Scottish Indepedence and Sir Sean

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    As i work for Royal Mail? What would they do regards to a postal service too?!

Who cares, if they want to leave it's their mess to clean up!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

You will get a much shorter route.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Always look on the bright side, eh TF? :))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes. And why so bitter about a breakup? I know, your English hearts will get broken. You feel that those cheap Scottish whores do not love you anymore. But you can still be friends.

We Norwegian whores broke up with Sweden in 1905. We are the bestest friends now. Unless they talk behind our backs.
    After last night's bloody awful closing ceremony to the Commonwealth Games (formally known as Sports Day For The Countries That England Used To Own), I'm hoping Scotland now vote 'YES'. ;-)
    Yes. And why so bitter about a breakup? I know, your English hearts will get broken. You feel that those cheap Scottish whores do not love you anymore. But you can still be friends.

We Norwegian whores broke up with Sweden in 1905. We are the bestest friends now. Unless they talk behind our backs.

To be honest its the leader Alex Salmond - he will be interfering where he shouldn't. He's a regular streetfighter,

I live in England, my wife is English, but I have to say, I would vote yes to Scottish independence if I could. Different people, different nation, different country. That's how I see it anyway.

That said, I don't think the Yes will win.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

:)) That is very true!

=)) Superb and sounds good to me!!! :-bd
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I live in England, my wife is English, but I have to say, I would vote yes to Scottish independence if I could. Different people, different nation, different country. That's how I see it anyway.

That said, I don't think the Yes will win.

Ladbrokes strongly agree with you, they currently show odds of Yes at 1/4 and No as 6/1. Their political bets are usually known to be fairly accurate. I hope they're right about this one too.
    I knew this would happen after the Commonwealth games

Our country could get smaller
    First blood to the 'No' campaign after Salmond and Darling's TV debate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28673046

The odds on Scotland gaining independence are growing all the time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can anyone of you wonderful folks tell me where Scotland stands on European unity? ;-)
    They won't become independent. The opinion polls have been in favour of the "No" vote in almost every single instalment, and even the undecided cannot rectify the difference in most of them, and half of them will probably say No anyway.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    And to be fair, I thought last nights debate was equally balanced. I don't think either campaign has gained, as much as the Yes campaign like to brag otherwise.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Dragonpol wrote: »

What a bizarre question? Royal Mail is private company - it would be for Royal Mail to decide how it managed its services in rump UK and Scotland. Probably, they'd either agree with the two governments to retain a single pricing mecahanism, or they introduce the European postal rate for mailing between the two countries. Either way, no biggy.

And what's all this chippy English antagonism towards Alex Salmond? Amongst the less blinkered, he's widely seen as one of the most effective and intelligent politicians in the UK. If only he was a unionist - he's just the kind of politician that the UK needs at a senior level. Head and shoulders above the vast majority of the current UK cabinet.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 479
    Most of the Yes vote is supported purely by nationalists who are clearly racist towards everyone else in the UK. He goes on about electing their own people, who they vote for. People in Hampshire don't always get who they vote for, people in California don't always get who they vote for. It is the collective vote of ONE NATION that counts. The UK is ONE NATION, not four different nations, we are all bound together in our historic Union. This has made me think of the remembrance of World War I. Many brave Scottish soldiers died in all the wars that they fought with their fellow countrymen. One Hundred years later, this man is trying to undo all the sacrifices they made for their country, not Scotland, the UK. Just because the Scots do not always get the Labour Party into government, it does not make them special. People in Yorkshire do not want independence, and they will not get it, why should Scotland want it.

The UK is ONE NATION, not four different nations

Then it should be called the Three Nations Tournament.
    the Polls are getting tighter. Really hoping the Scots have the courage to vote yes. Would be good news for England as well - an opportunity to address the dominance of London and rebalance the political system and economy more to the benefit of the English regions. Hopefully we'll have a reunited Ireland before long. That will I expect leave England and Wales in some kind of rump union, with Wales increasingly running its own affairs.
    If they should go? It will affect all sorts of things?
    Yep - defence, Trident, UK/England's international standing, economics, political balance (much more likely that a rump UK will have a Conservative government, in the short term at least). All sorts of stuff. Could be very exciting not just for Scotland but for the rest of the UK as well. A chance to England to reimagine itself and reinvent itself properly for a post-colonial era.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yep - defence, Trident, UK/England's international standing, economics, political balance (much more likely that a rump UK will have a Conservative government, in the short term at least). All sorts of stuff. Could be very exciting not just for Scotland but for the rest of the UK as well. A chance to England to reimagine itself and reinvent itself properly for a post-colonial era.

If they wanted to do that, why not just dump Scotland? Let's run another vote in England to see who wants to keep Scotland around. I'm far too uninformed to make any opinion, though. The last time England fought one of it's strongholds over freedom, they had 30 years of unrest.
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

If they wanted to do that, why not just dump Scotland? Let's run another vote in England to see who wants to keep Scotland around. I'm far too uninformed to make any opinion, though. The last time England fought one of it's strongholds over freedom, they had 30 years of unrest.

I don't think there's any need to fight any one over this. We have (and hopefully would continue to have) very good relations with the Scots. Recent history suggests British (English?) overseas military action anywhere in the world is more likely to lead to total disaster.
    To be honest, I still don't see it happening, but it will be close. However, that will make sour grapes if 47% want out and 53% want in. I don't know how you can govern a country where almost half the people want out, but that's democracy, it isn't how Jeremy Bentham would have wanted it. Also, I don't see how the UK (I won't call it England) can reinvent and reimagine itself, that seems a bizarre point.
    It's up for grabs but still think the Nos will win. May depend on turnout and how many young voters turn out.
  • Well the polls have now closed and we should get the results at around d 6.30am tomorrow morning.

The latest YouGov poll suggested a NO campaign victory 54% to 46%.

Andy Murray has been getting a lot of abuse on Twitter. Should have probably just voted and kept his mouth shut.

He's not going to get a great reception at Wimbledon next year either way!
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    So who else is pulling an all-nighter then?
  • Nah, I'll check the results when I get up in the morning.
    I'm on tentahooks, but I'll have to succumb to sleep. I've been totally zonked all this week...

If it's a yes, let's see if Sean keeps to his word...
  • In about 8 hours we know how the new UK flag could look like:
    SNN1406GXB-682_1437682a.jpg

Or if Wales finally gets a part in a possible new Union Jack:
    193028924.jpg

So what would James Bond actually think of all this? And.....I....think I'm surprised to see a rather lacklustre interest so far. By jolly Scots and Brits: It's quite a thing really..... At least for me it is :-). Not only a wunderful example of honest transparent democracy. But also exciting to see what happens in any case.

:-).

Somebody crafty on here should edit the flags billowing in the wind at the end of Skyfall to the ones above!