Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's a small query, but I wonder if Cruise will have really short hair in this one. It seems to alternate every film, and I'm really not sure if that's on purpose or not. Funnily enough, my favorite films in the series tend to be the ones where his hair is longer.
    Same here. I think the look works for him. It made sense in MI4 where he was in prison and maybe hadn't gotten the opportunity to trim it.
    I see that too ; short hair every another movie, long-ish hair every other. But still 1 and 4 are my favorite mission impossible movies...and like others have said; I love em all!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love all of them but the third. It just doesn't sit well with me, and I have a hard time getting through it. I'm hoping he keeps the long hair for the fifth.
    The only problem I have with 3 is that it feels like J.J. Abrams show Alias. And don't get me wrong I love Alias. It just feels like the show's feel and ideas were brought to mission impossible. Agent living with a person who he has to lie about his job...personal drama yada yada yada. Doesn't fit with Mission Impossible if you ask me... and it just feels like it's repeating the same themes seen in the show. But still I love it. It's just not my favorite.
    That's how I felt with it. It had the typical Abrams stamp, and that might've been fine for something involving science fiction, but for a film series like 'M:I,' I didn't care for it in the slightest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I liked 3 for the most part. I think if the story took out Julia and the corrupt IMF agent It would have been a much better movie. I do enjoy that it had the tone of the first movie.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The thing I hate about MI3 is the Rabbit's Foot. It's the object at the center of the plot, yet we never know what it does or why it's important for Ethan to get his hands on it before Davian. If I knew the risk I would feel more suspense and root for Ethan more, but we never once get any information about it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know we've discussed it before, but it's merely a Macguffin to move the story along, nothing more. I agree, though, it's one of the many things I don't like in the movie.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 16,333
    It's pretty obvious what the rabbits foot is. Based on the Biohazard symbol on the sides. it's a biological weapon. Davian was probably going to sell it to terrorists. It's like the Lektor. I have no problem with it. :)
    Murdock wrote:
    It's pretty obvious what the rabbits foot is. Based on the Biohazard symbol on the sides. it's a biological weapon. Davian was probably going to sell it to terrorists. It's like the Lektor. I have no problem with it. :)

I couldn't recall that as I rarely watch the movie! ;)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I couldn't recall that as I rarely watch the movie! ;)

I haven't seen any of them in years. I had a great time with the marathon I had with them last weekend. Each one is good in their own way. I love the tension in MI-3. It's always on the edge. Especially when I first saw it in theaters. Though I didn't like it as much. In a lot of ways, It feels like this movie inspired The Dark Knight.

Though as I said earlier, I'd remove Julia completely and the Corrupt IMF agent. One thing that was a really big missed opportunity was not bringing Henry Czerny back as Kittridge. I enjoyed his character from the first film. I liked Lawrence Fishburne but I feel he was oddly miscast.
    The whole film is quite intense, it's one of the few things I like about it, but I don't care for the Abrams stamp, the direction, the villain (that's Davian, not PSH. I love the latter), the finale, and the action sequences (I was really let down that we don't get a M:I-2 recreation, in a way, of Cruise storming the skyscraper and actually retrieving the Rabbit's Foot).
    I agree with the Lab Heist. Would have added to the tension rather than listening to the two random IMF agents talk. I didn't like either of them. I think it should have been just Luther and Ethan from Shanghai onward.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I know we've discussed it before, but it's merely a Macguffin to move the story along, nothing more. I agree, though, it's one of the many things I don't like in the movie.

I understand what purpose it served, I just think it's just a stupid one that weakens the whole film.
    Murdock wrote:

Yes, that is obvious, however, since it is the object the villain is trying so hard to get I feel more emphasis should have been put on it.
    I couldn't find a big enough picture of the physical prop, but here are the plans for it.
    178034.jpg

With Skyfall being extraordinarily successful at the box office, it also opened the door for an extremely irritating number of logical fallacies in the story, the most baffling of which coming in the conclusive battle sequence taking place in Scotland. These fallacies suggest a grim outlook for the prospects of success for Britain's police and intelligence agencies, including even a complete failure by a younger version of technology wizard "Q" in this film, and one has to wonder if large bands of terrorist thugs with easy access to secret networks, heavy guns, and assault helicopters could really exist within Britain's borders.

And yet all the dislike for the recent MI series seems to be largely Abrams orientated and moaning about the Julia character who actually gives Nathan a human side and for me made MI4 rather painfull and akward for Nathan untill the end of the movie when you learn a lot more.

I do hope that MI5 will continue to go where EON has failed to go and deliver a great actioner with a smart plot and a heart. For me the last two MI movie trumped the last two 007 movies in being more entertaining and better worked out.

Roll on MI5
    SaintMark wrote:
    With Skyfall being extraordinarily successful at the box office, it also opened the door for an extremely irritating number of logical fallacies in the story, the most baffling of which coming in the conclusive battle sequence taking place in Scotland. These fallacies suggest a grim outlook for the prospects of success for Britain's police and intelligence agencies, including even a complete failure by a younger version of technology wizard "Q" in this film, and one has to wonder if large bands of terrorist thugs with easy access to secret networks, heavy guns, and assault helicopters could really exist within Britain's borders.

And yet all the dislike for the recent MI series seems to be largely Abrams orientated and moaning about the Julia character who actually gives Nathan a human side and for me made MI4 rather painfull and akward for Nathan untill the end of the movie when you learn a lot more.

I do hope that MI5 will continue to go where EON has failed to go and deliver a great actioner with a smart plot and a heart. For me the last two MI movie trumped the last two 007 movies in being more entertaining and better worked out.

Roll on MI5

Man, that's hilarious.

And by the way, it's Ethan, not Nathan, and I agree, I love Julia and think the ending to MI4 was the best of all the MI films. I never saw that cameo coming, and I was blown away.
    SaintMark wrote:

Roll on MI5

Man, that's hilarious.

And by the way, it's Ethan, not Nathan, and I agree, I love Julia and think the ending to MI4 was the best of all the MI films. I never saw that cameo coming, and I was blown away.

Sorry was half watching an episode of CASTLE with Nathan Fillion.

SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Roll on MI5

Man, that's hilarious.

Sorry was half watching an episode of CASTLE with Nathan Fillion.

Nothing wrong with that. It is always good to bask in the glory of a goddess walking on earth every once in a while (Ms. Stana Katic).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    She'd be great. I hope this happens.
    Agreed. Finally some rumors about Mission Impossible

They should wait until M:I 6 to film in London. :O)
    Murdock wrote:

I'm actually hoping this is the last one.
    Murdock wrote:

Did you get the joke?
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Did you get the joke?

Of course, but I'm sure you like many others would actually like to see a sixth MI film while I would rather have it end at the right time and not drag out. That's what I'm worried about the most, at least.
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Did you get the joke?

Of course, but I'm sure you like many others would actually like to see a sixth MI film while I would rather have it end at the right time and not drag out. That's what I'm worried about the most, at least.

Well It depends on if M:I 5 is any good. To be honest, I'd like to see a television reboot of Mission: Impossible set in the present with an all new cast of characters.
  • Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Did you get the joke?

I think Tom would be to old, when M:I 5 comes out he'll be 53, and if they did make a supposed M:I 6, there would be a minimum of four years in between them, making him 57.