Crikey, I'm a dad! Now, which 007 film has the lowest age limit??

AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
edited November 2014 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,727
Have just become a father, my son (Marcus) arrived last week, and I'm itching to introduce him to Bond-dom asap (met with dissaproval all around from my wife & mother in law :)) ), so which of the films could you show a young kid? And from what age onwards..?

I'm leaning towards age 9-10 with TSWLM, MR and TLD, or are these choices misguided?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Congratulations and welcome to fatherhood!

The kids love Roger. TWSLM would be great starting point to ease him in.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2014 Posts: 3,332
    I was 9 when I saw my first Bond (GoldenEye). I know my parents were borderline uncomfortable with me watching between title sequences and the more violent nature. TSWLM and MR are good, MR might be a bit more appropriate.

TLD is safe but you risk boring the kid early as it is harder for a kid to appreciate TLDs greatness. You need one with huge stunts, big spectacle, over the top villains. YOLT would be good too.

Congrats :)
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Well done, now you have a new hobby. I am sure we'll see less of you around here in some time.
    As for Bond, I suggest CR 67 for toddlers, lots of colors and happy music!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I was 6 when I saw GoldenEye. It was marvelous.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Congratulations @AceHole! Wait 'till he's at least six, then go with TSWLM, that's what I say.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Congratulations @AceHole! Wait 'till he's at least six, then go with TSWLM, that's what I say.
    Easy! don't scare him with that Jaws Reveal! ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Congratulations @AceHole! I'm afraid I might have been too precociously introduced to Bond films. My mother and my grandfather are both huge fans and their idea of age appropriate entertainment was unusual (included Allô Allô and Carry on...) but hey, I didn't turn out too bad ;) Anyway, my earliest tv memory is TSWLM (only found out years later when I re-watched it), I must have been around 3 or 4 years old. I don't remember if I watched any other Bond before that but my mother said that was probable @-)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Congratulations great to see the next generation of Bond fans. :)
    @Acehole my congrats for you and your missus on becoming parents, may your sleep be plenty and the kid a happy one. For both your sakes. :D ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Congrats! :) Wonderful news.

A Bond film for the youngest ... ahh, any Moore film would do except TMWTGG, I think. TSWLM would be a treat. Your son will simply absorb Bond while just being around you as you watch them, no worries. Just keep an eye on when you watch LTK or a few others around him. But mostly, just have fun with him. Hard to go wrong with the Moore films as being family friendly.
    AceHole wrote:
    Have just become a father, my son (Marcus) arrived last week, and I'm itching to introduce him to Bond-dom asap (met with dissaproval all around from my wife & mother in law :)) ), so which of the films could you show a young kid? And from what age onwards..?

I'm leaning towards age 9-10 with TSWLM, MR and TLD, or are these choices misguided?

Congrats on becoming a father! I am going to let life decide in a way with my 2! They have their own interests and they both know i am a Bond nut! :D If they ask me can they watch one? I will be chuffed, however i will influence the choice. Having said that they do ask me alot of questions on it. Considering my boy is 9 and my daughter is 7!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Congrats ..I'm a dad of three..oldest 10. All love Bond... They like Pierce... except my oldest likes the old looking one (Daniel Craig) lol
  • I watched a bunch of the movies when I was 8 or 9. Dr. No, Goldfinger, The Man With the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, and all the Brosnans were tolerable for me then. The only one I don't remember watching was Licence to Kill, which makes sense.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I believe that the first Bond I watched as a child was Diamonds Are Forever, which is understandable.
    So I would suggest that, but also You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker.

I was also going to suggest Tomorrow Never Dies, but then I remembered that raunchy scene with Paris.
    I was also going to suggest Tomorrow Never Dies, but then I remembered that raunchy scene with Paris.
    And the little Danish.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    And the little Danish.

Indeed!

But saying that, there are also some pretty violent scenes in that release, most notably Carver's demise, the shooting of Kaufman, the goon falling into the printing press etc.
    All I know is they gave me what I wanted. :D
  • Disagree about TSWLM as Jaws is very scary in that one. Mind you, not sure a one-year old can follow anything really.

I'd go for YOLT as it seems to have the least violence in it mostly, it is quite cartoony. GF and DAF would also get a vote for that reason.
    The majority of Roger Moore films are very "child friendly". I would push for LALD or AVTAK
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited November 2014 Posts: 8,009
    Congratulations on becoming a father, @Ace!

I was 3 when I saw GoldenEye. I suppose you could get away with most of them.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,236
    Ignore.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 317
    As you mentioned MR would be a decent one. The most violent part was either when Corinne meets her demise by way of Drax's hounds (they cut away quickly) or when Chang got thrown through the glass and on to a piano. Drax's death was about the least violent death I can think of, a horrible way to go no doubt but pretty tame.

Ohh ya, and grats !
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    which Bond film would be the most child friendly?... hmm.. thats tough - not only from a violence perspective, but also a sex perspective as well - not that the Bond films have had graphic portrayals of either, but obviously some are more tame than others... but yet, also have enough action to keep a youngster entertained...

i would say either GF, LALD, TSWLM, MR, OP, AVTAK, TLD, or TND .... i believe these ones have the right balance of each that would keep a youngster involved, but not be too graphic either violently or sexually.
    Everybody always says MR is child friendly but Corinne Dufours demise has always stayed with me ever since the first time I saw it in cinema.
    I would disagree with AVTAK. The scene where the KGB agent gets shredded in the oil pipe and Zorin massacring the mine workers are very violent indeed.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2014 Posts: 4,399
    I would disagree with AVTAK. The scene where the KGB agent gets shredded in the oil pipe and Zorin massacring the mine workers are very violent indeed.

its no different than Bond and the soldiers killing each other in the Liparus at the end of TSWLM.. with Bond, you're always going to have to put up with some amount of violence... as an adult we understand the malice behind such an act that Zorin commits - but a little child may not be able to process that yet.. to him, it would be just a man shooting a bunch of people... i would be more concerned about how graphic a scene like that could be - and honestly, that scene in AVTAK is pretty tame when it comes to graphic violence.. there is more blood spilled in TB from people getting eaten by sharks and shot with harpoons than AVTAK..... i would venture to guess that the dogs attacking Corinne in MR would be more violent and "scaring" to a a small child than any scene in AVTAK..
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    I think the difference with scenes such the one in TSWLM is that it is all part of a frantic set piece, where you only get glimpses of people getting shot- only to be replaced by a different shot of a spectacular explosion or something of the sort. It's all very watered down.

With the AVTAK massacre, you've got two guys slaughtering screaming and shouting men with two Uzis, laughing maniacally whilst doing so. You've got shots of the miners trying to escape from the water, only to be electrocuted, you've one scene where blood (if only subtly) spurts from a miners chest while he is patted with bullets. Not to mention Zorin kicking off anyone who attempts to climb up the bank, and all the bodies floating in the water. It's all pretty dark stuff.

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I think YOLT might be the frontrunner for now... but can't really see any Bond movie being ok for a child under 9 or so
  • I think we are missing the main factor here.

A baby would be interested in its milk source mainly.

So, which Bond girls have the biggest tits...
    I think we are missing the main factor here.
    A baby would be interested in its milk source mainly.
    So, which Bond girls have the biggest @#*&;...
    Stop dragging things down to your own level, it's immature son.