Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JCRendle wrote: »
    I think the title Solo was taken (and this is my own interpretation here, not based on anything solid) from the original title for The Man from U.N.C.L.E - which was titled Ian Feming's Solo (after Napoleon Solo which he created for the series) but Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli effectively cut this idea, partly because a character called Solo was used in Goldfinger - and they claimed Ian Fleming had sold them the name. It's complicated, but I think the novel Solo - in a way - was a nod to that.

If it was a nod, IFP and Boyd did their best to not even bring up the subject.
    I agree, especially considering how much Boyd felt the need to drag Ian's name through the mud the entire time he was doing press for the novel.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    Any guesses for the title? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking..

LAP OF HONOUR
    DEATH ON WHEELS
    CHICANE

LAP OF HONOUR
    DEATH ON WHEELS
    CHICANE

If Bond's not successful in his adventure, the title could be Crash and Burn...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

LAP OF HONOUR
    DEATH ON WHEELS
    CHICANE

I doubt that they will use DEATH ON WHEELS as the title as it is too similar to MURDER ON WHEELS and Horowitz has said they are not using Fleming's original outline title as the title for the new Bond continuation novel.
    A Race to the Death
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Drive another Day !
    why not Murder on Wheels far better then solo.
  • It's interesting that the title for the book is yet to be launched yet 'SPECTRE' is out there and the movie won't premier until two months after Horowitz's book launch.
    Frankly, so much more could be done to market literary Bond. I sometimes think the publishers are their own worst enemies!
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    @Villiers - Perhaps they're keeping their powder dry a bit?

I think there needs to be a bit of mystery, excitement and build-up and time it right. SPECTRE will crush most other Bond news, so timing is everything. I expect we will see earlier promotion this time around in my opinion.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm just glad fans have no influence on titles. These are all worse than the ideas thrown around for BOND 24.
    I agree (I have seen some really terrible ones in the "Title Bond 24" thread), but I believe (well, hope) that most of them are jokes. "Drive Another Day" seriously made me laugh out loud.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    My pleasure Walecs.
    The Nurburgring Night
    or
    The Nurburgring Knight

(the name of the ring is Nurburgring)
    The Iron Race
    The Stirling Ring ('Ring' like racetrack, 'Stirling' Moss is the driver)
    Cars Of Conquest
    The Red Racer (for the Soviet agent/race driver)
    A Murderous Motorsport
    The Apex Of Mortality
    Gentleman Driver
    The Hairpin Homicide
    Lap Of Honor
    Operation Scattershield (Racing term for material that protects the driver; could reference Bond)

These are a stretch..

Finish First Or Die (Don't like this one, but there's potential)
    Formula Gun (Like formula 1..)
    To The Victor Goes The Turmoil
    Codename: Zero Car or just Zero Car (The car in rally that leads the racers around the course)
    How about one of Fleming's working titles for Moonraker - The Infernal Machine
    007InVT wrote: »
    How about one of Fleming's working titles for Moonraker - The Infernal Machine

Yes! I think Zero Minus Ten or The Silver Phantom could also easily be worked to fit.
  • "On Her Majesty's Stirling Service"
    "Who Do You Think You Are? Stirling Moss?"
    "License Revoked"
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, since we're going for stupid titles (and I don't know why)

'License to Drive"
  • OK, if we are being serious I'll guess it will be the villain's unknown last name like "Oversteer" or the name of the operation like "Crash Course" or "Hairpin" or "Red Flag".
  • Red Line 7000.....oops, been done. :-)
  • Any guesses for the title? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking..

LAP OF HONOUR
    DEATH ON WHEELS
    CHICANE

If the Fleming motor sport short is at the centre of the story, I think 'Chicane' is fabulous.
    I love one word titles although only one of my top three Bond novels - Moonraker - fits the criteria.
    If we are looking for something with a double entendre we could go for 'Pole Position' !
  • 007InVT wrote: »

I think there needs to be a bit of mystery, excitement and build-up and time it right. SPECTRE will crush most other Bond news, so timing is everything. I expect we will see earlier promotion this time around in my opinion.

Personally, I think they should be on the case now with a drip campaign. Theses days with social media being so cheap there is absolutely no excuse for lack of activity.
    I just think that publishers are poor marketeers!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Villiers53 wrote: »

Personally, I think they should be on the case now with a drip campaign. Theses days with social media being so cheap there is absolutely no excuse for lack of activity.

If I ever hear one positive word regarding IFP slip from your lips, I may just die of shock. :P
  • Villiers53 wrote: »

If I ever hear one positive word regarding IFP slip from your lips, I may just die of shock. :P

Who mentioned IFP?
    They aren't the publisher but don't let the facts get in the way of your fiction!

Who mentioned IFP?
    They aren't the publisher but don't let the facts get in the way of your fiction!

As head honcho, they certainly have the end-all-be-all say in how things are done, which can stem to its marketing. However, your talent for negativity has been so honed over the years, I'm sure you'll find a way to smite them yet.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,803
    Please stop this folks - it achieves absolutely nothing.
  • Villiers53 wrote: »

[/quote

Who mentioned IFP?

As head honcho, they certainly have the end-all-be-all say in how things are done, which can stem to its marketing. However, your talent for negativity has been so honed over the years, I'm sure you'll find a way to smite them yet.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, are you one of those internet troll characters?
    "On Her Majesty's Stirling Service"
    "Who Do You Think You Are? Stirling Moss?"
    "License Revoked"

Good fun - how about Licence Suspended
    How about "Formula (One) for Murder"
  • "Gentlemen, Start Your Coffins." Actually, that's a line the late sports columnist Jim Murray used when describing the Indianapolis 500 in its heyday.
    Blood on the wheels