"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Blimey! Well done to Burton for knocking out QPR! =D> And Leyton Orient for beating Villa! =D>
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Football is a waste of leather, imo.
  • RC7RC7

Synthetic fibres have replaced leather these days. That is a fact.
    RC7 wrote: »

Synthetic fibres have replaced leather these days. That is a fact.

Oh well, a waste of synthetic fibre then. That is a fact imo.
    I hope that Van Gaal will be sacked soon (not a United fan)

With that said I plan on betting on United against Burnley, they have to win one right ?
  • RC7RC7
    dragonsky wrote: »

Why?
  • RC7RC7
    Chelsea with their inevitable Group of Dearth. They might as well just give them a pass to the knockouts each season.

Decent draw for Liverpool, prestige tie plus four winnable games.

Arsenal will find it tricky, I imagine. While they have every chance of qualifying, they could just as easily blow it.

City with a tough group again. CSKA could prove tricky, particularly in Moscow.

Predictions :-

Chelsea - cruise through and qualify at earliest opportunity after a series of unremarkable matches.

Liverpool - qualify, presumably in second, but have every chance of securing the group if they can pull off a big win at Anfield against Real. Should have qualification sewn up with games to spare.

Arsenal - stumble into the very last game needing a win, but at risk of an away goal sending them out. Could go either way. (Depends on which Dortmund team turns up this year).

City - Will probably make it tricky for themselves but qualify after taking vital points off Bayern.

For the first time in a while I wouldn't write off all four progressing, but at least three with Arsenal most at risk.
    dragonsky wrote: »

Why?

Faen Gal in Norwegian=Devil Crazy. What a name. Sack him.
    Chelsea with their inevitable Group of Dearth. They might as well just give them a pass to the knockouts each season.

Decent draw for Liverpool, prestige tie plus four winnable games.

Arsenal will find it tricky, I imagine. While they have every chance of qualifying, they could just as easily blow it.

City with a tough group again. CSKA could prove tricky, particularly in Moscow.

Predictions :-

Chelsea - cruise through and qualify at earliest opportunity after a series of unremarkable matches.

Liverpool - qualify, presumably in second, but have every chance of securing the group if they can pull off a big win at Anfield against Real. Should have qualification sewn up with games to spare.

Arsenal - stumble into the very last game needing a win, but at risk of an away goal sending them out. Could go either way. (Depends on which Dortmund team turns up this year).

City - Will probably make it tricky for themselves but qualify after taking vital points off Bayern.

For the first time in a while I wouldn't write off all four progressing, but at least three with Arsenal most at risk.

And just to add to all this news? Norwich are away at Shrewsbury in the 3rd round of the Capital One Cup! W/C 22nd September!!! If ya interested? :)) ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bloody hell, I am feeling confident Arsenal can finish 1st of their group. COYG!

Remember when they ended up 3rd in group with Juve and Shakthar ? :D
    It will be interesting to see how balotelli and di maria play for their new clubs.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Kagawa going back to Dortmund? He was one of only 2 things I liked about Man Utd. Now Chicharito is the last one standing. :(
    The most interesting thing about the Champions League draw is how similar it is to last year's. Bayern/City, Arsenal/Dortmund, Barca/Ajax, Porto/Shaktar, Chelsea/Schalke in the same group yet again... Coincidence?
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »
    Coincidence?

Yes.

These things are much more frequent in the CL because of seeding. When/if they change the rules to CL holders and league winners being in Pot 1, runners up 2 etc it will change the dynamic. It's still likely, however, it's always been that way. Teams go through periods of drawing/playing the same opposition. Man Utd used to draw Galatasaray quite frequently then suddenly didn't play them again for a decade. Just the way it goes. Who can forget Chelsea-Liverpool playing each other 4-5 times a season for two or three years?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Seeding regardless, it is indeed a peculiar coincidence. Yes, I believe it's a coincidence too, but no one can deny it's a strange one...
    Man Utd vs Burnley ended 0-0... lol.
    Gary Monk manager of the month
    Top of the league
    Oh how I love being a swansea fan :\">
    Bet we are still not on first on match of the day ;)
    lol united :)) :)) :))
    Isn't it weird how things come full circle. Di Maria grew up in a coal shed, he then became a star footballer at the Santiago Bernabeu, now he's gone back to a coal shed.
  • RC7RC7
    Sammm04 wrote: »
    Isn't it weird how things come full circle. Di Maria grew up in a coal shed, he then became a star footballer at the Santiago Bernabeu, now he's gone back to a coal shed.

MEGALOLZ!
    What a game between Everton and Chelsea :-O
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Stunning win for Chelsea against Everton. Love it.
    Then finding out that Man Utd were held to a draw. Well thats the icing on the cake.
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote: »
    Stunning win for Chelsea against Everton. Love it.
    Then finding out that Man Utd were held to a draw. Well thats the icing on the cake.

Aren't you a Chelsea fan?

Sounds like a great game. Need to watch the highlights later. Big loss for City too.
    6-3! It was only 2-1 when I checked, and that was in the 61st minute. I hate Chelsea more than anything in life (I mean that literally), but I've got to give them credit, they have a great team and have certainly got off to a flying start, so I'll give them credit where credit's due.
    Next up for my boys is chelski sept 13th
    Bloody international break here we go again
    largo2 wrote: »
    Bet we are still not on first on match of the day ;)

I bet your right too Largo! Still it is a brilliant run you boys are on! :-bd
    Early days its a long season Man United will improve [-O<
    The balotelli's are playing tonight. :)

Ballotells-2.jpg