Bond's Best Kill?

Comments

• ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Lots of good suggestions above. I do like Sanchez and Locque, but I'll give an honourable mention to Drax in Moonraker. I quite like how Roger Helps him into the airlock. And Stromberg getting shot by his own under-table tube thing is good.
    Wow! I don't think I'd ever thought of this one. Nice choice for a discussion The_Preacher 711.
    I think I would have to choose from these:

Professor Dent- the contraversial cold-blooded kill which was the first of several
    Donald "Red" Grant- after an epic battle, Bond uses his enemy's own trademark against him
    Vargas- Bond didn't even need to aim; he just fired away!
    Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd- more comical kills, but certainly satisfaction for Bond
    Scaramanga- he proved to be a little better than his so-called "equal"
    Hugo Drax- an ingenious death for a criminal mastermind
    Necros- definately cold-blooded
    Brad Whitaker- a good use of Q's nifty gadget
    Franz Sanchez- he really deserved it!
    Alec Trevelyan- somewhat bittersweet for Bond
    Xenia Onatopp- extremely hilarious
    Elektra King- one of my Top 10 Bond Moments
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Scaramanga, Drax, Locque, Stromberg, Grant and Sanchez, no doubt !!
    Quoting DaltonCraig007:
    Scaramanga, Drax, Locque, Stromberg, Grant and Sanchez, no doubt !!

Those seem to be the more brutal ones, which are pretty much the best!
  • Hmm...so many to choose from. A few thoughts:

DN/Dent - probably the best. Sets Bond up as calm, collected, and a bit of a bastard (in a good way).
    FRWL/Grant - I like the fight better than the actual death, but the twisting of the knife at the very end...wow.
    OHMSS/Nameless ski guy - Snowplow Guy was more brutal (all the guys at school loved that bit) but it was his own doing, not Bond's. The guy who went sailing over the cliff - that terrified me when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine that happening to me and the several seconds of sheer terror knowing what was going to happen and that there was nothing you could do.
    FYEO/Locque - I actually don't rate that very high. The fact is, the car was visibly falling off the cliff already when Bond kicked it. Even worse was finding out that Moore refused to kick the car unless it was clear it was going to fall anyway because he didn't want Bond to appear "nasty" (according to the commentary track). Dude - you're playing JAMES BOND. Yeesh.
    TLD/Jeep guy - not as cool as the others but I loved that Bond kicked out the window to create the air flow so his chute would deploy - I love it when Bond is shown to be a thinking hero.
    LTK/Sanchez -One of my favourites - Bond looks like he's been through hell (did Moore ever get dirty or muss his hair?), looks defeated, then pulls a savage horrifying death that allows Leiter some measure of involvement in the revenge. Brutal, personal...perfect.
    TWINE/Elektra King - Brosnan's finest moment, and his best line. Great to have a dual meaning that wasn't a junior school level double entendre.
    CR/The first two, Dimitrios, and the replacement bomber - one of the reasons I think Craig was instantly solidified for me as the best Bond since Connery (one reviewer noted he was the only actor since Connery to play Bond as "a bit of a bastard"). First fight - great brutal fight that made Bond have to "work for it", plus you see that he's affected by it. Second kill - reminiscent of Dent, and shows how quickly this Bond learns, adapts, and moves on. Dimitrios - again, the placing him in the chair and slap on the face is pure Connery. The replacement bomber - once again, you see that Bond is a thinker, and his little self-satisfied smile after the explosion was perfect, showing that he is a cold blooded bastard and that he is indeed a man with an ego.
    QOS /Slate - I prefer that kill to Mitchel. Again, brutal fight and Bond shows he's resourceful. Stabbing him in the juglar *and* the femoral artery shows that he's a highly trained professional (or badass, depending on your point of view). And the way he calmly looks around while he waits for Slate to bleed out - that's cold, man (again, in a good way).
    I'm with you on the nameless ski-guy, Slate, and Dimitrios! Definately a few underrated kills that define Bond as brutal and cold-blooded. I personally cringe every time Bond throws the ski guy off the cliff and his head hits the edge of the cliff, and you hear that cracking noise. Man, that's brutal!
    Capungo in Goldfinger is another good one. I love the look on Bond's face as he realizes that he's about to get shot, and then he spots the heater. With just a flick of the wirst, the capungo gets fried and it's positively....well, you know the quote.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Slate in QoS or Locque in FYEO.
  • Anyone realize that Moore's Bond actually shot more villains than Connery's? With the exception of Dent (you can make a case for Blofeld clone in DAF), Moore actually shot more bad guys. Ironic.
    I was originally going to give a top five or whatever, but I'm going to play by the rules, dammit and list his one, single best! :-D

For me, James Bond's best kill (in the films) is his slaying of Professor Dent in 'Dr. No'. Yes, there are so many more to choose from: Grant in FRWL, Oddjob in GF, Sandoor in TSWLM, the Miami International terrorist in CR, the list goes on...but Professor Dent takes the cake for me. Firstly, I liked the character of Professor Dent; he was a squirrelly little nuisance and I just couldn't wait to see how Bond was going to deal with him. Secondly, Bond truly has outsmarted his opponent in this scene, perhaps no more so in any other time in the series; he catches Dent off guard, and knows he is never in any danger (knowing Dent's gun is empty when he drops it). Finally, I cannot get over how bada** the 'you've had your six' line is. It may be my favorite quote in the entire series.

All that being said, I do have a huge Dr. No bias; it is one of my favorite Bond films. But that being said, I hope I've made somewhat of a case!
    The fight to the death with Grant.
  • Professor Dent, Alec Trevelyan and Donald Red Grant.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Locque, Stromberg, Dent.

But best hit goes to the awesome kick Moore gives in the karate school before escaping ! :-bd
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Best kill:
    Sanchez.

Runners up:
    Necros, Killifer, Grant, Prof. Dent & Dr. Kauffman.
    I agree - Sanchez and Necros were good kills !!
    I agree - Sanchez and Necros were good kills !!
    Yep, Timothy Dalton showing his cold-blooded side with Necros, and his revenge side with Sanchez.
  • id say bond killing blofeld in four your eyes only
    stromberg in spy who loved me
    elektra king in world is not enough
    carver elliot in tomorow never dies
    Sanchez in LTK after all the pain and death he caused his end was very fitting and brutal . I loved it . Made my day when Dalton did the deed....
    I liked the Mollaka kill. Bond was completely unconcerned by the dozen guards pointing automatic rifles at him.

I also liked the Kaufmann and King killings. Brosnan was at his best when he was cold. It was easy to believe Connery or Dalton could kill in cold blood, but because the Brosnan films were always more light-hearted than the others, it was a greater step for him.

The deaths where Bond used his head and his environment were always good, too. I particularly liked the way he rerouted the steam pressure through the reactor core to shoot the plutonium rod into Renard. Likewise, I always thought the attempted killing of Zao in Cuba was decent, because I liked the way Bond used the MRI machine to disarm him.
    Lets not forget Killifer.
    Most of the Licence to Kill "kills" were very good. Even the way he set up Krest to be killed by Sanchez...
    Here's something I came across for you Craig fans (guilty!) :

• Half way through Fleming would of been spinning like a top

How do you kill the main arch nemesis?, drive them out to a desert in south america and leave some motor oil, what will they think of next

Saw bits of that I hadn't seen in three years, it came back to an extent of why I didn't like it first time around, I guess I grew up at a time when Bond wasn't so 'hectic' you could say
    Actually, the best Bond kills for me is when Bond kill Prof. Dent in Dr No, really cold blood agent. The other one is when Bond burns Sanchez alive in License to Kill
  • ah, at a time when Bond was more sensible you could say, at least with Connery, nothing too extravagant or inplausible just what you'd expect for the time or how it should be even

If Dalton himself was covered in gasoline at the end seems quite a risk to get out a lighter at such close quarters, but he really had little choice given the circumstances

I always liked the Moonraker ending, 'take a giant step for mankind' etc, Bond always finds a way to get out of trouble

• The Mitchell kill was great. So was Scaramanga's
    The Mitchell kill was great. So was Scaramanga's
    I'm just disgruntled at the fact that the set up the Mitchell kill for the gun barrell stunt, and then didn't even do it.

Well, they did in a trailer, but c'monnnn.

I always felt like the title song for QoS should have come after Mitchell's death, it seems like it cut the intended PTS in two.
    Just watched TSWLM yesterday, and I'd say that Stromberg's death is one of Bond's most ruthless and cold kills. One shot probably would have done it, but Bond thought otherwise! Also, the first two shots were a little too low, if you get my meaning, so that boosts the ruthlessness even more.
    Another question for the Community, spawned (as always) by a Bond-geek chat on the train ride to work.....

What's you favourite kill carried out by Mr Bond?

For me, it's a tie between Stromberg in TSWLM & Locque in FYEO.

Both for the same reason- very seriously done, and for Moore's Bond excessively brutal.

You?

Locque for me like you said brutal and seriously done and in the context of the movie i think as a viewer you feel bond is totally justified in his actions. good acting by sir roger.
  • edited January 2012 Posts: 624
    bekkibond wrote:
    I am with Darth Dimi, the killing of Professor Dent is the result of a beautifully laid trap
    'That's a Smith & Wesson 45. And you've had your six.' Simple statement of fact before a cold kill
    It's funny because its not even a Smith & Wesson Dent is using. It's a Colt M1911A1.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited January 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I already listed them by movie, but let's count them down.

10. There's a rocket in Naomi's pocket.
    9. "I'll show Scaramanga who the real dummy is".
    8. "Will the real Peter Franks please stand up and die"?
    7. "I can't kiss this dead desperate housewife with you watching Kauffman".
    6. Oddjob finds the Fort Knox vault to be positively shocking.
    5. Roger really should kick his bad habit of kicking cars off of cliffs.
    4. "Oh yeah Dryden, you're #2. Who's the man!? Lucky #007 is mine. Go Daniel, It's my birthday!".
    3. Jamaica is embroiled in a bullet conspiracy when the coroners find six bullets in Professor Dent.
    2. SC to Robert Shaw: "Old man!? Do I look like Roger Moore to you"?
    1. Sanchez goes out in a blaze of inglory.