Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

My dream choice at the moment for when Craig is done.

b72f9ef939f39155eaaf0fba90b71bfe.jpg

I would sooner have him as a villain! Have to say though that is a great photoshop of him as Bond though! :-bd
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I would sooner have him as a villain! Have to say though that is a great photoshop of him as Bond though! :-bd

I'm tempted to post this on Facebook to see if anyone falls for it (I'm sure some would!) and what their reactions would be. :P
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm tempted to post this on Facebook to see if anyone falls for it (I'm sure some would!) and what their reactions would be. :P

It may make the Red top newspaper brigade?!!! :)) Give it a go for a giggle!
  • Getafix wrote: »

I can certainly understand this desire as Ben is really an incredible contemp actor, and one of my favourites as well, but I can't really see him as Bond.

They're not going to cast him because I don't think he has the heart throb factor. Babs is very canny in knowing how to get the female (and gay) audience in.

Well, this is just one female's opinion so I don't know if it counts for anything, but I think he's the most attractive person that has come up so far. :)

That photoshopped picture sure is convincing.
    BC could certainly play the role, but I agree with an earlier post that he has qualities that suit him more in the role of villain.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2014 Posts: 16,330
    Getafix wrote: »
    I've still never even seen an episode and don't really know what it is.

If you're into shows like Moonlighting then Remington Steele is in a similar vain. I'd give Seasons 1-3 a watch but the other two can be skipped with no regrets.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CrabKey wrote: »
    BC could certainly play the role, but I agree with an earlier post that he has qualities that suit him more in the role of villain.

Yes. Cumbersomebitch would be an excellent Bond villain, but a terrible Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    http://variety.com/2014/film/global/international-star-you-should-know-emmett-scanlan-1201379295/#

Irish guy, and I haven't really seen anything he's in to be honest, but he seems like he could have the look and the physicality.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    CrabKey wrote: »

Yes. Cumbersomebitch would be an excellent Bond villain, but a terrible Bond.

My name is...
    my-name-is-khan-o.gif
    KAMAL KHAN!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    :))
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Ok Gerard Butler but not for future but before Dan was choosen, I see Olympus has fallen as him showing what he could have done. Physically his hand to hand combat movement. But I think his career choices let him down but had they continued on the old format he would have been a good follow on for Brosnan. Like to know your thoughts?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ok Gerard Butler but not for future but before Dan was choosen, I see Olympus has fallen as him showing what he could have done. Physically his hand to hand combat movement. But I think his career choices let him down but had they continued on the old format he would have been a good follow on for Brosnan. Like to know your thoughts?

Before Craig came on the scene I was hoping Butler would get it. However, having seen Craig in the role, and appreciating what can be done with Bond, and actually seeing Butler act since, I don't think he would have been 'as good'.

He could play Bond, but he wouldn't be that great at it. I think he himself made a comment about this a while back.

In a similar vein to how you put it (what could have been in 2005) I really thought Christian Bale would have been outstanding. It's such a shame the Bat got him first.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Butler would be a terrible Bond.
  • I could never understand why Rupert Friend was auditioned back in 2005. He was far too young, gaunt and even looked slightly effete. However these days he's an entirely different prospect and I've been very impressed with his work on Homeland this season. He's a very good actor with a solid body of work behind him but not too high profile for the role like say, Cavill, Fassbender and Hardy. It's this experience and his darker, crueler looks that I think gives him an edge over other up and coming young bucks like Dornan and Stevens. At 33 he has time on his side and at 6ft 1 there's not even any height quibbles. He just needs a bit more weight and a decent Bond haircut.
    Fassbender should get offered it, he's the perfect age, can act and has a track record. He fits the bill, i doubt they will go for a complete unknown. Craig is on for two more movies and that will take him through to at least 2017. So we are looking at someone for approximately a 2019 debut? Fassbender will be 42 in 2019. Maybe that is too old to begin? Idris Elba will be 47 in 2019, Bale will be 45 and Worthington 43 so unless we know of a young actor who will be 37 or 38 in 2019 willing to sign a 5 picture deal i'll stick with Fassbender.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Glenn wrote: »
    Fassbender should get offered it, he's the perfect age, can act and has a track record. He fits the bill, i doubt they will go for a complete unknown. Craig is on for two more movies and that will take him through to at least 2017. So we are looking at someone for approximately a 2019 debut? Fassbender will be 42 in 2019. Maybe that is too old to begin? Idris Elba will be 47 in 2019, Bale will be 45 and Worthington 43 so unless we know of a young actor who will be 37 or 38 in 2019 willing to sign a 5 picture deal i'll stick with Fassbender.

I'm starting to like Jai Courtney, who's a Tom Hardy clone, but much younger. Courtney will turn 33 in 2019. Robert Pattinson is the same age. I've seen his name brought up here and there...I'm on the fence with him.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/12/19/exclusive-sony-emails-reveal-studio-head-wants-idris-elba-for-the-next-james-bond.html

More nonsense from the Sony leaks. Elba is too old to play Bond after Craig and that's all there is too it.
    Another female opinion on Cumberbitch. He is about fhe least attractive person - to me, there is. But I know, he has build a female following. Plus, he seems so without any gender to me. Certainly not masculine...and that is the most important quality you should have for Bond.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    James Dornan anyone? Very good in the BBC show, The Fall. Similar build to Craig was pre-CR and the ladies love him apparently. His profile not that high at the moment so Babs and Co could probably get him cheap, although that may change when the 50 Shades movie is released.
    Jamie Bell? still young, talented, made smart film choices has worked with Dan in defiance and on Tintin cleans up well in a tux. Will be of right age if Dan goes after 25 and there looking at 26 around 2018/9 Already has a Bafta for best actor. If he wanted it I reckon Dan would throw his support behind him.
    James Dornan anyone? Very good in the BBC show, The Fall. Similar build to Craig was pre-CR and the ladies love him apparently. His profile not that high at the moment so Babs and Co could probably get him cheap, although that may change when the 50 Shades movie is released.

I started watching the fall recently and Dornan is good. He reminds me of Cavil looks wise with the beard and I hope 50 Shades doesn't hurt his career.

On another note I still want Gillian Anderson to appear in a Bond film.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,554
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Another female opinion on Cumberbitch. He is about fhe least attractive person - to me, there is. But I know, he has build a female following. Plus, he seems so without any gender to me. Certainly not masculine...and that is the most important quality you should have for Bond.

I'm with you, though with a male opinion. I find his looks to be too exotic for Bond. He's almost creepy looking, which was why he was a good choice to play Khan in Star Trek.
    Count me in as someone who doesn't understand the hyper female appeal of Cumberbatch. A very good actor, but to me rather prissy in interviews and weird looking. I can't see Barbara B. finding him the right fit for Bond.

I'm also really taken aback by this big push in certain media for Elba. He and his PR people are pushing very hard to get Bond and sadly so has Naomie Harris. Moore, Dalton, Broz and Craig have all been very classy about the lead up to getting the role, so I can't imagine EON finding Elba's agressive effort appealing while another actor is currently filming SP and still contracted for one more film. I've seen Elba interviewed and though he is a good actor, he comes off as an egomanic. Can't see how EON would replace Craig with someone almost the same age.

Amy Pascal and Sony will have no say on picking the next Bond. Pascal's days at Sony are numbered, and SP was probaby going to be Sony's last Bond film partnership anyway. This awful hack and all the damage it has possibly already done to SP has got to be the nail in the coffin of the EON/MGM/Sony partnership.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 163
    It will be tough for anyone to replace Daniel. He managed to take Bond in a new direction and I think the next actor to play 007 should be able to do the same. I personally like Tom Hardy, but I think his Bond would be just a less elegant version of Daniel's. Luke Evans could be more interesting, especially if they would take the action back to the 50's. Benedict Cumberbatch and Damian Lewis would be interesting as well, in a series of very dark and sinister Bond films. I think they'd make similar Bonds.

I just hope it's not Idris Elba or Henry Cavill. Those would be terrible choices in my opinion.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,554
    It will be tough for anyone to replace Daniel. He managed to take Bond in a new direction and I think the next actor to play 007 should be able to do the same. I personally like Tom Hardy, but I think his Bond would be just a less elegant version of Daniel's. Luke Evans could be more interesting, especially if they would take the action back to the 50's. Benedict Cumberbatch and Damian Lewis would be interesting as well, in a series of very dark and sinister Bond films. I think they'd make similar Bonds.

I just hope it's not Idris Elba or Henry Cavill. Those would be terrible choices in my opinion.

Interesting that you mention Damian Lewis, because I thought in some of the promotional posters for CR, Craig looked just like him.

il_340x270.496172488_2c87.jpg

HOMELAND-Damian-Lewis-as-Nicholas-Brody.jpg
    Agree that both Elba or Cavill would be really bad choices. I hope Craig does Bond 25, but if he walks after SP, or if SP falls far short of SF BO which could happen if it is bad and/or the jackals in the press attack it to get back at Sony, then I like Matthew Rhys. He's from Wales, and is brilliant in a terrific US spy series call The Americans. Only draw back is his age, about 40. Recasting is tough on EON as it is so risky so I think EON will go younger to insure the next Bond will last at least a decade of films. The next Bond is probably not on anyone's radar.
    TripAces wrote: »

Interesting that you mention Damian Lewis, because I thought in some of the promotional posters for CR, Craig looked just like him.

il_340x270.496172488_2c87.jpg

HOMELAND-Damian-Lewis-as-Nicholas-Brody.jpg

He would be too old. Latest leaked email is say Idris has Sonys blessing and has spoken to Barb Broccoli. Again he would be too old.
    Forget even age or colour. Casting Elba would be the mother of all stunt casting in the history of the series.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    smitty wrote: »
    Agree that both Elba or Cavill would be really bad choices. I hope Craig does Bond 25, but if he walks after SP, or if SP falls far short of SF BO which could happen if it is bad and/or the jackals in the press attack it to get back at Sony, then I like Matthew Rhys. He's from Wales, and is brilliant in a terrific US spy series call The Americans. Only draw back is his age, about 40. Recasting is tough on EON as it is so risky so I think EON will go younger to insure the next Bond will last at least a decade of films. The next Bond is probably not on anyone's radar.

I love the Americans. I've never gotten very much of a Bond vibe from Rhys. I'd be interested to see a screen test though. I think I'm too use to him with an American accent.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Forget even age or colour. Casting Elba would be the mother of all stunt casting in the history of the series.

Agreed. I'm not opposed to a non-white Bond actor. But they'd need to stand head and shoulders above the over candidates to make it more than a stunt.
    My problem with Elba has nothing to do with his race. Changing Bond's race is a complex issue but it could be done with the right actor. Elba is most definitely not the right actor. He will be 10-15 years to old for the part when recasting comes up. He is also obnoxiously conceited and said to be difficult. He is a good actor, but the last thing EON will tolerate in a Bond actor is a prima donna. Shooting and promoting Bonds for a Bond actor is really hard work for what could easily be 10 years. Moore, Dalton, Broz and Craig were all compliant and though very different men, they have all worked well inside EON's world. Elba is pushing hard for the role in the media and will run with Pascal's private email leak but Pascal's gush, given the SONY hack's serious damage to EON and SP, is like the kiss of death.