Idris Elba considered for James Bond

edited December 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 43
Mod edit: this forum tries to stay away from trouble with Sony. The article can be found on the Internet but we needn't add fuel to the fire.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Not gonna happen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Suppose they hire him after Craig's tenure, say after two more of his films. Hiring Idris would be clumsy. He'd be 50 or older when he'd have to do a second film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Elba is a very charismatic actor no doubt, but I don't think he's James Bond.

He'd be a much better villain in a Bond film IMO.

I saw him play a villain in a recent 'B' movie (No Good Deed) and he was very good in it. He's also great when he flips out and loses it in Luther episodes.....hence my preference for him as a villain. He does disturbed well.

Interesting that Pascal said this. This should go some way to helping her after her comments the press misconstrued and made a big deal out of regarding Obama's favourite movies.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,043
    I'm sure Craig is winding the press up with those comments about he's been trying to get out of it since he got in.

You only need to see his enthusiasm when we get to start of each film and the way he is promoting the film to know he loves being Bond, what he doesn't like is the attention from the press and people prying into his private life.

As for Elba as Bond, I like him as an actor but we'd definitely be talking reboot and a total overhaul of the character, you can't just say here's Bond but he's black and not explain it.

If it happens I reckon Brad Pitt should be the next Shaft!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Not really news however ... is this from leaked emails? If so, please do not promote it or include a link.
    Not really news however ... is this from leaked emails? If so, please do not promote it or include a link.

How is this not news??? A major studio exec promotes his candidacy for Bond. The persons who make the decisions. Calley made the call on Brosnan being Bond at UA. Who died and made you king.

Idris has been discussed as Bond for some time. This is known.
    Our forum policy is not to promote the leaked emails and to discuss it only on the one thread.
    So much for free speech. Please deactivate my account.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 16,333
    Hey @aspie, show some respect. @4EverBonded is a very respected member on this forum. Elba being considered as Bond has been floating around here for several years now. Pascal doesn't make the Bond decisions. EON does.
    Our forum policy has been there for everyone to read.
    Sorry you feel that way.
    Idris has been discussed as Bond for some time. This is known.
    Our forum policy is not to promote the leaked emails and to discuss it only on the one thread.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours, no hard feelings but your policies fly in the face of free and open discussion.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Hey @aspie, show some respect. @4EverBonded is a very respected member on this forum. Elba being considered as Bond has been floating around here for several years now. Pascal doesn't make the Bond decisions. EON does.
    All respect to all of you and 4EverBonded but studio execs make the calls on these issues. Like I said Calley told the Broccolis that it was going to be Pierce. All my best.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Shardlake wrote: »
    If it happens I reckon Brad Pitt should be the next Shaft!

Not really a good comparison, as Shaft is defined largely by his blackness. I think Bond is defined more by his Britishness than his race. If you look at his biography there's no reason a black (or arab, or asian) British born person couldn't go to Cambridge, serve in the SAS and be recruited to SIS. That said, I don't see any good reason to change his race, it'd be a stunt. But if someone were clearly the best actor for the job it'd be a shame to see them denied it on that basis only.

But Elba is too old, so it's all irrelevant. If he were ten years younger I might be arguing passionately in his favor, but he's not.
    You can discuss this on the other thread, designated thread, if you'd like. No hard feelings. And we have older threads discussing Elba, too. Please do join us in discussion. Just read the community announcement and try again. You are very welcome on the forum; we just have a policy regarding links and leaked emails discussion.
    Who is Calley?
    You can discuss this on the other thread, designated thread, if you'd like. No hard feelings. And we have older threads discussing Elba, too. Please do join us in discussion. Just read the community announcement and try again. You are very welcome on the forum; we just have a policy regarding links and leaked emails discussion.
    Of course, no hard feelings. I always enjoy the speculation around a new Bond so I think its valid and that SONY should have no control on what is posted. My best to you and yours.

Oh it is not just Sony - this was also decided in order to contain leaks. The policy is set because we want spoilers contained, as well as certain ethics involved about what to post, yes. Not just Sony. A lot of our members do not want to read spoilers, but especially anything that was hacked illegally and leaked. Anyway, cheers!
    One reason not to have Elba as Bond : his getting the part would make the codename theory raise its ugly head once again, with more traction this time.
    I am against black Bond. Bond is not black, it would be stupid to do so. Would Black Superman work ? Absoultely no.

I mean sure you can make a movie like that but come on, it makes no sense.

It's like casting James Franco in a Malcolm X movie.
    It was mentioned earlier and I agree that Elba would be to old to come into the series. I want to see them cast someone around 30-33 years old. Then if this person is successful in the role, they can keep him for 10-12 years. As much as I loved Roger Moore, I would hate to see the series go down that road again with an older actor.
    Well, if they cast Elba does that mean we'd get a white Felix. In all seriousness, he would be too old. Also we now have The Equalizer.
  • I'm not a racist and I like Iris Elba but I say NO.
    No to black James Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I am against black Bond. Bond is not black, it would be stupid to do so. Would Black Superman work ? Absoultely no.

I mean sure you can make a movie like that but come on, it makes no sense.

It's like casting James Franco in a Malcolm X movie.

One of the daftest posts I've read in a long time.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Yeah im not sure why black superman is impossible. Is everyone from Krypton white?
    Using Superman and Malcolm X as examples are stupid anyway because 1. Superman is an alien. It doesn't really matter and 2. Malcolm X was a real person.
  • I won't beat around the bush, I don't want him, and I don't want him because he's black.
    Fleming created and wrote James Bond as a white man. I welcome Felix Leiter as a black man, M could be a black man, heck, Moneypenny is now black and I love her.

For one thing Daniel Craig is great for the role, he can do 3 or 4 more and it'll be great. If however, he were to leave, there are so many talented white actors to fill the role the producers don't have to look elsewhere. Tom Hiddleston and Michael Fassbender to name only just two would be tremendous choices.

Let James Bond stay a white man, please.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Tom Hiddleston and Michael Fassbender to name only just two would be tremendous choices.

Let James Bond stay a white man, please.

Hiddleston is not mentioned much. I think he would be great. As I've said elsewhere, I think anyone who plays Bond from now on needs to have an edge. Hiddleston certainly is edgy.
    I like tom for 007 honestly and like I said I am all for a black m or a female m or what ever same with a and money penny (- her being a guy) but I prefer bond to be white plain and simple .
  • Another thing, once you open the door for a black man, what will happen next?
    For the sake of political correctness, they'll give the role to an actor name Byung-Hunn Lee and after him to Irrfan Khan.

For God sake if it's not broken don't try to fix it.
This discussion has been closed.