Anthony Horowitz's James Bond novel - Trigger Mortis

Comments

• Fellow aficionados, last night's Foyle's War was absolutely terrific and was another solid testimony to Horowitz's writing skills. If he can put this sort of effort and depth into a TV episode then I think we can be very excited about his forthcoming Bond book.
    Here's hoping that the jinx surrounding the continuation works is well and truly dispelled!
    Good to hear @villiers
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Fellow aficionados, last night's Foyle's War was absolutely terrific and was another solid testimony to Horowitz's writing skills. If he can put this sort of effort and depth into a TV episode then I think we can be very excited about his forthcoming Bond book.
    Here's hoping that the jinx surrounding the continuation works is well and truly dispelled!

It also mentioned SMERSH in it as well I gather, which is also rather impressive.
  • Having viewed the last ever 'Foyle's War', my expectations are off the Richter scale.
    The plot, atmosphere and characterisation were absolutely first class.Furthermore, in terms of look, it made me wish - more than ever - that the Bond novels could be remade as period pieces.
    I am becoming increasingly excited about Horowitz's Bond and I do hope they support it with the right marketing and by doing something great by way of cover art.
    Freja Dean did a fabulous job designing "The James Bond Bench" and I'm sure she could do a marvellous dust jacket for the new book. Hopefully Random House will have the wisdom to commission her and break out of their current uninspiring corporate look.
    I've read some of Sebastian Faulk's books and I think they're first class. Then, look at the result of the miserable Devil May Care. Having said that, Faulks supposedly didn't take the task seriously.
    Colonel Sun certainly had some good bits that were Flemingsque but overall I find the book somewhat lacklustre and overrated in the literary Bond community.
    Bounine wrote: »
    Colonel Sun certainly had some good bits that were Flemingsque but overall I find the book somewhat lacklustre and overrated in the literary Bond community.

With the exception of OHMSS, FRWL & MR, Colonel Sun is up there with the best of the rest.
    It's at least the equal of Dr.No, GF & CR.
    Regarding the continuation hiatus, although I feel abused by IFP (surely the literary equivalent of SPECTRE), my confidence in the Horowitz insurgancy is high and hope that he will soon have our hero back in his Bently!

• Bounine wrote: »

IVNSHO (in Villiers53's not so humble opinion), Amis wrote a book that probably, with the exception of FRWL, was the best Bond ever and which was, in its day, the literary equivalent of the Craig movie franchise reboot.
    Hopefully Horowitz will manage the same.
    Bounine wrote: »

IVNSHO (in Villiers53's not so humble opinion), Amis wrote a book that probably, with the exception of FRWL, was the best Bond ever and which was, in its day, the literary equivalent of the Craig movie franchise reboot.
    Hopefully Horowitz will manage the same.

You do know with such high expectations you might get dissapointed. ;)

Colonel Sun was a decent enough continuation novel but like most does not come close to Flamings stuff.
    We could see him behind the wheels of an Aston Martin racing car, the Aston Martin DBR1 - of which was driven by Stirling Moss in the 1950s.

tumblr_nihs598BqU1rv0z1no1_540.jpg
    JCRendle wrote: »
    We could see him behind the wheels of an Aston Martin racing car, the Aston Martin DBR1 - of which was driven by Stirling Moss in the 1950s.

Looks fabulous but the question is did Sir Stirling drive it in the year in which the book is set?
    I hope so but he did drive at the Nurburgring on multiple occasions.
    He drove the Aston with Jack Brabham in 1958 and with Jack Fairman in 1959 winning the 1000km on both occasions. This would put the book in the Dr.No and Goldfinger era.
    For some reason, I think it's set after MOONRAKER - does anybody out there know?
  • Bentley wrote: »

Looks fabulous but the question is did Sir Stirling drive it in the year in which the book is set?
    I hope so but he did drive at the Nurburgring on multiple occasions.
    He drove the Aston with Jack Brabham in 1958 and with Jack Fairman in 1959 winning the 1000km on both occasions. This would put the book in the Dr.No and Goldfinger era.
    For some reason, I think it's set after MOONRAKER - does anybody out there know?

What a beautiful car — they certainly don't make them like that any more!
    Will it feature?
    Interesting question — from a time line perspective it could because the short by Fleming was probably written along with the FYEO collection that was published in 1960. Making the stories themselves set anytime in the '50s.
    Featuring the Aston would also be nice from a publicity perspective. Particularly if Horowitz finds a way to get Bond behind the wheel!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,552
    Stirling Moss was on the winning team driving a DBR1 at Nürburgring in 1958 and 1959, he drove a Maserati 300S in 1956 - another beautifully stunning car...

8755043-1-6.jpg&width=640&height=480&halign=l0&valign=t0&autosizefit=1
    Wow what a fabulous design - I've always loved this car!
    I wonder if Horowitz will have Bond driving the Bentley Mark V1 that he bought from his card game winnings in MOONRAKER?
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    News that the release date will be in September.

Book cover confirmed too.
  • 007InVT wrote: »

Has the cover been released?

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    007InVT wrote: »

Has the cover been released?
    We don't even know the colour!!
    ;)
    we don't know the title
    Confirmed that it'll have a cover? Nice ;)

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The title of SOLO (Skyfall, Solo, Shoot to Kill, Spectre... All beginning with S) was revealed in April, thus I guess the title of this one will be unveiled in that month.
    Confirmed that it'll have a cover? Nice ;)

Ha! You got me. I meant Horowitz confirmed he liked it.

10931032_802802953089832_1551980230506729137_n.jpg?oh=a0b4840ae1c26b3e008ae04ae5f6d764&oe=556C43E8
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 9,730
    which means a title has been chosen. Whatever it is it can't be worst the William Boyd's Bland... I mean Solo was that the title sorry it's so forgettable and boring I wasn't sure which it was called.

That said I really loved the titles of the 2 previous Bond novels Carte Blacnhe in particular I loved and God that novel breaks my heart. It's everything I want in a Bond novel set in current day a new story in the vein of fleming but not using his books as a starting point.. why for the love of god did it have to suck. Solo was just annoying (though at least bond slept with I think more than one woman better then Carte Blanche) I am willing to give this a shot though I hate Bond period peices. I will eventually finish the Gardner novels as well I am half way though I believe and as much as people are gonna be annoyed with me Fleming Amis and Benson are really the top 3 the rest are either too predictable (Gardner and yes I read Icebreaker) too boring (Boyd) too agrivating (Faulks) or too heart breaking (Deaver god I wanted Carte Blanche to be so much better then it was)
    Risico007 wrote: »
    which means a title has been chosen. Whatever it is it can't be worst the William Boyd's Bland... I mean Solo was that the title sorry it's so forgettable and boring I wasn't sure which it was called.

That said I really loved the titles of the 2 previous Bond novels Carte Blacnhe in particular I loved and God that novel breaks my heart. It's everything I want in a Bond novel set in current day a new story in the vein of fleming but not using his books as a starting point.. why for the love of god did it have to suck. Solo was just annoying (though at least bond slept with I think more than one woman better then Carte Blanche) I am willing to give this a shot though I hate Bond period peices. I will eventually finish the Gardner novels as well I am half way though I believe and as much as people are gonna be annoyed with me Fleming Amis and Benson are really the top 3 the rest are either too predictable (Gardner and yes I read Icebreaker) too boring (Boyd) too agrivating (Faulks) or too heart breaking (Deaver god I wanted Carte Blanche to be so much better then it was)

I think Carte Blanche and Devil May Care were excellent titles, that were indeed, squandered. Solo was much better, but I think Horowitz will out-point them all.

Here's hoping an apropos title has been chosen.
    I think the title Solo was taken (and this is my own interpretation here, not based on anything solid) from the original title for The Man from U.N.C.L.E - which was titled Ian Feming's Solo (after Napoleon Solo which he created for the series) but Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli effectively cut this idea, partly because a character called Solo was used in Goldfinger - and they claimed Ian Fleming had sold them the name. It's complicated, but I think the novel Solo - in a way - was a nod to that.
    I think the title Solo was taken (and this is my own interpretation here, not based on anything solid) from the original title for The Man from U.N.C.L.E - which was titled Ian Feming's Solo (after Napoleon Solo which he created for the series) but Harry Saltzman and Albert R. Broccoli effectively cut this idea, partly because a character called Solo was used in Goldfinger - and they claimed Ian Fleming had sold them the name. It's complicated, but I think the novel Solo - in a way - was a nod to that.

I probably agree with that.
  • Ironically I liked the titles given to the celebrity trilogy and even like the 'Solo' hardback cover art-
    it grew on me over time.
    It was what lay between the covers that was the problem.
    Along with a couple of the other haunters of this hallowed cyber hall, I've pushed like crazy to get Horowitz the Bond gig and I'm confident that he will be the one to break the continuity jinx.
    I decided to listen to the audio book of Carte Blanche read by Toby Stephens to see if some life can be breathed into it. I did like the modern day set up and accurate description of Bond. I'll see if my opinion softens over time.
  • JCRendle wrote: »

If it was a nod, IFP and Boyd did their best to not even bring up the subject.
    I decided to listen to the audio book of Carte Blanche read by Toby Stephens to see if some life can be breathed into it. I did like the modern day set up and accurate description of Bond. I'll see if my opinion softens over time.

Hmm I might listen to it I really love bond in the modern world.

If it was a nod, IFP and Boyd did their best to not even bring up the subject.
    I meant more of the title, than any of the subject matter.