Hashima 'Ghost' Island and the death of Severene.

13»

Comments

Ludovico wrote:
    Darker villains for TLD would have made the film better (not that it was not good, but I mean really better, like maybe classic), but I think it would then have suffered the same fate as OHMSS: audiences would have disliked it at first.
    TLD has kind of a pre-Bond 60s adventure film feel, it somehow reminds me of Hitchcock or Donen. I love it for that.

boldfinger wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Darker villains for TLD would have made the film better (not that it was not good, but I mean really better, like maybe classic), but I think it would then have suffered the same fate as OHMSS: audiences would have disliked it at first.
    TLD has kind of a pre-Bond 60s adventure film feel, it somehow reminds me of Hitchcock or Donen. I love it for that.

It's a nice little movie. Ticks along very well I think. Parts flag and some have dated badly (mujahadeen allies), but it's still one of my favourites.
    Getafix wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Joe Don Baker is the main weakness for me. Koskov I think plays dumb for a reason - he is still obviously a nasty piece of work though.

Baker is weak and Krabbe does very well with the material he has, but they could have made Koskov far, far, far more menacing even when he played the KGB defector.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed. TLD had "epicness" in spades. It's up there with TB and Spy in that category. And as an aside, I'd love to see B24 shoot for the sort of grandeur that TLD, TB and Spy possessed.

• edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    boldfinger wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Agreed. TLD had "epicness" in spades. It's up there with TB and Spy in that category. And as an aside, I'd love to see B24 shoot for the sort of grandeur that TLD, TB and Spy possessed.

Funny, I love TLD and Spy very much, but do not put them in the same 'epic' category. TLD I feel is strong because of the central performances and some old fashioned espioage elements. I see TLD as a 'smaller', more intimate film, although with some great action. Spy is spectacle on the YOLT model. I would be happy if Bond24 was aiming to match either of these films though.
    I want Bond 24 to be akin to TB in scope and atmosphere.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Ludovico wrote:
    I want Bond 24 to be akin to TB in scope and atmosphere.

It would be interesting to see Craig in an epic scale Bond. Very intriguing.
  • Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I prefer him in GE actually.

He reminds me of the annoying Sheriff character in the early Rog movies. I'm not generally a fan of having too many American characters in the movies, especially the daft/goofy types.

Interesting. I read somewhere that Jill St. John was the first American Bond girl, and unlike her more demure European (and Asian) predecessors, Tiffany Case was loud, brassy, and pushy.

I thought Tiffany became kind of annoying in parts of DAF. She's set up well but her character suffers from poor writing in the second half and becomes weak comic relief.
    Tiffany starts well,she is brash,confident,street-wise,but just degenerates into a total thick bimbo as the film progresses.

But thats DAF for you....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Personally, I love Tiffany. Always have. Sure, the character is not as well written in the second half, but I think she has great chemistry with Connery's Bond and she has some very memorable scenes. I think she masquerades as being tough and no-nonsense at the start, but really she's quite naive (the way she implores Q about her fate, whether she'll be sent to prison for her role in the diamond smuggling).
  • Well, I wonder if Tiffany's character was a commentary about American women in general.... :-?
    To some degree, I imagine it was. And not an entirely inaccurate commentary, as such things go.