Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,866
    Oh I think if you look hard enough, you can still find good horror films. I saw a question recently that asked 'What was the best decade for horror?', I thought about it, and answered 2000 - 2009. I listed the following 5 films as examples:

May
    The House Of The Devil
    Outpost
    Dog Soldiers
    The Descent
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Outpost
    Excellent film, one of my favorite film of the last decade.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823
    S. Korea's I saw the Devil is the best Horror film I've seen this year!

I think the last Hellraiser film I saw was in 2002;

I just looked it up on WIKI and there are 9 films, I don't remember seeing that many!!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Outpost
    Excellent film, one of my favorite film of the last decade.
    An excellent film, goice choice DC. 2012 will bring us Outpost II. I don't think it's needed, but we'll see.

One sheet poster for 'The Woman'.

After seeing the trailer, I am still somewhat undecided on this, despite the names. I have not yet seen ROMAN, I loved May, and Sick Girl was a slice of schlocky campy 1950's scifi fun, but The Woman, though I will see it when I can (it does star, allbeit in a supporting role, Angela Bettis, afterall), I just can't make my mind up about it.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Martha Marcy Ray Marlene

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441326/

Cast:
    Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson, John Hawkes, Hugh Dancy,
    Brady Corbet, Christopher Abbott, Michael Chmiel, Maria Dizzia,
    Julia Garner, Louisa Krause, Diana Masi, Allen McCullough,
    Adam David Thompson.

The Film:
    MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE stars Elizabeth Olsen as Martha, a damaged woman haunted by painful memories and increasing paranoia, who struggles to reassimilate with her family after fleeing a cult.

Eden Lake was pretty good. Although not a horror film per se. But it made me not like teens and ignorant parents all that much. The horror of it was that there actually are some twisted teens like that on the loose.

Anyway. I've only seen the first two Hellraiser movies. They weren't crap. But that looks like cheap crap.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2011 Posts: 15,681
    Luc Besson's 'The Lady' with Michelle Yeoh first trailer :

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    More images from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo:

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    new TV Spot for Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark RED BAND trailer

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/frightfest-2011-the-innkeepers-reaction

A traditional ghost story set very much in the here and now, The Innkeepers proves that the Spanish and the Japanese don’t have a monopoly on the sub-genre while confirming writer/director Ti West as one of the major talents in horror today.

Opening with a series of still photographs displaying the facelifts of the Yankee Pedlar Inn, Connecticut (a real place, in case you fancy scaring yourself half to death…), over the last 100 years, it’s then established that the rambling old building is in its final days of business.

The remaining employees are beautifully observed slackers Claire (Sara Paxton) and Luke (Pat Healy), while only the second floor is open to guests – a mother with her young son and a washed-up actress turned psychic (played with dignity and a pleasing lack of vanity by Kelly McGillis).

The inevitable backstory emerges: a woman called Madeline O’Malley is said to have hung herself in the inn after being jilted on her wedding day; she roams the corridors looking for her old lover… or perhaps a new one.

Claire and Luke fill their long, lonely shifts looking at hauntings online and playing amateur ghostbusters, creeping through the inn armed with recording equipment and a nervous sense of humour as the piano-and-icicles score melts into the ominous sound design: bass rumbles and needle-thin whines.

Then a final guest comes to stay. An old man, alone, he talks slowly and politely but screams WRONG as he insists on returning to the room he once occupied on the third floor. His arrival, if it wasn’t creepy enough, is preceded by a title reading Chapter Three: A Final Guest. (The first two chapters are A Long Weekend and Madeline O’Malley.)

Naturally he brings the fear.

Or rather Ti West does. Having spent 80 minutes establishing Claire and Luke’s offbeat, humorous characters and their affectionate friendship – these are people you believe in wholesale and want to hang with – he then, as he must, abuses our feelings by putting them through the wringer.

As always, the more you care, the more you scare.

Unlike the climax of West’s delicious The House Of The Devil, for which this is a companion piece, The Innkeepers’ final act is not a case of all hell breaking loose but rather a tightening of all that has gone before.

The camera still glides, glacially, and the lurking terror finally emerges front and centre to strangle viewers with an unhurried, implacable grip.

It is rare to see a director working with such assurance and evidencing such patience and belief (in self and audiences) from every frame. If it wasn’t for its right-here, right-now characters and the modern technology they handle, The Innkeepers could have been made at any point in the last 50 years.

Like a ghost from the past stepping into our frenetic age, West's film stands before us inviting comparisons to cinema’s most potent ghost stories and refusing to disappear in their long shadows.

This one is a keeper: classic, in every sense.

-----

I can't say that I liked the sound of The Inkeepers, but after reading that, this film now has my interest. I loved The House Of The Devil (it's one of the reasons that the decade of 2000-2009 is my favourite in horror), so i'm interested in how TI stacks up against THOTD. Especially according to the above article, they're supposed to be companion pieces.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2011 Posts: 4,411
    Mr. Popper's Penguins

Delayd for 2 weeks (Release date swith with Super 8.), but since last thursday in Dutch cinema. Cowboys & Aliens.

Dutch subtiteld trailer...

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    The Hunger Games teaser trailer

I've been waiting for this!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/

http://www.facebook.com/thehungergamesmovie?sk=wall

Pedro Almodóvar's La piel que habito aka The Skin I Live In teaser trailer

Pedro Almodóvar's La piel que habito aka The Skin I Live In trailer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1189073/
    My interest in Resident Evil: Retribution is back on:
    http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/26138

And the Piranha 3DD trailer is almost upon us:
    http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/26136
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Trespass with Nico and Niko directed by Joel who shouldn't be making movies anymore after he butchered the great Batman series that Tim Burton started

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674784/

To his defense, I might say he has made decent movies before and after his stint as the "hired to butcher" Batman director. WB also wanted lighter movies after Returns so Schumacher delivered.
  • I heard rumors that they were going to bring out a Die Hard V but now I can believe it. >:p

FFS Willis is past it now as McClane, I'm a fan of the movies, but even thought the fourth shouldn't have gone ahead, especially after a 12 year wait since Vengeance.

Lethal Weapon was bad enough once they went ahead with the fourth one and here we are in, or will be heading for, similar territory.

This will be the AVTAK of the John McClane/DH franchise unfortunately.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if after this they'll begin work on a sixth. :L
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    @Baltimore_007, I think I've said before (honestly I can't remember) but Willis plans to do Die Hard 5 and 6 then stop making them. He wants 6 to be the final film.

I have no problem with the fourth personally, Willis looked great in it but would rather the upcoming one was the end of the series. Indeed we could get into A View To A Kill territory with the final one.

Rather Die Hard than the stupid amount of Pirates of the Caribbean films we'll get in my opinion.
  • But this is Die Hard not freakin' Police Academy, even with the said Lethal Weapons they realized that four was enough and even then that was too much, even though there has been whispers of Glover and Gibson getting together for a fifth run, whether this sees the light of day remains to be seen but I hope they fail with it

Bottom line is that Willis at 55 years +, is not appropriate for the role anymore, and this isin't Bond where you can just replace the actor and carry on, Die Hard/MCClane IS Willis, it just wouldn't be right to have anyone else in the role

I thought 1995's DHWAV was a fine end to the series, or would of been, at least if they were going do to a 4th they should of had it done and dusted before 12 years to the next one, that was far too long a break in the series.

The plan was to have the fourth out by 2000 or 2001 but 9/11 threw that off so we ended up with it in 2007.

And hay, what about Indy, Rambo and Rocky? Not exactly young stars either and much longer than 12 years between films.

As for Lethal Weapon there is to be a reboot. I'm not joking. http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/warner-bros-sets-gangster-squad-scribe-for-lethal-weapon-reboot/
  • Doesn't come as much of a surprise really, some people don't know where to stop, I never saw the last Indiana Jones but the idea of Ford coming back for another run didn't really sit well

Rocky was great, I have seen every one and they all entertain but it is simply a different series of films from what we have here

New Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol poster:

Another film series that'll get a few more films I bet...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can't wait for MI4....and hopefully Julia!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Doesn't come as much of a surprise really, some people don't know where to stop, I never saw the last Indiana Jones but the idea of Ford coming back for another run didn't really sit well
    DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^#(^
    Doesn't come as much of a surprise really, some people don't know where to stop, I never saw the last Indiana Jones but the idea of Ford coming back for another run didn't really sit well
    DON'T WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^#(^
    He didn't watch the one and I doubt they'll be any more as it is. I can't see Lucas coming up with an idea anytime soon.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    reboot the Lethal Weapon films? where you are going to find a psycho to play Riggs? Mel Gibson was born to play the psycho!!
  • How old is Ford now, maybe he won't be back for another go, he went along with it for a 4th time by thinking probably 'right, I'll give it one last shot just for old times sake', and no doubt he was paid a handsome amount for it, not that he really needs the money.

The key thing here is that actors and producers need to know where to draw the line and say 'enough is enough'

Only pity is, some seem incapable of doing so

and Gibson will play Riggs again, IF they go ahead with a 5th, which I sincerely hope never sees the light of day, you can't have the character played by anyone else, same as with McClane

They should of killed him off at the end of the 2nd as intended but they decided to save the character and make some further (redundant) entries.

(I wanted to do an angry face but the animations icon won't allow it)

Ford was 69 this year.
    and Gibson will play Riggs again, IF they go ahead with a 5th, which I sincerely hope never sees the light of day, you can't have the character played by anyone else, same as with McClane
    Well, someone out there would beg to differ. A reboot is happening.
  • well I guess we'll have to face the music.

Only this time, instead of Riggs and Murtaugh up against Heroin dealers, South African Diplomats, Bent Cops and Chinese Triads they should focus on a dispute at a retirement home. :L

I suppose Pesci will be along for the ride too, okay okay okay etc etc

The big question is who would you cast as Riggs and Murtaugh?