Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    British actor Jamie Dornan will take over from Craig. Mark my word.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AceHole wrote: »

I sure hope so. I've only seen him in the Fall, and he is great in it. He needs a little more meat on the bones, but he's got a certain edginess to him that would be great for a post-Craig Bond. I concur.

• Henry Cavill. I know he's already superman, but I have pictured him as Bond ever since I first saw him in the Tudors.

Hardy is a brilliant actor, so I'd be more than happy with him, but the tattoos bother me.
  • Come to think of it, maybe Pierce Brosnan's son Sean could do the job. I've never seen him act, but his appearance reminds me of Timothy Dalton (and his name of Sean Connery :D ).
  • 0101000101010001 Classified
    Isn't Henry Cavill American, though? Fassbender is one of my favourites, alongside Eddie Redmayne (who I could see as such a character).
  • 01010001 wrote: »
    Isn't Henry Cavill American, though? Fassbender is one of my favourites, alongside Eddie Redmayne (who I could see as such a character).

Nope, he's British. Hadn't thought of Fassbender yet, but he'd suit the role. (: I adore Eddie Redmayne, but he's too much of a boy (both in age and appearance) to take on Bond, in my opinion.
  • Chris Hemsworth. Or are Aussies still persona non grata? Did a decent English public school accent in Rush, and as physical as Craig.
    I know it'll never happen, but I want Christian Bale. Always felt he was stolen from us for Batman.

PS: Cavill was runner up to Craig for CR. In fact, Campbell wanted him as first choice, but Babs wanted Craig and won the argument. I'm happy because although Cavill is quite a looker, he has not demonstrated any real acting ability in anything I've seen him in, including Supes.
    bondjames wrote: »
    PS: Cavill was runner up to Craig for CR. In fact, Campbell wanted him as first choice, but Babs wanted Craig and won the argument. I'm happy because although Cavill is quite a looker, he has not demonstrated any real acting ability in anything I've seen him in, including Supes.

Agreed. Cavill is not on a par with Craig (or Dalton) in this regard, he comes across as far too weak an actor imo.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching The Fall. He looks nailed on to me as well.
    If Bond25 comes out in 2018, then Bond 26 wont appear until 2021 and Dornan will be 39.
    NicNac wrote: »

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching The Fall. He looks nailed on to me as well.
    If Bond25 comes out in 2018, then Bond 26 wont appear until 2021 and Dornan will be 39.

If he doesn't get casted in some major iconic role before 2020 then he may well be one of the front runners for 007...
    Fingers crossed Warner Bros. don't taint him as some dark superhero before then.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883

If he doesn't get casted in some major iconic role before 2020 then he may well be one of the front runners for 007...
    Fingers crossed Warner Bros. don't taint him as some dark superhero before then.

That's so true. The competition for EON is fierce these days, so much more than when Craig or Brosnan was cast.

Marvel in particular are scooping up everyone they can find for their franchises and with DC in the mix as well, EON has to be on their toes in spotting the next potential star before they do.
  • Fassbender is only 37 right now. Craig was 38 when CR came out, so I'd really like to see Fassbender get a good run in as Bond!
  • AceHole wrote: »

Isn't Dornan set to play in a kind of smutty movie franchise though? Don't know if it will be a big thing, but it seems too late to back out of it. Hope his career keeps on track in spite of it, because I agree with all of you that he was great in the Fall. :)

• My dream choice at the moment for when Craig is done.

b72f9ef939f39155eaaf0fba90b71bfe.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yeah he'll be too busy creating enchantments using the eye of Agomotto.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Jai Courtney? Please... He's an uncharismatic beefcake joke. Similar to Sam Worthington.

Nicholas Hoult does not have the screen presence imo.

Jamie Dornan is the one I'd go for. Or Fassbender or Bale for a more mature interpretation.
  • Benedict Cumberbatch is too posh and wimpy looking imo. Bond has a posh accent went to public school and everything but he never really fit in there (didn't he get expelled?). Remember what he said in TMWTGG? At heart, he is and always will he a "Scottish peasant". Benedict Cumberbatch doesn't fit that at all. He's not rough enough. Good fit for Sherlock Holmes but I can't see him as James Bond at all.

Although I suppose you could say the same about Roger Moore as well (too posh and wimpy) and he turned out great, so maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said before, I'd like Matt Ryan to do it. He's a good actor and he's very charismatic and he's handsome but not pretty, he looks really rugged. He'd have to bulk up a bit and hide his Welsh accent but I think he'd be quite good and I think he might be a possible choice because he's gaining fame (with Constantine) but he's not too famous, he's not too big for the part.
    Benedict Cumberbatch - that's never going to happen.
  • Getafix wrote: »
    Benedict Cumberbatch - that's never going to happen.

Not anymore. He'll be too well known come 2020. He still is my dream choice however.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,425
    The way the series is going, it's no longer out of the question that they'll cast a very well known actor in the main role. The cast keeps on getting more and more stellar.

I do hope they stick with the tradition of casting relatively unknown or B-list actors though. It's nice to have that sense of newness - that you don't know quite what to expect.
  • I think for the Bond character himself they will continue to cast relatively unknown actors. It's okay to populate the roles surrounding Bond with more reputable actors but for Bond, it will be very hard to see him as Bond if it's somebody we've seen in other things before.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger Moore was a pretty big star when cast as Bomb. The biggest of the bunch, except for David Niven.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Roger Moore was a pretty big star when cast as Bomb. The biggest of the bunch, except for David Niven.

True. But mainly from TV I think. Well known but not a 'big' movie star.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Yeah, and you could even say that of Pierce Brosnan coming from Remington Steele. Film audiences aren't going to be as familiar with TV stars as they are with movie stars.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hmmm but on the whole movie stars aren't like how they were once upon a time. These days it's movie stars trying to land a tv show/series or something. The production values of tv shows from locations to writing to costumes to directing on the whole have come such a long way.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    My dream choice at the moment for when Craig is done.

I can certainly understand this desire as Ben is really an incredible contemp actor, and one of my favourites as well, but I can't really see him as Bond.

I can certainly understand this desire as Ben is really an incredible contemp actor, and one of my favourites as well, but I can't really see him as Bond.

They're not going to cast him because I don't think he has the heart throb factor. Babs is very canny in knowing how to get the female (and gay) audience in.
    Getafix wrote: »

Yeah, and you could even say that of Pierce Brosnan coming from Remington Steele. Film audiences aren't going to be as familiar with TV stars as they are with movie stars.

I always felt that Brosnan was pretty much unknown in the UK before Bond. I don't remember any one ever talking about Remmington Steel. I've still never even seen an episode and don't really know what it is. As result I went into GE with no preconceptions - I really knew nothing about Brosnan at all. Hadn't even heard of him before he was cast as Bond.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Getafix wrote: »

They're not going to cast him because I don't think he has the heart throb factor. Babs is very canny in knowing how to get the female (and gay) audience in.

Really? I'd say all he's got is the heartthrob factor. Despite his unique looks he's become a bit of a sex icon, and there have been a few articles I've read about his casting as Turing has brought in the female and gay audience (although of course Turing being a gay icon helps too).
    It's all the things the Bond character is *besides* the heartthrob quality that Ben doesn't have, I think. He'd make a sweet Gustav Graves though ;)