Languages You Know...?

edited April 2014 in General Discussion Posts: 368
Hey,
I'd like to ask which languages you know...
I know German (mother tongue), English, Latin, Ancient Greek and I'm just about to learn Hebrew (yeah, I like old languages ^^). I also know a few sentences in Italian and French, but I can't really speak it... :)

There are so many languages I'd love to learn (like French, Russian, Italian, sign language, Polish, Turkish, ...), but you can't have everything... Which do you know?
Regards, Miranda

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited April 2014 Posts: 7,978
    Well i'm very bad at languages, so Dutch (native) English and a little German is all I can muster. I tried French, Croatian and failed, but i'll try Bahasa Indonesia as well, which shouldn't be difficult.
    English only....i dont need any more ;)
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Quite a cunning linguist, Miranda!

For me, only Swedish, English and some German.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    English and a few Japanese phrases. Sentences? No.
    Tiny bit of Spanish words. Sentences? No.
    Always wanted to learn French; I think it's beautiful.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,012
    Portuguese (native), English (near-native), Spanish (near-native speaker but I make a bit of a mess when I need to write); French (a bit rusty for lack of use but I can manage), German (constantly trying to improve it but it's fine for everyday life). I understand Italian reasonably and I guess I can speak enough to survive :D I understand a couple things in a few other languages and can say things in others but can't say I speak them.
  • Wow, cunning linguist, Sandy! And your languages are more useful than mine (since nobody speaks Latin, Ancient Greek or Ancient Hebrew... ^^)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can speak relatively good French and some small phrases in German. That's about how far it goes!
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,012
    Wow, cunning linguist, Sandy! And your languages are more useful than mine (since nobody speaks Latin, Ancient Greek or Ancient Hebrew... ^^)

Thanks @mirandafrost. Depends on what you do for a living, I guess! Those 3 languages must be very useful if you are a historian or a theologist, for example. For someone like me I admit they would be useless.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 368
    Sandy wrote:
    Thanks @mirandafrost. Depends on what you do for a living, I guess! Those 3 languages must be very useful if you are a historian or a theologist, for example. For someone like me I admit they would be useless.
    Yes that's right. For me it is useful (theologist-to-be). But I can speak to nobody with these languages. ;)
    Sandy wrote:
    Yes that's right. For me it is useful (theologist-to-be). But I can speak to nobody with these languages. ;)

This might sound completely unrelated but it isn't: do you like Sherlock Holmes?
  • Yes I do... Why?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Sandy wrote:

Well you might not be able to speak them to anyone, but especially Latin is a fantastic base when learning French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian or Portugese. Many other European languages have a lot of Latin words as well, so it's very good you can read it. I wish I could, as a historian indeed it would've been very usefull.

Yes I do... Why?

Because you must check Laurie R. King's Mary Russel series. Trust me on this one ;)
  • English (native), Chinese (Mandarin, fluent), Spanish (intermediate), Chinese (Cantonese, very basic)... that's about it, unfortunately!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dutch
    English
    French
    a few words of Japanese

and of course the universal language known as math. ;-)

• english, german, swiss-german, a-bit french

English! ;) A little French, then really it is just good manners in Spanish, Italian, and German!
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm fluent in Swedish, Spanish, Finnish and English. I do know some French aswell.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Norwegian of course. Swedish and Danish are closely related (Like Spanish and Italian), so naturally those. Some German and a little French. And the language of love.
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    And the language of love.

As do I, always have.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 23,561
    And the language of love.

@Thunderfinger:

This or this? ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:

">this does not show, so not sure. Guess the answer is This.
    I speak French as a mother tongue and English of course. I also know a bit of Italian which I'm trying to learn.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2014 Posts: 17,813
    Quite a few:

English
    Norn Irish
    Ulster Scots
    Austalian
    American
    Canadian
    New Zealandian
    Gibaltarian
    Jerseyan
    Sarkian
    Guernseyian
    Isle of Manian
    Isle of Wightian
    Hebridesian
    Dragonpolian (naturally).
    But not Dragonpolish?
    But not Dragonpolish?

Do you know, I missed that one but I didn't want to appear big-headed.
    I also speak thunder finger language.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Dragonpol wrote:
    But not Dragonpolish?

Do you know, I missed that one but I didn't want to appear big-headed.

No Dragonpolese, either?
    Probably not, but Dragonpolynesian fluently.
    Well, I am Dragonpolitan...