GTA V - The first Trailer

marketto007marketto007 Brazil
edited May 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 3,277

xxx

Comments

• damn i wanted the 5th one to be set in london :( but at least we're not in liberty city, vice city or san andreas again. now we're in holly-sorry-vinewood. looks good so far, graphics dont seem great but they dont on alot of commercials. thanks for the post @marketto007
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 161
    This franchise is in serious need of a location change. London, Tokyo, Moscow, Hongkong etc. would be great alternatives to the same old US locations.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This one is in San Andreas...

We've got a long way to go but it seems a bit bland. Early days, mind, so first impressions mean nothing.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    set it in CLEVELAND, OH!!... lol - would be fun to take a few 9mm to my ol' stompin' grounds lol.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Why is Max Payne at 00:40?
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 2,107
    So, this means Rockstar has put Agent on ice. Again?

Dang. I wanted Agent much more than...*yawn* another GTA... too soon. Too much remains the same I bet. Looks good though and I will probably buy this one too... but dang. No Agent reveal or release any time soon... :(
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Too soon? It will have been nearly, or dead on, five years since the last game when this one is released. Quite a while if you ask me. The next game after this is likely to be on the next generation of consoles at this rate!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm still playing Vice City and it'll most likely be the only GTA I ever play. I can't help having so much fun with the 80s nostalgia of this game :).

As for Max Payne, huge fan of the games. I'm looking forward to MP 3!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I haven't played any GTA for years... 2004 last time I played one.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I haven't cared much about GTA since 2004. We haven't gotten any new cities since then.
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 12,837
    I'm still playing Vice City and it'll most likely be the only GTA I ever play. I can't help having so much fun with the 80s nostalgia of this game :).

As for Max Payne, huge fan of the games. I'm looking forward to MP 3!!
    vice city is my 2nd fave gta game. i loved it but gta 4 with its graphics and co-op play topped vice city, despite being set in liberty city AGAIN. but the best open world game (and imho, best game of all time) is just cause 2. i will never tire of blowing things up and performing impossible stunts :)

im really saddened that rockstar havent moved to a different, REAL city for gta 5, london, tokyo, maybe hong kong or mexico city

• Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    ^ I love JC2. So happy you brought that to the table...a truly excellent game. I can't get enough of it.

My hopeful thoughts on GTA5 are that this maybe is just one element presented in the trailer and they will release further trailers that 'expand the map' so to speak...may be a next gen version of San Andreas is on the way?? Fingers crossed... :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A new GTA? There's no doubt that i'll check it out, but even after 10 years, GTA3 still remains my favourite.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    looks terrible, nothing new. GTA has went downhill ever since GTA 2.
    Are you serious? Not judging, I just want you to explain more
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I'm looking more forward to this title then I was for GTA IV! I'm hoping with the success of Undead Nightmare, for Red Dead Redemtion, we'll get a Zombie DLC for GTA V.
    "Looks terrible"? Did you play GTA4? It looks exactly the same. "GTA has went downhill ever since GTA 2"? Okay, so we go from crap 2D top down to great 3D full camera, plus we get better story than ever before seen in a GTA, and for some reason 1 & 2 were better? Considering the just plain crap performance of those games, I don't even know how it got to 3.
    I'm an old Geezer so I haven't played any of the GTA games. But those graphics do look impressive--definitely has the feel of LA down pat.
    at least we're not in liberty city, vice city or san andreas again. now we're in holly-sorry-vinewood.
    Uh, Vinewood is in Los Santos. Los Santos was one of the three cities in San Andreas.

Although the game is probably limited to Los Santos and its surrounds; San Fiero and Las Venturas probably don't come into it.
  • I am very interested in what story GTA has planned for us in this installment. Most of the previous GTA games were all about crime and mafia and gangs and etc...the thing with GTA 4 was that Niko was one hell of a protagonist, not to mention his story was unique and most of all, real.

I'm guessing this time the main character will revolve around a former gang member or leader trying to retire from the business, but gets pull back into it because of some financial troubles or something. We'll see where it goes...

As for the settings, I was disappointed - not that it didn't look beautiful of course, but like others have said, was there really need to return to Southern California?
    I'm guessing this time the main character will revolve around a former gang member or leader trying to retire from the business, but gets pull back into it because of some financial troubles or something. We'll see where it goes...
    That's how most of the recent stories have gone - Niko came to Liberty City to start a new life, CJ only returned to San Andreas for his mother's funeral, and so on. The trailer for GTA V makes it pretty plain that the protagonist has a family.

That's the funny thing about GTA games. Despite the criticism of them, all of their heroes are actually good people. They're usually trying to protect someone or something of value to them, and almost always when no-one else is willing to.
    IGN seems to believe that the old geezer (who I said looked like Max Payne) is supposed to be an old Tommy Vercetti.
    That's the funny thing about GTA games. Despite the criticism of them, all of their heroes are actually good people. They're usually trying to protect someone or something of value to them, and almost always when no-one else is willing to.
    Well, now they ARE usually the lesser of two evils compared to some of the other characters, none of them are really "good people". Claude is a "motherf*cking snake without a tongue" (CJ's words), Tommy is Tony Montana without his Cuban accent, CJ is not only a former hood, but also stole cars for Joey Leone during his time in Liberty, Toni is a gangster, Niko is a soldier who did some nasty things during a war, Lost-and-the-Damned-Man (forgot his name) is a member of a bike gang that causes chaos all over the city, and Gay Tony's bodyguard (I believe his name is Luis, but I forget him, too) did underground fighting and was involved in several gang activities in his past.

The only character who was a "good guy" before the events of the game drew him into illegal activities is Vic, who was pretty damn stupid because he blindly followed the orders of his superior (leading to illegal activities) instead of reporting him to HIS superior, who would have probably been pleased to send his ass back where he came from.
    I'm seeing a lot of juxtaposition in the trailer. It starts out making Los Santos to be this idyllic, glamourous place, but as it goes on, the city looks like it's about to be swallowed up in squalor; there's the guy whose bank foreclosed on his house, and frequent shots of the city's homeless. At the same time, we've got private jets and luxury cars zipping around, and all these symbols of wealth. So the economy is clearly going to be a big part of the game, and I think the theme will be "What drives a person to commit crimes?". With the economic factors in mind, I certainly think we're going to be sympathising with characters who resort to robberies out of pure desperation.

If I may extrapolate from that, I would not be surprised if GTA 5 breaks with tradition and starts with a character who is not a criminal. The voice-over keeps talking about getting out of the business and starting over, but I think he could be something like a banker who a lot of people blamed for foreclosures in the city he originally lived in. Unable to take it anymore, he decided to get out of town and moves his family to Los Santos, using what money he has to try and buy his children a future. I think it would be pleasantly ironic if the protagonist never actually commits a crime until he arrives in Los Santos. The risk of all this is that the game would get too preachy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm surmising that, from the whole view that he moved and got this big house, that something must happen (maybe, as @shadowonthesun said, to a sort) he loses all of his money and turns to crime to get it all back.

BUT, it's all speculation at this point. I've been on other forums talking to people about it, and everyone thinks they know exactly who the protagonist is.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Are you serious? Not judging, I just want you to explain more
    Serious, sure why not. The last few games have just been recycled pieces. Why do most people hate on the graphics, GTA 2 is such a great game regardless of graphics. (people who only believe/play games with good graphics have really missed some of the greatest titles ever made)

This trailer look stunning no doubt, but the story seems like something we have already seen, hence why I think its terrible (same recycling of past games/atleast change the damn city).

It seems Rockstar is having trouble coming up with a decent story.
    It seems Rockstar is having trouble coming up with a decent story.
    Based on the casting call published by Kotaku, GTA's plot will revolve around the dark side of Hollywood - troubled celebrities, Scientology-esque cults and drugs.
  • I'm an old Geezer so I haven't played any of the GTA games. But those graphics do look impressive--definitely has the feel of LA down pat.
    This.

Don't play games now either, but I did have a few goes on the first GTA on it's original release whenever that was, first impressions were I found the gameplay awkward and It was playable, but not for long, I don't know how I'd feel about subsequent releases then

I was much more impressed by a similar game set in London around the same time I had a couple of tries at, but can't for the life of me remember the title, It had sort of soccer hooligan types running and driving around the streets and up against Eastern Europeans, there was a sequel to it and possibly more
    GTA London, The Getaway, The Getaway - Black Monday? (Both Getaways released in the last decade, after the success of GTA 3)
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Looks like it will be San Andreas (in its entirety) again...hooray, so excited. Causing a train crash on a freeway has been sadly lacking in my life.

All uk PS3 mags lead with this news in current issues,