Connery bored in YOLT? Where? I don't see it.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Murdock wrote: »
    I didn't feel like he was "Bond" in YOLT. It felt more like Sean Connery as himself in a James Bond movie.
    When was the last time you watched it, Wes?
    IMHO, his more relaxed performance gave us a more literary Bond, albeit in a very cinematic setting...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I didn't feel like he was "Bond" in YOLT. It felt more like Sean Connery as himself in a James Bond movie.
    About a year ago or less. I've been on Bond burnout for a while. It's why I can never do a proper Bondathon. :))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Some moments in YOLT where Connery feels pretty bored to me include his fight with the wrestler at Osato's and his walking into Osato's office the next day. Also, when he glides down Aki's trap, his eyes barely manage to communicate surprise. Connery's facial muscles in this film work at only half their capacity and throughout most of the film he carries a particularly dull smile on his face that hardly conceals his desire to get it over with as quickly as possible and at the smallest energy expense possible. When he's supposed to be angry, say over Aki's death or after Blofeld exposed him, he simply presses his lips together but that's it. There's nothing of the stamina from the first couple of films. Remember Connery in M's office after Jill's death in GF? He could hardly maintain himself in the presence of a red tape lecture from M; as if every bone in his body wanted to jump out of the suit of discipline and get after GF for brutal and barbaric payback. That kind of suppressed aggression is completely lacking from YOLT. Lastly, when Bond manoeuvres Little Nellie, come on, how many takes are we supposed to think they spent on that? Like Connery sat down, they rolled the cameras, he dropped a few lines with surprisingly little effort and obviously with very little interest, gave them a few close-up shots and then walked away for the next scene. While Connery was at the centre of things in DN and FRWL, he was only peripherally involved in YOLT. In several scenes, other cast members, including Charles Gray, Tetsuro Tamba and Donald Pleasance, downright outshined him. People may say what they want about the likes of Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan, but they always went for central focus in their scenes.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Some moments in YOLT where Connery feels pretty bored to me include his fight with the wrestler at Osato's and his walking into Osato's office the next day.
    Sorry man, no way. I usually agree with most of what you say, but here I'll take you to task.
    when he glides down Aki's trap, his eyes barely manage to communicate surprise.
    Hello? Blue screen! Wanna play rear projection jeopardy where the stakes can really increase?
    When he's supposed to be angry, say over Aki's death.... he simply presses his lips together but that's it.
    Oh, and he cried over Jill's body then? Nope.
    Lastly, when Bond manoeuvres Little Nellie, come on, how many takes are we supposed to think they spent on that? Like Connery sat down, they rolled the cameras, he dropped a few lines
    He was supremely confident in her abilities as directed by him.
    While Connery was at the centre of things in DN and FRWL, he was only peripherally involved in YOLT.
    Respectfully DD, WTH are you on about?? Connery was the movie.
    Look, I'm aware that Connery had an intent to leave, and that his heart may not have been fully in it, but that IMO only makes his performance BETTER. It's less intense (my only ever problem with Dalton- the balloon popping intensity), and more a product of a man (agent) getting progressively more tired of his profession. It SO works for me that I can forgive many other aspects of the movie I didn't used to (the overall SPECTRE economics, the short Blofeld, the drop in the ocean-cam, the bad lava matte).
    Dude, have some fun with it!
    :))

OMG, I'm USUALLY defending Brosnan...!!!!
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    In the wrestler fight I always quite liked his "cheers" line. For me, while he gets a few good lines in the film, there's just something not quite right about Connery in YOLT. Perhaps its more his noticeably puffier face. I do kind of agree also about Henderson upstaging him too.

Bored or not his laughable attempt at being a Japanese fisherman is fairly hard to ignore.

Personally however I think the ultimate "Connery looking bored" moment comes not from Twice but from DAF when he says "a vast supply of diamonds controlled by an expert in light refraction". I don't believe he's even remotely invested in the situation there.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    In the wrestler fight I always quite liked his "cheers" line. For me, while he gets a few good lines in the film, there's just something not quite right about Connery in YOLT. Perhaps its more his noticeably puffier face. I do kind of agree also about Henderson upstaging him too.

Bored or not his laughable attempt at being a Japanese fisherman is fairly hard to ignore.

Personally however I think the ultimate "Connery looking bored" moment comes not from Twice but from DAF when he says "a vast supply of diamonds controlled by an expert in light refraction". I don't believe he's even remotely invested in the situation there.

I have always thought that myself.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,043
    IMHO, his more relaxed performance gave us a more literary Bond, albeit in a very cinematic setting...

My point exactly, I've got Bond burn out as well after 37 years of watching these films there are certain entries I doubt I'll ever watch again and I have the 50th Blu ray set.

YOLT has one of Barry's best scores, some of Adam's most impressive set design and superb cinematography but after that I'm hard pressed to see anything to recommend it. Funny really loved it when I was a kid but now moments just make me groan.

Lets face it in the same way us Craig fans will make allowances, Connery and previous era fans will make excuses for even the worst Messiah Sean had to offer. The difference is Craig gives 110 % all the time and loves playing Bond something I doubt Connery actually did. Craig approached it like another job but grew to enjoy it and each time strives to do better.

He stopped playing Bond after TB and after that played Sean Connery and even more so in DAF as for NSNA that was just a travesty.

I really wish I could wear the rose tinted specs of nostalgia like some of you but more than half of the entries in the series just don't have the same effect that they did once upon a time and everything Connery did after TB is certainly in that bracket.

I'm thankful that Craig reignited my passion in Bond again but I've not doubt somewhere down the line my interest will wain again, I can't just follow these films because they have James Bond 007 emblazoned on the poster. I personally like this direction with some reservations and have no desire for Bond to descend into the type of shenanigans of the late Connery, Moore or Brozzer era's thank you.
  • There are lumbering moments. It's the film, it's a Moore film where the idea is that the hero is a superhero and never really in much peril. Connery seems to be going for that much of the time, and Moore was better at that approach.

When we see Bond follow Aki away from the sumo wrestlers, it's a fall asleep before the film even begins moment. Others persist though Connery is quite sweet with Aki and a bit livelier with Karin Dor, his energy levels go up. But at the end, with Kissy, there is little chemistry there and I hate the whole sexist 'face like a pig' gag. But the Japanese girls' diminutive physique makes Connery seem even more lumbering and overweight.

I liked Connery in DAF, he is great with the comedy lines so his performance comes alive for me.
    Know what I find strange? This is a site dedicated to being a fan of James Bond, yet any time I toss accolades at a particular film or actor, out come the troops to shoot that film or actor down in flames. :-O

Okay, I'm broken down now. I'll agree with the consensus; CR & SF are the ONLY good Bond movies and Craig is the ONLY good Bond actor... ^:)^
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Okay, I'm broken down now. I'll agree with the consensus; CR & SF are the ONLY good Bond movies and Craig is the ONLY good Bond actor... ^:)^

10797125254_13e6f22ee9_o-1.jpg

"I have the consensus in my sight, ready to shoot down."

;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Look some of us have had to endure a whole thread of SF being torn to pieces and then others where it get bought up how incompetent it supposedly is. So if you think YOLT is going to get an easy time after all that you've got to be kidding.

Shardlake wrote: »
    if you think YOLT is going to get an easy time after all that you've got to be kidding.

:D
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Shardlake wrote: »
    if you think YOLT is going to get an easy time after all that you've got to be kidding.

:D

Lovely stuff. ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    And my poor A View to a Kill...No love, no compassion... :-<
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Connery was not bored in YOLT. Quite the opposite, he was stressed, sick and tired.
    Connery was not bored in YOLT. Quite the opposite, he was stressed, sick and tired.
    Oh, well, that explains it then.
    I guess Dalton was also in LTK.
    And Moore in FYEO.
    And Brosnan in TND.
    I like my Bond actors stressed, sick and tired!
    DN gave us Connery after waking up: full of the good early-morning vibes of someone who has slept well. FRWL showed the same lively Connery with an extra dose of caffeine in his blood: at top capacity. GF delivered Connery at noon: hungry and therefore partially absent during lunch time, but certainly no less entertaining. TB had Connery slightly struggling with that typical afternoon fatigue: a little siesta might have done wonders but the bosses wouldn't have it. And because of that, the YOLT Connery just came home after a hard day's work, only to face a few more daunting tasks before going to bed again. Things got nasty that evening though, and so Connery really needed the sleep to cope with a hangover. Another guy took care of the night shift, but the next morning Connery was back in business. Still somewhat sick from last night however, he could barely stomach a few hours of something resembling work, but by noon he'd throw in the towel, go home and take many weeks off.
    OMG, @DarthDimi that was absolutely awesome! So funny! Not agreeing (entirely) mind you, but hilarious all the same!
    DN gave us Connery after waking up: full of the good early-morning vibes of someone who has slept well. FRWL showed the same lively Connery with an extra dose of caffeine in his blood: at top capacity. GF delivered Connery at noon: hungry and therefore partially absent during lunch time, but certainly no less entertaining. TB had Connery slightly struggling with that typical afternoon fatigue: a little siesta might have done wonders but the bosses wouldn't have it. And because of that, the YOLT Connery just came home after a hard day's work, only to face a few more daunting tasks before going to bed again. Things got nasty that evening though, and so Connery really needed the sleep to cope with a hangover. Another guy took care of the night shift, but the next morning Connery was back in business. Still somewhat sick from last night however, he could barely stomach a few hours of something resembling work, but by noon he'd throw in the towel, go home and take many weeks off.

Great post. Loved the "another guy to take over the night shift" part.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,816
    Oh, well, that explains it then.
    I guess Dalton was also in LTK.
    And Moore in FYEO.
    And Brosnan in TND.
    I like my Bond actors stressed, sick and tired!

I imagine that the real James Bond would be all of these things on a mission anyhow. ;)
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I imagine that the real James Bond would be all of these things on a mission anyhow. ;)
    "The real James Bond"?
    Ummm... there's something I think you should know... :-\"
  • Connery was not bored in YOLT. Quite the opposite, he was stressed, sick and tired.

I think we can add downright pissed off to that list. I think that was about the time he despised Saltzman.

I agree with @Birdleson. There's a lack of that sparkle. Something is missing. Perhaps the intensity. He's not bad in it, but I've always thought EVERYONE acknowledged that it wasn't to the of the previous 4 turns.
  • Connery was not bored in YOLT. Quite the opposite, he was stressed, sick and tired.

I think we can add downright pissed off to that list. I think that was about the time he despised Saltzman.

I agree with @Birdleson. There's a lack of that sparkle. Something is missing. Perhaps the intensity. He's not bad in it, but I've always thought EVERYONE acknowledged that it wasn't to the of the previous 4 turns.
    "The real James Bond"?
    Ummm... there's something I think you should know... :-\"

Well that was rather ambiguously worded, so to set the record straight I simply meant it's what James Bond would have perhaps felt like himself at times if he were a real life secret agent and a real life human being. That sound better?
    it's what James Bond would have perhaps felt like himself at times if he were a real life secret agent and a real life human being. That sound better?
    Ha ha, yeah, just yankin' your chain, bro!
    ;)
    it's what James Bond would have perhaps felt like himself at times if he were a real life secret agent and a real life human being. That sound better?
    Ha ha, yeah, just yankin' your chain, bro!
    ;)

I know, but I do trip over my words sometimes! :))
  • It seems to me that we are approaching this question from an either/or perspective: either Connery is underplaying his role because he’d rather not be doing it at all, or the film is flawless and critics are just picking nits that aren’t really there. Having just seen the film again last night I’d like to propose an alternative view: YOLT the film is indeed tremendously entertaining...but the production has some significant weaknesses that must be acknowledged, and Connery’s performance is fully in keeping with both the strengths and weaknesses of this production.

YOLT the film is the first Eon production to significantly discard its roots: the original Fleming novel. This decision removes some of the most compelling material in the book (Dr. Shatterhand’s Garden of Death) and instead pushes forward one of the most unconvincing visuals of the movie: Connery “turning Japanese.” While Fleming took pains to vary the construction of his later novels in order to avoid repeating a successful formula (with considerably mixed results: TSWLM being narrated by the book’s leading lady , OHMSS ending in Bond’s marriage and his wife being killed shortly thereafter, and YOLT’s fascination with Japanese culture) the films chose to become mired in the formula at this point, so much so that YOLT the film is the most parodied of all the Bond movies (see most notably Austin Powers.) I think it self evident that YOLT the film suffers from a certain creative complacency. Various video monitors such as the one in Aki’s car or another in Blofeld’s main control room show Bond scenes that clearly no camera ought to be in place to catch; instead, he is seeing material that the audience has just seen from an “omniscient” point of view and the filmmakers are indulging in some creative slight of hand by having Bond see this material too. Helga Brandt is very clearly Fiona Volpe brought back to life and given a new name. If Karin Dor had been allowed to keep her natural hair color and Helga had been presented in BOND #8 rather than the very next film in the series after TB, this bit of creative laziness would not have been so obvious…as it is, even Miss Brandt’s healthy chest cannot hide the blatancy of the formula at work in her very creation for this film.

Let me stress at this point that YOLT the film does have some very pleasing elements: Ken Adams’ design of the volcano hideout is a masterpiece; John Barry’s score one of his most evocative, the casting of many of the supporting characters (such as Tiger Tanaka and Dikko Henderson) is impeccable. I even understand and accept the need to alter some of Fleming’s original plotting as OHMSS had not yet been filmed and the future Mrs. Bond had not yet been killed. I merely point out that at this point in the series, the Bond formula tends to take precedence over originality in plotting, and this is exactly the sort of situation that Fleming himself took pains to avoid.

Which brings us, finally, to the question of Connery’s performance in this film. I find it unsurprising that the creative complacency already noted in much of the rest of this production might find an echo in some of the work presented by that film’s star. As others (such as @chrisisall and @NicNac) have noted, Connery’s work with his costars is without fault. Indeed, Connery’s reputation among other actors has always been one of unfailing generosity in this regard. But when he is alone on the Blue Screen…as in the fight with four Spectre helicopters against Little Nellie…I’m sorry, but in the middle of my most recent viewing of the film, my cell phone did indeed ring. When I answered, Sir Sean’s voice came through the ether: “Shorry, but here’s my performansh in this schene. Jusht phoning it in, y‘know?”

Well said old boy!
    Well said old boy!

Seconded, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs! Excellent material there!
    As others (such as @chrisisall and @NicNac) have noted, Connery’s work with his costars is without fault.
    And that's the main reason I love the movie. The blue screen stuff is a bit lame anyway, and if Connery fizzled a little on those, no big loss IMHO. The cool factor is just so high in YOLT that I can forgive much, including the lack of originality...
    ^:)^