SPECTRE: A full Vesper Lynd reference now is logical

2»

Comments

nice location, although the actual cemetry was somewhat more stuning, no?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I really hope that the cemetry will feature Vesper's grave. However, Venice and Rome, despite being both in Italy, are pretty distant. Why would Bond want to bury Vesper so far?
  • RC7RC7
    Walecs wrote: »
    I really hope that the cemetry will feature Vesper's grave. However, Venice and Rome, despite being both in Italy, are pretty distant. Why would Bond want to bury Vesper so far?

I suspect Vesper will be referenced, in fact it's inevitable. I don't see it being here, though. I think the link will be via White, rather than Bond proactively visiting her grave. But then again, who knows.
    Why would Bond want to bury Vesper so far?
    Would it be up to Bond where she was buried? It could be possible that her body was taken to Rome as part of the forensic pathology from the Italian authorities and afterwards where she was laid to rest.
  • Walecs wrote: »

Well, I think since Vesper used to be a "double spy", helping the enemy, I could imagine that the UK government said: Leave her body there. Moreover, she was an orphan as well no?

I always found it a bit illogical that Tracy was buried somewhere near London, while her life was mostly spent at the international jetset in Portugal, Italy, Monaco, to name a few countries....

• edited February 2015 Posts: 14,800

Well, I think since Vesper used to be a "double spy", helping the enemy, I could imagine that the UK government said: Leave her body there. Moreover, she was an orphan as well no?

I always found it a bit illogical that Tracy was buried somewhere near London, while her life was mostly spent at the international jetset in Portugal, Italy, Monaco, to name a few countries....

Vesper was an orphan and had no living relatives as far as we know. Given she was a traitor, the UK government probably went to the cheapest burial option.
  • RC7RC7
    Having written it off in my last post, something has just occurred to me. What if all SPECTRE agents who are KIA are interred in the same cemetery. This only works if Quantum is a branch of SPECTRE, whereby Vesper could be classed as an agent of theirs. That way Bond could stumble across a grave while searching for a lead that turns out to be dead. Fanciful, I admit.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    Having written it off in my last post, something has just occurred to me. What if all SPECTRE agents who are KIA are interred in the same cemetery. This only works if Quantum is a branch of SPECTRE, whereby Vesper could be classed as an agent of theirs. That way Bond could stumble across a grave while searching for a lead that turns out to be dead. Fanciful, I admit.

I love it, I frikkin love it :-). You're truly peeling down the layers of deceit Mr :-P
    Wait wait. It was book Vesper that was long time traitor, and even she got a decent burial by someone. We learn about her gravesite in OHMSS.
    Eva-Vesper was just a one-off blackmail victim, later spoken of fondly by both M and Mathis.Even Bond eventually came around.
    I'm sure someone took care of her burial, although where they put her. Who knows?
    timmer wrote: »
    Wait wait. It was book Vesper that was long time traitor, and even she got a decent burial by someone. We learn about her gravesite in OHMSS.
    Eva-Vesper was just a one-off blackmail victim, later spoken of fondly by both M and Mathis.Even Bond eventually came around.
    I'm sure someone took care of her burial, although where they put her. Who knows?

I am sure they did. It doesn't mean they went for the most expensive option and the national funerals.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,622
    My guess, is that if she was a Brit, which she was, she would get a nice plot somewhere on the government tab as she was a senior Treasury agent, drawn into espionage work by the government.

But most importantly, I think M and Bond would make sure she was buried with respect as she did turn out to be helpful at end, and working against the enemy.

Unlike book Vesper, she was more victim than traitor.

I wouldn't call her a traitor at all.

Which is one of the reasons I consider the whole film to be big miss on so many levels.
    One of them being, that it wouldn't have take much effort at all to present Vesper as far closer to the tragic original book Vesper.
    The "bitch is dead line" rings true in the book, but IMO it rings hollow in the movie.
    It's jarring even.
    I don't blame Craig. I don't think any actor could have sold that line in that movie.
    I enjoyed the line "The bitch is dead" in the movie, but it worked better in the novel. The whole suicide worked better in the novel, it was properly tragic.

Regarding Vesper's burial, they may not have wanted to humiliate her by putting her in a miserable grave. Although I am sure some people at the Treasury and MI6 were probably angry at her betrayal.
  • And the Vesper reference was there. Slightly different than I expected. But it comes back to Bond, just like it did in the novel "OHMSS".