ( No wonder he is smiling during the tube chase he is probably thinking '' I cant believe these MI6 agents are this dumb i bet i even make it to the enquiry because M will start spouting poetry instead of locking the place down! '' )

And i dont know about you guys but if i kidnapped my boss and got him/her killed i think i would be asked to clear out my desk the next morning.
    I don't think it's very good, but I enjoy parts and aspects.